Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2006 Display Reviews —› Fireworks for Africa (South Africa) reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 8, 2006 15:44:06

Well guys, it looks like, as I've said, we will be getting a perfect Summer night for this new entrant! I think we will be in for some surprises, but I will be paying close attention to the approach stated in the press release. The weather is a completely different story than last week!

Enjoy the fireworks and the weather. And happy birthday to Pierre! Let's hope we see a scary finale!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 8, 2006 21:41:06   Edited by: Smoke

Hey guys,

I just got back from an incredible, ostentatious and excellent display from this newcomer. This display was nearly flawless with plenty of action and incredible synchronization only leading to impeccable sequencing between different paces in this show, although there was only one time where the music kept going but nothing was happening at the end of the first soundtrack for almost 20 seconds. However, I too, found the music very entertaining and rather enjoyable while it connected to the main idea and concept of the show.

The rate of fire between segments was excellent while most of the variations was tremendously distinct, especially with the way the segments would start and the way they would finish with copious amounts of rapid firing shell mixtures thus making it seem like a series of faux finales throughout the entire show. I was also impressed with the silver double ascension girandolas with much zeal!

The colors were fantastic and, personally, had the best richness so far in this year's competition. The dramatic purples and yellows to mauves were very unique and easily contrasted with either the lower or higher effects. I loved the way many of the effects were taken into account, too, especially the double rings multi-colored shells as well as the go-getters and shells of swirls. Symmetry was never lost at either the ground or at high levels. Many of the high and low levels were also totally connected and were truly right on cue, especially in the Lion King soundtrack "This Land".

And man, what a finale! I was so sure they would would do those rapid shots! I'm sure you loved that one, Pierre! And you also got quite a bit of salutes at the very end, too, my friend. Happy birthday!

In any case, I'll have more details later on while I do have quite a bit to write about, especially the colors and the relation to the main theme. This was truly an artistic and original display while a well concocted approach. There is much to cover in this display, especially considering that many of the effects were unique in which they were executed while it is very important to analyze the distinctions of colors in harmony between the speeds of music while in relation to the thematic consideration taken here. A truly fabulous job from this team. I'm more than certain that they will be remembered my Montrealers by the impression that they made tonight!

It's shame that the display was delayed for 30 mins due to electricity problems. As a side note, I have never seen so many problems happening consecutively. Italy had problems in the finale, Argentina had wind velocity problems and South Africa had power problems. What a strange and mysterious start.

Anyhow, the delay tonight was still worth it! The weather was, as I promised, quite fabulous and warm while having the right types of winds to clear out the smoke.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 9, 2006 00:06:53   Edited by: fredbastien

It was an incredible night at La Ronde! On the pyrotechnic side, the South African entrant has produced an excellent display, the best show this year in my opinion. But the paramount issue of the night is the electrical failure. I feel that a nightmare has been avoided at the amusement park tonight!

All this story began around 8:30pm. I was at Le Monstre. When we were back to the station, the lights did shut down. Walking outside the station, I saw that another ride was closed too. Then, I realized that ALL RIDES had been shut down! Then, I realized also that there was no music in the park, that several lamps were without power. Quickly, I understood that La Ronde was in a kind of "emergency state": an amusement park without power with a crowd that I estimate between 15 000 and 20 000 people! With friends, I walked throughout the park. Operation and security teams were running from one ride to the next. A train was stopped in the hill of Le Boomerang. Some food and souvenirs kiosks were closing. Despite the crowd, it was really noiseless. I think that many people were fascinated by this surrealistic atmosphere. It was also a little dramatic, since the behavior of a crowd in an unusual situation like that is highly unpredictable.

Just before 9:30pm, we walked to Place du Canada for the official ceremony. Most of lamps were without power along the main midway, which was very dark. Michel Lacroix introduced us to the show and the South African crew, without any reference to the power failure. Then, at 10:00pm, he announced that the show was delayed to 10:15pm. Later, it was postponed again, up to 10:28pm.

Two areas of the park, on both sides of the firing ramps, must be cleared before every firework may begin. Usually, the area around the Vampire and l'Orbite, and the other zone near the Grande Roue, are evacuated between 8:30pm and 9:00pm by La Ronde's security service. On the basis of what Michel Lacroix said, that is, that some areas of the park must be cleared before the show starts, I deduct that the security service was too busy early in the night to evacuate them. I am sure that this is why the display began later then usual, not because a technical problem directly related to fireworks. However, I have to admit that at one point, I was afraid that this power failure may conduct to a cancellation of the display. But I remembered that when I had been on the jury, we had learnt during our training day that all equipment needed to launch firework despite an electrical failure is in place. Once again, it looked that nothing may prevent La Ronde's firework team to present a display! So we enjoyed the show!

This South African display was an anticipated one in 2006. The setup was impressive, with a lot of mortars along the main ramps (1 and 2) and several water-oriented pieces on the third ramp. I think that Fireworks for Africa have made the most extensive use of the lake since a long time, launching nautical fountains and shells of stars several time throughout the show. The first segment began with red nautical flares on the lake, then other red flares on background, along ramps 2 and 3, creating an obvious third dimension. In the following segments, a wide range of pieces were used. I especially enjoyed the cones of rockets, a piece used especially by Lacroix-Ruggieri (France), which is not often displayed.

The penultimate part, on Star Trek music, was a real success. First, flares came to live along the third ramp (and on the lake, if I remember well), creating a kind of takeoff runway. Then, several girandolas did flight from the second ramp. Finally, many barrages of multicoloured nautical shells were launched on the lake. The last segment was really enjoyable. Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana had been used several times in the history of the contest. However, the designer has chosen a techno version revisited by Spiritual Project. What a finale! I was clapping the ground with my feets! I am sure that Paul has written some WOW! inside his notebook!

For a short time, no piece was launched during the first or the second segment. The finale has been followed by a long barrage of salutes which were not synchronized with any music. Nonetheless, the synchronization was good throughout the show. Some people may criticized that some music pieces were not really african, but this is a minor criticism. I think that the South African entrant has done an excellent performance and it should be a serious candidate for a Jupiter prize this year.

Following the show, I went to the Salon des Artificiers for PyroPlanet.com (an interview with Nick Mitri should be online by Monday or Tuesday). We were enlightened mainly by candles, because the electrical failure wasn't ended yet. To my knowledge, no serious incident happened tonight at La Ronde. We were very lucky to enjoy the firework show in this crisis context. It would have been a shame to miss a show as good as Fireworks for Africa's one!

Fred

Posted: Jul 9, 2006 09:57:55   Edited by: Enkil

I found yesturday's show a bit complex to analyse, but it was definietly quite impressive.

I loved it when they were launching the huge candles that were taking the whole place. It gives you the impression that the show is robust and tight! I also suspected that they might have used some Spanish candles because they resembled a lot to last year's Spanish candles.

I know the theme is about Africa, but there were a couple of segments that made me felt that I was in a planetarium. I'm not sure if anyone else felt this way, but the fireworks sort of reminded me of that. Maybe they were trying to represent the sun. I'm not exactly sure. However, this isn't a criticism, because I felt that many of their segments had a unique and different approach.

There were many very interesting segments to be noted, but I don't remember all of them...

In the beginning of the show, for a brief moment they shooted yellow shells, which looked very bright and that's something you don't always see. There was also the girandola segment which was very well done! I think it synchronized with the music in a very emotional way. We also saw a segment that appeared to be a finale. It started off with weeping willow shells and then it expanded with huge shells. Once again, the synchronization and the emotional feeling was a success during that segment.

I have a feeling that "Fireworks for Africa" hit high with the emotional segments, especially with certain African songs. The synchronization throughout the show was nearly perfect. The songs certainly had an African vibe, which I enjoyed a lot.

As for my minor criticisms, overall, I only noticed one boring segment. Perhaps there was also redundancy with the same effects being used in other segments. On the excitement level, I think it had ups and downs, but this isn't really a criticism because the South African team overall presented us an unique and an impressive show.

They probably had the best finale so far. Though, it wasn't as fearsome as last year's France's finale, but it put a wonderful end to a great show. After the salutes, it kinda left me a bit shaking, and the crowd's respond was very positive.

I'm not exactly sure if Italy or South Africa will be on the podium this year because the truth is the real competition has just begun. With the 4 remaining superpowers, there's a possiblity that this will end up being a fierce competition.

My ratings so far (tough decision between Italy and South Africa):

1. South Africa
2. Italy
3. Switzerland
4. Argentina

Posted: Jul 9, 2006 19:53:41   Edited by: PyroDan

Hello Friends,

First things first. Viva Italia ! Sorry about that, continuing with the display.

The African display was truely very special. I've never seen so many large caliber shells used throughtout the enitre display. I'm surprised they didn't run out of space. The pace was fantastic since the serene moments were perfectly connected to the fast tempo segments. The synchro was very well balanced. it wasn't as complex as Italy's but it suited the music very nicely.

The quality of the pieces used was, in general, very good. The only negative note was with the UFOs. For some reason, some pieces were heading towards the side instead of up and down. However, the colors were very well definded (nice yellows, reds, blues, orange was a bit washed out). The variety of the pieces was extremely well done. From UFOs to nautics to star shells, each one had it's own personality.

The music used was very diversed and well chosen. The music was very well matched to the theme, unlike Swizterland. The design was extremly well planned out since the site was used to the fullest (from the lake to the skies). It was nice to see distinct levels take place (such as the candles with the star shells in the air).

The finale was seriously a thing of beauty. The intensity just kept on growing. The salutes used at the end were tremendous, right Pierre. All in all, I seriously hope that they win a Jupiter this year, considering it was they're very first display in Montreal.

Quality: 9
Synchro: 8.5
Design: 9.5
Appreciation: 9.5

Total: 36.5

So Far:

1 - Africa
2 - Italy (We won the Cup )
3 - Swizterland
4 - Argentina

Posted: Jul 10, 2006 13:21:21

Bonjour le monde

Je partage le point de vue de Frédérick sur l'excellente prestation de la firme représentant l'Afrique du Sud.
Il y a eu de très beaux segments entre autre celui de Star War et une finale formidable sur O fortuna.
Ce pays a utilisé une assez grande variété de très belles pièces savamment harmonisées avec un bon choix musical, les couleurs bien agencées riches lors du déploiement et une très bonne utilisation des possibilités du site ce qui est remarquable pour une firme qui performe la première fois sur les rampes de la Ronde.Les bombes nautiques étaient fabuleuses et nombreuses.
La syncro était très au point la plupart du temps sauf à certains moments où les bombes continuaient de sauter alors que la musique était terminées.
Un bon concept. Est-ce que j'ai pu sentir l'Afrique ...en dans tous les segments. La mise en scène était excellente, un rytme et l'intensité bien dosée .Au niveau des transitions entre les divers segments c'était la plupart du temps bien fait mais à certains moments cà me paraissait laborieux ce qui agace et affecte le rytme.Bref un feu dynamique , colorées, artistique et à la fois chaleureux et intense par moments.
Il y a eu certe l'absence de pièces pendant 20 seconcdes dans la première partie du feu. Le jury devra en tenir compte.
Bref un grand spectacle et une présence très très possible sur le podium.

A la prochaine

Roger

Posted: Jul 10, 2006 17:24:32

The interview with Nick Mitri, designer of Fireworks for Africa's show, is now online on PyroPlanet. He talks about his show, La Ronde's firing site and the firework market in Africa:

http://www.pyroplanet.com/Article304.html

Fred

Posted: Jul 11, 2006 23:19:15

I'll have my report up tomorrow, just in case any of you are wondering. I had quite a busy week on the road (and with storms)since the display.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 12, 2006 10:17:56

hi i am just curious mister fred did you take a video of africa for pyroplanet?

Posted: Jul 13, 2006 19:29:29   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

The night of presentation was in total success for this debutant country in the Montreal fireworks competition. Ironically enough, we were treated to a perfect Summer’s evening with breezy (not gusty) conditions allowing to clear out smoke accumulations, which may have been a problem since there was a fair amount of moisture that evening. It was still roughly 26 Celsius in the area at the time, but it still felt warmer because of the humidity. Unfortunately, despite the weather, there were electricity problems for the display while the same held true for the park itself. As a result, the display ended up being delayed another 12-13 minutes longer than the display of Argentina. In any case, the show started at about 10:29-10:30 with a lot of emotion and zeal.

Much of the African display was incredible, but I found that the dramatic range of speeds between segments were what totally defined this display entirely while it allowed for an adequate rate of firing between music paces. They opened off the show very elegantly and brightly with some brilliant nautical red flares accompanied by some beautiful red crossettes as some overhead red shells that would sometimes burst into red ball stars, which was a similar idea to that of the Italian start. Just immediately after this piece were some bright flashing lightning-like nautical effects that illuminated the ground greatly. This then was followed by a rapid finish of shells making it feel like a small finale. A very nice way to start off, especially after such a long delay!

Synchronization was very nicely done and perhaps near perfect. The music was very nicely tied to the way the fireworks were on cue, so it made things much more enjoyable compared to other approaches we’ve seen. The paces were excellent, especially with the music variation intensities throughout the show. Because of this, the display was totally unique and creative between the rate of fireworks executions, which was the key factor of this display, but was also demonstrated to a stronger extent with the richness of colors and various effects, such as the glitters. The synchronization also fitted in with the way the entire display was concocted with the slower starts in typical segments to a massive finish with multi-colored shells in the high levels. For example, in the Lion King soundtrack segment, the candles and fountains at ground level were very ubiquitous and nicely timed to the motion and rhythm within the segment. To be honest, I felt that this segment was possibly the most dramatic and emotional to reinforce the theme.

The colors are quite the concept to comment on. There were so much color variations in this display that it made a lot of the ideas and music rather enjoyable. The brilliant mid to high level yellow shells of stars made quite an appearance to the audience while also fitting the tempo of the segment. Some of these yellow stars were also accompanied my some neat glitters at mid levels. I was quite enamored by the mauves and light purples being fired above the mines and candles at times. This was sometimes accompanied by an intense and dignified dark blue at higher levels while sometimes mixing with shades of green stars and lower crossettes. The red flares at ground level at the beginning also made for a picturesque look while delicately being accompanied by loud shells. A lot of the effects were similar, but the differentiations in color use implemented helped to eliminate repetition of their appearances. I personally also love the deep oranges with the blue stars in the middle from the exploding shells way above our heads. The darker shades of red were totally admired, especially since they were in fantastic mixture with either other color contrasts or because of the integration of accompanied mines, for example. Finally, when most of the segments came to an astonishing and intense finish, the rapid firings of shells were often intrinsically fired due to the multi-colored mixtures, such as with yellow, blue, red and especially green. Again, some of these would burst into ball-stars, which was sort similar to a piece in the Argentinean show, but this was much more dramatic, especially because of the intensity and the widespread colors were so subtle.

The effects used in this show were simply superb and, once again, connected nicely to both the theme and the music. I’ve noticed many distinctive effects used, especially the silver double-ascension girandolas that concluded one of the middle segments. However, these were also fired in a different manner especially since a lot of the ones on the sides were exploited at different angles in which they were swayed, which was quite unique. This also helped to support the more serene conclusion to that particular segment. I was also quite fascinated with the double concentric ring shells, especially with the variety of colors used to support them. There were a lot of shells of swirls and double ringed shells of swirls with green stars in the middle. Some of the swirls were also exciting since, in one segment, they would explode loudly all over the place. Near the penultimate part, there was a sighting of a couple of multi-breakers, which had a white/silver color directly overhead. There were quite a bit of white weeping willows that would droop downward while lasting astonishingly. There was a later appearance of the coconut tree effect that would later on burnt into white stars as they trailed to the river. The kamuros at mid levels were dazzling with glittering after parts. I must comment of the mid level cracklers from the rapid paced fan-like shots that would start at the middle and then would be followed with others at the right to left. This effect was used nicely with the choices of music throughout the show. These were also nicely timed on cue with the songs when they were seen! I’ve also noticed many go-getters at low and mid levels of the sky while accompanied by some screaming serpents making an eagle/missile noise. The nautical effects were astounding, especially with rich red flares followed by the flashing effects. The latter silver fountains in the latter part along the ground were also very nicely used, especially the “This Land” soundtrack. Finally, as always, a lot of the various glitters were nicely shown.

The way this display was constructed was brilliant, especially with those middle, left and right rapid shots at the bottom. The upper leveled shells were mostly quite balanced with the lower level action of either mines or candles (or both). The symmetry between the left and right sides of the lower and above levels of sky was typically balanced in a lot of respects, particularly with the colors present from time to time. I was in utter admiration with the glitters at middle levels as well as the associated candles that appeared from the left to the right while centered with glamorous mines at times.

The finale was incredible and in perfect crescendo, but would have been even more breathtaking if it had lasted just a little longer before the salutes were ready to fire. I was pretty confident that they would use same firing sequence as they did to conclude other previous segments, especially like in the song “This Land”. The colors were extravagant while the pace increased and more additional colors came into contrast, especially with the reds, yellows and greens. The salutes at the end were, as always, most welcomed and chest thumping, though not perfectly on cue with the music, but was still very enjoyable, especially with the way it added on to the previous part of the final segment, as well as the penultimate area.

My criticisms are minor for the most part, but the main problem was the area at or after the beginning segment where music kept on going for about 20 seconds near the conclusion, but no fireworks were there to support it. The ending salutes, as I said, were slightly off with the music, but soundtrack selection was well suited. Another little criticism to notice was just a slight bit of redundancy with the firing sequences throughout the display; usually with the slower start and then a stunning finish. However, this did not deter me from what was trying to be presented considering this approach worked well with the theme. Finally, like I said for Argentina, I bit more use of the girandolas during another segment or two would have also reinforced the main theme, but moreso with variations.

Travis' personal rankings and display criteria rankings:

-Synchronization: 9/10-This was the best synchronized display thus far. I personally loved the way it interacted with much of the lower effects, too, especially the opening segment with the red nautical flares. During the show, the shells at the top were often in nearly perfect beat with the corresponding lower cracklers and mines.
-Color: 9/10-Very dramatic colors and quite a variety, too. They have also helped to reduce redundancy minimally with different effects because they were often deployed in varying color, such as the double ring shells, or scattered ball-stars that burst into different colors.
-Creativity/Originality/Concept: 8.5/10-A truly very well concocted artistic display and was totally original in my mind, especially with the firing scheme at times in relevance to the effects used.
-Choice of music: 8/10-While the music was relevant to the thematic approach, some felt slightly off in relation to others that were selected, especially when we consider a cultural aspect, such as the soundtrack from Star Trek. However, I personally loved the choices of music and it fitted well with the synchronization while allowing for neat and distinctive attempts at choreography.
-Finale/General Appreciation: 9/10-A glamorous and powerful finale that truly made us attentive, especially with the way it was exploited to the audience. I hope you got this one, Pierre! I’m also sure that you loved those extensive salutes at the end! The general appreciation was fantastic and had excellent appeal throughout the entire show with much memorable scenes.
-Overall: 8.7/10

My personal predictions for the winners so far:

1-South Africa
2-Italy
3-Argentina
4-Switzerland

I’m still contemplating between Switzerland and Argentina for 3rd, though. However, I’m optimistic that South Africa will have a place on the podium this season.

The display from the Africans was a total success and was elaborately executed. My key response to this show was definitely the choice of colors and effects while the music went well I connection. The emotional attempts, which was similar to the Argentinean team’s, was very well done and breathtaking at times. In fact, I found this approach more distinctive and profound than that of the Argentinean show when it came to “emotions”, especially because of the richness of colors and effects that were always present to back up the type of movement, if you will, used throughout the show. The firing scheme was also appropriate for this sort of attempt and certainly caught the crowd on guard for much of the display. A truly remarkable performance from this debutant and will sure keep a positive impression in the minds of Montrealers.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 15, 2006 17:45:52

Finally my report on this excellent debutant display is up. Sorry for the slow work on this!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 16, 2006 03:36:05

I was really really impressed by this display, and certainly put it higher than any of the other ones I have seen this year (I missed the first two). The finale was spectacular!

I took lots of photos, many of which are online here:

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/fireworks2.htm

Hope you all enjoy! I have photos from Argentina, Portugal and Canada, links to which I will post in those respective threads.

Posted: Jul 16, 2006 22:00:21   Edited by: Salutes lover

Travis,

First of all, thank you so much for your nice Birthday wishes! My Birthday was filled with so many nice things, so I should be grateful! It started in the morning of the 8th (Saturday) when I was treated to a breakfast at Cora's at Galeries des Sources....where I picked the breakfast called "7th of July" for obvious reasons. The server jokingly told me I was a day late to order that breakfast, to which I replied that it was the closest name for a meal that I could get to my Birthday! LOL For dinner, a bunch of us went to Hélène De Champlain restaurant where we stayed for 3 hours and a half.......and at 21:30, we slowly walked towards the bridge, where I would be getting an eyeful of that wonderful South African display, which I will try to convince myself, was made in my honor! (*wishful thinking*) ;-) Well, it was really the icing on the cake. I did not mind waiting for the display to start, although it was half an hour late....I was with great company! Not only did I love the display from the first second it started, but I got the kind of finale I had been waiting for for soooooooo long!!! An increasingly intense finale, loaded with salutes! YESSSSSS! What a great Birthday gift! I have to mention one thing during the display, that I really enjoyed. It was that segment just above the lake, where low level rockets were fired alternatively from left to right and then, from right to left.....it felt as if it was a battle or a war being fought over the lake! I just loved it! During the display, the intensity was so high that I had a feeling the finale would be something to remember! And at the very end, the finale, which I recorded entirely, Travis ;-) and will share at the end of the competition with all of you (wink, wink), was just wonderful to watch and feel! I just kept my screaming to myself during the finale, but let it all out after it was through......you'll hear it on my clip! ;-)

Dan.....yes, the finale and the amount of salutes was tremendously delicious I fully agree with you......and hey, don't forget that Italy won the Cup!!! ;-)

Roger.....moi aussi, je crois que l'Afrique du Sud se retrouvera sur le podium à la fin de la compétition......mais quel Jupiter obtiendront-ils?

This is how I rank the countries so far:

1. South Africa
2. Italy
3. Switzerland
4. Argentina

(I did not attend the Portugal display )

Have a great week, everyone!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 09:56:38

Chris,

Thank for sharing these pictures with us! Did you take them from the bridge? I like especially these two pictures from the Portuguese show with the Vampire in darkness.

Fred

Posted: Jul 17, 2006 17:49:41   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for the kind compliments and the provocation of seeing the finales that you recorded. Of course, the South African team did an excellent job while I'm happy that you got the ending since it was the best so far this year! The display, too, was tremendously full of action and the lower effects were very subtle, in my opinion. The construction of the display, as I said, was very unique, especially the start and finish between segments.

I can see that you had a wonderful time during your birthday leading all the way up to a wonderful fireworks display. Really, you had a beautiful ending for the conclusion of your birthday! I'm also happy that you enjoyed other events that took place at the time while I'm sure you must've enjoyed your dinner to a maximum.

And yes, I did notice the rockets at the lower parts and it certainly did look like war over the water.

Good to hear from you, Pierre.

Hi Chris,

Your pictures are wonderful and look very professional, like the ones taken on this site. I have a feeling these were taken from the bridge viewpoint based on the angles, but I'm not totally sure. It's always impressive when smoke is omitted from the picture!

Thank you for sharing these pictures, Chris.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 18, 2006 07:03:59

Thank you, Fred and Trav for your kind comments. Yes the photos were mostly taken from the bridge. The exception are the Argentinian photos, which were taken from Notre Dame, just past the bridge. As I said, I'm a bit of a n00b to the fireworks scene, I just decided this summer to check out as many shows as I could, and I have really enjoyed what I have seen so far. As far as photography, I have made many attempts over the years to take photos of fireworks, some worked, some didn't, and I learned from my mistakes . I am using very different techniques from the suggestions posted here anyway.

I will continue to post photos from the rest of the shows, as I plan to attend all of them.

Fred, you mentioned a Vampire in darkness...I *think* you're talking about this:

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/prfireworks01.jpg

Am I right? It is really a different firework anyway, very unique.

Incidentally, whoever runs this site should consider a photoglossary...the existing glossary is pretty good, but there are a few things on there I cannot imagine what they look like from the description (probably because I am new to the jargon), and certainly people have mentioned types of shells on this forum that are not listed. I would really like to learn more about fireworks, but there really isn't a comprehensive web resource, and I've looked pretty hard. This site is certainly the best I have found, so I'll be sticking around here I think

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 18, 2006 07:31:33   Edited by: fireworksforum

Chris,

thanks for your photos, they are most excellent! I run the site and have considered a photo glossary, the main problem is that certain effects are hard to distinguish on a photo (e.g. the difference between a peony and a chrysanthemum) due to the time exposure. Still other effects such as anything with rotation is also lost in a photo.

As for the Vampire, Fred was referring to the photo which has a sillouette of the ride called the vampire in it. ( http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/prfireworks07.jpg )

Could you share your photo techniques with us, since you mention they are different than the article on this site?

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 18, 2006 07:38:13

Chris,

It is true that the firework effect on this picture may looks like a vampire. However, "Le Vampire" is also the name of the inverted roller coaster at La Ronde, with purple supports and yellow track. So I am talking about these two pictures:

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/prfireworks07.jpg
http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/prfireworks16.jpg

Feel free to express your opinions about firework here or to ask question about the name of different effects. It's not easy to learn about it since the names are often abstract and it happens that pyrotechnicians from different countries use different names for the same effect.

I am looking forward to watch the next pictures!

Cheers,
Fred

Posted: Jul 18, 2006 08:30:03

As for the Vampire, Fred was referring to the photo which has a sillouette of the ride called the vampire in it.

Ah...I see. You can totally tell I've been to La Ronde ...I do plan to go though, probably on the 29th, and pay admission to see the fireworks there in the evening. Someone said the Gold section is where I want to be.

Just out of curiousity, what IS that type of firework called? South Africa had an interesting shell that did this as well, but differently:

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/safireworks12.jpg

Similar, but with a yellow thing coming out of the middle, making it less stark, and more flower-like.

The other one I am most curious about is these glittery things:

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/prfireworks11.jpg

Possibly my favourite effect.

As for the photography:

- The main difference is that I typically use short exposures, and lower f-stops. Most of the photos are 2.5 seconds, and f6.5...plus or minus a couple stops, with a film-speed equivalent of ISO 80. This setting almost always produces great photos, and I just need a bit of luck to capture a good arrangement of shells. I never use a bulb setting (because my camera doesn't have one ...very few digital cameras do...you need an SLR, really)

- I use a longer exposure for those really slow-moving rockets, like these...to capture the effect better, like here:

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/safireworks20.jpg

- I like to increase the f-stop a bit near the end, things can get bright...a lot of the finale photos I take don't work out (I agree with the person who wrote the article here on that point).

- Also, like him, I like to see where they're shooting the shells, and fix my camera on that spot. I find that I don't like a lot of shells cluttering up my image, so the shorter exposure time helps clear things up a bit. Of course, Fiatlux went and really expanded the normal shooting areas, some of their shells went far higher than I have ever seen before...had I known, I'd have been prepared, as these would have made beautiful photos

- I try to analyse things on the go...if they've used a certain arrangement of shells multiple times, one that really looked good, I'll try to predict and shoot the next occurance, if there is one. Like when Canada had those barrages near the beginning, where they had that one shell that shot the things all over the place, randomly:

http://eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/pics/fireworks/canfireworks04.jpg

Very cool effect.

- Sometimes, I have been able to track shells as they fly through the sky, moving my camera to the place where I anticipate they will explode, fixing it there, making sure the tripod is stable, and depressing the shutter...it takes some work and luck, but the results can be really great.

- With a 1 GB memory card, I can take up to 400 photos...so I really just take as many as I can, trying to capture all the unique ideas, but I don't care if I have a dozen that look all the same, because one might have turned out much better than the others. The most I have ever taken is ~120 in a 30 minute show. If I take a lot, there is a better chance I'll get good ones, right?

If I think of anything else that worked for me, I'll let you know. One thing...I have had great success on the bridge, as you can see...so vibrations really haven't been a major issue (maybe in a couple shots they played a role, but that could have been me bumping my tripod slightly too ).

Equipment:

Panasonic FZ20...5 megapixel, 36-432 mm optical zoom equivalent (I never use much of that zoom for fireworks, obviously, but it comes in handy other times for sure )

Page loading time (sec.): 0.026