Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2009 Display Reviews —› HongKong/China Lightning photos!!
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 09:04:02

Thanks to Bob Burch for sending me some amazing photos of the lightning that accompanied Saturday nights Pyromagic show. Take a look at http://montreal-fireworks.com/photos-montreal2009.html

Paul.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 09:55:27

Thanks to Bob, yeah! These photos are really awesome! One of them should be sent to MétéoMédia: they present everyday some pictures of weather events.

Unbelievable!

Fred

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 17:46:44

Awesome ! I wish I had gotten pictures of the lightning, but it happens so fast that unfortunately I was not able to catch it like him...

How much pictures does M. Burch take during a typical display ? He got so much pictures of the thunderstorm that he must press his shutter button a lot ! I guess that he uses a digital camera since he wrote his tutorial, as he sends his pictures very fast to this site.

Posted: Jul 13, 2009 19:36:17   Edited by: Smoke

It would seem that the lightning was the center of attention Saturday night, and it seems that Bob Burch was aiming to score some good lightning shots instead of fireworks! I must say that he was quite successful in getting some really sweet shots! Again, the lightning that you're seeing in the photos is called "spider lightning" or "anvil crawlers". Most of these are usually hidden inside the cloud, but can sometimes be rendered visible just below the cloud base under the right conditions, as seen here. Good stuff!

Although I have plenty of video footage of lightning this past Summer, I would really like to try to capture some still lightning pictures, especially for the crawlers.

As Fred said, photos can be sent to TWN/Meteomedia and may even appear on TV if they happen to share them (usually the following day that you sent the pics) - my photos of clouds and storms were seen on TWN a couple of times before - I couldn't believe it! I think these photos would be a serious contender to be shown on TWN simply because fireworks are involved as well. Give it a shot!

Edit: Glad to see that everyone has a great appreciation for the lightning!

Trav.

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 22:42:58

Just thought I'd share this video depicting more of the famed anvil crawlers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRH6fL323Gk&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

I miss Summer.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021