Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2006 Display Reviews —› 2006 Jupiter Predicitions
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 27, 2006 10:45:14

Despite being slow with my reports this year (I've still to complete both reports for the excellent displays from France and Australia) I think it's time to start making some predictions.

In my opinion this year, there were five displays which are clearly contenders for the top three spots, three which are close and one which did not come close:

Top five in alphabetical order:

Australia
France
Portugal
South Africa
USA

Very close behind:

Canada
Italy (despite the technical problems we must remember this was a good display)
Argentina

Not in contention:

Switzerland

Of the group of three, Canada had by far the most interesting theme and concept and could easily switch with either of two of the group of five (Portugal and South Africa).

In terms of themes only, I believe the top three were:

Australia
Canada
France

Canada and France were the most experimental by far and Australia was the strongest for a more traditional approach which all the right highs and lows and nuances.

Both South Africa and the US had good themes, but somewhat predictable. Portugal was also predictable, but the music was great. My favourite theme from a purely musical point of view was Australia. My favourite theme for concept was France - though this theme was sort of similar to the Panzera closing show last year, but executed in more consistent way I believe.

Finally, as for my top three, I still need a couple of days to think about this and will post my predictions and personal picks here just before leaving to watch the closing show and awards.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 27, 2006 11:44:08

I'll have in-depth comments regarding each show once I have organized my notes and reviews later on. For now, my personal top three so far are:

1st-Australia
2nd-France
3rd-U.S

I wouldn't mind if South Africa hit 3rd or 2nd as well. Portugal, Italy and Canada could also very well make it, not to mention Argentina.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 27, 2006 17:23:38   Edited by: Salutes lover

Here are my predictions, based on my personal tastes. This would be my final decision if I were a member of the jury:

1. Australia (Gold)......for a powerful display and intense finale!
2. France (Silver).....for moving me with an original display!
3. South Africa (Bronze)....a lot of action and strong finale!

Special notes:

-Canada left me very disappointed with what I think was the worse display of this season

-Italy had a wonderful finale worth mentionning, despite their problems

-USA had a strong display throughout the 30 minutes (could make it to the podium since it's my fourth personal choice)

-Switzerland had a nice display

-Argentina's display was good

-I did not attend the Portugal display, unfortunately

I just can't believe the season is almost over

Pierre

Posted: Jul 28, 2006 17:09:42   Edited by: Smoke

Pierre,

I'm in complete acquiescence with your rankings, but I'm still in contemplation for third place. I wouldn't mind South Africa making their appearance, but I'm still thinking about USA, Portugal, Canada, Italy, and perhaps a touch on Argentina, for some reason.

I also know what you mean when you say that the competition is almost over, but to me, it only started the other day. I just wish Winter would go this fast.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2006 00:54:55

It is a real puzzle to rank the best contestants and to select the winners. My nine marks range between 31,5/40 and 35/40, with five contestants between 34 and 35/40! I think that the race should be close between the five identified by Paul. Despite these difficulties, we have to make a choice. Following is mine:

Gold Jupiter - Brezac Artifices (France)
Silver Jupiter - Foti International Fireworks (Australia)
Bronze Jupiter - Fireworks for Africa (South Africa)

FRANCE. Plus: the most original artistic concept with a good theme well illustrated by music and visual effects; wide range of pyrotechnic effects; original and uninterrupted soundtrack; perfect synchronization; no (obvious) technical problem. Minus: no piece with colour change; a finale which was not as spectacular as some others.

AUSTRALIA. Plus: a great use of the stage area; a strong beginning and an awesome finale; narrative and musical strategies leading to a climax at the end; richness of colours; spectacular cakes close to the audience; a theme about theater productions. Minus: conservative choice for the largest part of the soundtrack; several minor technical problems.

SOUTH AFRICA. Plus: a perfect synchronization; extensive use of nautical effects close to the audience; a wide range of pyrotechnic pieces (including the unusual cones of rockets); Minus: theme about the African continent undermined by Star Trek music; a 15-second blackout a short time after the show started.

The American and Portuguese teams also deserved a prize, but I can't put more than three on the top of my ranking!

UNITED STATES. Plus: wide range of pyrotechnic effects; richness of colour; perfect synchronization; comets moving along cables toward the fourth ramp; few technical problems. Minus: no original soundtrack; insufficient water effects.

PORTUGAL. Plus: wide range of pyrotechnic effects (including four cakes which comprised more than 1200 pieces each!); spectacular nautical pieces; perfect synchronization. Minus: limited range of colour; some repetitive sequences; a conservative soundtrack on the rock theme; minor firing problems.

I add some comments about the four other contestants, in order of entrance into the competition.

SWITZERLAND. Plus: richness of colour (including several pieces with two changes of colour and the popping bunches); several multieffect pieces; large fans of crackling comets. Minus: minor problems with synchronization; lack of theme to unified the show; minimalist setup; many similarities with the displays produced in 1999 and 2000.

ITALY. Plus: wide range of pyrotechnic effects; perfect synchronization; fountains with original shapes; fast transitions between each part; appropriate use of the stage area. Minus: the most important tragedy of the year with a 2min25sec blackout during the penultimate and last parts of the show. Without this problem, Soldi's display would have been an award one for sure.

ARGENTINA: Plus: spectacular use of the lake with more than 100 nautical fountains in one part and large nautical comets in the finale; original soundtrack with four versions of "Don't cry for me Argentina", including a French one recorded specially for the Montreal competition; original theme around Latino American political history. Minus: limited range of pyrotechnic pieces and colours; minor technical problem causing some asymetrical sequences; lack of pyrotechnic material in several segments.

CANADA: Plus: wise use of the fifth ramp to create pyrotechnic effects very close to the audience and depth effects; original soundtrack; good synchronization. Minus: lack of high-level effects; some repetitive and too long sequences; minor firing problems.

Fred

Posted: Jul 29, 2006 01:06:18

Bonsoir tout le monde

Bon je souligne au départ que je n'ai pas vu les feux du canada et des USA lesquels d'après ce que j'ai lu sur le forum étaient très bons.
Ouf cà s'est corsé au fur et à mesure de l'avancement de la compétition.
J'ai vu tous les feux juste au dessus du site sur le pont sauf ce lui de l'afrique du sud que j'ai eu le plaisir de regarder sur le site . J'ai regretté de ne pas avoir acheté de billets pour le feu de Foti.
Tu as raison ENKIL ce spectacle m'a vraiment fait capoté du début à la fin. J'étais en feu oui en feu. Du grand art pyro`de mon avis bien sur.
Mon classement maintenant.

AUSTRALIE
FRANCE
PORTUGAL
AFRIQUE DU SUD
ARGENTINE
SUISSE
ITALIE

Non vus: USA et CANADA.

Intensément

Roger

Posted: Jul 29, 2006 02:19:09

Predictions............ Well, I'm from Barcelona, and one year ago I was in MTL and I could see the fireworks, the next year I'm going to come back. Now you're making predictions, and I ask you for some different predictions:
------- Wich shelude you think there will be the next year?¿
I know it's only a prediction, but for example: Mybe the shelude of the 2007 will be better than the one of this year, because maybe there will be some of the firms from the special prize (2004).
Well, you, the experts in the montreal fireworks competition.... TELL ME YOUR PREDICTIONS!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!![b][/b]

Posted: Jul 29, 2006 13:40:38

My summary and rankings are now up on the report page.

Let's see if I'm right this year!

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 29, 2006 18:52:32   Edited by: Smoke

Hi guys,

Well, I've gone through all of my notes and have written up my broad comments regarding each show. It took more time than I thought, but I've gotten it completed. The firms are listed right after the country to show who's representing them. I've then added my final predictions, as well as my jury predictions (and other formal rankings) at the end. I hope you all enjoy it to an optimum degree!

And, just to note, we certainly had a decent year, weather wise, with plenty of nice and pleasant evenings, though a lot of the displays had rains during the day. Other than that, I can say, once again, that 5-6 entrants deserve a prize, but sadly, only 3 can win. In some contradiction, of course, this is the core essence of the excitement of the climactic decision-making!

-Switzerland-Bugano: We had some fantastic humid Summer weather for the opening display, which really allowed for a large audience. I personally loved this well-executed display considering that there was an excellent variety of color richness, which never really deviated from the actual concept of the show. A very impressive start from the Swiss team, but there were certainly some problems that were present throughout the show, especially within the constraints of a well forwarded thematic approach, which wasn't as strong as it could have actually been. The colors seemingly did well to reinforce much of the concept, but the lack of an effective theme tends to through off some of the enjoyment of any particular display. Creativity was also a small dilemma, especially in coordination with the music and other effects in the show. However, the music selection certainly allowed for adequate attempts between pace transitions, which was deeply expressed. Finally, the show was simply too redundant, especially with some of the colors and effects used. The finale was more of a series of faux finales and sort of lacked in getting to the point, though I loved the 2 smileys at the end. Given the overall impression, I do not think that the Swiss team will make it on the podium, but still a delightful and average performance to start off, nonetheless.

Overall: 7.5/10

Italy-Pirotechnia Soldi: Continuous perfect Summer weather made an appearance for the second display running. An incredible performance from the Italian team! The show was very exciting and had beautiful transitions between more tranquil to intense pieces, especially within individual segments. However, the display wasn't totally original, but the creativity was moreso astonishing while having effects that simply eliminated redundancy. I loved the frequent use of the shell of shells of multi-breakers and the accompanied salutes from time to time. The music choice was very much ideal for this sort of approach, especially when it came to transitions between parts. The thematic establishment wasn't as clear for some parts and the colors weren't as rich by contrast to that of the Swiss team. Furthermore, if it wasn't for the chastising over 2 minute delay in the ending segment and in the concluding part of the penultimate area, then this would surely be in good standards for a prize. The ending, nonetheless, was typically the Italian style and certainly excited the audience, though the feeling of an anti-climax still lingered on in our minds. It's a shame that this had to occur when it did (and at the wrong time). It's more pitiful since the rest of the display itself was pretty much nicely done.

Overall: 8.1/10

Argentina-Cienfuegos: Weather-related problems have taken place with this display with very gusty winds not permitting the display to be fired safely. In addition, there were some days of heavy rains associated with strong storms prior to the presentation. In any case, the wind velocity decreased to acceptable levels for the show to begin nearly 16-17 minutes after the regular firing time. The show was very nicely concocted, but still a touch imbalanced between the music and the fireworks. However, the low level effects were totally effective and had a nice variety of colors used! The music choice was good, but way too repetitive, especially with a soundtrack appearing more than once (3-4 times actually), though still had differeing rhythmic flows and allowed for adequate fluctuations. However, I feel that other soundtrack could have equally been as appropriate to increase the diversity of the performance in its entirety, especially in the music choice sector. The display, however, was very artistic and one of the most original this year, but I don't think, while everything else being constant, that they will make it on the podium due to a lack of color richness in comparison to the more flamboyant selection in previous displays, plus some, once again, repetition in some of the effects. The weather, too, might also throw off some better judgement.

Overall: 7.8/10

South Africa-Fireworks for Africa: In contradiction, perfect Summer weather resumed its delicate conditions for this new country in the competition's history. However, not weather involved, there have been some electricity problems just before the display was supposed to commence, which obviously led to another delay (longer than the last, mind you). The display itself was able to begin practically half an hour after normal firing time! In any case, despite the frustrating debut, they really made a remarkable impression on Montrealers that evening with some of the most extravagant colors and effects used. I particularly loved the sequencing of this show considering that it well defined their theme of emotions and perhaps a more indirect notion of culture. The more subtle and fortifying beginnings in each segment would tend to conclude in sudden outbursts of massive shells firing all over the place. A very distinctive effort from this team and can truly have the prerequisites of making it on that podium tonight. The theme was very nicely chosen and worked well with what was being demonstrated. Synchronization was very well done, safe for a couple of noticeable parts where it was just off. The only criticism that comes to mind is the repetition in firing scheme since a lot of them witnessed in many segments seemed surprisingly similar. The 2nd best finale came from this team with plenty of intensity, excellent variations, duration and color. They really will be remembered to us here in Montreal after such a show!

Overall: 8.8/10

Portugal-Macedo's Pirotecnia: Very comfortable weather, though a tad wet during the earlier hours, giving way to support a highly anticipated display. This time, with no delays, the show started and ended off brilliantly. The entire design was very well constructed while some very good attempts at choreography. I loved the ideal approach of the thematic implementation as well since it gave way to brilliant color choices that simply worked well while evoking mysterious ideas of the artistry of the show, especially with the deeper and more intense reds, particularly with the nautical shells. The delicate opening was very dramatic and really brought out the conceptual part of the show with utter brilliance. Synchronization was also very tight via ground level, which is possibly one of the best this year among competitors. However, I found the music choice a little vague at times, especially in coordination with the core of the theme, so this deterred some important impressions in my mind. The colors were elegant and well selected, but not entirely a huge spectrum that I was expecting. The finale was impressive, but not totally breath taking, especially when compared to South Africa's. That being said, this display has the potential for gaining possession of a prize, that is, if it comes down to personal opinion. It's a shame that people on the opposite end of the river were marred by smoke accumulations due to heavy moisture and the wrong wind direction in addition to a weaker wind speed. However, more than 90% of the display was not obscured and certainly still permitted to watch an otherwise beautiful display.

Overall: 8.3/10

Canada-Concept Fiatlux: Heavy thunderstorms erupted violently earlier in the day (as what is usually the case on days/nights of Canadian displays) giving a falsified impression of actually attending the performance. This firm also had some rotten luck with the weather back in the late 1990's. Thankfully, the rains cleared out while staying somewhat overcast for the show. This was possibly the most artistic display I've witnessed this season and for a little while. The show was really dedicated to its lower effects in relation to their theme. Synchronization was totally admirable and certainly worked well with what was being shown. There were some parts where I noticed that some candles were a little off cue, but it certainly didn't detract from the overall impeccable artistry. The show, in essence, was still very well balanced between high and low altitudes, despite what was interpreted before hand. I personally enjoyed the show, though it wasn't much in the way of excitement, but rather more with creative design and more delicate and tranquil ideas. Compared to the rest of the competitors, this display had a much wider range of sky space from one end to the other, which enhanced creativity. However, the appearance and reoccurence of the red nautical flares were just too frequent in sightnings and also for my tastes. Some of the other lower effects were a little too redundant as well, but I certainly loved the mine sequencing in relation to the typical concluding angled crossing mines at the middle. In all, excellent rhythmic flow and had a wide variation of soundtrack used, though not all were as entertaining. The Canadian team also made an apocryphal-like atmosphere when throughout the presentation. The finale was disappointing, but still a pleassurable way to conclude a display of this kind. To be honest, this display was completely different from both the more traditional aspects this season and the show construction altogether. In the long run, I still suspect that they could hit 3rd place if Portugal and others don't make it.

Overall: 8.7/10

United States-Melrose Pyrotechnics: Yet again, we had sincere weather cooperation with partly cloudy skies and some breezy winds. This was one of the most exciting and most powerful displays this season while I also feel that it had some of the biggest overhead shells and a more robust areas! The display was very intriguing and had excellent quality of materials used. I really was fascinated by plenty of the action that took place in addition to how well the color richness brought out the contrasts and transitions. There were times where you could think that it was a real finale during the show! Synchronization was the best this year among competitors, in my opinion, and had some very flashy rhythmic attempts. I was enamored by the colors used here and I feel that they really related to the theme. My criticisms mostly are devoted to to the lack of originality in this display since I felt it was more of an abrupt and direct performance, which was still very much enjoyable. The colors were very rich and worked well with most of the segments as well as the bottom effects. The finale was lengthy and, as expected, intense with plenty of shells at extremely high altitudes that would really ring your ear drum. However, I felt the ending, like another one I've described, was a tad broken into subsequent pieces and not really to the point. That being said, still a very enjoyable ending (3rd best in my mind). In all, this display is in serious contention for either 2nd or 3rd place depending on other viewpoints. Heck, it could even bring first if everything is considered. I found the sequencing just superb and firing capacity to just feasibly work with this sort of complex approach. Along with the end of the display, on the other side of the river (where I view the displays), a massive cloud of smoke engulfed the area while you may first think it was an intense night time fog.

Overall: 9/10

France-Brezac Artifices: The only display to suffer with rain, but thankfully, it was not as intense as it could have been, so things were still admirable despite the lowest attendance of spectators this year. This debutant representing France did a fabulous job from beginning to end. This show was also very exciting, especially with such an opening, along with some of the most intrinsic colors and some of the most dynamic ranges of effects. The theme connection was also possibly the most fitting, but yet possibly the most complex to understand. I understood the theme, though, at times, it felt a tad vague, but it certainly fitted in with this approach. The low effects were very nicely done, especially with the rocket and the assisting slender girandola! I personally loved every aspect of the show, but it certainly had a high degree of complexity. Synchronization was also very tight for the most part and the colors certainly did it justice in reinforcing the thematic link. The choice of music was also unique and equally as pressing. The finale was intense and consisted of weeping willows of gold as well as mid level kamuros. In this respect, it was only disappointing because of the lack of color, which is a surprising aspect to point out since the entire display was so colorful. This display must be in contention for winning standards and could very well hit 1st or 2nd place.

Overall: 9.2/10

Australia-Foti International Fireworks: Thunderstorms made their debut about an hour before the display to the North. Fortunately, these have fizzled out, though resumed just an hour after the display had finished. The best performance, in my opinion, came from this Australian team along with producing some very rich and multi-dimensional colors. The quality of the materials were also astonishing! I loved the use made of the lower effects as well as the way synchronization and attempts at choreography came into play. In addition, this was the most active and intense display from beginning to end with consisting of nearly entirely faux finales. I loved the use of all those delightful and flamboyant colors used all over (like France), especially with the pistils. The show was also original, but the soundtrack was not totally as original, but it certainly worked well with the theme and was the most enjoyable selection this season, especially in connection with the fireworks. The fireworks themselves also gave me a differing impression compared to other performances since the fireworks actually felt "excited" between segments relative to the music. The transitions were definitely apparent and were nicely executed. This display was also the loudest, in my opinion, since it was the first time where I had felt so deaf after a show. The finale was #1 by far, especially when you'd think it wouldn't be anything out of the original as compared to other parts of the display since those, too, were quite exciting! Instead, this was the king of them all and certainly had a corresponding faux finale to support it. I haven't felt that excited and satisfied in a long time. In this respect, it was a thunderous close to competition!

Overall: 9.4/10

Travis' personal predictions:

1st-Australia
2nd-France
3rd-USA

My jury predictions:

1st-Australia
2nd-USA
3rd-France (Portugal, South Africa or Canada could also kick in)

Best theme connection and concept:

1st-France
2nd-Canada
3rd-Australia

Top finales:

1st-Australia
2nd-South Africa
3rd-USA

What a way to close the 2006 Montreal fireworks competition! We certainly had a pivotal and dramatic year, though not as complex as what we've witnessed in recent years. The concepts were apparent from time to time, but the thematic links in most displays weren't as strong as expected. However, there was a huge diversity of colors used, especially within the final competitors of the season. The crowd attendance was generally good, though perhaps a touch smaller than what I'm used to seeing. The displays were very well introduced, despite some weather or technical related problems seen at the beginning. We certainly were exposed to a huge variety of transitions and contrasts as well. In all, a very tight competition as well as most entertaining!

As for my personal predictions, I feel that Canada and France had the best concept and thematic feeling while Australia had the full package, just not as strong of a theme compared to its counterparts, but still effective, nonetheless. In all, I think Australia will win the gold, but if not, I'm sure France would easily claim it. USA is also in good shape to get an award, for sure. Similarly, I also suspect that South Africa, Portugal and Canada also have standards to hit 3rd place for reasons I've already described.

It seems we have similar expectations in winners, Paul!

Enjoy the night, guys!

Cheers,

~Travis.~

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020