Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› TV News : Some viewers afraid on Jacques-Cartier b
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 09:57:07

Local station of Radio-Canada had broadcast a report with footage from a viewer who saw the French display from the Jacques-Cartier bridge on Wednesday night. They were afraid by some devices which fell on the audience. The video actually shows one incandescent horsetail landing on the bridge.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/societe/2014/07/25/009-pyrotechni que-feux-etincelles-la-ronde.shtml

While I understand that some viewers were frighten, the issue seems to be inflated. It is reported that the police service, which patrols the bridge on fireworks night, had no report of this and policemen on duty have not seen anything of this. The video also shows a single horsetail on the bridge.

That scenario would have fit with the Fright Night theme of the American team!

Fred

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 10:18:16

I was just interviewed by CBC about this. I told them the danger is about the same as being bit by sparks from a charcoal BBQ. I was asked what precautions people should take and said that if you can smell the smoke, there's always a chance you will get something in your eye and it's best to wear glasses or sunglasses. I also stated there was no danger, with this type of shell, of the audience being set on fire. I also mentioned that the audience have a responsibility too - if you know you're going to go and watch fireworks, there's always the chance you will get ash and residue on your clothes so it's best to avoid wearing white, or anything else that you don't want to get spoiled. Finally, I mentioned that there are festivals in Spain where the audiences get sprayed by sparks from gerbs, but they enter into this situation willingly.

Paul

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 10:55:48

Posted: Jul 26, 2014 11:25:54   Edited by: Smoke

Thank you for sharing this, Fred and Paul.

This is why I had previously advised that the wind would very likely have some impact for those viewing on the bridge immediately adjacent to the firing site during the French display, even though the situation posed little to no danger. That wind direction (NNW), however, is comparatively rare (more so when coupled with breezy speeds), but it does tend to occur about once or twice per fireworks season.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 12:21:59

It turns out that this made Yahoo news, as well, although the title used for the headline is very misleading (as is frequently the case).

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023