Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2006 Display Reviews —› U.S.A (Melrose Pyrotechnics) reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 19, 2006 19:06:31

Hi guys,

Well, as always, post your reviews here. I'll have some comments when I get back.

And what perfect weather to support it!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 20, 2006 00:23:29   Edited by: Enkil

Wow! That was an excellent show by Melrose Pyrotechnics!

That was probably the most exciting show of 2006 so far! Just last Saturday we witnessed an emotional and dramatic display and tonight the opposite, it was a fun and "happy" show!

All of the segments were well planned and enjoyable, except for one segment that came after the "Sound of Music", which was kind of dull, but this is a minor criticism.

This show was simply a blast for those who love to see and hear big. Their HUGE shells, as well as their "candles", appeared to have exploded very high in the sky, and they were just breathtaking and stunning. They were also very rich in color and content.

I must say the organization and the uniqueness of each segments were so well done and executed. Everyone around me were impressed and cheered at every segment.

The songs were typically American, which made the show a very traditional one, after all it was about the US. Being a big fan of American culture, I enjoyed listening to almost every song as they were very "friendly" along the display (typically American), I loved it.

On a funny note, one of the tunes sounded a lot like the "If I was a rich girl" song lol. Maybe this one was an older version or something. That segment was very unique and beautiful.

The synchronization was to me flawless! It was probably the most synchronized show of the year.

I know I've placed Canada on the number 1 spot because they too had an excellent display, but both of them were very unique in their kind and there's really no comparaison to made between these two.

However, the only major problem with the show was the lack of originally in terms of the theme. I wouldn't necessarily say the same for the display because to me, it was one of the best traditional American displays I've seen. Actually, almost all of them amazes me beyond expression with their intensity and power!

The final was surprisingly not as intense as I thought it would be, but nonetheless, it was amazing. They should have made a fearsome finale like France 2005 (here we go again) lol. But the whole show throughout had bits of finales, which were very delightful!

My ratings so:

1. United States
2. Canada
3. South Africa
4. Portugal
5. Italy
6. Switzerland
7. Argentina

Rated from Notre-Dame street and may not be debatable with those who watched the displays from elsewhere without recognizing that my viewpoint is different from theirs.

The displays this year in general were quite good and getting better for each show, except maybe for the finales, they should be a little more intense...

Posted: Jul 20, 2006 00:56:11   Edited by: Chris_2112

WOW!!! It maybe lacked some of Canada's originality, but it more than made up for that with multiple climaxes...I don't think Canada had ONE climax. The synchronisation and artistry was very good as well, I agree about the bit after the Sound of Music, a little dull, but it made the rest of the show seem even better, by comparison...they had a lot more action up in the sky, and some very unique shells. I really loved those mortar-shots...you could hear the very loud bang of the launch, and you knew to anticipate massive explosions, way up in the sky...very impressive. What a contrast to last Saturday, eh...you couldn't have two more different shows. And yet each did exactly what it set out to do, very very well. I have a hard time ranking, because of this. Anyway, as usual, photos, from the bridge...a few didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but I included some that look a little sloppy, because the effect they show was really cool...like that veil of sparks coming down like a waterfall from the source...very cool. Enjoy!

http://www.eps.mcgill.ca/~devries/fireworks5.htm

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 20, 2006 01:16:40   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

The American display really set off a powerful reaction and impression to tonight's audience while I was totally enamored by an intense and dedicated start to a most elaborative conclusion. I must say that this was the loudest display I've heard in quite some time while I also share the sentiments that it was truly exciting.

I particularly loved the segment just before the penultimate piece where there were rapid shots of colorful brocades in contrast to the weeping willows that mystifyingly burnt downwards into a dark blue color. Some of the candles went much higher than we're actually used to while much of the high leveled massive shells were so loud that the bridge would shake and our bodies and clothes would equally push back.

The orange candles, mines and accompanying comets at low to mid-level were very intense and were rather dynamic upon being demonstrated. The sequences of mines in between the candles from the left to right in differing paces was totally admirable and gave way to a beautiful picturesque scenario. I particularly loved the the mines moving from left to right or right to left in harmony with the music.

Synchronization was excellent, especially with the mines and candles with the associated comets. The lasting appeal of the music also went very well (in certain areas) with either the massive about pink/red glitters at high levels or the weeping willows and kamuros as they trailed ever so delicately downward. The contrasts between colors were also apparent while I did especially enjoy the way the white was brought out by the intense oranges, for example. However, as Enkil said, I found the final part of the "Sound of music" soundtrack a little bit odd in terms of rhythmic flow since a lot more could have been done to support the music beat. There were other times when this was apparent as well, not to mention a brief moment when the music was going and nothing was happening for almost 10 seconds. However, this was relatively minor and everything else was incredibly stunning. The theme was also well chosen is correspondance to the selection of music. But the display itself wasn't totally original, in my opinion, though I found it to be a typically well organized and concocted show.

The ending was brilliant and had beautiful crescendo, as did most of the entire display itself. However, it still sort of lacked a tad of intensity leading up to the knock out blow, but, in any case, it was still very scary with plenty of noise along with the continuous flow of extreme high leveled massive shells with the rapid "1,2,3" sequence while a lot of ball star scattering from silver shells just below accompanied by latter mixing with blues and greens and perhaps a touch of purple stars. The variety of go-getters were also neatly organized while the shells of swirls fitted in perfectly. In addition, I was fascinated with the differentiation in the missile-like/UFO noises that made there appearance at one time. The colorful mines also went very well with the music when presented and I personally loved the mine criss-cross effect in the middle.

A truly enjoyable and most traditional scheme while I did notice a lot of the patriotic colors used, especially the mix of blue and red from high leveled shells (along with perfect symmetry in exploding) that made an appearance in a latter piece. I also personally loved some of the massive shells that exploded at ground level or perhaps made a rapid upward fan like motion. The rapid shots of some of the pistils were also quite subtle upon exploding while increasing with pace. Unlike Canada, this was a much more active and traditional approach, though both the displays were effectively very different. However, the American display was the most active and exciting so far, especially with the pace increases within many segments, such as the dramatic red opening, or the rapid shots of shells that scattered into ball stars.

At the end, I was somewhat trembling in excitement while my ears were ringing from the loud/bright salutes, not to mention the frequent high leveled shells that were always over our heads. There was much cheer and delight within the audience this evening; a feeling that terminates all doubts and anguish.

I'll have a full review when I get the chance.

Chris,

Your pictures are very stunning and will serve to help me write up my review! I appreciate you sharing all of them with us while I also can see that the viewpoint and angles have respectively captured the colors and lower effects! I also see you gor a shot of those screaming serpents that made that differing missile-like noise. I can also see that you got a fabulous shot(s) of the massive shells and shells of double rings.

Indeed, the show was exciting and was totally more active than the Canadian display while it showed a completely different attempt.

Once again, thank you for the pictures! Really, they have been very professionally taken.

I did forget to mention that the smoke engulfed a huge area on the other side of St-Lawrence after the display was finished. It looked like a dense early morning fog.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 20, 2006 21:00:18

As other have written, I think that Melrose's performance was a good one and this new entrant can hope for a Jupiter prize. After the show, someone told me that the show was similar to those of Eric Tucker: a "clean" and high-quality display, without major problem... and, I add, which did not go off the beaten track.

This display was made of a wide range of pyrotechnic pieces dispatched on five ramps. I specifically enjoyed the numerous sequences of synchronized mines along the firing ramps, the cakes of flying fish (like those used by BEM in 2005), the crackling shells with crackling pistils, and the wide fans of very loud crackling comets in the finale (Bugano made the same effect early this summer). I also liked the small pieces similar to meteor-headed comets which successively climb up along cables to the fourth ramp from both sides of it. Once they have reached the top of the ramp, a fan of candles vertically launched other comets.

Richness of colour was also a good component of the show. The wide range of colours was obvious in the fifth part, when shells of pale and deep blue stars appeared at the same time in the sky. Many colour-change pieces were used throughout the show.

Two short narratives were included in the soundtrack right after the first part and just before the last one. They didn't add anything to the show in my opinion, but they didn't create any problem too, since they were short and that some pyrotechnic effects occured at the same time. Moreover, Melrose didn't experience any major problem. Only one set of candles mistakenly shot comets by the end of the first part and one semi-circular fountain came into life too late along the third ramp.

However, Melrose made the less interesting use of the lake since the 2006 competition has started. Only some nautical flares appeared during the second narrative part.

I expect very good performances from Brézac and Foti. I am looking forward to see them!

Posted: Jul 20, 2006 22:28:52

Hey guys!

Tomorrow, Friday July the 21st is a very special day.....that's the day where I will write my comments on Canada and the USA's displays.......nothing special about that, but what will be special, is that it will be Travis' Birthday!!!

I just had to come in here and wish you, Travis, a wonderful Birthday. Enjoy your day to the fullest, my friend! In just an hour and a half or so, it will be YOUR day!

Talk to you later, my friend.

Pierre

Posted: Jul 21, 2006 11:39:35

Hi Pierre,

Thank you very much for the kind comments and good wishes, my friend; I really and truly appreciate it.

I also got an early birthday present with that thunderstorm(s) last night! I was remarkably impressed with it as was previous big storms we've received in the past, unlike last year.

Anyhow, Pierre, I look forward to reading your remarks based on both North American displays. I'm sorry I haven't been up to date with my reviews since I have been rather busy for quite some time.

Once again, thank you very much! I'll be sure to have a good time. Plus, tomorrow is my grandmother's birthday. And next year, I believe my birthday will fall on a fireworks day while there is a fireworks display falling on my grandmother's birthday tomorrow!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 21, 2006 18:45:28

allo tout le monde !
hey bien j'ai adoré le feux présenté par melrose pyrotechnic !
j'était sur le pont et j'peut vous dire que sa brassé ! surtout dans la finale mais bno j'me suit fait plaisir et j'ai tout filmé et je l'ai en version VHS ! d'ici peu j'vait tout les filmer usquaux dernier !

jerome

Posted: Jul 22, 2006 17:57:07

Finally I'm up-to-date with all my report!

Enjoy!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2006 15:45:17

Here are my interpretations of the American performance:

Travis' personal rankings and display criteria rankings:

-Synchronization: 9.5/10-Very nicely done in this area and had alternating rhythmic attempts most of the time, though different from Canada.
-Color: 8.5/10-Not a huge variety of colors when compared to either Australia or France, but certainly had some elegant colors that worked well with the display, especially the patriotic colors!
-Creativity/Originality/Concept: 8.5/10-A very different approach compared to some displays, but it lacked a little originality in connection to the theme and within the overall performance. The theme itself was strong, but not as distinctive to some of the pieces in the display. Some of the songs were interesting, but others a little vague in my mind. However, the show was still very encouraging and made excellent use of all levels of sky, especially in mixtures of colors from high to low altitude.
-Choice of music: 8.5/10-The music was excellent and enjoyable, but I felt that some of the selections didn't exactly fit appropriately.
-Finale/General Appreciation: 9.5/10-An excellent finale, though more in pieces, with plenty of noise and good attempt with pace. The music was also perfectly chosen as well, so everything went just flawlessly. The lasting appeal was apparent and really captivated the audience.
-Overall: 9/10

This was a very enjoyable and exciting display with plenty of action with accompanied loud booms from the massive shells at high levels for most of the display! This was also a completely different approach from the Canadian team while I feel that the US team will also be a winner somehow, though I'm just not too sure where to place them just yet. Though not as original as Canada, they certainly had a powerful performance and very accurate synchronization while a lot of the transitions were very coordinated to the theme. It's quite possible that Canada could also outdo them because of their artistry and creative attempts, but USA was a more traditional and direct show that equally went well with the selected soundtrack and the theme in their own unique perspective, though the thematic attempt was not as distinctive as Canada's.

Trav.

Posted: Sep 24, 2006 14:28:04

ok, all, i guess i feel so poorly informed, i need to beg for information. where do i go to educate myself in order to perform as a pyrotechician.
i am (unfortunately) hindered by my location in the U.S., but i need a career change and i have loved from the beginning pyrotechnics. not just the bright bang boom, but the art of timing and set up, and this whole coupling msical scores to visual accompaniment, brilliant! some help if youcould, email me sites to visit for certification/education/training courses
venetianfaith@hotmail.com
thanks a whole bunch!

Page loading time (sec.): 0.022