Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2008 Display Reviews —› USA - Pyrotecnico reviews
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 23:38:38

Je viens tout juste de revenir du spectacle de ce soir. Ceux qui ne sont pas allés voir le feu par crainte de se faire tremper par la pluie, ont manqué un spectacle superbe. ......et que dire de la finale....trop courte comme ça semble être la mode ces temps-cis, mais comment intense! Ouf, les "salutes" ont résonné si fort, que j'en ai eu la chair de poule!

Avec cette performance des États-Unis, le Portugal vient de prendre la deuxième place dans mon classement!

Je vous reviens plus tard....bonne nuit à tous!

Pierre zzzzzzzzzz

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 00:32:30   Edited by: Smoke

Good evening,

Well, let me just say that the weather did behave itself greatly, leaving us just with partly cloudy to overcasted skies and warm temperatures, just around where I said they would be! (22-23 C). Winds were also around the expected values and direction (clocked at 17 km/h from the SE), although a little more consistency would have been appreciated at times. The earlier convective brief light showers around 9:00 scared off a lot of people, but we still ended up having a large audience in the end on Notre-Dame. I'm just glad that the isolated rains and storms stayed away for this immensely powerful and enjoyable display provided by Pyrotecnico, but now you see why I was in opposition with the forecasts illustrating straight showers this evening - my interpretation simply called for the chance. In any case, the storms and rain cells were out there and still are (take a look at the current radar in parts of Quebec and Southern Ontario), but they clearly stayed well away from the region . There's a fair chance to see some of Mother Nature's fireworks tonight and through today.

Anyhow, aside from the weather, I will state that team USA REALLY BLEW MY MIND AWAY - easily one of the most powerful and overall vehement displays I've seen in years. The quality of the products was just fabulous and the diversity of effects was extraordinary - I enjoyed the various farfalles, stunning go-getters (some of these really scattered wildly), and of course, the HUGE chest-thumping salutes seen often during the show. Colors were flamboyant and often used in excellent mixtures at the most appropriate times. Synchronization was amazing and very entertaining with the music since virtually everything was right on cue, especially at low level with all the mines and the various meteor comet candles, as well as the three arcs seen spewing out at times wide fans of colors often during the display - really good use were made of these and the sequencing associated with them, particularly the main one on ramp 4 was stunning - I was truly impressed by it. Regarding the towers, I believe I noticed them in use not too long after the beginning of the show firing bright stars quickly to the left and right in perfect harmony with the music associated with that part. I think I may have noticed them a couple more times during the show as well, but it was a bit hard to distinguish whether that was part of the towers or just simply low level effects. Also, interestingly during the piece with all the photoflashes and salutes all mixed in, I felt that the salutes were creating their own kind of music variations where the higher level explosions were repeatedly followed by the titanium salutes near low level after each upper level sequence - sounds strange, but that's the impression that I got at this time, in addition to being excited as well. The 12" shells were apparent, some of which were enormous/widespread and as loud as Canada's, maybe even more deafening in some cases! They used quite a bit of the 10"-12" shells during the show - really got the audience excited, especially seeing that virtually the entire display was already so noisy, active and intense.

The only thing I noticed were that there were a couple of brief moments where some pauses emerged while the music was playing - I'm not sure if either something happened at these times, or there were low level effects for which we couldn't see, especially considering that there was quickly building smoke at low level for many points of the display. Out of curiosity, this display had an incredible amount of shells - how does this compare to Portugal's shell count?

I had a beautiful evening, and this display made it feel so much more grand. My family really enjoyed it as well as much as I!

Looks like a battle between Portugal and USA.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 00:45:33

Just to say that at the end of the finale, my camera gave a blue screen which read "buffer overflow, trying to recover data". I think the intensity of the visuals and me screaming just overloaded it!

Full report tomorrow. By the way, the dead moments were caused by a 12" shell muzzle breaking and knocking out part of ramp 1 for a period of time.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 01:31:47   Edited by: Mylene Salvas

What a show !!!! I'll have some pics uploaded later on, on my blog :
Mylene et Artifice

Good nite everyone ! After this, it will sleep sooooo well !!!!

1h56... Here comes the hard rain !!!

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 08:14:17

The video is uploaded now - just a warning that the last few seconds are missing as the camera couldn't take the noise and the screaming and had a buffer overflow - you really had to be there to experience it anyway, no video could do that final few seconds justice. Report and photos to follow later.

Oh, and just to note that once the winners have been announced, I'll re-encode their videos and get rid of all the jerkiness in the "busy" parts.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 11:56:14

Thank-you Paul for all of your work putting these videos up online. I certainly appreciate being able to see the fireworks even though I'm not able to be in Montreal everynight of the competition. What a fantastic year it has been, and it's not over yet! To be honest, even though I have loved all of the shows, and I fully recognize that each team puts in so much work, I am sort of rooting for my home team. Go USA!! A trully spectacular performance, and the first to overload your camera! Oh, to have been there...

A nice balance of power and finesse.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 13:05:37

Leave it to Rock & Roll - or more so Pyrotechnico's harnessing of it - to compel a proud Canadian to want to chant "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!"

While I had doubts about their choice of a "safe theme," Pyrotechnico did an admirable job of establishing their theme of rock & roll as somewhat of a Delphian Knife - a conveyor of love and peace; stimulant of the mind, eye and ear; as well as the moving force behind the undescribable sensation of bearing witness to last night's display. So while it was a "safe theme," it surprisingly had a statement and provided something to think about.

As Travis mentioned last night, the show had many strengths. Synchronization was excellent; the soundtrack was engaging and songs were almost unnoticeably edited for the purposes of the display (something I haven't noticed many other firms do); narration was used effectively, often spoken over music in a way that wasn't distracting and helped develop the theme while maintaining its cohesiveness; there was a good variety of product used and perhaps only the use of go-getters was overused; space was very well utilized with their awe inspiring set-up featuring custom-built structures that added a dimension to the low/mid-level of the sky; quality of product was impressive as was use of colour (the strobe shells used in the "Lucy in the Sky..." segment looked very tangerine to me). All in all, it is hard to take away points from this American team.

My criticisms are few. I felt that, as Rocco Vitale mentioned to Paul, the display had a very good, progressive build-up. The "Mr. Blue Sky" segment was easily one of their weakest (and not because it is slower-paced or because of the temporary glitch which occurred midway through) but because it lacked creativity. However, Pyrotechnico was able to rebound from it because of the excellence of the following segment, "War (what is it good for?)" The second area where I found the show lost it's grasp on me was prior to the finale (not a good time to lose the audience). I will admit to not liking U2 but I don't think that explains why I did not like the display's penultimate segment which featured the song "One." It seemed to me that Pyrotechnico just let the song make what impression it could and it was not supported or accentuated by the pyrotechnics. The fireworks used (cakes?) became repetitive rather quickly. Apart from that, I found that outside of the "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" (I think it was this one) segments, go-getters were overused. The ones in "Lucy" were particularly amazing and people in front of me in the audience were reaching out and trying to grab them like fireflies - very well used!

Display highlights for me would include the go-getters in "Lucy;" the sequence Trav pointed out with photo-flashes and salutes and candles, etc. used during "War" which incredibly simulated the sights and sounds over a war zone; the lush beauty and serene energy of the Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight" segment; and of course, the wonderful finale. I don't ever remember feeling salutes quite that strong before - like a freight train speeding through my chest.

Bring on the Chinese!

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 13:49:39   Edited by: Enkil

Slightly fewer people than capacity were present at La Ronde yesterday. It's interesting how La Ronde is always packed on fireworks days, compared to ordinary days. The park is so much more "alive." The only downside is that lineups are a lot longer than usual, which means you can do very few rides. So since they were running two trains on Monster, we decided to go on that ride. The only time when it rained was when we were waiting in line, but it was a very mild rainfall. We got off the Monster at around 9:45pm and quickly run to our seats in the silver section. The Monster set the mood for this intense display by the United States! lol

I personally think this was one of the best shows this year. There were many interesting and creative segments. It's hard to explain, but my favourite one was where there were photo flashes at the top. It was exciting and very well done.

Overall, the display was well planned and organized. At times, the show felt "very American," or you could've easily guessed that it was a display put on by Americans. I really enjoyed those special features. For me, the US team will be noted for having the best innovative structures this year. I also thought they made good use of them throughout the show.

An excellent use of the lake was made with another ramp closer to the audience. I should also point out that the display had many massive and beautiful shells. The quality of the pieces were excellent, but I have a feeling that in my mind, the award for best fireworks quality will probably go to Portugal.

Their Rock theme may not be original, but they did choose the right songs, which were in my opinion, more and less enjoyable. Synchronization was near excellent. Also, they could've improved some parts of the show, but this is a minor criticism.

They ended a great display with a very intense finale. I seriously enjoyed every second of the finale. Real finales can set you in a completely different mood when you watch a display! I absolutely loved seeing those final salutes at the end of the show. They were real intense salutes! Italy and the US had the best finales this year.

Finally, I can say that the new firm Pyrotecnico was well prepared for the event and had an excellent debut performance at our competition.

It's a tough choice between Portugal and US, but after giving much thought about both display, Portugal still gets my #1 ranking. However, aside China, I wouldn't mind if either one of them wins the Gold Jupiter.

My rankings so far - rated from La Ronde:

1. Portugal
2. United States
3. Canada
4. Australia
5. South Korea
6. Italy
7. France
8. Austria

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 15:21:35

Oh Wow.. Another very well done display. This one was really one heck of a show.. The show somehow reminds me a lot of the show by Australia. Maybe this was because some of the products used were very similar such as the mines to go-getter(probably from the same companies). It even reminded me more during the intro of One Love hehe. Well, It's always great to see how choreographers share the same idea for the same type of music.

At the beginning, the shadows/silhouette (whatever you cal it) of the arcs were really unique. It really felt like there was a rock concert stage in front of you. I'm not sure if this was really intended, but it was really great. I also liked how the same pattern of firing was repeated for the same sounding parts of the song like in the song mr. blue sky were the blue comets>fanned mines>gold willows were repeated after the glitter comets with blue pistil shells. This style made the show look more organize and it showed the sections of the display well. There were some really amazing mine works involving the towers and the arcs such as the part after "blue skies, yellow sun.." (by the narrator). I also really liked the gerbs at 4:58 of the timeline, the sounds that was created by the gerbs were quite interesting. The synchronization was really great. Varying from rhytmic, random, and on note synchronization. It was good that the boring parts didn't last too long, most of the time the display was really not boring. I agree that one of their best segments is the one with salutes, photoflashes, and whistles in it

The product used were also great. Very good quality, and some of their larger shells looked similar to the ones used by australia. The go-getter effects were used several times but i didn't think it was repetitive cause they used different variations of go-getters. Some of them were really wild specially the ones in the mines and the chrysanthenums to go getters. Different kinds of horsetails were also used. I particularly liked the ones in 16:01 of the timeline.. I tihnk those are called silk horsetails?. i really liked those, and they were paired up with really nice mines too. The italian (parente?) multibreaks, and cylindrical shells were really nice They really looked like parente shells ehehehehe.. The nautical shells they used were also great although i tihnk some of them didn't even reach the water!.

The theme of the display was really showed well. Just like what was stated in the press release, they were able to divide rock in different aspects, such as peace, madness, and colors.

The finale was really great.. Although it was really really wild, the synchronization didn't go out because of the mines and the comets used below. Ahaha the final blow appeared like a teaser

I'm really excited to see what Sunny has to offer this time around. They are probably the ones who have joined the competition the most in this year's schedule.

As for my rankings... All i can say is, the top three positions are as of now reserved for Australia, U.S.A, and Portugal.. I've decided to think about how I'm gonna rank this 3.... It's really quite hard!

Vander

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 20:58:00

hey guyss!! I was just wondering... est-ce qu'il y a vraiment une éclipse solaire demain, le 1 aout 2008, visible du Canada?? j'ai verifié sur un site pour en être sur. Le voici pour ceux qui sont interessés;; http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/eclipse/index.html

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 21:33:13   Edited by: fredbastien

J'ai eu beaucoup de plaisir à regarder Rock Loves de Pyrotecnico, d'autant plus que nous avons été épargnés des orages prévus et qui n'ont éclaté qu'en début de nuit. Je ne pouvais demander un meilleur spectacle pour le 125e du concours montréalais auquel j'assistais depuis le site de La Ronde. Pour ma part, ce feu dispute à Grupo Luso Pirotecnia la plus haute marche du podium.

Il s'agissait sans doute du feu le plus complexe présenté cette année, avec les trois structures en demi-cercle et les trois tours. D'une hauteur de 10 mètres, je craignais que celles-ci ne produisent pas d'effets significatifs, considérant que celles de JNS Pyrotechniek en 2004 mesuraient 23 mètres. Erreur: elles ont permis la création d'effets spectaculaires et synchronisés à la note sur diverses musiques, lançant mines et comètes à l'horizontal, ce que l'on voit rarement. Avec plusieurs effets nautiques, on peut dire que la firme américaine a vraiment exploité tout l'espace à sa disposition. Les structures érigées par Pyrotecnico atténuent l'originalité des arcs employées par Grupo Luso Pirotecnia. Certains effets ainsi produits étaient d'ailleurs très similaires à certains du feu portuguais.

Le rythme du feu était aussi très approprié. Comme dans le feu de Luso, la quantité de pièces n'a pas empêché la présentation de rythmes variés, prévoyant des moments plus calmes qui étaient fort appréciés. Bien que les fans de la firme autrichienne me le reprocheront sans doute, au chapitre de la densité et de la constance pyrotechniques, le feu américain et le précédent étaient diamétralement opposés.

La firme a également utilisé des produits de haute qualité, dont plusieurs bombes cylindriques et des bombes produisant de nombreux effets simultanément. Je note, en particulier, les bombes d'étoiles avec une pistille au centre et d'où émanaient également des go-getters, apparues dans le 6e tableau (Mr Blue Sky). Les différents tons de jaune sur la chanson Yellow témoignaient également de la richesse des couleurs de ce feu. Vers la fin du spectacle, des bombes d'étoiles sphériques étaient multicolores, mais les couleurs étaient regroupées par tranches plutôt que d'être distribuées aléatoirement.

Comme pour Luso Pirotecnia, le thème du feu était bien développé, cette fois autour des valeurs véhiculées par la musique rock. La narration était juste suffisante pour signifier aux spectateurs le thème spécifique à chaque volet. Je note cependant que la traduction de Rock Loves n'a pas été faite de la même façon par les artificiers ("Le rock aime", ce qui est bien la traduction littérale) que par les organisateurs de l'événement ("Pour l'amour du rock", une traduction libre qui s'écartait quelque peu de la version originale). Attention!

Concernant les faiblesses de ce spectacle, l'une est partagée avec Luso Pirotecnia. À l'instar de la musique de films, le thème rock était "facile". Il a souvent été choisi par les artificiers et il s'agit d'une valeur sûre devant un auditoire nord-américain.

Le feu américain a aussi souffert de quelques lacunes additionnelles. Premièrement, au plan technique, il y a eu des problèmes de mise à feu évidents. À plusieurs occasions, certaines lignes n'ont pas été mises à feu donnant lieu à des configurations asymétriques et à des tableaux un peu incomplets. Pendant le 6e tableau, un court "black-out" (environ 6 secondes) a eu lieu, amenant des interrogations chez certains spectateurs. Plus tard, le symbole de Peace and Love n'est jamais apparu sur les cinq plate-formes flottantes situées au milieu du lac. Deuxièmement, il me semble que la firme américaine a été un petit peu moins créative que sa concurrente portuguaise quant à l'utilisation des effets pyrotechniques et leur harmonisation avec la musique. Troisièmement, au début de certains tableaux, les feux tardaient légèrement à apparaître une fois la musique commencée.

Chacun de ces défauts sont vraiment mineurs mais, étant donné le caractère très compétitif de l'événement, il font en sorte que je range Pyrotecnico au deuxième rang sur les huit concurrents ayant performé jusqu'à présent. À ce jour, mes trois premiers choix sont:

1. Portugal
2. États-Unis
3. Corée du Sud

Fred

P.S.: My report is now online on PyroPlanet with additional information and a video (including the finale).

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 23:59:04   Edited by: Smoke

Country participant: United States
Company: Pyrotecnico
Date of presentation: July 30th, 2008

Once again, unstable weather took its place for virtually the entire day with partly cloudy to completely overcastted skies, along with periods of drizzle and at times steadier, though brief light-moderate rain showers during the late afternoon and early evening. Fortunately, at the time of presentation, aside from the relatively short light rains coming through between 9-9:13 p.m., we were left with ideal weather conditions, including just the right amount of wind, although consistency in speed would have been great at some points to move out some of the smoke at particularly low level, but no big deal. As a debutant representing the USA in Montreal, this new firm's display promised to “rock” and dazzle the audience of Montreal with power, creativity and serenity with their display titled “Rock Loves”, which it did nicely, mind you.

This was quite the true definition of a vehement display, and it’s also not too surprising that the audience was often in awe and frequently screaming their lungs out – the kind of level of excitement that hasn’t been witnessed since Caballer or IPON’s performance in 2004, most notably due to the fact that this display had used an enormous amount of shells, many being 10-12”. This particular display truly had the full package, so to speak, due to it virtually having such an immensely diverse set of products and a widely enjoyable set of soundtrack that was most appropriate for this sort of thematic framework. Most interestingly, the low level structures (the three towers and three arcs) were gracefully used and always had such amazing timing in sequences for whenever they were made use of. One particularly worthy example to make reference is during the commencing of “Sweet Child O’ Mine” where the arcs rapidly fired meteor comets accordingly with the music. On a related note, I personally felt the structures, especially the larger arc mounted on top of ramp 4 really captivated the audience frequently in a very mesmerizing way, likely because of how widely it would spew out brilliant multi-colored stars from its large amount of firing positions (29, I believe) and subsequently creating huge fans that spread out wildly in the process, one of which was just unexpected (near the beginning) and reached as far as the St-Lawrence.

Synchronization was very enjoyable seeing that much of the display, despite how relatively hyped it was, was very rarely off cue and the differences in rhythm and pace were seldom ever lost – the low level effects were often quite supportive in this respect with the vast variety of both meteor comet candles and mines, not to mention again the way the structures were used to enforce such precise timing when it came to sequencing. The quality of the products was excellent and I greatly appreciated how many of the effects were often in a good mix. The effects themselves were most appreciable and many of them, namely some of the shells, were unique – one of which had the same towering idea as those newly introduced tail ring shells used in the Australian display (I understand that they’re both from the same manufacturer) and the other were those massive shells whose comets would squander into an effect similar in appearance to many squiggly serpents (these were often seen in Sweet Child O’ Mine). The variety of farfalles was also beautiful, as were the photoflashes at one point mixed in with the salutes, shells of strobes, the multitude of large shells of crackling pistils (simulating that welcoming heavy rain/deep sizzling sort of noise), the powerful shell of shells and multi-breakers, horsetails (right, Paul? ), the various nautical flares, and of course the large nautical shells! The choice of music, though I wasn’t a fan of just a handful of tracks, was appropriate and the order permitted, quite in a similar fashion to that seen in the Portuguese display, suitable transitional points for more subtle pieces to be introduced, considering how fueled the overall feel of the display's behavior was represented – this was particularly true once the display had phased over to the segment of “Imagine” - I found this to be probably the most emotional and inspiring point of the performance. To point out a very interesting and simultaneously exciting piece, it would have to be that involving the photoflashes and salutes/titanium salutes, where the salutes seemed to be creating a distinctive rhythm of their own! The colors were excellent and chosen accordingly throughout every segment, as were the effects associated with them – some segments they were notably very appropriate. The theme was agreeable and easy to work with, although it was easy to become dubious with respect to how it would be portrayed – this was easily cleared up, however, after witnessing the display! The occasional narration actually worked well and never became inappreciably elongated when introducing those pieces.

My criticisms are, much like everyone else’s, relatively minor, but can be deemed considerable given that, as Fred mentioned, a handful of previous competitors are clearly already in contention for a prize, and so even small negative points can prove to be quite significant determining factors for our winners. Now, this display was very complex and obviously well executed with its overall design, and it’s evidently clear that the available space was utilized to the maximum capacity, and beyond. Though the display was nicely balanced considering that, as was the case with a few entrants this season, it was quite wide from the left to the right and frequently made its way to high altitudes, there was one point where things were, like Portugal (for comparison’s sake), fired towards my left for some time, sort of breaking up the symmetrical feeling at that particular moment relative to the rest of the display, until, of course, things started to eventually fire towards the center. Also, there was a brief pause at one point where it was completely silent for a few seconds before things started resuming again – I hear that, according to Paul, this was due to a “12" shell muzzle breaking and knocking out part of ramp 1 for a period of time" - not sure how that little pitfall will be considered, although it's faithfully true that the judges make their evaluations based on what they see. The theme was certainly well dignified and represented throughout the entire show, and again the music choice was appropriate in support of that. However, as several of you have already stated, I, too, felt the theme very general as compared to other more creative and perplexing themes we’ve seen other competitors this season work with. Therefore, the theme was not totally original, but then one could argue that the essence of the theme was represented through the fireworks themselves, in which case, this is entirely where the originality aspect of it came into play, so it’s a little difficult to keep this into perspective, especially since the display was fired so exquisitely to begin with. Finally, the show was barely ever redundant, but there was one particular point that I felt sort of deviated from the general variations in both feeling and rhythm that we were commonly experiencing throughout the performance – this was directly located during the “One” segment, where the firing pattern was a little too repetitive for my tastes, as well as using predominantly the same kamuro shells repeatedly. Compared to other segments of the display, this one seemed to be almost completely deviant, seeing that it didn’t really do that particular track (even though I didn’t really care for that song) as nicely and as vibrantly, so it felt a little tedious at this point in time.

Overall, this was quite a formidable (perhaps “furious” would do it justice as well) performance presented by Pyrotecnico, and their very display will surely become something of a great reference for future editions at this competition in Montreal. The display was enjoyed hugely, and people around me and all about were frequently enamored by many aspects of it. The finale was no doubt powerful and had some of the loudest finishing salutes that I’ve heard in a long time, although the finale ended a little too abruptly when the shells of varying colors, following the cluster of deep silver shells of strobes, had stopped so soon (still a great finish, of course!). Definitely a contender for a prize, but at this point in time, I still need to give it some thought on who should be Gold Jupiter standards (at least, in my mind) – clearly the US and Portugal deserve that honor, but when it comes to choosing just one of these for the position, we will need time to consider everything carefully! And hey, perhaps the jury may select another competitor that we never even considered – the thrill of surprise!

Trav’s personal scorings (for fun):

-Pyrotechnic components: 9.5/10
-Synchronization: 9.3/10
-Soundtrack: 9/10
-Technical design: 9.2/10
-Pyromusical concept: 9/10

-Overall: 9.2/10---------->Nicely done, guys.

(Scores will be adjusted before the closing ceremony)

And here’s a happy birthday to my cousin, Erin, whose birthday happened to be yesterday (the 30th) – I know the Americans really gave you a real treat with the display – glad you were able to attend!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 00:34:07   Edited by: dambrig

Bonjour à tous

Tout d'abord merci à Paul pour ses vidéos, même si le plaisir n'est pas aussi intense que d'assister en direct à ces spectacles, c'est toujours une joie de les voir.

En ce qui concerne le feu des USA, techniquement parlant pas grand chose à dire : produits variés et suffisants, de très jolis séquences entre autres sur les structures en demi cercle ainsi que pour les bombes nautiques, une synchronisation excellente bien que la bande son ait été un peu décevante... Pour l'utilisation de l'espace, je vous laisse seuls juges.

Par contre, j'ai trouvé les enchainements entre certains tableaux un peu longs.

Et c'est certainement ici que je vais en décevoir certains... Fan de l'Autriche, j'ai trouvé ce feu absolument sans "âme". Aucun frisson n'est venu

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 00:55:42   Edited by: Smoke

I was just wondering... est-ce qu'il y a vraiment une éclipse solaire demain, le 1 aout 2008, visible du Canada?? j'ai verifié sur un site pour en être sur.

I was aware of this since after the lunar eclipse taking place back in February, but the only reason I didn't bring up any details regarding this year's total solar eclipse (in case some of you weren't aware of it), which is taking place not too long from now in this country, is simply because it can only be seen in a selected few regions of Canada, namely the Atlantic provinces, extreme Northern Quebec and other polar and sub-polar Canadian regions in various points of the Tundra. It's a shame that we won't be able to see it farther South, but I hope those who see both the partial eclipse as well as that of totality, will have some footage of it - the eclipse at its peak is lasting roughly for two and a half minutes in duration before returning back into the partial phases.

It's rare to have a total solar eclipse. You can probably catch some footage on YouTube following today from different locations. I think Northern China is expected to see it last, in which case, their's is arriving around sunset. Of course, the weather has a lot to do with actually seeing it, but I'm sure many regions will have ideal viewing conditions for this awesome spectacle.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 01:25:53

Bonjour à tous!
WOW, quel spectacle! Chapeau aux Américains! J'ai tout simplement adoré ce spectacle! Ils en ont mis plein la vue. Se mériteront-ils une place dans le podium? C'est ce que nous verrons le 6 août 2008 à la cérémonie d'ouverture.

En ce qui concerne le show, je tiens à féliciter les USA pour la diversité, la qualité, la couleur et l'ingéniosité de leurs pièces pyrotechniques, qui synchronisaient parfaitement avec la musique, qui elle, était originale et bien choisie! Il est vrai que le thème du spectacle était "safe" comme plusieurs d'entre-vous l'avaient mentionné plus tôt. Il était typiquement américain; vrai! Mais bon, il était bien traité et c'est ça qui importe aux juges! J'ai été bien servi!

D'ailleurs, la séquence ou la musique U2/MARY J. BLIGE - ONE (musique utilisée pour la finale australienne) accompagnait les feux, la dame à coté de moi a dit à son partenaire: WOW. Cette fois-ci, je pensais que c'était la finale!
Était-ce un faux-finale pour nous tromper? Les USA ont-ils mieux traité cette chanson que les Australiens?

Parlant de finale, la finale des USA était tout simplement diabolique (dans le bon sens), magnifique, éclatante... RÉUSSITE! J'en ai eu la chair de poule tellement que les dernières bombes étaient puissantes! Le tableau noir montréalais n'aurait jamais été aussi illuminé! Je vous invite à le regarder encore une fois dans le lien qui suit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0FA-4QKl8
L’émotion est effectivement moins intense en vidéo.

Finalement, voici mon Top3 :

1. USA
2. Australia
3. Portugal (vous êtes surpris?)

Enfin, la Chine se méritera-elle une place dans mon Top3? Ça reste encore à voir! Tout cela pour dire : ROCK… USAA ROCKKKK! Le spectacle américain était au-dessus de mes attentes!

AnnoyingKiid

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 01:29:51   Edited by: annoyingkiid

Thx Trav for the information ! I agree, it's a bit deceiving that we can't see it from Montreal =P. Anyway, I'll probably do as you said, watch it from YouTube.

AnnoyingKiid.

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 16:29:56   Edited by: fireworksforum

Finally my report is up. Bob managed to capture a picture of the 12" muzzle break. See here: http://montreal-fireworks.com/cgi-bin/photogen.cgi?Pics2008/Burch/us-0 05.jpg,402,600

Paul

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 08:17:19

Bon matin,

Je viens tout juste de mettre mon vidéo de la finale des États-Unis sur "YOU TUBE". Voici le lien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKv3ReLCmQg

À ce soir pour le feu de la Chine!

J'espère que j'aurai besoin de mettre mes verres fumés pour voir la finale!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 12:17:38

Hi Pierre,

Thank you very much for sharing your video of the last few minutes of the American display - it's always nice to see the perspective from the bridge.

My video of the finale can be found here:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qNLHZaXvIEk

Now we have the vantage points from Notre-Dame/de Lorimier, the bridge and from La Ronde!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 14:27:14

Hey Travis,

Thank you for uploading your video too....it is just great! Yep, we now have the display covered from 3 totally different angles, which is wonderful. Wish I could view it from above, sort of helicopter view!

Have fun this evening, my friend.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 16:56:30

Hi Pierre,

I'm glad you liked my video as well. Seeing it from an aerial view would be something, but speaking of that, of all my years at this competition, there have always been planes flying over or close to the fireworks site in background for every display - I find that pretty neat!

Enjoy tonight's show as well, Pierre.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 2, 2008 23:29:07

Salut

Les USA ont présenté un très bon spectacle..spectaculaire au maximum.J'ai adoré les effets produits par les 7 structures installés sur le site. Pour le reste je ne reprendrai pas les commentaires de Fred mais j'y adhère pleinement.
J'ai manqué quelques feux d'artifices cette année alors bien difficile pour moi de déterminer les gagants. Toutefois j'estime que les USA et le Portugal seront parmi les gagnants.

Bonne soirée

Roger

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020