Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2006 Display Reviews —› Italy (Pirotecnica Soldi) reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 25, 2006 20:57:12

First post!

Post your reviews of Italy's frustrating, yet beautiful show!

Posted: Jun 25, 2006 20:58:01   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys, (2nd post!)

I just got back from what I call an excellent display (with excellent weather), though the biggest disappointment was the difficulties with the ending as well as the latter part of the second to last segment. I believe that Soldi did have some difficulties in 2002 (or another year), but I don't think as distinctive as this one shown before us tonight. During the song "Hung Up", when it went "the lights are on but there's no one home" was probably the only part that fitted the ending! In any case, I'm sure a good portion of the ending was missing, but at least it ended off in a thunderous "Italian" manner.

The display, in general, was very traditional and exciting, though not totally original to me. The colors were pretty good and were nicely chosen accordingly with the type of music harmony. Quite a lot of shell of shells in between parts, which gave the impression of several faux finale pieces during the show. Moreover, a lot of salutes were fired in this display, while also indirectly being exploded after some variation of shells of swirls. I was pleased to see some silver girandolas that ended off a segment so peacefully.

Besides the last part(s) of the show, synchronization was very well done while the music was enjoyable all the way through. Like I said, it's a shame that the fireworks didn't fire during most of the song "Hung Up". In fact, this is what everyone was looking forward to the most considering that this is a popular song.

Anyone knows what happened? I'm pretty sure this will all be taken into account, unfortunately. Anyhow, I'll have a full review sometime tomorrow, so I'm eager to hear what you guys thought of tonight's show in the meantime. Nonetheless, I thought it was quite intense/loud while the bottom effects were nicely done, especially the segment with the blue and red mines. This was nicely performed considering the color establishment for the man and woman in the soundtrack. The start of the show after the countdown was slow, but the bottom red flares were well presented. In the long run, however, this was a powerful show with plenty of action to keep us on our feet.

Good night!

Trav.

Posted: Jun 25, 2006 21:20:44

The technical problems at the end of the display were due to the computers firing the show losing the communications link with the firing modules. It took a full reboot before the system started working again. Just to be clear, there were no problems with the setup itself at La Ronde or any of the infrastructure - it was all computer related.

I'll post a full review of this very enjoyable display when I get a chance.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 25, 2006 21:59:34   Edited by: Enkil

Well, to start off, I think it's really worth to talk about this beautiful weather we had. What suprised me the most was when I looked at the Centre Molson clock at 10pm, the temperature was at 26°C and it is was still very confortable outside! Normally, after 9:30pm, it gets a little bit cold.

Anyways, I thought the opening of the show was excellent and its little ending was super exciting! It was from that point that I thought the display was only going to get even better.

But I wasn't quite right. After the first segment, maybe the show lost a little bit of its excitement, but yet I thought it was very well done for a serious show. However, I still felt that something was missing or maybe I thought that they could have improved each segment for it to be a real Jupiter winner because I believe the show itself, had huge potential.

Synchronization was very good for most of its segments, in general. I wouldn't say it was flawless, because I think they could have improved it a little bit more. I'm not exactly sure if the theme, the show and the music altogether really had a connection, but it didn't really bother me. I liked what I was listening to. I suppose the concept of the theme (Italy, and the world?) wasn't that orginal or wasn't taken seriously.

There were many beautiful and interesting parts that are worth to mention, such as the Enya segement, the "girandola" segment, which was quite impressive, btw and an intense segment that went pretty good with a sort of rock song, I think.

So originality and creativity were more and less good. But the quality of the pieces were excellent and, many times, they seemed unique and different from what we are used to see.

Clearly, this display had a lot of potential in my view. Halfway through the show, I just felt something very intense in me. I knew we were going to be treated with something very big in the end, especially after witnessing those intense segments. Seeing all of the those loud salutes I said to myself, Italy is about to finish off this display with a BIG BANG! This was probably the moment we, finale fans, were waiting for a long time after witnessing disappointing finales last year.

Instead, the most unbelievable and arugh, very hurtful thing happened! I just can't believe how bad luck ruined all that excitement I had! Why, why, WHY!!! were we cured like this!!!! I was so in rage when it all finished, I just couldn't believe it!

Anyways, turns out the finale was indeed filled with stunning salutes and more and less intense shells I'd say. I'm not sure if they were planning to do an even bigger finale with Madonna's song, but the finale seconds of the show was increditable and OMG, those amazing salutes were just awesome and truly breathtaking, and typically Italian! But maybe they were going to shoot all of those salute during the whole song, or do something similar like USA did in 2003, because it would be tough to do a finale with the "Hang Up song? Or maybe, I'm just over exaggerating. Surely, Paul might let us know if there are left over materials.

Pretty sad for a show that had huge potential and ends up like this, other than that, it was beautiful and enjoyable for the most of its parts.

My ratings so far:

1. Italy
2. Switzerland

Posted: Jun 25, 2006 22:50:21   Edited by: fredbastien

Tonight was a wonderful summer night in Montreal for my 100th show and for a great firework performance... ended with a dramatic finale. For this second entrant, a large crowd (but a little smaller than last week, I suspect) reached La Ronde. Low wind may have been an issue but, fortunately for viewers located at La Ronde, smoke has been pushed toward the back side of the performance area.

On the whole, Pirotecnica Soldi produced their best display in Montreal since a long time! In opposition to Bugano, I believe that Soldi improves their performance from one show to the next. In 1996 and 1999, the display was mainly in low and medium altitude, looking very small in this large firing area. Tonight, all the space available was used, including the lake with many nautical effects: red nautical flares on the opening segment, then comets launched horizontally over the water and many nautical shells later.

The quality of pieces used was very good, with a lot of multi-effect shells and several multi-break shells which filled the sky very quickly. On the ramp 3, several setup pieces did produce wonderful effects. Among them, some fountains were setup in such way that they created special forms that we don't see usually. The sequence of "X" illuminated one after the other was good. In brief, I refer to forthcoming Paul's report for a listing of the effects, which are numerous. Soldi's show wasn't repetitive. I have to underline the quick transitions between each parts; these transitions had been very well designed. Moreover, synchronization was perfect throughout the show.

The penultimate part began well, with an enjoyable music and an appropriate rhythm to build a thrill among the audience, just before the anticipated finale segment. But just before the end of this penultimate part, the sky became dark and no piece were launched. The music change to Madonna's "Hang up" and the sky remained empty. I was very disappointed and nervous at this time! Then, a couple of pieces were launched from the fourth ramp for a very short time and I guess that other pieces should have been launched at the same time. The sky became empty again. Finally, we enjoyed the last seconds of the show, that is, the end of the finale. But what an end!

This technical problem was not a small one. It was very long (2 minutes 25 seconds) and it occured at the most anticipated point of the show. Without this problem, Pirotecnica Soldi's performance would have been a good candidate for a Jupiter prize. In 2003, Hop Kee (Hong Kong) experienced a similar problem during the last part of the show and it won a Bronze Jupiter. At this time, we don't know if the jury has received (or will receive) special direction about it. Nonetheless, that this kind of problem influences negatively the evaluation of a show for sure.

Unfortunately, I am sure that most viewers are talking more about these dramatic 2min25sec than the fantastic 27 minutes of fireworks displayed just before! It is a real shame for the Italian team since their performance was very good.

With all this unused material, we should have a major pyjama firework in September! I hope that forthcoming contestants will do a smaller contribution to this traditional ultimate display of the year!

Fred

Posted: Jun 26, 2006 08:07:16   Edited by: PyroDan

Hello fellow friends,

Paul, I'm very much interested in what caused the disconnection between the firing modules. Was it software or hardware related? Usually, disconnections occur with weak signals, overloads, loose connections, or bad programming (I don't think this is what happened). I was sure that it was related to a damaged wire that occured during those multi-colored ground mines being set off during the middle-end of the display. It was extremely sad watching the finale without any firing what-so-ever, especially Italy . At least we did not miss another finale being, well, completely ruined!

Anyways, the show was very enjoyable since it used many musical pieces I truely love. Also, many new effects were used such as candles bouncing on the water and "twilight zone" sound emitting green stars. The display contained many beautifully shaped saturn shells, mixed star/palm shells, multi-breaks, comets, UFOs, comets, fountains, and salutes . The synchro was much better than swiztelands and the creativity shown was fantastic. The quality was great, though the colors weren't as intense as Swizterlands. Even though there was no buildup for the finale, it was incredible . The quantity of salutes used was enormous, right Pierre?

Fred is very right in noting that China won a Bronze award in 2003 and had very similar problems. Also, a similar thing happened last year with Canada, but it wasn't as obvious as Italy. What I don't understand is how can a firing computer just freeze during the display if all the connections are good? I'm sure Carole will explain the situation to the jury if it is La Ronde's fault (equipment wise).

Quality: 8
Synchro: 8.5
Design: 8
General Aprreciation: 8.5

Dan

Posted: Jun 26, 2006 16:12:48

After watching th show last night, I also believe something went wrong after the ground mines went off, because the show seemed to get really messed up after that. The 2nd to last song was still going and nothing was happening, and that lasted way into the madonna song. Overall it was an ok show for me. I found the first 12 or so minutes to be kinda of dull though.

Posted: Jun 26, 2006 18:59:24   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

Well, I must say that I was quite enamored by the fabulous weather conditions that have presented themselves last night, which was only leading to an equally enjoyable display, though a lack of wind (at times) would have been welcomed, but they were predominantly from an Easterly direction. Of course, like last week, things were getting a tad nefarious just about an hour, or two, before the show was set to begin. However, these clouds were only sort of an introduction for setting the stage of the big rains that are yet to come, which is why today was mostly cloudy. The reason(s) why it didn't get cooler at around 9:30, Enkil, is simply due to the increase in cloud cover (or even partly cloudy), which re-radiated the outgoing longwave radiation emitted from the surface. Also, being at or near the city, the "urban heat island" effect comes into play in increasing temperature at night time hours, so things remained incidentally comfortable. Indeed, the temperature remained at 26 Celsius with some moisture, so I'm sure everyone who attended were really happy, although the crowd wasn't as large as it was for the Swiss team, as Fred mentioned. I suspect that this is because of the Grand Prix and the extended St-Jean Baptiste weekend celebrations. In any case, we were quite fortunate to see the display when we did since some big rains and possible storms could have spoiled everything if the show was set to fire a day later.

The Italian team did an excellent job in starting off their opening with some elegant and attractive red flares that illuminated brightly at ground level. To accompany this, many shells of red at the mid to high levels of the sky split into smaller subsequent ball-stars leading up to a fabulous close of the starting segment, which was almost the same idea of how the Swiss team opened up their show, though more extensive with the standard red color.

Synchronization was very well done and it was very important in how this display was demonstrated to us, though much more distinctive in its entirety. The attempt of rhythm in mixture to pace and flow of the music preferences was totally excellent and made the fireworks look like they were dancing at times, which sort of in strong correlation with the choices of extravagant colors used in appropriate spots. One of the greatest attempts at rhythmic flow was during the segment with the red and blue mines that created a specific establishment with the man and woman in the soundtrack while in combination when both of them were singing, as I mentioned last night, but I don't know what the song title was. (I should give my brother credit for this since he pointed it out to me last night). It was quite spectacular, especially when the mines went rapidly from right to left in between. The serenity in this display was superb and it was clearly shown through the variety of effects used throughout the show while the more exciting parts would typically be deployed very abruptly and surprisingly, which kept many quite focused.

The essence of this display, like Switzerland, was the transitions between paces, but what's different about that of the Italian show was the stunning variations of pace during the entire show, but it was more intrinsically valued with a combination of slow to rapid motion within some soundtrack, which led to some rather quick surprises during the songs, such as the frequent use of salutes. In this sense, the choice of music was excellent since it permitted this sort of exploitation between segments. The "Only Time", by Enya, soundtrack was a classic example of the dramatic pace variation.

The effects used in this display were very nicely used, spaced out and were not at all redundant. As mentioned, these effects were devoted entirely to either the type of soundtrack or just the mere dependent rhythm. The silver girandolas, as I was hoping for, that concluded one of the segments represented tranquility and caught everyone's attention while also backing up the more serene parts of the segment. The way they rose was breathtaking and I simply love the lasting effect that they possess, not to mention the small pivot. Perhaps we can also look forward to other types of girandolas from other entrants, particularly the gold glitter double-ascension types. I enjoyed these silver types to the fullest in this display, though it was brief. It's amazing on how much this attracts the audience by contrast to other effects. In general, a lot of the shells were VERY loud, especially those blue, white and red combination ones.

The UFO sounds, as Dan mentioned a couple times before, were truly welcomed in the creativity sector. I personally loved this entirely since it's a less common effect used. The shells of shells along with the concluding salutes in some areas were, no doubt, the more exciting parts of this display and went very well with the music for which they were used in. Moreover, these shell of shells were in variety, such as with the multi-breakers, while making it ideal with the more massive shells that were present, which made these particular segments seem more like faux finales. The orange photoflashes in one of the segments also went well with the more rapid paced music and simultaneously making the atmosphere intense. I also personally loved the departure attempt when Michael Buble's "Save the last dance for me" came up, not to mention the rate of fire for the rest of the song. Just after the beginning of the show, there were quite a bit of shells of swirls along with individual swirls coming from the bottom as well as with different movements. These were used extensively.

The construction of the display was excellent since there was different idea approaches. For example, there were many segments that concluded with extremely loud salutes, which I'm sure Pierre and everyone enjoyed! Once again, these salutes also relate to the pace and more active parts of the show (obviously). The balance between differing heights in the sky to ground level was in equilibrium since low level cracklers, mines and fountains were sporadically used while matching the more active high altitude shells, so things worked out well here. I was most fascinated with those lasting fan-like shells mid way in the show. The three main colors were green, red and then yellow that lasted for quite some time before they trailed towards the river. The part with the massive/loud shells of glitters were beautiful, especially when the pace increased leading to a huge brilliant umbrella-like structure as it moved downwards; it had quite a lasting impression as well. Those double- heart shells were also used, though I would have preferred to see more of them. There were also some shells of with two colors in one, which was blue and yellow. I was more taken up with the symmetry of the effect, though.

The bottom effects are also to be commented on. The red flares at the beginning were used with much zeal at the opening giving way to more active parts in the sky. Near the ending parts, the massive red shells directly at ground level were simply AMAZING since they made a loud, though different, sound. These were excellent for correspondence with the upper action of multi-colors accompanied with equal massive red shells along with some white colors within the reds. Finally, I noticed some very quick red horizontal movement of rockets at the bottom near after the middle of the show. I thought that these were quite stunning from a distance while accompanied by some middle level cracklers and comets.

The colors were also in perfect harmony with the music while they usually ranged in an adequate variety. The red colors were nicely introduced at the beginning of the display while they also made a dominant entrance in the latter parts. The combination of colors were also used fondly, especially the blues and reds. Another factor of consideration was the focus on the lower effects building up with the intensity of the higher points within segments. Some dramatic colors were also nicely shown, such as the green mixed in with the reds and blues.

The finale was incredible along with plenty of noise and plenty of loud/bright salutes. In fact, there were times when I thought it wouldn't stop in hopes that everything that was supposed to be fired would successfully be executed. Anyhow, as Fred said, there's sure to be a lot of material for the Pajama display. I just wish we could have seen the Italian finale to its full potential considering that this could have been one of the best endings this year. In any case, the ending still seemed intense with the massive shells and lower salutes along with loud crackling mines, but it would have felt more intense if the music went with it as expected. I can only imagine what the Italian team was thinking when that little computer crisis occured. And, of all times, it had to happen dead smack in the end.

Besides the technical difficulties towards the end, my criticisms are small. First, I thought that the colors were not in much variety and transition as they were in the Swiss display. Like the Swiss display, I found the reds at the beginning a tad repetitive, though the effects were more expressed. I also felt that there was a feeling of anti-climax with the slower start since the impeccable countdown is, as always, a part that moves you into a more anticipated noisy opening. Of course, the ending was "crippled" because of the computer related problems. I believe the problem persisted into the latter part of the second to last segment where the music kept going and nothing was happening for a while. I would have to agree with Enkil on this since I similarly feel that this ending has much potential while judging from the intensity of most of the display (the shell of shells in particular). Finally, I am not so sure of the relation of some of the music with the theme of the show, but, like the Swiss display, some of the music matched better than the others, but I seriously loved the music, perhaps even more than last week's choice. There was also one small moment when some of the mid altitude glitters were somewhat obscured by a bit of smoke accumulation upon exploding in one of the segments, but this was not notoriously prolonged. Finally, I think there was a little less in the way of originality here, but the differentiations in pace were more distinctive than that of the Swiss display, so things were more enjoyable in this area.

Travis' personal rankings and display criteria rankings:

-Synchronization: 8.5/10-This would have been near perfect if it weren't for the ending problems. Otherwise, synchroniztion was excellent all the way through.
-Color: 7.7/10-Though not quite as distinctive as the Swiss display, the colors were nicely expressed in variations and quite glamorous, nonetheless!
-Creativity/Originality/Concept: 8/10-I thought that this wasn't a totally original display, but the creativity was amazing, especially with the pace variations and the rhythmic flows. The concept was in utter elegance in many areas, but the thematic link was somewhat missing with some of the choices of music. The variety of effects did alleviate possible redundancy.
-Choice of music: 8.5/10-The music was excellent and I enjoyed it to the fullest, but some of it didn't quite fit the theme appropriately, well, personally. The music, in general, worked well with the pace fluctuations in this particular display, so it was quite successful, especially with the effects that made a perplexing yet brilliant impression.
-Finale/Overall Appreciation: 8.5/10-The lasting appeal was excellent but the sense of anti-climax sort of took away the concluding excitement, especially since "Hung Up" was an ideal song for a scary ending. The overall performance, however, was fabulous.
-Overall: 8.2/10

My predictions for the winners (so far):

1-Italy
2-Switzerland

My reasons for Italy being placed in first is simply because there were many strong points during the display that held more slight advantages over Switzerland. I'm also partially guessing that perhaps the jury may be leniant with the errors via the end, considering that the rest of the display was truly excellent, but I think even errors are taken into account, unfortunately.

Regardless of the problems in the final part of the show, this was a very enjoyable and traditional display and we all seemed to enjoy it to its fullest. The quality of the materials used was simply fantastic while much of it was well exploited before us. There was so much action in this display that everyone was delighted to a maximum, especially with the series of mini-endings in the second half of the show. The colors used were excellent and fitted the approach taken here. The effects reinforced the impeccable balance of creativity, especially in the red and blue mines segment, for example. Many of the effects themselves were very much admirable ranging from the girandolas to the creative use of the shell of shells. Overall, this was an incredible and well prepared display, but it's shame that the ending was ruined. Everything else in this display was very nicely done and I'm sure a lot of people who witnessed such a fantastic display would say the same since most of the show was, in some respect, ostentatious and had good crescendos.

In the long run, I wouldn't rule out the chance of this display not being on the podium since I do recall many incidences like this in the past and yet those displays sometimes won something. But the only problem here was the a more problematic climax, which tends to give the final part of the general appreciation sector and the final appeal. As Fred said, it is quite likely that people are paying more attention to the last 3-4 minutes than the rest of the show considering the what happened in the conclusion.

Well, Fred, it's only logical for something to happen in the ending on your 100th display from La Ronde! Bad weather was the story for Paul back in 2003 for his 100th. I just thought it was ironic, that's all. In any case, I had an enjoyable evening.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 26, 2006 19:10:47

When the 2006 schedule came out some months ago, Italy's participation caught my attention immediately as being my best hope to see an intense finale during this year's competition! This being said, I can tell you that, as I was walking across the bridge prior to the show last evening, I was very excited and expected to see salutes.....LOTS of salutes! Guess what? I did experience the sights and sounds of loads of thunderous salutes (yes Dan, there was a lot of them ), thank God!

During the display, witnessing the intensity in some segments and the salutes being used here and there, I couldn't help but thinking that this was going to be the evening when I finally get what I truly want.......a HUGE finale, one that is NOISY, one that SHAKES the bridge, MOVES the ground and lights up the whole city of Montreal as well as the South Shore....with the help of my large and beloved SALUTES. So in that regard, I agree with Enkil because I did think that Italy was going to end this show with a "Big Bang" too!

So about the display, I can only say that I really enjoyed it, specially those red rockets that were shot horizontally over the lake, bouncing on the water......the salutes that were present several times during the display inducing the movement of butterflies in the pit of my stomach ......and just before the start of "Hung up" by Madonna, there were those green rockets who made such funny sounds.....you just have to love that! Right after that, to me, the first sign that there was a problem....everything went dark for a few seconds.....then, Madonna's song started. I was REALLY excited! A few gentle rockets were fired, so I expected a gradual but steady increase in intensity.....but then, total darkness again! After what seemed like an eternity, I turned my digital camera off to keep as much battery power as possible for the finale. I was starting to believe that there would not be a finale, when suddenly, a barrage of salutes was fired.....so I stepped back quickly, turned on my camera and started to record! WOW, what an intense but sadly "amputated" finale! Of course it was short, but so much like the finale I have always dreamed about Thanks so much to Pirotecnica Soldi, for bringing to us such an intense finale, the kind that most of the crowd craves for, when they attend a firework display. I feel so sorry for the Italian team who must have felt devastated by that problem which occured at the worse moment in a firework display! I did succeed in recording the finale (except for the first few seconds when my camera was turned off) and I must apologize because I missed part of the higher level rockets, as I was focusing on the lower part, where the salutes were exploding ;-) ........I just couldn't help it! I realised that only when I got home and watched the finale on my computer!

Travis, I can't wait to read your full review!

And Enkil.......great idea about your ranking....I had forgotten about that! Here's mine and I must say that it was not difficult to choose the number one so far:

1. Italy
2. Switzerland

Pierre

Posted: Jun 26, 2006 19:12:00

LOL.....while I was writing my message, Travis posted his!

Thanks Travis.

Pierre

Posted: Jun 26, 2006 20:30:54   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your comments. I shall get back to you fully tomorrow; I promise. And I have edited my review by adding some things here and there and fixing up the usual spelling/syntax errors for all of you. Indeed, it appears we posted at almost the same time!

Thanks again, Pierre! I'm glad you also enjoyed such a magnificent display. It's just the frustration in the ending.

I'm looking forward to reading Paul's review as well.

Trav.

Posted: Jun 27, 2006 12:13:55

Bonjour

Ce n'est pas la première fois que la firme Soldi rencontre des problèmes techniques pendant leurs présentations à la Ronde.
Est-ce là tout simplement une concidence vraiment malchanceuse ou bien une négligence dans la préparation et l'installation des pièces et du réseau.
Cette affaire me rappelle 1999. Cette année là Soldi avait eu des problèmes ainsi que la firme Lacroix Ruggieri qui jesqu'à la 23 ième minute de leur spectacle filait tout droit vers un Jupiter. Puis plus rien ....que des pièces de réserve.J'étais membre du jury cette année-là.
Il est évident que tous les firmes doivent dès le départ accepter que les problèmes techniques font partie des risques d'un présentation pyro-tehnique et que la tâche première d'un jury c'est d'apprécier ce qu'il voit et non ce que cà aurait pu être si les difficultés n'étaient pas survenus.
En 2003 la Chine avait gagné le bronze en raison d'un spectacle de très haut niveau mais sans finale. J'estime que ce sont les USA qui auraient du être sur le podium cette année-là.
Donc la firme italienne malgré une excellente performance ne recevra pas de Jupiter cette année.
La qualité des pièces était vraiment bonne avec de brillantes couleurs ..savamment mélangées et disposées dans le ciel.
Le concept était pas très original.....L'Italie et le monde " ce qui leur permettait un choix pas trop difficile au plan musical.

J'ai hâte au prochain...

Roger

Posted: Jun 27, 2006 13:38:40

bonjour moi j'ai assisté a un feux quand même assez impressionnant de par le pont jacque cartier a l'opposé des rampes
hey bien sa pas été long a ce que je connaisse 3 personne qui ont voulus en savoir plus sur la pyro hey bien le feux èa été trèes apprécié par les gens qui était sur le pont accause du grand nombre de marron d'air qui me vibrait mes fesse et tout le pont
bon vers la fin une boite de raccordement as du être mal branché ce qui as causé une absence de tir de plusieurs pièces pyrotechnique mais bon il ont pas toute annulé et il ont tiré tout leurs feux a la finale,heureusement,bon moi j'ai pas écouté la musique du feux mais bon j'ai apprécié les effet butterflie bleu avec comèete dorée avec final déto ce qui m'as bouchebée ! malgré l'erreur survenue durand le feux, je donne une note générale de 9/10

jerome

Posted: Jun 27, 2006 20:32:35

Hi Pierre,

Well, you're certainly right about the display as a whole. The ending, in particular, was amazing in which it was exploited to us. The amounts of salutes that were used in the display were excellent while they did stir up a lot of excitement. The shell of shells in combination with the salutes were also quite dramatic.

I know the feeling you immediately got when we were left in total darkness from the end of the second to last segment onwards, especially into the Madonna soundtrack. However, at least we were still treated with quite a bit of astonishing and ostentatious salutes to back up the gap that was missing in this potentially incredible ending. Even till this very moment, I still wish that the erroneous part could have taken place elsewhere. The finale itself didn't turn out as well either because of the missing music coordination, so this made things a tad less enjoyable, unfortunately.

All I can say is that this could have very well been the best ending in the past 2 years. It's also ironic since France also presented their show on June 25th of last year along with a devastating ending, so I was hoping for the same a year later, but I don't blame the Italian team at all, but rather the computers themselves. It just goes to show that even computers have their ultimate downfalls.

Well, Pierre, I'm glad you conserved your battery power on your camera so you could capture the partial ending. And yes, I agree with your rankings so far.

Here's hoping to see some scary finales in the future!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 28, 2006 09:57:30

Je partage les interrogations de Roger concernant les problèmes récurrents rencontrés par Soldi à Montréal. En allant à La Ronde dimanche soir, j'espère en savoir un peu plus sur ce qui s'est passé la semaine dernière.

Concernant le feu chinois de 2003, je pense qu'il a pu atteindre la troisième marche du podium parce qu'au moins cinq firmes pouvaient sérieusement prétendre à un Jupiter. Je ne serais pas étonné que Hop Kee ait alors été "favorisé" par une division du jury et ainsi obtenu le Jupiter de bronze.

Fred

Posted: Jun 28, 2006 12:28:16

I know exactly what happened on Sunday but I don't want to go into the details. The only important thing to note is that there were no technical failures with any of La Ronde's equipment or installation. Perhaps I'll go into more detail when I write my report (which is delayed because I've been away all week).

Paul.

Posted: Jun 29, 2006 06:19:24

Fred

Pour 2003 rappelons-nous que la compétition entre les différentes firmes avait été très serrée ce qui bien sur a du se refléter sur les pointages des juges qui cette année là n'était pas très nombreux.

Or le fait d'avoir moins de juges peut mettre beaucoup de pression sur les pointages de chacun.Un seul peut faire basculer le classement.

Ce problème a été corrigé depuis lors mais j'estime que ce serait encore mieux de revenir à 25 juges.

Pour Soldi Paul j'ai hâte de lire les explications mais quoiqu'il en soit le jury , je le répète devra juger ce qu"il a vu et entendu .

Roger

Posted: May 29, 2007 16:39:06

HI,Im new on here and this message is not about what is written above . . . . . I was wondering did something bad happen at la rond or something??? cause I was reading what was written above and I didn't understand lol . . .
anyways im going to la rond for the first time ever on june 15th and I can't wait . . the only thing is I don't know what to expect . . I was also wondering how was the weather in montreal when you guys went there???? and any suggestion's on which ride I should go on first??? I kinda wanna go on the goliath but im really scared . . . and my main question about the goliath is kinda odd but I was wondering . . you know that big drop on the goliath well . . as your going down it can you still breath or do you stop for a couple minutes??????

P.S/ Can someone please answer me back im desperate for some answers!!!!
Thanks . . . Nessa

Posted: May 29, 2007 16:59:18

HI,Im new on here and this message is not about what is written above . . . . . I was wondering did something bad happen at la rond or something??? cause I was reading what was written above and I didn't understand lol . . .
anyways im going to la rond for the first time ever on june 15th and I can't wait . . the only thing is I don't know what to expect . . I was also wondering how was the weather in montreal when you guys went there???? and any suggestion's on which ride I should go on first??? I kinda wanna go on the goliath but im really scared . . . and my main question about the goliath is kinda odd but I was wondering . . you know that big drop on the goliath well . . as your going down it can you still breath or do you stop for a couple minutes??????

P.S/ Can someone please answer me back im desperate for some answers!!!!
Thanks . . . Nessa

Posted: May 29, 2007 17:59:55   Edited by: Smoke

Hi nessa,

La Ronde has completely transformed since I last attended back in the Summer of 2002. However, for all the times I went, the weather usually cooperated, but that's obviously something you'll have to check to begin with before you even consider planning your day there.

As for the rides, of course, you'll be intimidated by most of them at first, but that's the thrill of going there in the first place. I do recommend, however, that you ride whatever you feel most comfortable with and what you believe you can handle. I can't really say anything about the Goliath as I've never tried it, though I'm sure the experience is well worth it, given its current title in the nation.

With luck, perhaps you'll be able to witness some fireworks displays shortly after that since the date of the first entrant is indeed presenting on the 20th of June. If the weather happens to be foul on the 15th (I can always update you with the specifics on this), then you might want to consider trying to go to La Ronde on a fireworks day to get yourself a double treat.

And I don't have any recollection of anything bad that happened at La Ronde recently.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 29, 2007 19:07:18

Heyy , Trav . .
I really do appreciate your response . . . and hopefuly i'll get to see the fireworks !!!

Thanks bye bye

Posted: May 30, 2007 19:17:35

Hi nessa,

I'm glad I was of help. Remember, if you want a detailed forecast for the 15th of June, I will gladly be willing to be of further assistance once I have the information and data presented before me.

And yes, let's hope you get to see the displays for this new Summer season as well as equally receiving fabulous weather to support them.

Hope to hear from you again in the near future.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023