Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2008 Display Reviews —› Panzera News
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 19, 2008 11:26:58   Edited by: Saluteness

Greetings,

Paul you forgot to write in your report for Luso's display, there was a fire on ramp 1 (near the ferris wheel). Just might wanna tell others how intense that must've been

Yes, yes. Quite nice displays so far. Panzera gave me news, since I know one of the Setup Pyrotecnicians. I interviewed him. I was so lucky to have the opportunity. And as well, it wont count but he tells me it will be an incredible closing display.

"Panzera is preparing for a spectacular show, a lot of shells from this ramp, in back of me (Ramp 1). Some peices such as Studatas and large pistils of all colors, glitter plams, and weeping willows."

He also gave me a little scoop of info for the finale, "The finale is close to 2003 and 04's. Lots of salutes from the front and some in the back, I can only tell you this thought, most of the finale will be intense from ramps 1 and 2."

That was as close as I could get as far as information. I asked him the day after Lusos display. Many mortars of 3 were in rows on Ramp 1. All the sand covered with shredded aluminum foil and protective covering for the mortars. Certainly a dirty job. I also got the opportunity to see a stored up studata left unfired by the Portugese. Massive shell as long as my leg!They will be using it for the Panzera display

I am looking forward to seeing their display. Because i've seen them bring in some extra mortars and some rusty ones from 1998's Ipon setup from Ramp 1 near the large shipping carriers.
I will be looking more at the setup for Panzera. I knew the setup guy from my uncles friend who works at Fixx Pyrotecnies in northern Quebec.

I will have the opportunity to hold a 10 pound 2" shell! I never knew it was that heavy! Keep reading the forums for updates!

Thanks for reading,
Pat

Posted: Jul 19, 2008 11:35:26

wow never heard about the fire that took place near the ferris wheel! you're very lucky to talk to one of the pyrotechnicians... and even luckier to get some infos about the show ehehe! i wonder how much shells were left from the portuguese show hehe..

vander

Posted: Jul 19, 2008 12:43:10

Close to 2003 and 2004, you say? Well, then it will be a grand finale, guys - one not to miss. Thanks for the wonderful news, Pat!

And since you've mentioned that it will be similar to those years, just to give everyone an idea about both 2003 and 2004's grand finishers, here are the clips (they've always been fresh in my mind since then ):

2003:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rueDFnCiTQ

2004 (this is from Pierre - it's looking from the bridge):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH1Sa_Noz78

Enjoy!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 18:11:13

Greetings,

I got some more good information from yesterday afternoon with the same person. He gave me some extra tips, if you know what I meanMeaning shells! He told me some names of shells to be appeared (at least).
-Studata Lambis
-Multi Breaks (Usually at the end)
-Lots of Salutes!
-Large 10 inch shells, maybe some 12"ers.

He also told me. "Panzera is delivering a standard traditional Panzera/ Italian finale..The kinds Giovanni planned back in the days." It is said to be he heard from someone in the setup team that Panzera is going to have many triple and most likely quadruple breaks if not! I will have some more information by the next couple of days. In the mean time I will be looking foward for Austria's display tomorow night

And as well, Paul. Would I be allowed to go in by myself, cause I always have my uncle's friend, the pyrotecnician with me in order to get info.But he's always busy. We should plan to go together in order to get more information about the following displays coming up. I posted another topic about Austria if you haven't read..Check it out!

Pat

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 18:48:31

"Panzera is delivering a standard traditional Panzera/ Italian finale..The kinds Giovanni planned back in the days."

Very happy to hear that! So it should look more like the 1999 finale. The best one that Giovanni planned back in the days was the 1997 finale (or 1996). But if it's only similar to the 2003 one, I'll be satisfied.

Panzera is going to have many triple and most likely quadruple breaks if not!

You mean feux finales?

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 23:45:55

I mean there will be quadruple multi-breaks in the finale.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 00:51:08

If the finisher is comparable to Spain 2001 (which was by Igual), I think everyone on this forum who attends the fireworks, as well as the entire audience, will lose their voices for a good few days from extensive screaming.

As Enkil mentioned, some of the best closing displays occurred in the 90's, most notably in 1996 and 1997. The one in 1992 and 1993 also stand out. In general, though, the 90's really had it all.

Either way, hope to see a powerful finish - we've been lacking powerful Panzera endings since 2004.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 11:09:08   Edited by: Admin

we've been lacking powerful Panzera endings since 2004

To answer that Trav, in 2004...Wasn't that the year Maestro Giovanni Panzera passed away? That's probably why the finales are not as powerful. I am ashamedof his passing. Althought this year, we might get lucky and they will show us a nice finale. Last years was okay. But we need studata lambis this time!

Pat

Posted: Jul 26, 2008 11:40:20   Edited by: fireworksforum

To answer that Trav, in 2004...Wasn't that the year Maestro Giovanni Panzera passed away?

No, the Maestro died on 6th September 2000 (see http://www.montreal-fireworks.com/cgi-bin/rep.cgi?head2001,closing01,t ail2001 - the closing show in 2001 was dedicated to his memory)

But we need studata lambis this time!

I believe there are always studata lambis in the Panzera show, except perhaps for 2003 (I know one year in recent memory had a disappoint Panzera finale). Maybe it was 2002 which was the year that Michel Lacroix was MC for only the opening and closing shows (see http://montreal-fireworks.com/cgi-bin/rep.cgi?head2002,rank2002,tail20 02 )

For a special treat, look at this: http://montreal-fireworks.com/Video/panzera1999_finale.mpg for a reminder of what the Panzera finales were like in the 1990s.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 02:55:16   Edited by: Saluteness

Greetings,

I got back from the ramp, yesterday evening. Spending time with the guy. And also he gave me some extra news: We will be seeing many large 12" shells in the sky. More salutes than all the salutes throughut the entire 8 displays put together (estimated 3000). There is to be a good 3500-4000 salutes in the entire display (meaning all the salutes contained in studata lambis, italian shells, large salutes, salute teminated comets, etc.) Yes I am more excited than ever! And as well we can expect the most amounts of Italian shells used this summer. It's something to not miss, it will be a great ultimate Panzera-original finale. I will be attending with my entire family, friends and more. They really want to see what they have in store for us. So am I! I can just imagine how intense it will be. I also asked what will it be like (including the sutdata lambis). He replied to me, "I think I told you, it will be like the 2004 finale, and as well the studata amounts will be similar to Germany's (IP) from last year. Lots of studata lambis and much more." I am glad he gave me this info, for that we would'nt know what would be coming. I'd like to also say that for those who aren't aware. All the shells from all the 9 displays that were left unfired will be used in Panzeras display. If not, what's left will get put to the side and be used for another display to fire all the unused shells into the sky. Last year they did the same technique. We are all ready to see what Panzera has to offer us. A great treat is not to be thrown away!!

And as well I am working for Ampleman this August. I am setting up shells in small displays (weddings, anniversery parties, etc.) only containing a maximum of 5-6" shells. I am extremly greatful to have this oportunity, cause I worked for Fixx in summer 2007, setting up 3-6" shells that weighed a good 18 lbs for just a 4" Italian shell. And 7 lbs for a 3" salute. The large 6" shells, I have someone help me. Cause it weighs 30-40 lbs each. Which is really heavy. Fixx has the nicest most intense finale's in Quebec for small displays. Royale and Apoggé are much better, but Fixx uses a good 50 titanium salutes in under 3 seconds. Massive ending with a large 6" shell. [i][/i]I have to be honest, a 6" to me is big, I know at La Ronde a 6" is nothing compared to a 10 or 12". But believe me, a 6" is loud enough, the ones that we used were mixed gun powder and flash powder in the burst charge. We had fired 200 shells just for the finale in 1 minute. And fired 500 in the display. It was for a large celebration of something. I fired a chain of titanium salutes. It was quite awsome. but now i'm working with elites in montreal fireworks. So now I am getting ready to setup 8" shells in Ampleman's small displays.

Gladly, I will come back with info on the Panzera setup and Ampleman's news.

Pat

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 03:15:58   Edited by: Smoke

Thanks for bringing such additional beautiful music to our ears, Pat. I really look forward to this display, as well as hearing our Jupiter winners for 2008!

More salutes than all the salutes throughut the entire 8 displays put together (estimated 3000). There is to be a good 3500-4000 salutes in the entire display

0_o

Pierre, and all of us I'm sure, love the feel of that, but I find that figure for a salute count to be enormous - a very good thing. Sounds like quite a noisy performance put on by Panzera this year - I wonder if it's comparable to that of 1996, 1997 or 1999...But since it's similar to 2004, then I can safely say that we're in for something furious.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 03:39:04   Edited by: fireworksforum

And 7 lbs for a 3" salute.

You're speaking nonsense. I doubt you've ever held a 3" salute. If you knew anything you'd know that a 3" salute in Canada contains approximately 110g of flash powder for a total weight of around 300g, i.e. less than a pound. Just to put this into perspective, the 6" cylindrical salutes used by IPON have approximately 1kg of flash in them for a total shell weight of about 2.5 pounds. 7lbs for a 3" salute! What nonsense - and I don't believe you've been to the ramps at all.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 05:12:01   Edited by: Saluteness

3000-4000 salutes, I kinda made it sound like it was Thunder Over Louisville But as always a true Panzera finale is always topped off with so many salutes. The heavy shells were Fixx's shells, they dont weigh that much but for a shell in my opinion is heavier than what i use at home.I over-exagerated with the weight, it's just not my job to weigh it. I just shove it down a tube. They fill the shell more gunpowder than stars, like a daliah. That's their technique. I am not really elite at technical parts.
Nonsense indeed Paul, and I apologize. Kinda over excited for the closing display.

Pat

Posted: Aug 3, 2008 15:57:25

Saluteness,

I remember last time, for the Austrian display, you told us that we were going to see a "powerful finale," but we didn't.

Aren't the leftovers supposed to be reserved for the Pyjama display? I don't know if there will be Pyjama display this year, though.

Now I won't get my hopes up for Panzera finale, but we'll see!

Page loading time (sec.): 0.033