Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2010 Display Reviews —› Canada - Fireworks Spectaculars reviews
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 23:49:01

Given the level of the competition this year, a display of this magnitude seemed to have jumped out as if from nowhere. It just goes to show that even with a smaller budget, you can accomplish a beautiful performance. Fireworks "Spectaculars" surely delivered a spectacular display tonight and is easily my number one choice so far. Product quality was excellent and the choice of music corresponded beautifully and creatively with the theme. Music transitions were seamless and the arrangement permitted for delicate changes between subtle and active pieces. Similarly, music choices were excellent, appropriate, enjoyable and many possessed an emotional feel to them, drawing you into the display. A great diversity in effects at all levels - those massive nautical shells being some of the most memorable, as were those 12" tail ring shells and double-ascension girandolas, to name but a few. Colors were rich and also in a very good diversity. Excellent balance between low and high levels of sky and the scope of the display from the left to right was often quite wide. Synchronization was excellent and creative in which the music choices were represented in terms of enforcing the critical points and the signature notes, especially at low level.

And the finale....That was a true finale and resembled those that we used to see in the past! The start of the finale also reminded me a little of how Fireworks Spectaculars initiated it in 2007 with all the cakes and then overhead shells. The faux finale was convincing, too!

Other than that, weather seemed to have followed closely to what was stated in the reports with periods of brief isolated showers during the evening and South-Southwesterly winds at roughly 12 km/h by 10:00 p.m. Temperatures at 26 C and falling slightly at 25 C later in the display. Humidity was, of course, stagnant.

Brad, let me tell you that your performance was a real success tonight, as I knew it would be! The display was large and very entertaining to watch. Apart from the rain drops occasionally falling, I had a great July evening!

In any case, post your reviews of the Canadian display here. I'll have more later on and soon will, with pleasure, post my video of the glorious finale from De Lorimier/Notre Dame's perspective. It was fantastic is finally witnessing a quality display.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 23:55:55

After lurking since last year, I've decided to join the forum in order to congratulate Brad on his company's show tonight.

I don't have much to say right now other than it was easily my personal favourite of this year's competition (with the expected caveat of "so far" ), and definitely one of the best pyromusical shows I've ever seen. I left with a huge smile on my face - hopefully the judges feel the same!

Bravo!

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 00:42:17

Bonjour tout le monde,

Je me devais absolument de laisser mon commentaire cette fois-ci. Je reviens tout juste du spectacle grandiose que nous a offert le Canada ce soir. Ça faisait très longtemps que j'attendais un tel spectacle. Le Canada nous en a mis PLEIN la vue et PLEIN les oreilles Somme toute, une trame musicale ordonnée, quasi militaire et un spectacle solennel.

C'est bizarre, mais seulement quelques minutes après le début du feu d'artifice, j'ai senti que l'on était pour assister à un spectacle superbe, comme on en a trop peu souvent la chance. Les prestations des firmes précédentes ont été très intéressantes jusqu'à maintenant cette année, mais ce soir, le Canada a mis la barre très haute. La trame musicale était non seulement bien choisie, mais elle inspirait le respect. L'originalité des feux était évidente, l'intensité du spectacle était bien présente du début à la fin......et quelle fin!!!

J'ai lu plusieurs commentaires dans ce forum depuis le début de la compétition, commentaires qui disaient que les finales sont souvent trop courtes et/ou pas assez intenses (opinions que je partage bien). Eh bien ce soir, Fireworks Spectaculars a parfaitement démontré comment on peut faire une VRAIE finale, digne d'une compétition internationale. On en a eu plein la vue, plein les oreilles et j'ai vraiment eu le temps de bien sentir l'émotion monter en moi pendant cette finale dont la grande intensité a été soutenue assez longtemps pour humecter mes yeux.

Bravo Canada......jusqu'à maintenant, vous avez le Jupiter d'Or!

Travis.....I hope you had a wonderful day for your Birthday
Pierre

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 01:17:41

Here is my video of the final minutes of the display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsBjfz5l1Qw

I apologize for occasionally getting my hand in the way - I was merely wiping the rain droplets off of the lens.

And here is a composite radar image snapshot I took earlier in the afternoon of an impressive thunderstorm closely passing South of Montreal between 5:00 and 5:30 p.m:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG3072.jpg

This is why I felt it was appropriate to issue the risk for afternoon convective showers and thunderstorms since Thursday for yesterday (Saturday) afternoon.

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for the birthday wishes earlier! Indeed, my birthday was excellent as the weather was very warm/humid and good thunderstorms were present four days ago - lots to like.

I fully agree with your review of the Canadian display as it was truly enjoyable from beginning to end. The finale was most delightful and was a little surprising as we haven't witnessed such magnificence and power in a finale for quite some time. I believe Canada 2010 is enough to hit my list for top finales. I am happy that the display in its entirety satisfied you, Pierre. Nice to see you with us on the forum once again, by the way.

And Duncan_S, I am delighted that you have decided to join the forum! Glad to hear that you, too, thoroughly enjoyed the display.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 01:55:53

All I can say is that I shouted out WOW many times during the display, something that's been missing this year. Kudos to Brad and Fireworks Spectaculars for giving us a truly excellent display. If they don't win a Jupiter, I'm not attending anymore!!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 02:04:12   Edited by: PyroDan

Hey All,

Reduction in budget this year? Not for Brad lol. This display was absolutely stunning in the sheer number of shells employed. I was occasionally checking my watch not because I was bored, but because I was wondering how many shells were left for the finale! And boy what a finale! The entire show was powerful, so much so that many segments in themselves reminded me of previous finales Where did you manage to hide those shells?

Both the music and the quality of the shells used were incredible. I admit I have a soft spot for both Zimmer and Vangelis. Colors were extremely bright and varied, as were the effects. Some of my favs were the crackling stars which detonated so hard it felt like 12 inch shells! Synchronization was masterfully employed, unlike what we've seen so far this year (this display absolutely needed a computer to fire the shells ). I must add that the angles used were fantastic, it made the display look freakin humongous. Really wish that technique was used more often by other teams.

I had the feeling that Brad was answering our questions simply to get him on our good side ... lol. All jokes aside not only did Brad keep fans in the loop, he also created one of the best displays I've seen in a long time. Actually, after this display, I had the same feeling going home as I did after Royal's display last year. As a previous judge, my gut feeling tells me that you may very well need to update your CV this year with additional special awards lol.

All in all, a masterful display worthy of an enormous . Kudos to you my friend for such an awesome job. This display should have been called "Epic"

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 02:26:36   Edited by: Saluteness

Hey guys,

Hey Trav happy birthday man, hope you enjoyed it.
Fortunatley, I recorded the entire display!
So now you guys can watch it here..

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnpxFtVfPDc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cSEtgpiE2U
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl1MT64-gIY
Finale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZSN__b3yAE

As for my review of the display. Canada put it up to #1 in my books. The opening was nice, the body was nice. Very large 12 inch shells (you can hear the fiercefull power of them in my videos) and very nice color mixtures. One display I won't forget anytime soon. Good job to Fireworks Spectaculars. The finale was one tough ending. It was a big amount, but I still think Italy had the largest finale this year so far. Very interesting structure, and it was well synched to the music. Hope my videos give you an impression of what it looks like on the other side of Bob's view of his camera. I will be furious if they don't get anything as far as award. And PyroDan: I really liked those ground salutes and the large mines on Ramp 2. Those were LOUD! Paul, try to take a look at my videos that I took, the sound quality should be great. I just uploaded them so they might be a little foggy at first, but after several hours, they should be in mint quality.

Overall display:
1. Canada
2. Poland
3. United States

Finale:
1. Italy
2. Canada
3. U.S.A.

Enjoy!
Pat

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 08:18:36

I have uploaded the video for Canada.
http://www.burchcom.com/2010/index.html

If you want to download the video and save it, use this link.
http://www.burchcom.com/2010/canada.flv
Right click on the link and select "save target as"

Please note that I am uploading .flv files to conserve space.
If you download them, you will need a player to display them on your computer.

The Riva player is free at this site:
http://download.cnet.com/Riva-FLV-Player/3000-13632_4-10435953.html

Once you have the downloaded file, if you want to convert it to an .avi file, you can use this converter (also free download) http://www.any-video-converter.com/

I will leave all of the shows up in this index page throughout the season.

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 08:50:30   Edited by: Rovira

Finally a show that makes me feel same feeling than the previous seasons ! Very nice design, nice music selection, huge shells and a really good use of effects and levels, rich colors and a great finale (for me the best this year).

I'm sure people in La Ronde had a great time.

Thank you to all for sharing the videos !

Ps: the nautical shells were out of this world ..... hahaha

My rankings so far:

1- CANADA
----------

2-POLAND
3-ITALY
4- PORTUGAL
----------

5/6- TAIWAN / USA

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 11:25:14

That was definitely the best show so far! Very nice products, synchronization, and nautical shells

I thought that the products were very nice, the zaragozana shells were really nice and the breaks looked like they would be blinding when seen live xD Ofcourse it's always nice to see yung feng shells in shows, specially the rising tails I really loved the nautical shells they used, that's what real nautical shells look like xD I liked the nautical willows that had titanium or flash breaks in them. The colors of their shells were very nice too. Must be the wind direction but some of the ground fireworks looked like they produce a lot of smoke. Many of the comets looked like the stars got chopped making them look very messy :-S

The synchronization was very nice, and the sky and ground fireworks were very well balanced. I thought that there were a few small mistakes such as some mines/comets failing to ignite, this made the show look messy but it didn't distract much from the display. Their firing patterns reminded me of royal and garden city display. I really think that this 3 companies all have the same firing style, even their music choices are very similar to each other My favorite segment would have to be run free due to the very nice runs of mines and comets in different directions. I also liked how the gerbs were used here xD

Their use of space, as stated by many was really good. They covered up the air, ground and water pretty nicely specially in the finale. I think one of the weak points would have to be the theme because with the song choices, it wasn't really that evident. Overall this display was very nice although it could have used a little bit more polishing. While watching, it felt really short... hope it was longer xD

Here's my grading for FSC:
Effects: 9.5/10
Synchronization: 9.2/10
Music: 8.5/10
Technical Design: 9.5/10
Pyrotechnical Design: 9/10
overall: 45.7/50 (91.4%)

My rankings so far:
1. Canada - Fireworks Spectacular Canada (91.4%)
2. Italy - Pirotecnia Soldi (86%)
3. Poland - Surex (85%)
4. Potugal - Macedos Pirotecnia (79%)
5. U.S.A - Western Enterprises (76%)
6. Taiwan - Santai Fireworks (72%)

Next is Sweden's GFF! I can't wait to see this display

Vander

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 14:51:23

Another excellent display by Fireworks Spectaculars Canada. Finally a real pyromusical show at La Ronde! A good classical soundtrack, always works well with fireworks. Synchronization was again flawless like their 2007 show! A very creative and complex design that made good use of the whole area and the lake. It was just an excellent entertaining show that sure pleased the general public and the pyromaniacs. The theme was somewhat weak, but this is a very minor criticism. The finale was too amazing! Loved every second of it.

They didn't get the chance to win an award in 2007, but due to the low level of competition, they must win something this year!

My rankings so far:

1. Canada
2. Poland
3. Italy
4. Portugal
5. United States
6. Taiwan

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 15:06:34   Edited by: shinji

OK, here's the first review from Holland.
I really like this show. This was a pyromusical what's it ment to be. Very good soundtrack which make it possible to shoot the fireworks where it belongs. I mean, Nautical Shells, Single Shots, Mines over the water, that all makes this Pyromusical just a little better than the shows i've seen before.
In Europe there is only one company that can beat this show and thats the company you will see next saturday. Don't expect a huge final, but the goreography from Martin Hildeberg is something too look out for.
PS, sorry for the spelling foults.

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 15:12:53

I haven't yet posted a single review for this competition season. I decided that the first five displays of the 2010 season did not demand much afterthought, much review. They existed as they were; 30 minutes of (hopeful) entertainment, but none seemed to offer anything well beyond entertainment. "Going beyond" is what, to me, has established l'International des Feux as superior to other pyromusical competitions spanning the globe. While the standard in 2010 has been a less-than-stellar - Italy did offer a very consistent 30 minute display and Poland had about 10-11 minutes that were breathtakingly beautiful - Fireworks Spectaculars Canada, last night, affirmed that this competition has not yet lost its luster.

What exactly made Canada's display so exceptional? First, an impressive diversity of pyrotechnic pieces. Each segment felt unique, not stepping on the toes of previous segments. Second, a finely crafted and varied firing pattern kept the audience on the edge of their seats from start to finish. Third, it featured a wholly enjoyable soundtrack consisting of musical selections that, while perhaps not directly invoking the idea of real-life heroes, was music that would connect with the audience and evoke a certain sympathy and hopefulness. Coupled with this point, the music worked in a manner that benefited the overall display and not the song, or segment itself. Too often this year firms have used songs that are popular either locally or internationally only to try to connect with and please the audience. I find that this tactic, while arguably successful, often creates a disconnect from the display. Point being, Fireworks Spectaculars Canada knew better than to fall into this trap. The only selection where the fireworks played second-fiddle to the music was the Pink Panther sequence.

What Fireworks Spectaculars Canada were able to do, which separates them from those who have already presented in 2010 , was carry these aforementioned fine points, consistently, over a 30-minute period. Each of the previous presenters had a failing with regard to one of these points, in my opinion. It goes without saying that Canada's synchronization, quality of product technical design and quality of colour was splendid.

Now, on to why the Gold Jupiter needs to stay locked up for another 14 days. This was not a flawless display. My main criticism would be their inability to truly convey their theme. In 2007 this was not an issue for Fireworks Spectaculars Canada. Of course, they used narration three years ago (which I did not have much problem with except that it was used in excess). When it comes to theme in a pryomusical display sometimes you buy it hook, line and sinker; sometimes you take the bait but it doesn't bring you anywhere; and sometimes you are left swimming aimlessly. With Canada's display, "Heroes," I went along with the theme but found myself going too far trying to impose it on the display itself; even that wasn't easy. What I did gain a sense of was that the display spoke of, and paid tribute to the goodness of human nature - how we can brighten and rise above (as literally represented in the display) the darkest and most frightening of situations (wonderfully represented on at least two occasions during the display).

My second criticism (and this one is slight), is that "Heroes" was predominantly centered and symmetrical in design. This is okay - though I do enjoy finding beauty in off-balance, asymmetrical things. In maintaining a centered and symmetrical pyrotechnic design, Fireworks Spectaculars Canada left themselves open to mistakes seeming even more glaring. There were a few instances where, particularly, low level effects would occur on one side and not the other. What may have actually been a strategic decision on the part of the firm stood out, to me, as a mistake. And because their display was so centered and symmetrical, these observances were all the more obvious.

Beyond my criticisms, this was a return to form for l'International des Feux and Fireworks Spectaculars Canada deserves every bit of adulation from appreciative spectators who witnessed the display Saturday evening.

In the same vein as Paul's message above - if Canada does not make the podium this year, I will do all I can to be part of the jury next year and see to it that deserving firms, such as Fireworks Spectaculars Canada are rewarded for their achievements.

With only two firms left to present (albeit powerhouse firms who we all expect a lot from), Canada has certainly cemented themselves on the podium. Congratulations on a job well done.

Tyler

*also, best birthday wishes to you Trav*

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 16:57:48   Edited by: STL

What a show !

Now that my show-basher reputation is established, allow me for once to give out a very positive review, as Fireworks Spectaculars clearly deserve it !

Congratulations to Brad Dezotell for his amazing and extraordinary work. I was truly entertained from the very beginning to the end of the deafening and exquisite finale.

Speaking of which, I never though that it was possible to layer so much levels of intensity in the same segment (titanium salutes cakes at the bottom, chaos in the middle and what appeared to be studatas on top). I would have expected the show to end about midway during the finale, but Brad just increased the pace again and again, to the extent that I was wondering if it was even possible to go even further in intensity (guess what, it does !)

As for the remainder of the show, the soundtrack was as epic as the theme would have suggested and was in itself a good tribute to these "ordinary heroes" that are firemen, policemen and soldiers. The mixing work was worthy of a soundtrack Jupiter, that is if such award was awarded this year... I still don't understand the removal of this prize (or its brief reintroduction in 2009), as having a good soundtrack is paramount regarding to the level of excellence at l'International.

The public seemed to be very receptive when colorful effects were used (I remember people going wild when the 5-color Dancing Fireworks fan cakes erupted from ramp #3), and fortunately color was used a lot.

There truly was almost no repetition during the show : each effect was used at most 3 times, then gave way to other sequences. Excellent selection !

As for the nauticals, I don't recall being as much shaken by the shockwave caused by such effects from the time I began covering the competition (2008 season). Some nautical shells really did pack a punch, at least when the show called for it. I also remember beautiful blue nautical flares during a peaceful segment, so really the product selection was indeed well done.

Unfortunately, I felt that the "Pink Panther" sequence was a clear rip-off from the "Bummel Petrus" segment of Quebec 2009, as the pink comets clearly mimicked the trajectory of the golden ones that were the staple of this humorous segment last year. It might be a coincidence, though, but it left me with a strange impression... Maybe can Brad Dezotell indicate if it was the case (coincidence) or not (not so subtle inspiration).

All in all, a truly excellent display. I mirror the thoughts of the other commenters in that Fireworks Spectaculars already won something (what exactly depends on the remaining two promising concurrents). If they leave Montreal empty-handed (as was Portugal's team in 2008), then something's clearly amiss with the way the jury members evaluate the shows.

Let's just hope for the better !

My grade : 91%

Obligatory link to my review (and pictures) : Right here

STL

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 00:15:48

To "STL"

Thank you very much for your kind remarks on my show, I appreciate it along with all the other remarks on this forum and in person from several people. Even got thanked by the security guard in the airport. Really good feeling and what we are all about.

With that said, you asked me to directly respond to the Pink Panther segment and your suggestion it was a "rip-off" and therefore I will. I need to make sure you know, there is zero basis for you saying these things about this segment and I'm really not sure where these comments came from. To leave you no doubt, I would like to offer you the following facts:

1) I've never seen live or on video a show from Quebec City competition or the company you speak about.
2) The product we used was custom built by RES to do the effect we asked. They in turn developed it and we shot it at the suggested angle to make the effect happen.
3) The trajectory was set by my Ramp 3 supervisor to avoid the docks we had set of to hold all of the nauticals. This call was made the day of the show and worked out well.
4) Last, but certainly not least, "Pink Panther" has played a role in two other very successful competition shows we had performed in 2003 and 2004 (a full 6 years before 2009). I promised I would do the segment if I ever came back to Montreal and I was very pleased to be able to bring this and perform it in such a great venue and in its full version. In fact, many of my peers who I look up to consider it one of my "signatures".

I'm sorry about being so direct with you in a public forum, but I really had no choice as believe it or not 100% of the idea's for the show and soundtrack were mine! I also would kindly ask for an apology as I believe it is in order.

Regards,
Brad

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 04:50:14   Edited by: Saluteness

Hey Brad,

I agree with the fact that your explaining about your idea. I was all the way on the other side of the display watching most of Ramp 1 and Ramp 2 take their part. You managed to fit quite a few hundred shells in the last minute. Just keep pushing barrages. Hehe. I am also curious along with PyroDan, how did you manage to have that many shells saved for the last minute?

Other than that, good job. It was a good finale, probably the best finale (besides Italy) in the entire competition this year. I think it was more powerful than last years done by Royal. However, I've seen much more powerful finales. But I'm certain that this display will get you and your team a Jupiter award, without a doubt. I saw plenty of titanium salutes. And I noticed you had several studata lambis in the final 5 minutes of the display, where did you get those shells? I'm buyin' them

Very good job, I was impressed. Multi-breaks would have given you more power with less shells, but with the amount of shells you used, it was a good quantity.

Will you be posting your reviews in the next two displays? Because me, and Bob Burch will be posting the full length displays (both of us from a different POV). Hope you enjoyed your stay here in MTL and have a great summer!

Pat

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 07:36:24   Edited by: fireworksforum

Brad,

thanks for your participation in the forum and for your fabulous display. Perhaps I can paraphrase STL's question about the Pink Panther segment. The "Quebec 2009" he's referring to is Royal's display in Montreal last year - and he's referring to the Bummel Petrus segment which used golden twinkling comets from RES fired at pretty much the same angles as your Pink Panther segment. The similarity between the music in these segments is zero, but the effects used are the similar, at least, for the RES comets, except for the colour.

Of course, there were other firing angles you used that others have used this year (and previous years) that no-one made any comments about - such as firing candles horizontally over the water. This is a great effect and others have also done this - the first time I saw it was in 2001. Are people ripping off this idea now? I don't think so. Once it's been established that a certain effect is allowed to be used, it's no surprise that others use it in the future. This is how the state of the art in the competition is advanced.

I just wanted to add my perspective to the debate - if one has already seen an effect, its "newness" is lost when it's seen for a second time. The same can be said for music selections too - I remember some years where several companies independently came up with the idea of using a particularly song. The first performer was novel, the subsequent ones seemed like rip-offs!

Regards,

Paul

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 08:09:21   Edited by: STL

Hi Brad,

Thank you for having explained how you prepared the "Pink Panther" sequence.

I know that sometimes designers use ideas from one another in order to make a better show. After all, the available pool of effects to draw from is limited, so there has to be some kind of repetition from one display to the other.

My opinion was based on the fact that both the products and the firing angles were very similar, so I suspected that you took inspiration from Royal, which could have happened. I suggest that you check the Royal 2009 video just to see what I mean :

Quebec 2009 (around 6:34)

Note that you didn't use the note-synchronized mines and screaming roman candles, so my feeling was only based on the use of almost horizontal "leaping" comets from ramp #5.

I compare the situation to the recent plagiarism case between Coldplay and Joe Satriani for the Viva la Vida song : sometimes, the similitudes between two independant works of art may lead someone to think that one took inspiration from another, in a way that would suggest plagiarism.

In both Coldplay's case and your display, the allegations were found baseless.

Therefore, with the evidence you provide, I apologize from having suggested that you plagiarized (or took clear inspiration from) Royal's display for this sequence.

Yet, you have to understand that we don't have your insight in the design process and that we judge what we see. It's the same thing for music fans that may come to think : hey, Coldplay's song really sounds like Joe Satriani's; what the hell ?!

Please don't stay with the impression that I disliked your display, as I said that it was truly excellent. I just had a strange feeling with the aforementioned sequence, but thanks to your intervention, everything's clear now.

Thanks for the show, and for your presence on the forum ! There aren't many designers that choose to do this, and it was really appreciated.

EDIT: I edited my complete review to reflect Brad's intervention and to indicate that the perceived similarity was merely a coincidence. I don't often go back to edit what I wrote, but in this case I felt that it was necessary to do so.

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 08:59:48

Following five shows I and many viewers I talk with found very enjoyable but a little below the average of what we used to see in the competition, we have expected that the final three entrants may also be the winners of the competition. First of this ultimate trio, Fireworks Spectaculars Canada, I think, met the expectations and successfully came back on La Ronde firing ramps with a second complex, high-quality and entertaining extravaganza.

The show entitled « Heroes » was different from and similar with the debut display made in 2007 by this Alberta-based company. Beyond the technical problems experienced three years ago (although La Ronde took the responsability of a 19-minute delay, it detracted the audience and, likely, the jury from a very good display) and which fortunately didn’t happen this year (the only obvious one was very minor, a cake of green stars erupting at the wrong time on the right side of the area), the major difference was the softer thematic of the show. In 2007, I really appreciated the storyline related to the history of olympics, but I know that such emphasize on theme is not necessarily a winning condition here. So I think the designer Brad Dezotel was right to select a light theme, without any narrative. In fact, I am sure that those who hadn’t read the press release, the interviews with Dezotel, or who hadn’t listen to the introduction by Michel Lacroix didn’t make the connection between the title and the show. (Interestingly, I suspect that the Swedish team has a similar strategy : less emphasize on the storyline and avoiding the narrative, in opposition to the display produced in 2005. More about this next week!) A would say that the soundtrack was similar to the one used by Royal Pyrotechnie (Voilà) last year, that is, an atmospheric music, chosen more to support the fireworks than to create a strong storyline. The soundtrack was perfectly mixed, with short interruptions between only some segments as sounding fireworks ended their effects (i.e. : large shells of crackling comets). By the way, several pyrotechnic pieces did a lot of sound (with crackling, salutes, tourbillons, etc., adding an interesting component to the music.)

While some aspects of the second show were different – mainly to improve it – other were similar to the first one. One of the most important was the level of complexity of the design. It was obvious as I rode the Giant Wheel and saw the setup : Fireworks Spectaculars Canada did not only rely on all five firing ramps, but it made the most of them. The third ramp was extended on both extremities with an additional, perpendicular platform to launch several nautical effects, four very small and thin floating devices were installed along cables between ramps 3 and 5 (flames?), something similar to a mascletas along the quays between ramps 2 and 3 (« ground salutes »), two segments of waterfall over ramp 2, and other pieces which were unusually scattered throughout ramps 2 and 4. With a fifth ramp loaded of many pieces, the show featured massive and intense effects very close to the audience, which was also a stong component of their debut display.

This show – whose duration was close to 31 minutes – was made of a wide range of pyrotechnic effects. I’m a fan of nautical shells and I was delighted with at least two barrages of them. A short segment reminded me a longer one from Royal last year with short comets jumping above the lake. For the first time this year, we saw flame jets. We also saw different types of aerial shells, many with crackling pistils or ending with crackling clouds of thin stars, farfalles and double ring of farfalles, falling leaves, Niagara falls, photoflashes, and I also believe that some cylindrical shells, bursting several times as they move up, have been used in the show. Many cakes shooted different products, and also appeared to produce a lot of smoke. I understood why Brad Dezotel was concerned with the wind issue in the interview released by Paul early this week. This variety was also obvious with the richness of colours, which contrasted with previous displays. The audience became very vocal with a barrage of overlapping multicolor fan cakes of stars. It did also with the waterfalls and, later, with surprising sequences of silver jets erupting from the fifth ramp.

The rhythm of the pyro followed the beat of the music and synchronization was good through the display, with some note-synchronized effects. However, I remember that synchronization of the Swedish display in 2005 was incredibly tight through 30 minutes and I believe this is an aspect with which Göteborg has the potential to get a better score than Fireworks Spectaculars Canada. Other than that, I think the quality of the Canadian display was so high that the only way for Göteborg and Brézac to do better is to make more creative, unusual things (like Pyromagic in 2009 with the 7x7 grid and the letter-shape mines, for instance). I think Göteborg is creative enough for that and I understand from the official program that Brézac has sponsored a unique music composed specifically for the Montreal display. The next two weeks promised to be very exciting.

Travis’ weather forecast were also incredibly accurate. He has revised his forecast Friday and Saturday as chances of rain became lower. Actually, the air was very humid and we only experienced very light showers : not enough to open the umbrella before the show, then just enough to cover my camera with a plastic bag in perfect synchronization with the beginning of the display, at 10pm! The southern winds fortunately moved the smoke toward the right of the on-site audience, but they turned slightly to the audience at the very end of the display.

My ranking, so far :
1. Canada
2. Poland
3. Italy
4. Portugal
5/6. Taïwan/United States (in no specific order)

Fred

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 16:25:42

My review of this surely award-winning display is [url=http://montreal-fireworks.com/ReportBlog/?p=283]here. As I mentioned to several people after the display, if FSC don't receive a call inviting them to the winners' ceremony, then I won't be attending anymore!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 26, 2010 20:21:30

As the venerable Fred Bastien later pointed out, this contradicted my remark from Western’s display that the use of ramp 5 and its floating pontoons precludes the use of large nautical shells.

OMG! Paul, reading in your review that I'm venerable make me feel old and close to retire!

I just wanted to add my perspective to the debate - if one has already seen an effect, its "newness" is lost when it's seen for a second time. The same can be said for music selections too - I remember some years where several companies independently came up with the idea of using a particularly song. The first performer was novel, the subsequent ones seemed like rip-offs!

That is true and this phenomenon has happened several times. I sometimes feel that the world of pyro, like many other kind of activities, features some fashion trends as some effects, never seen before, suddenly appear in several displays within a short time. Paul wrote about candles launching stars or comets surfing on the water. I would add the rainbow effects (I think three shows had different rainbow effects in 2007, including the FSC's one), and the wave effects, which I saw for the first time in Marutamaya show in 2002 (a small one), then a second time one or two weeks later in Grupo Luso Pirotécnia display (a GIANT one)!

Fred

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 14:56:16

Note some of the follow-up posts which talk in general terms about critiquing a display have been moved here: http://montreal-fireworks.com/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=5&t opic=1058

Please keep this thread for direct discussions about FSC's show.

Thanks,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 22:28:25

Message to Brad Dezotell,

Brad, I don't know if you can understand the message I left in French in this thread on July 25th in the wee hours of the morning, right after I got back from this wonderful and memorable display of fireworks that you created for us. I just wanted to make sure you knew what I meant in my message. Just 5 minutes into the display, I knew this would be a memorable display, an unforgettable one. It was original, intense and powerful throughout the 30 minutes of the show, with a HUGE and EXTENSIVE finale, EXACTLY the way I want them to be. The reason why I always attend fireworks displays, is because I would not want to miss a powerful finale that has a build up to it, leading to a long period of successive and intensifying series of explosion that reminds us of the end of the world. Well, in all the years and all the displays I have attended (this means a LOT of displays), only three times was I totally satisfied with the finale! Only Benito Pagano and you Brad, have succeeded in making me scream and cry while watching a mind-shattering finale. Finales like these will always bring me back to attend fireworks displays, in hopes of witnessing another finale like the one Fireworks Spectaculars provided us on July 24th 2010. Thank you so much for creating such a wonderful show for our eyes and ears Brad! (and this goes for you too, Benito!)

I just hope you will both be back very soon in Montreal!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 22:57:28   Edited by: Smoke

July-like weather was once again prevalent in Southern Quebec for Canada's display with a very warm late evening temperature of 26 C (25 C later in the display), very high humidity levels and mostly cloudy skies. Spotty showers and isolated thunderstorms were also present during the afternoon, including one defined thunderstorm whose Northern periphery passed Montreal closely to the South ( http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/Rain12/CIMG3072.jpg ).
As expected, some light precipitation (seems to be some form of rain tradionally associated with Canadian displays over the years) ocassionally fell in a scattered fashion across Southern Quebec with bands of heavier rains and light thunderstorms to the North and Northeast over the course of the evening period with the passage of an approaching cold front. Winds were in the anticipated range at roughly 12 km/h from the South-southwest (SSW), and so smoke was predominantly blowing to the right of the audience at La Ronde, although, as Fred pointed out, winds started to shift more towards the Southwest towards the end of the display, and eventually from the West to Northwest overnight.

Canada's performance Saturday evening was not only of high quality, but it also, most assuredly, shed some light at the end of the dark tunnel suggesting that this competition has not lost its prestige. Even with a lower budget, this display was a classic proof that you can craft and coordinate a beautiful and stunning pyromusical. It was with the utmost delight to finally witness a magnificent display surface and light up the Montreal skies in all its glory. As compared to the previous entrants, Canada immensely stood out by providing a delightful choreographed performance that definitely broke through that more simplistic trend that seemd to veil over the competition this year. The colors were exquisite and rich in nature while possessing a delicate mixture in appearance during the course of numerous segments - some of the most intriguing and captivating being the blue, greens and reds shown from some of the multi-color shells. Interestingly perplexing was the ability of the choice of effects and colors to enforce the thematic premise, allowing spectators to be drawn into the display and the associated music selected for various pieces - one notable instance can be related to the manner in which the 12" tail shells were used at signature pieces of the soundtrack in which they were observed. The effects, as mentioned in my first post above, were in an excellent diversity from high to low level, including the gerbs and mines (nice sequences when these were present), red photoflashes (one of my favorites), silver double ascension girandolas, gorgeous farfalles, go-getters, fans of comets, whistling serpents/comets, cakes of salutes, z-cakes, multi-breakers and, of course, loads of shells and salutes. The massive nautical shells were also stunning and one of the more memorable effects for the display and this year.

Synchronization was practically flawless with some innovative sequences, particularly during the Pink Panther segment. The choice of music was very well selected in accordance with the theme and was also in a good arrangement to permit key transitions between tranquil and active pieces. Team Canada also kept the display in perspective while making a dignified music-fireworks connection - this is a crucial factor that has been absent this year. The overall pyromusical design was therefore excellent, while the technical component was also nicely achieved, principally because the display was well organized and structured. Good balance was almost always maintained from low to high level, and the wide range from left to right was frequently apparent - I found that the balance accomplished in the display was well done considering its scope and complexity.

Canada surely (and hopefully) will secure a space on the podium with a display of such splendor. The music selection was very enjoyable and stood out compared to the previously witnessed performances because it was emotionally-oriented and possessed meaning and representation - the display came across as being fervent with its overall delivery in emotional feel and by which the diversity of effects connected to each segment. Whenever I view a display, I am always keeping a watchful eye for a tasteful choice in music to correspond to the thematic premise, and if this bond is lost, the entire display can subsequently lose some of its vitality and it therefore becomes easier to lose interest, especially if the transitions are not well devised to begin with. The theme of the display, in my mind, was understood - this was not necessarily in a direct perspective, but that the feeling of the music employed brought out a sense of respect, honor and dignity, and this is how I interepreted the theme, "Heroes", as coming across as being relevant to the display. This also means that the music selections, again, had a great feel to them and, to me, reinforced the overall pace and idea behind the display and what it was attempting to convey. As Tyler stated, the Canadian display certainly went well beyond the ability to entertain - rather it additionally demonstrated that it was capable of satisfying the variety of standards and expectations previously set by spectators - whether it was that you adore active pieces, the ability to evoke emotions, a good thematic connection, variety in materials, or a strong finale, this display joins the ranks of those that are able to satisfy everyone while meeting the standards set forth by this prestigious competition.

All that said, this display was certainly not flawlessly executed (no display never is 100%, anyway, as Paul stated). There were a few points where things were, despite what I said above, not always kept in balance as I noticed that some cakes or shells not showing up when they should have. Secondly, although the Pink Panther segment was one of my personal favorited concocted pieces, it deviated from the regular flow of the rest of the soundtrack, and so I felt it had less of a relationship with the theme. Finally, as some already pointed out, some of the charcoal shells or nautical mines appeared a little on the dim side, perhaps due to the smoke. These are relatively minute criticisms that most definitely did not detract from the overall enjoyability of this intricate performance - this is really the only display that has not shown much signs of repetition.

Canada 2010 was a truly fascinating display to behold and, as such, was a real success that is surely in excellent standings for a prize this year. Not only was the show enticing in 2007, but this year's display by Fireworks Spectaculars also brought out a somewhat more thought-provoking component, which does reflect upon the complex nature of this performance. I sincerely hope to see Fireworks Spectaculars represent Canada in this competition in the years to come, for they have well established themselves as true masters in the art of designing high quality pyromusicals. It would be with great sadness if such magnificent work is gone unrecognized in not being awarded with a Jupiter this year.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 23:44:26   Edited by: Smoke

And here is some additional footage I took in between the display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He-lzewxoNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4qV5lcnBmg

Hi Vander,

Must be the wind direction but some of the ground fireworks looked like they produce a lot of smoke.

Indeed, many of the low level effects tended to produce copious amounts of smoke. Rapid smoke build up in general, however, was mostly attributed to the very high humidity present. Wind speeds were sufficient, but you often need greater speeds in order to accomodate for humidity levels that are at the higher end of the spectrum.

Hi Fred,

Last Saturday's forecast was actually one of the more tricky ones to examine because of the ongoing changing weather patterns elsewhere influencing the low pressure system. I noticed the raindrops being a little more pronounced during the last four minutes of the display as well, but I did meet with heavier rains on the way back to the West Island around 11:00 p.m. Winds later shifted from the WNW later in the overnight, indicative that the cold front had gone through.

Thank you also very much to both Pat and Tyler for your kind birthday wishes.

Edit: Note that severe weather is possible in Eastern Ontario and Southern Quebec later tomorrow afternoon and into the evening hours.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2010 23:54:26

Hey all,

Holy crap that was an insane display last Saturday. I really enjoyed the USA's display the previous week but the weather inhibited my photography; I was really unhappy at first because the colours were absolutely amazing, but I know that I could never fully capture them in a photograph anyway, and the intense and awe-inspiring display was really best watched in a rapturous trance, marvelling at the 12" shells and the noise, rumbling off into the distance (reflected off of the low clouds).

But the Canadian display was so well-structured and amazingly executed that I pick it for gold Jupiter right now; the Canadians used the firing area to their best advantage, and spread their palette of vivid colours across as much of the sky as possible, making obvious contrasts in mood that went along beautifully with the soundtrack. The Americans were more restrained in their approach to the firing site. They had the very best products and met everyones' expectations as to how an American show should look, but they did not exceed those expectations, forcing me to place them as #3, below Portugal at this point. Shows from the great USA always overwhelm, but as far as thematic creativity goes, Canada both overwhelmed AND took additional steps to ensure a captivated crowd, taken by surprise again and again by the variation of colours, patterns, effects and combinations of stringed pieces that were visually stimulating and perfectly synchronised. Sometimes it felt like the USA team were just sending up barrage after barrage, salutes and massive shells, without providing thematic context; a shame, it really was a powerful show, with the potential for so much more. The remaining contestants will remain unknown and unseen by me (live and in person) as I have moved back home to the Prairies; but they will have to be something truly special and captivating to even come close to Canada's near-perfect entry.

Here are some photos from the Canadian show, enjoy!

This is my favourite one...the colours are incredible and the timing of the effect is stunning.

I like how these shells sprayed stars in a kind of hourglass pattern, leaving the centre lateral area totally void.

Another poofy effect captured...doesn't look like much in a photo, but makes an interesting noise. Actually, the variety of noises in the Canadian display was such as I have never heard before. Very clever!

A friend of mine said this looks kind of like the female internal genitalia...fallopian tubes, ovaries, etc...I kind of see it, truthfully!

I'll see if I can find anything decent on the card I used for the USA show...there are probably 2-4 shots that might be good, that I took before the rain started and my gear went back into my bag.

Hope you enjoyed, and I will watch the members-only videos for the remaining shows; not the same, but I like to compare the shows, and watching videos of fireworks is not such a bad thing to do with free time. Cheers!

Posted: Jul 30, 2010 00:08:56   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your comments and beautiful photos once again (I particularly liked the second, fourth and last), and I look forward to reading your upcoming reviews with regards to the final two contestants once you've viewed the videos.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 31, 2010 18:54:36

Bonjour tout le monde,

Il ne reste qu'environ 5 heures à l'An 2010, alors je voulais finir l'année en beauté en écoutant ce qui est pour moi, l'événement pyrotechnique de 2010: La finale du Canada donnée par Fireworks Spectacular le 24 juillet! Une finale qui m'a fait vibrer au plus haut degré et que je n'oublierai jamais. J'espère revoir Fireworks Spectacular (Canada) ainsi que IPON S.R.L. (Italie) en 2011, ce qui pourrait donner une chaude et surexcitante lutte pour la meilleure prestation au niveau de la "finale".....ouf! J'espère que mon voeu se réalisera!

Je profite de l'occasion pour souhaiter à tous, une Année 2011 formidable!

Pierre

Posted: Dec 31, 2010 22:57:51

Hi Pierre,

It has been such a long time since we've seen you on the forum! Happy New Year to you, too!

I didn't think we'd see any of the 2010 display review topics appearing again, but it's really nice to see the previous posts from July. You're right to say that Canada 2010 had a breathtaking finale and will always live on as a memorable one - I hope to see more displays like Canada and Sweden 2010 in 2011 and the years to come. And yes, I hope for IPON SRL to (finally) return in 2011.

Best wishes,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.017