Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2015 Display Reviews —› England - Jubilee Fireworks reviews
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 18:21:57

Please post your reviews of England's display here!

Cheers,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 00:59:59

Fantastic show from debutantes Jubilee! More to come ...

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 03:14:39   Edited by: fredbastien

That was an excellent performance from the British recruit, now a serious contender for a Jupiter. The « Vive la différence » theme had an additional layer given the contrast with the opening night : Mother Nature was cooperative, the crowd filled the grandstands, and the show was fantastic. I would say the best British extravaganza since the Pains Fireworks’ one in 2007 (awarded by the Gold Jupiter, and which also featured a theme inspired by contrasts, Day and Night with the unforgettable Sun (see Bob's famous picture here with the sun setup here, for memories!)).

The day before the show, I was somewhat worried to read, in Paul's interview, that chief designer Andy Wiggins had an experience of the Montreal competition as a member of the Pyro 2000's crew, the entrant from England in 2011. And, as reported in Mylène's interview, he emphasized how challenging it is to design a 30-minute show instead of shorter ones, as he does for other events and competitions. In 2011, I specifically wrote in this forum, here, that Pyro 2000 used a limited range of products and patterns, which "were not numerous enough for a 30-minute pyromusical show". I added that the pyromusical design also needed to be improved, the show sometimes appearing to be just musics with fireworks. I'm happy to say that my fears were not justified!

First of all, the technical design really made the most of the firing area (while no nautical effects were fired tonight), with countless firing positions on all ramps, including horizontally-oriented sets of pieces at the top of poles on ramp 3 and around the 4th ramp (see blue circles on photographs below). One platform was added at each end of the 3rd ramp and a 5th ramp was created with five pontoons. They allowed several depth effects with simultaneous pieces (single or shaped fountains, strobes, angled mines, etc.) on ramps 3 and 5. The sky was quickly filled right at the beginning of the show and the finale was very intense, with successive bicolour barrages of shells and an ultimate multicolour barrage of shells with volleys of crackling pistils below, and a loud appearance of low-level hanging salutes (similar to those used in mascletas; see red circles below). Some sequences were especially wide, thanks to low-angled cakes shooting meteor-headed comets beyond both sides of the firing area.

The pyromusical design and synchronization were wonderful. Many people will remember the segment on the music of Uptown Funk made of note-synchronized mines, flames and gerbs, as well as other mines horizontally shot from the poles, and a surprising shoot of loud salutes from the “mascletas”-style devices (as pictured above). It was reported by Paul and Mylène that this segment, which last about 3 minutes 30 seconds, was performed with more than 1500 cues! I also suspect a high number of cues for another, shorter segment on the music of Holding On. During this 2-minute hypnotic part, the fast pace of electronic music was reflected by unbridled chases of mines, which were of various colours and angled shot from ramps 3 and 5.

I am afraid that many people have not seen the bright way to design hearts on Love Me Like You Do. In addition to the standard heart-shape shells, three sequences of vertically-launched red stars produced a heart, the highest points of each heart being shooted first. For those who want to retrieve this effect on video, the first sequence appears exactly 15 minutes 0 second after the beginning of the show, and each sequence last about 3 seconds.

The Uptown Funk segment, which ended at the mid-point of the show, was so intense that it caused me an unfortunate depressing, anti-climactic feeling, for about the third quarter of the display. I wonder to what extent the whole show would have been more effective with Uptown Funk as a penultimate segment, for instance. Or I am pretty sure that shortening the following song, Love Me Like You Do, would have helped. It featured too many candles after the magnificient Uptown Funk, which was based on single shots.

The show has also suffered of minor problems. First, a couple of effects (e.g., some flame devices) erupted at the wrong moments, but nothing to detract the audience from an excellent performance. (Two sequences of green meteor-headed comets from fan cakes even came into life long after the end, at 10:38pm and 10:48pm!) Second, Jubilee Fireworks decided to go ahead with a light theme, some future contestants may have a stronger storyline.

Overall, an excellent show. I would be very confident to see Jubilee Fireworks on the podium whether this show was the last one. However, the record indicates that early contestants are rarely among the winners. From 1992 to 2014, only 1 of 23 first in-competition displays (4.3%) won a Jupiter (see my 2014 predictions, here, for more comprehensive statistics on this issue). This year may be a second exception thanks to a shorter line-up of six contestants. However, other potential contenders for a Jupiter are coming up.

However, a VIP was missing tonight. Michel Lacroix, who host the ceremonies since the 1980s and who was at La Ronde again this year for the opening night, will apparently be back for the closing show only. It is a shame to not have a formal ceremony before each display. Fortunately, in contrast with the infamous 2002 edition (when he was also missing due to financial constraints), the organizers had the great idea to record various segments with him. While we didn’t see Michel Lacroix, we heard him to welcome the audience, to describe the theme right before the show, to pronounce the countdown, and then to celebrate the show ending and to say goodbye to the audience. The introduction of the crew was the only thing performed by another voice. The team members walk up on this stage, and the national anthem is played.

The only problem, which is easy to fix in my opinion, was that the “goodbye” words were in the same segment than the show ending announcement. It was anti-climactic: it is likely that the standing ovation would have been more sustained with a short break between them, as Michel Lacroix used to do live.

Furthermore, the second half of the Ferris Wheel lighting package is also reluctant to join the countdown. For a second night in a row, only the first half turned off at the right moment!

Fred

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 10:28:32

If you want to download the video file, right click on this URL and "save target as"

http://www.burchcom.com/2015/england.mp4

824 MB

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 19:06:15

Excellent show by the England team. New competitors sometimes either deliver a high quality show or don't, but this one definitely did. It was very well done, and had some interesting and exciting segments. Synchronization was very good, too. I wasn't a big fan of the soundtrack, but they did a good job with most songs. The finale was amazing! It's was the type of show that left you satisfied with a smile on your face.

Posted: Jul 5, 2015 22:14:24   Edited by: Smoke

I agree with everyone's comments for England's display, and I fully agree with Enkil and Fred about the finale!

I'll have more comments for the show soon, but I wanted to share my video compilation for this magnificent display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4jFt4RfylY

Trav.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 03:35:30

That was a nice show by Jubilee! Too bad it wasn't cleaner, they suffered from too much cross firing of effects which resulted to some segments looking like the modules stopped working. This is specially noticeable at the 2nd half of the display. Moreover, the general design was too chaotic and always had too much colors and effects going on at once. This could be nice for people who just loves seeing fireworks but for a competition, i expect something a bit more cleaner and sophisticated. One part where this layering of effects worked against them is when they had small roman candles in ramp 5 and had single shots in ramp 3 in a very nice shape but was covered by the roman candles in front. Their efforts in making sure all the angles are correct went to waste by covering the nice single shot pattern with roman candles. The stars of the show were definitely uptown funk and holding on. With the nice single shot sequences, i prefer the holding on segment though because the single shots really went with the music while in uptown funk... it looked like the single shots were struggling to keep up with the pace of the music. I agree that love me like you do could have been shortened, it got boring after a while. The finale song was really not my cup of tea and after seeing 4 jubilee shows in Manila, I could say that they've done much bigger finales in manila than the one they did in montreal. I was expecting a much much bigger finale from them.

Next is Parente! I wonder how many 360's they will be bringing

Best Regards,
Vander

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 11:58:20

The finale song was really not my cup of tea and after seeing 4 jubilee shows in Manila, I could say that they've done much bigger finales in manila than the one they did in montreal. I was expecting a much much bigger finale from them.

Wow, Vander, I can only imagine what those finales that you were referring to might have looked like! The one in Montreal was quite impressive, but now I wonder what could have been achieved!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 13:13:55

Hey Trav

You can check out my video of their show last 2013 in Manila. Finale song starts at 15:07, it is a bit like the finale they did in Montreal. https://youtu.be/3KfzIu97Q0M?t=15m7s

The year after they did it again but with 3 colors, unfortunately i wasn't present for that.

Best Regards,
Vander

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 20:42:14

Manila and Montreal is not compare. Manila is fire from boats with much open space. Montreal is fire in amusement park. Parameters are not the same. Teams can not fire same distance and angle. For me the finale is exceptionale. If too many the eyes cannot see. Teams can make many more shell detonations but if not fitting with mood and music then it is not desirable. The effect at finale is more important. The shells of the arc-en-! For me the finale is absolument perfection in this event. Design detail is inspire. Wings of the angels of Eurythmics. Horn of diable for pet shop boys. Uptown Funk tremendous intelligent with effect to lyric (blue flash police red flash fireman). The bombard after STOP - total adrenaline. Shell sound like rain at climax of November rain.... etc etc etc. Soundtrack is never suitable for every persons but soundtrack is reflection of the country and not just for the taste of one host. Mistakes in detonation yes but as always is the same for most complex shows. This theme and interpritation for me was most electric in many years. I find many effects I never see before. Yes other people can use 360 but it is not new effect. Shape of heart create from the single ignition - incroyable!! I look in the audience when Michael Jackson play and the people are with tears in their eyes. I see many intelligent shows to the beat of the music. First time I FEEL in my heart this way to see the fireworks to music. Ballad to bass - vive la différence!!!!!!!! Podium gold standard +++

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 05:25:52

I was not comparing the 2 competitions, but I always have very high expectations for Montreal shows.

Best Regards,
Vander

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 09:57:18

I also have the grand expectation. I watch for 6 years now this event. Never in those years did I hear the people make the noise level of appreciation of the England show. My family we did not expect this. Maybe you can have a display to fire 100% and be so precise as a watch made in Suisse but it would not I think have anything of the soul to this display. Sometimes the standard should not to be only angles and space but the interpretation to the music and how to make you feel also. I think it is danger to be too clean and too geometric. It can be like watching a simulation video. To watch for every mistake I think would make the fireworks not so enjoyable for me. But yes I understand it is to be marked to score. I watch the Manila video and yes it is very beautiful show. Team Jubilee was underestimate by many here. The products were so full with bright colours. It suit the theme. As you say the competitions is not compare. I am excited to see the remaining shows. I will be hoping that to be moved in my heart as much as this display but it may be difficult. To see Parente now I am looking forward.
David

Posted: Jul 7, 2015 11:33:04

I'm sure there will be a few more strong emotional shows to come this season.

Vander

Posted: Jul 8, 2015 14:06:39

Finally, my review: http://montreal-fireworks.com/ReportBlog/?p=1015

Definitely on the podium, so far - this is the one to beat!

Paul.

Posted: Jul 9, 2015 17:53:56   Edited by: Smoke

Comparatively warm conditions were present for the British display and to begin the 2015 fireworks competition, with mid- to late-evening temperatures of 22-23 C in the metropolitan area, overall light SSW winds of 10-12 km/h, cloudy periods, and borderline moderate-high humidity. Some brief periods of smoke accumulation occurred at low- to mid-levels of the display during the more active sections, but the winds were suitable enough to move the smoke gently to our left (clear to the right for those at La Ronde). This contrasts sharply to the windy, cool and damp conditions present for the opening display/Canada Day, and with winds blowing directly at the on-site audience. The difference in the number of spectators between the opening show and England’s display was evidently like day and night. Vive la Différence!

Overall, I thought that this was a fantastically executed and very enjoyable display, complemented by the beautiful weather conditions. The crowd waited anxiously for the display to begin, and it did forcefully at early-10:03 p.m. Similarly to posters above, I, too, had my doubts about the overall nature of this display, mostly due to this being a new representing firm! Clearly, things worked out very well, as this was surely a fabulously crafted performance held together by a clean pyromusical design.

There had been a wonderful array of rich and vibrant colors used to frame much of the display from low- to mid-altitudes, but I particularly thought that the colors had been effectively mingled often into a brilliant, yet clever mix, most evident during the finale and throughout the course of that segment, “Uptown Funk”. Repetition was largely kept at a minimum, and firing angles used throughout most of the show really made excellent use of the available space - indeed, the show had a wide angled appearance, as well as an ideal vertical depth while preserving great symmetry. The choice of effects were also generally well displayed with the musical selection, and I frequently got the sense that the fireworks were coordinating quite nicely with the intricate variations that characterized some of the soundtrack. One such instance was towards the end of that segment, “November Rain”, where the use of those mesmerizing crackling shells simulated the sound of a heavy rainfall. As a result, I found the synchronization and musical representation to typically be creative! At times, there seemed to be more of a simpler interplay of music and fireworks, but these were enveloped by sequences of more complex synchronization. One particularly memorable piece was when, as Fred noted above, those red stars formed a heart shape during “Love Me Like You Do”. At first, this was difficult to discern (especially from a distance), but with the next two repeated sequences, the actual shape became somewhat more apparent. The supportive heart shells really captivated the audience (as is usually the case) during this piece, leading to numerous cheers of delight. “Uptown Funk”, in my mind, demonstrated the most exemplary note-tight synchronization and complexity, especially with the colorful strobe lights and interesting firing angles at low-level with the candles and mines. Though no nautical effects were used in this display, the subtle firing angles relative to water level produced a similar result rather nicely in this segment. Ramp 5 was also effectively used during “Let in the Sun” and most notably “November Rain”. The finale was magnificent, fully showering spectators with overwhelming colors and strong intensity and endurance. The show itself was also leaning more on the active side, and included a multitude of massive chest-thumping shells overhead!

My criticisms are mostly minor, but I believe that my somewhat more significant negative point would be directed at the theme. Though it had previously been stated in Paul’s interview that there would be less emphasis placed on the thematic premise, I would have personally preferred to see a more tenacious theme, especially since it had that dichotomous nature. Such themes have worked incredibly well in the past and were quite successful, such as England 2007 and Italy 2011. Though England 2015’s theme focused more on a collection of opposing aspects (rather than just two primary opposing elements) within its theme, I am not sure that these differences were always made obvious. At first, the choice of music adhered remarkably well, as did the transitions in rhythm and pace to effectively deliver that more emotional component. For example, the display began with “There Must Be An Angel”, and this was followed by “It’s a Sin” for the second segment. Then, we saw “Let in the Sun”, which was appropriately followed by “November Rain”. After that, for me, the theme just fell flat, and I then felt that the song selection became more random. I was not a big fan of some of the songs altogether (my favorite was “It’s a Sin”), even though most were fairly enjoyable and clearly worked well with the fireworks, but, again, I was not sure how well some of these actually corresponded to the theme. Nevertheless, despite this, at least some portion of the show (its first section, in this case) was adhering closely to the theme. As others have stated above, I also thought that some soundtrack would have benefitted from editing. Personally, shortening some of the used songs would have perhaps assisted with the thematic framework by effectively making room to introduce more songs to help better reinforce the theme and, thus, produce those more emotional transitions.

All in all, a very successful and enthralling display by Jubilee Fireworks of England. The quality and vibrancy of the display really did satisfy many peoples’ tastes. Quite a strong contender for a Jupiter award this year, but there are still five competitors remaining! I hope to see more of this team in future editions of this competition!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021