Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2008 Display Reviews —› Team Canada: news from the ramps
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 14:40:16

I just spent some time down on the firing ramps with the crew from Garden City Display fireworks. I would like to thank Michael Bohonos for taking time out of his busy schedule to talk to me about their upcoming display.

Whilst not as big as Portugal's in terms of shell count, they will actually have more large calibre shells than the recent Australian display. Of course, large shells are not necessarily a measure of the quality of a show, but it certainly bodes well for Team Canada. What is interesting, from a Canadian pyrotechnician's perspective, is that they are using products that are not normally available in Canada, particularly some big shells. I also noticed a lot of European manufacturers' products being installed too as well as some very special shells made especially for this display in the United States and fitted with MagicFire electronic igniters.

Speaking of the MagicFire shells, the effect being attempted is one that has never been tried before and requires timing down to the millisecond, as well as the special shells. It is certainly something to look out for. The design of the show uses a mix of traditional and contemporary design techniques which is Michael's signature style and should give a nice emotional feel to the display without lapsing into the mechanical feel that electronic firing systems can create if used inappropriately (just like when sequencers were first used for electronic music the result was often cold and mechanical).

The display setup is quite interesting with a large number of positions, 25, across ramp 3. I also noticed a lot of nauticals aimed out over the lake. The setup seems to be well advanced as I'm sure the team is trying to beat the showery weather forecast.

It should be a great show tomorrow!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 15:42:24

This is really shaping up to be a one-of-a-kind display. Thanks Paul!

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 23:24:08

Thanks for the news, Paul. Many of the shells from Australia were already so massively wide and powerful, so I can't really imagine how widespread some of Canada's would be upon exploding. I'll also be certainly vigilant for those new effects.

I hope the team beats the dismal forecast, but this is easily the riskiest weather so far. Let's hope for the best.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 08:20:48   Edited by: Saluteness

How big was Australia's largest shell? I mean the one eeryone saw that the glitter trailed to the river. Was that a 12"? Cause that's the biggest on you could have. It reminds me of my dad who told me after Australia that 10 years ago, Canada setup a 125 pound bomb (shell). I hope to see large shells, I most likely might be on Notre-Dame street. I don't think in my opinion that Canada will win, but yet...I can't argue with thatI'll stay positive
I am visiting Vancouver on top of that. The 'edge of Canada'. I most likely will miss the Vancouver fireworks that start tonight like Canada's I am going in the middle of August so I won't miss a show. Oh and btw, Paul...How did you get the permission on the firing ramp? I was just wondering. Instead of asking my uncles friends permission. I could do that cause i'm writing an article.

Can't wait for the show, excited.
Pat

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 08:45:06

The largest shells used these days are 12" - there was once a 24" shell in the competition, in the first year in 1985 if I recall correctly.

my dad who told me after Australia that 10 years ago, Canada setup a 125 pound bomb (shell).

Unlikely. If you read here: http://montreal-fireworks.com/cgi-bin/rep.cgi?head1996,closing96,tail1 996

Panzera had some 30kg shells back in 1996. I don't think anyone has had anything heavier than those. A 12" spherical shell weighs less than this - see http://montreal-fireworks.com/cgi-bin/photogen.cgi?SetupPics/material- 3.jpg,400,600 for example.

Oh and btw, Paul...How did you get the permission on the firing ramp?

I've been to the firing ramps many times over the years (first time was in 1998). One of the benefits of my dedication to the competition is a badge inscribed with the letters "JGR" (Jardin, Gradins, Rampe). Since the pyrotechnics crew is so busy, especially with two shows per week, ramp access is necessarily limited and I always take care to make sure my visits don't interfere with the work the crew has to perform. I'm always extremely grateful of this privilege that has been extended to me.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 12:12:57

Seeing that there will be plenty of products from European manufacturers, perhaps some among them could be Italian, and therefore maybe we will see some variety of those shell of shells.

Australia did use a few 12" shells, and so I'm guessing that some of Canada's will be a little larger - that would be something to behold, wouldn't it? Heh, I wonder how large a 24" shell would look when it explodes!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 12:24:37

Australia did use a few 12" shells, and so I'm guessing that some of Canada's will be a little larger

No they will still be 12" shells so will not be larger! However, an 8" Italian studata that weighs 30kg will appear larger than a 12" Chinese peony.

I wonder how large a 24" shell would look when it explodes!

Pretty large - I saw one at the Symposium in Japan in 2005. However, because of the safety distance, you have to be a long way back so, even though it is large, it is not as large as you might think it would be!

Paul.

p.s. there will be plenty of Italian shells tonight

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 12:28:51   Edited by: Admin

At the end of this video you can see exploting a 24 inch shell, the biggest shell ever launched in the U.S.A:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Aip619LJMDo

And here a 48 inch shell frokm Japan :

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh1burSYVlM&feature=related

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 15:17:22

Mr. Rovira,

At the PGI 1997 Convention held at Amana, Iowa there was a 36 inch shell fired. There has been some 24 inch shells shot at PGI conventions since then. There will 24 inch shells shot at the PGI convention next month.

Iowa Tom

Posted: Jul 23, 2008 19:56:07

Hey Guys,

I won't be attending the display tonight. And I am dissapointed to not see the large studata tonight either my cousin doesn't want to go with mei dunno why...anyways i wish the canadians a great display, in the rain.
Pat

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023