Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› Pyromusical Design —› Turn the tables on me - Evaluate my show !
<< . 1 . 2 .
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 09:07:39   Edited by: STL

Thanks Travis !

The city is : Appleton, Wisconsin.

The show will be shot at the Wisconsin International Raceway (for smoke direction, if you go that far ) on Aug. 11th at around 9PM (Central Time).

EDIT : I don't want to rush you or anything, but I'm leaving Tuesday morning (at 7:20 AM to be precise) and I won't have my computer nor Internet access until I come back on Thursday night (I'll land in Montreal at midnight).

Therefore, if you write your forecast after Monday evening, I won't even be able to see it I know that it can be quite imprecise to do it 2 days in advance, so if you feel that your forecast won't be accurate enough, you're more than welcome to put your time elsewhere !

In all cases, I appreciate a lot that you proposed to do it ! Thanks !

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 22:42:15

Hi STL,

I know that it can be quite imprecise to do it 2 days in advance

Sometimes yes and other times no - it merely depends on the atmospheric setup, but usually it is the wind speeds that can be tricky to predict at a specifice time frame as well as the timing of frontal waves.

If it's two days in advance at the very latest, then I should be able to put together a decent overview in what to expect for the area. However, the models have not yet adequately simulated conditions as far as Wednesday, though I could provide some preliminaries by the end of the weekend. You did mention the risk of thunderstorms previously, and I can see why in current models. However, I will review the later progs as they become available and assess the timing of that low pressure system moving in from the West (this system could be playing some role here in Southern Quebec later on next week as well).

And again, it's no problem for the forecast as it is always a pleasure. Thank you for providing the precise location as to where the fireworks will be held. I'm sure it will be a fabulous display.

One question, but do you have a fair idea as to which direction relative to the raceway most spectators will congregate to watch the display?

Trav.

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 22:56:37

One question, but do you have a fair idea as to which direction relative to the raceway most spectators will congregate to watch the display?

I'll direct you to the PGI convention map : Right here

I'd estimate that people will be seaten at South-East and looking towards North-West judging from this plan.

I received this very interesting letter from Will Harvey, the CEO of Finale Fireworks:

Virtual Pyro Designs Big Show

Dear Finale Users,

For every professional who makes a living in the world of pyrotechnics, there must be 100 who participate in the industry in their spare time. For every one of those people, there must be 1000 who just dream of having the opportunity. I wanted to share a story with you about one such fireworks enthusiast.

This fellow is a student in electrical engineering in Montreal. He began doing fireworks photography in 2008, started writing reviews of shows, and eventually went to a display supervisor course last year. He's worked on crew a few times, and is working up the ranks from Apprentice to Supervisor Level.

Why am I telling you this? Well, this is the guy who won the virtual pyro choreography contest sponsored by Dominator Fireworks and Advanced Technique Fireworks, using Finale, and his show will be shot off in the real world next Wednesday night, August 10, at the PGI convention in Appleton, Wisconsin. The show, Build a Dream, will have 850 cues, 500 feet of frontage, and 33 launch positions. It is 100% Class C fireworks, but I think it has a chance at becoming one of the memorable events at the convention -- and this coming from someone who is not a professional choreographer!

So to the 100s and 1000s of fireworks enthusiasts, I just want to tip my hat and say, Cheers! I salute the contribution you all may have to the art of fireworks. We will publish a video of the actual show and the simulation side by side, so you can see what it is like when a simulation is translated to reality.

Will Harvey
CEO
Finale Fireworks

It appears that the event next week grew bigger that what I could expect when scripting my show. This letter was really heart-touching, I must say. I didn't see it that way; I was just having some fun with a simulation software !

Just wow ! I still have difficulty to believe it !

This must be the amazing story "Shrapnel" was referring to on the other forum...

Posted: Aug 6, 2010 23:15:14

Hi STL,

Many thanks for providing the plan for that site. I posed the question so that I can make an assessment as to where the smoke could be blowing relative to where most spectators are stationed.

Thanks again! Onto finalizing the conditions for France's display tomorrow evening, which, to be brief, look good, just a touch on the cool side.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 8, 2010 23:18:03

Congratulations, Simon, for this unexpected achievement. Have a safe trip to Wisconsin and enjoy the show! I'm looking forward to read your report and to watch the video as they will be available!

Fred

Posted: Aug 9, 2010 13:45:14

Hi STL,

I just released the weather information in the weather thread. Conditions may change a little in the models by tomorrow, but I don't think that they will deviate too much. If you require further details, please don't hesitate to notify me.

Once again, congratulations on your achievement, and have a wonderful trip!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 9, 2010 14:46:54

I just released the weather information in the weather thread.

Thank you very much ! I'll try to pack a rain coat, but I guess it'll be difficult, as I'm only bringing a camera bag (with some clothes packed where they fit) as my carry-on luggage and a tripod...

I'll try to go to a Wal-Mart or something if the weather really is threatening to get a cheap coat, which is better than coming back at the hotel completely soggy !

Thanks Fred and Travis for the good comments !

I'll film the display with a Canon T1i (SLR with video), and I tried it yesterday at the Grand Feu Bleu in Laval : I'm pleased to see that the video is awesome in quality !

Even if I was only shooting in 640x480 (I'll film my show in 720p, as it's short enough to fit on my memory card), the fireworks came out perfectly ! Though, due to being closer than I expected from the firing ramps, I used a too-long focal length, so the marvelous 12" that were used wound up being cropped badly (that is if they appear at all on the frame). I'll pack a selection of lenses to cover everything from 10 to 55mm in Appleton, so it should be enough to have a great view of my show !

Look out for my website, as I'll try to post my review, display and set-up pictures and the movie clip of the Grand Feu Bleu tonight, so you'll get a good idea of what I'll be bringing back from Appleton on Friday !

Now I need to pack my things up ! I'll be leaving Montreal while some of you will still be sleeping : my flight takes off at 7:20 AM, so I need to show up at the airport around 4:20 AM in case the security agents want me to put my tripod in the baggage hold when I'm at the security checkpoint. Ah well !

Posted: Aug 9, 2010 22:44:47   Edited by: STL

It's 10:40 PM. I just finished packing my stuff (and packing is not an oxymoron; wait for my travel report to see a picture of my travel bag !).

I'll now try to go to sleep, but alarm is set at 3:00 AM, so all in all I won't get more than 4 hours of sleep. Well, I'll try to take a nap on the plane if I'm not too busy checking outside the window (it's been 14 years since my last air travel and at that time I was wishing to become a pilot after the trip, just to see how I loved to fly back then !)

Thanks to everyone for the support (once again) ! I'm now headed to Appleton, Wisconsin to see my first ever pyromusical display to be shot !

Going dark (Internet-less) for three days. I'll keep you updated as soon as I'm back home and got some rest !

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 01:12:02   Edited by: Smoke

I'll try to pack a rain coat...

I very much recommend having the rain gear handy!

Have a great trip, STL.

Edit: Severe weather is also possible here in Southern Quebec today (Tuesday) from the mid afternoon into the early evening hours as a cold front from the NW is pushing into this very warm and sticky airmass.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 09:38:00

have a great pgi trip STL! i heard there's really good seminars to attend in pgi that would let you make some fireworks

Vander

Posted: Aug 11, 2010 15:02:56

I just read that the PGI convention site got flooded during a huge storm last night and all of tonight's shows have been postponed until tomorrow. I hope everything works out for STL's show!!

Trav: any light you can shed on this?

Paul.

Posted: Aug 11, 2010 16:37:59   Edited by: STL

I just read that the PGI convention site got flooded during a huge storm last night and all of tonight's shows have been postponed until tomorrow. I hope everything works out for STL's show!!

Fortunately, my show was in a trailer and therefore didn't suffer from the flood (but it came 1 inch close to be drowned though).

They are considering to postpone the show to tomorrow, but at this point the road that leads to the racetrack where the displays happen is cut as a bridge has collapsed.

As I planned to leave tomorrow, I'll have to move my flight to Friday...

At this point in time, they either consider postponing the shows or cancelling the PGI flat out, as they don't even have a firing site anymore. Therefore, I'm waiting for the final word from the organizers before I call my airline (and the hotel and the rental car company)...

EDIT : I'm passing the time as posing as a salesman for Finale Fireworks ! It appears that I'm quite good at it

Posted: Aug 11, 2010 23:01:04

Hi STL,

If your display is now scheduled to be fired for tomorrow (Thursday), you should be having a more stable atmosphere, though the very high humidity will continue to linger as an intensifying area of low pressure (the one I mentioned previously) moves in slowly from the West, circulating warm moist air from the South. Daytime highs, then, are expected to be hot at as much as 33 C, but feeling like the low 40s C. Convective showers and thunderstorms are possible mostly during the later overnight hours into the day Friday, where the risk for severe weather rises again. I wouldn't rule out the possibility for an isolated thunderstorm later in the evening as well. Winds should be favorable for the display from variably between the East-Southeast and Southeast, so the smoke should be moving in roughly the same direction as previously specified, though perhaps occasionally a touch more to your left this time. Speeds should continue to be light at 7-11 km/h. Most of the day tomorrow should remain dry with a few clusters of defined cumulus clouds due to increasing instability later on as well as persistent very high humidity.

I had a feeling that severe weather would erupt in a ubiquitous fashion in the state (as well as in Minnesota) simply because of, as mentioned previously, the abundant available energy present as well as a passing upper level disturbance, which stimulates instability. I often monitored radar for your area today and noticed that most of the storms stayed to your North and East towards Lake Michigan and the state of Michigan, and so you were left with often a few clouds (at times partly cloudy), very high humidity and temperatures reaching the high 20s C. Winds tended to be light and variable through the day, but at the forecasted SE direction by 9:00 p.m CDT at 6 km/h.

If you require any further information, I'll be happy to report it.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 13, 2010 10:52:33

Seems like STL's show was very much appreciated. From http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?24506-Appleton-PGI-co nvention&p=419389&viewfull=1#post419389

The Dominator show tonight was KICK ASS! I had seen the FINALE version many times and had most of it memorized and hoped the actual show was half as good. I have to tell you, it was like watching it on my computer with a 1000' monitor and super duper THX sound. The real thing was so close to the FINALE simulation it was scary. One little problem with the far right position but I doubt anyone in the crowd even noticed. Great job to to NEPYRO and all the gang that sweat their ball$ off out there and made this thing happen. Thanks to mattmattmatt, Shrapnel and DOMINATOR for some of the best product and support on the planet. Will at FINALE...I always new your software was fantastic. You proved it once again. And thanks to ATF for all the equipment.

Congratulations!

Paul.

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 08:43:40   Edited by: STL

As you may have guessed, I'm back since Saturday at 00:30.

Everything went perfectly well, except for the flood of course. The "Build a Dream" (that contained my segment) show material was safely piled in a van when the thunderstorm hit, so we have been able to shoot it the next day without a hitch.

I'm writing the report right now, but I'm afraid that it'll take a while, as I have a lot to say on my trip. At this point, I'm considering writing an English version too (and not just a summary), for you guys and for everyone I gave business cards to while in Appleton.

The video turned out great, so I'll be able to put it on my website shortly.

Do you know the better thing about the trip ? I've been in talks with Sisters Brand Fireworks, a brand new consumer grade product company, to design them a show fired on Sept. 11th at the National Fireworks Association convention in Springfield, Missouri. The bad thing though is that this show is part of a consumer grade (1.4G) competition, and I'll work against the Dominator crew. Ah well, I'll try my best to win anyway, as I'd love to be the winner of two design competitions in a row !

Posted: Aug 16, 2010 17:19:02

Here's the video on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/14182328

Great job!!!

Paul

Posted: Aug 19, 2010 21:58:19

Just a quick update : the French travel report and all the videos should be online tomorrow afternoon. The report is my biggest one so far, as it came just shy of 4200 words.

I'll see if I'm able to do an English translation, but the deadline for the Sister's Brand display is coming fast and I'll certainly need to shift my attention to that ASAP.

Posted: Aug 21, 2010 07:35:55

OK, finally ! The Appleton saga is now online for you to enjoy !

Among the included goodies is the hi-definition video of the display, but it's a long download so you may want to go get something to eat meanwhile.

The Build a Dream pages

Google-translated Travel Report
<< . 1 . 2 .

Page loading time (sec.): 0.026