Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2009 Display Reviews —› Interview with Team Melrose Pyrotechnics
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 18:21:17

I was expecting to interview Mike Cartolano, designer of Melrose Pyrotechnic's upcoming display, but he has been ill this week and spent a few days in the hospital. Hopefully Mike will recover enough to be able to see his own show this Saturday. Instead, I spoke with Tom Thompson, who had been involved with the soundtrack design, but not the detailed pyrotechnics design.

Tom told me that they are building on their previous debutant experience in Montreal and will push the envelope much further than they did last time and be freer with their thinking. Ramp 5 will be extended to 15 pontoons in a V shaped position and will feature both proximate effects (these are almost always low smoke) as well as some set pieces, including 15 hearts, since the theme of the display is centred around love, but from a Hollywood perspective. I'll post the soundtrack when it's officially released tomorrow. It will be a complex display, with 4838 cues fired from 331 FM-16 Pyrodigital modules by 8 field controllers. There will be very few multi-shot devices but lots of one shots and one-row cakes. The products used will be Chinese (I didn't find out the manufacturer) as well as Vincente Caballer and Panzera (so quite similar to Royal in that aspect).

They started working on the show in September last year and finished the soundtrack by the end of October. They then built a full-sized replica of the La Ronde firing ramps at their facility in South Carolina so that they could test and refine some aspects of the display, particular the comet sequences - which will feature comets fired at a low angle directly towards the audience. Ramp 3 has 9 main positions and there will be 140 other low-level positions on ramps 3, 4 and 5 for the one-shot devices (which I saw being installed in wooden crates). There will also be line-rockets fired from ramp 3 up to ramp 4 as well as flame projectors and other special effects. Tom told me that there will be 1000 shells fired in the last 12 seconds of the display (half of these are 2.5" salutes) - so it sounds like it will be a dramatic finale.

I asked what impact winning that Gold Jupiter had had on their company. Tom told me that, despite being pretty much the largest display operator in the United States, they just didn't have the name brand recognition that some companies have and that it took persistence before they were invited to compete in Montreal. Since winning, brand recognition has increased a lot and they've now been invited to many different competitions around the world. Winning Gold last time increases the stress this time, but not too much!

Tom told me that they wanted to pick a sountrack that everyone would find enjoyable and they have printed 12,000 cards with a copy of this as well as some other information about the display (in both French and English). It certainly sounds like it's going to be a strong performance and I sincerely hope Mike recovers enough to be able to watch in person in Montreal on Saturday night.

Here's a picture of me and Tom Thompson.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 21:59:20   Edited by: fredbastien

Paul, this is another great interview with awesome information. Despite all things I heard over the years, I'm always impressed by the level of preparation the entrants put in their display. It's unbelievable to read that Melrose has replicated La Ronde's firing ramps to design and to test some sequences of its show.

Melrose had already an impressive setup in 2006 and this one looks larger. There were seven floating platforms in 2006, now 15 are announced. I am looking forward for these comets shot toward the audience, it may be interesting. One thousand (1000!) pyrotechnic pieces within 12 seconds is another exciting fun fact. Is line-rocket a device which burn along a cable? A look to my 2006 setup pictures remind me that they used this type of piece.

Finally, it is great to know that 12,000 information cards have been printed for the audience. Maybe Melrose's people read this forum, PyroPlanet and Mylène's blog last year when we all underlined the effort made by Sunny to inform the audience about their storyline. I continue to believe that it should be a standard in this competition to provide such information to the viewers each night, as it is usual at a theater or music concert.

BTW, I think that the info provided by this series of interviews are too relevant to remain in a forum. You should put them in a dedicated section of your website or, at very least, insert in your reports a link to the interview posts.

Fred

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 11:15:45

Haven't we've seen more shells fired in under 12 seconds? Wasn't Pyrotecnico one of them? From what I recall they set of around 1300 shells or so, from what I heard. Melrose is defenitley one firm I have not seen at La Ronde. But I have seen their display in the U.S.A. Paul, do you know wether it would be 12" shells in 12 second mixed with salutes?

Does anyone know the size of the titanium salutes they use in La Ronde's test? And does anyone know why last year they started adding a group of shells in the last and final test before the display?

Pat

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 11:21:43

Does anyone know the size of the titanium salutes they use in La Ronde's test? And does anyone know why last year they started adding a group of shells in the last and final test before the display?
It's not a test, it's part of the ceremony that introduces the team. Each salute/group of shells is fired at a particular point in the proceedings. I believe they are 3" salutes.

Haven't we've seen more shells fired in under 12 seconds? Wasn't Pyrotecnico one of them? From what I recall they set of around 1300 shells or so, from what I heard.
Where did you hear that? I do know that they fired 900 salutes in their finale though. But we've seen far higher numbers in some Panzera finales, particularly when they're firing their 60mm Thunder candles. I remember counting 2500 salutes just from these one year - all in under 10 seconds.

Paul, do you know wether it would be 12" shells in 12 second mixed with salutes?
No, I don't know. But I do know it won't be 500 12" shells

Atlas Pyrovision Productions fired 3000 shells in 45 seconds in 1995.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 12:48:57

That sounds like it's gonna be a great display.... 140 positions of one shots sounds like they won't be leaving any space of darkness in the lower part of their display... It's even more amazing that they replicated the whole firing area of la ronde just to test some of their sequences... We'll see how this will help them put up a better show I really can't wait wait to see the show...

Vander

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 14:54:27

Sounds like this is going to be one heck of a powerful performance (as always from USA) - my kind of display. Their show in 2006 was really nicely done (very creative and organized), though the finale could have been better.

Atlas Pyrovision Productions fired 3000 shells in 45 seconds in 1995.

I remember that finale well.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 20:16:21

Paul,

I have no idea what 500 salutes must feel like in a 12 second period....sounds great, but now, I wonder how many salutes must have been fired on June 6th, 1998 during Italy's IPON S.R.L. finale?

I remember being totally overwhelmed by the sight and sound of this finale.....I will never forget it!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 08:46:24

YES! Just the kind of report I was hoping for!

This is the first show we're coming up to see this year. And what's more, it'll be the first show that we're going to watch from La Ronde.

Mostly perfect weather. Big time show. Can't wait!

We leave for Montreal in 7 hours 18 minutes . . .

Chris

PS Paul, thanks for these great reports!

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 10:30:09

Leaving for Montreal in 5 hours 34 minutes.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 10:50:48

Leaving for Montreal in 5 hours 34 minutes. Chris, let me know what seats you have and I'll come over and say hello tomorrow. Safe travels!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 14:38:10

Paul,

We'll be in Section 301 Row C Seats 26-30.

Depending on who wins the coin toss, either my wife or I will be wearing a long sleeve "Rock Loves" shirt. (I guess if it's too hot/humid, we may not go with the long sleeves.)

Can't wait to meet you. You have no idea what this site has meant to me over the years.

1 hour 27 minutes. Leaving work. FINALLY! (wanted to leave at least an hour ago!)

Chris

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 15:06:02

Depending on who wins the coin toss, either my wife or I will be wearing a long sleeve "Rock Loves" shirt. (I guess if it's too hot/humid, we may not go with the long sleeves.)

Where do you get these shirts ? Do you buy them from the pyrotechnic company or are they given to people as a promotional item ?

I noticed that some of you have one.

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 15:53:00

Where do you get these shirts ?
Mine was given to me by Pyrotechnico. Maybe they're selling them now as they're doing a "Rock Loves" tour in different places in the US and also have it running regularly in the Six Flags park in New Jersey (I think).

I have quite a collection of pyro shirts for the years I've been reporting on the competition. I always have a laugh when I tell people I'm going to wear my Lacroix

Paul.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 01:47:45

1:41 am
Checked into the hotel after a truly uneventful trip. Wonderful to be here in Montreal.

STL,
I won the shirt as a door prize as part of the pyro training done by Pyrotecnico earlier this year. When I arrived at the training, I noticed the shirts and asked to buy one since I attended the show. They said that they weren't for sale (at least on that occasion) but had to be won. Fortunately, I was one of the lucky ones.

Chris

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 06:58:09

They are selling them on their website.

http://rockloves.com/store.html

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 20:38:13

Alright Paul,

I will be attending the display tonight my friend. My plan is to film the finale from Notre-Dame Street.

I won't be the only one who will be posting this on YouTube.

Enjoy the display guys!
Pat

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 16:52:34

We'll be in Section 301 Row C Seats 26-30.

Chris - I came over to that section several times but I didn't see anyone wearing a Rock Loves T shirt Sorry I missed you - hope you enjoyed the show.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 22:04:15

Paul,

Well, being our first time actually in the park for the display, we learned a few things.

1. It's not a good idea to be eating at McDonald's at 9:40.
2. There are a lot of people trying to get into the arena at 9:50.
3. If someone's in your seats at 9:59:53 (I knew that was the time because we were at "sept" in the countdown) and there's a large empty area in your row, (in a better location, by the way) just sit down!
4. Sometimes it's just too hot to wear a long sleeve T-shirt, Rock Loves or not.
5. And most importantly, watching the show from Section 301 Row C (whatever number seats we ended up in) is indescribably superior to the bridge, Notre Dame St., or anywhere else I've watched from in the last 7 years.

I know that the last one is stupidly obvious, but I'm still so thrilled to actually have been in the park for the display. One thing I do know is that watching so many shows from so far away made this very special.

As you can deduce, we were very late in getting to our seats so I wasn't surprised that we missed each other. We hung around for a while afterwards and I hoped that we'd be able to connect then, but I figured that the chances were slim because I'm sure you've got a lot to do after the show. Anyway, we're coming up again for the Closing, so maybe we'll try again.

Chris

Page loading time (sec.): 0.024