Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Hotel with view on fireworks - Hotel avec vue sur
Last poster Message

Posted: May 16, 2004 14:56:01

Hi, I am looking for an hotel than we could see the Montreal's fireworks from inside the room. Thank you in advence,

Bonjour, je cherche un hotel où nous pourions voir les feux d'artifice de Montréal de l'intérieur de la chambre, merci à l'avance,

Literati

Posted: May 16, 2004 18:25:09

You do have to be in LaRonde to Smell the Smoke, feel the Burning Embers and the Heat and to feel the Chest Thumper salutes.

You might look at this sight: http://www.sandmanhotels.com/hotels/quebec/montreal.asp
When we have stayed there in the past, it was a Radisson Hotel and, if you ate in their dining room, you could go on the roof for the shoot. This hotel is next door to the Metro (subway) on the south shore.

My wife and I will be as close as possible on July 14th and 17th. Rain, sun, snow, hell or high water will keep us away.

Happy anniversary to Montreal's fireworks and never endibg thaks to Paul Marriott for keeping the world informed and interested in the Montreal competetion. Keep your pencil sharp Paul. Also, congratulations to Frédérick. Best of luck to all judges and contestants.

I can hardly wait until Paul's first report.

Iowa Tom

[/b][b][u][/u]

Posted: May 16, 2004 18:30:57

Well, I meant wild horses could not keep us away.

And_____ never endibg thaks should have been never ending thanks

Merci

Iowa Tom

Posted: May 17, 2004 06:39:37   Edited by: Smoke

They're plenty of hotels where you can see the fireworks, I'm sure.

As Iowa Tom said, there's the Radisson hotel at the South Shore. They're also plenty in downtown, where you can see the displays at a distance from some of them.

However, I'm not 100% sure of how close these particular hotels are to the fireworks area, but they're plenty of hotels for viewing the displays, none the less.

The only disadvantage of your choice of viewing, is that you'll be further away, and thus, you won't feel the actual noise or see the greatest views, like where the majority of people go. Closer is much better. It's much more exciting. That's just me, though.

Anyways, if you're looking for a hotel, you can try the Radisson hotel in the South Shore or even the Sheraton, in downtown. These are probably the closest, in my opinion.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 17, 2004 08:55:45   Edited by: Smoke

Oh yes, I almost forgot.

They're also some closer hotels that you'll find on both Sherbrooke and Rene-Levesque. I'm not too sure how close, though, but, that could be your best bet. The Radisson hotel in the South Shore could be ok, however, it's at a slightly greater distance from a viewing perspective. The link posted by Iowa above offers the "Sandman Hotel," which looks like another great preference for watching.

So basically, you've got many choices.

Trav.

Posted: May 17, 2004 09:10:12

Trav and Literati,

As near as I can tell from Iowa, the Hotel Radisson-Longueuil is now the Sandman Hotel Montreal-Longueuil.

Again the Sandman website is:
http://www.sandmanhotels.com/hotels/quebec/montreal.asp

Smell the smoke
Iowa Tom

Posted: May 17, 2004 09:18:41

Literati,

Again, what was the Radisson-Longueuil that is now the Sandman did offer roof top viewing two years ago. You might check with them.

When I told my wife you you wanted to watch from inside a hotel room, her first comment was: "They might as well stay home."

Posted: May 17, 2004 09:23:12

I didn't know that it's now called the Sandman Hotel. My mistake. I thought that the Radisson and Sandman were two different hotels.

So yes, this is a good choice, Literati, as well as some of my other recommendations mentioned in the previous post.

Anyways, I've been watching the fireworks competition since 1990 from the Notre-Dame and Lorimier intersection streets, where a lot of people are. It's a nice view there, in my 14-15 years experience.

Iowa Tom, where do you watch the displays from?

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 17, 2004 13:33:05

Trav,

Oh boy, I'm glad you asked! Since we live in the USA - Iowa, we don't get to Montreal often. This will be our 4th time of coming to Montreal (Thanks to Paul for his journals on the PML.) and this July will be the first time we've stayed for two shoots. We want to be close enough to see, feel and hear everthing. So, we buy the closest seats in the silver section in the park. The only disadvantage would be if the wind is from the wrong direction.

Note to Literati, I should not have repeated my wife's remarks. I apologize. It was unkind of me. I'm sure you have good reason to stay in your room.

Light 'em up!! Come on July!

Iowa Tom

Posted: May 17, 2004 14:13:54   Edited by: Smoke

Iowa Tom,

I hope you'll also get to see the final display of the 20th anniversary, meaning the Panzera closing show.

If you come, you'll see the shots for the winners and plus, you'll also see which firm gets the honour of receiving the Platinum Jupiter, which is the first time this grand award has been presented.

I really hope that your wife and yourself get to see that particular one. It's something you don't want to miss.

I've told you how long I've been attending the competition, for roughly 14-15 years, and from my experience, it's always pretty much intense.

Anyways, if you're watching the displays from La Ronde in the Silver Section, you should get to see and feel plenty. I watch the fireworks from the opposite of where La Ronde is. On the other side of the river on Lorimier. I also see plenty there.

BTW, the finale is presented on July 28th.

As a final remark, I would strongly encourage you to become a member of this forum. I'm sure that Paul would agree with me, as he also welcomes new members, not to mention everyone else here.

Enjoy the displays and the great attractions Montreal has to offer.

Trav.

Posted: May 17, 2004 18:53:25

Trav,

Thanks for the advice and information. As for being a member of this forum, I believe I already am. I've had a password since shortly after the forum started. In the past I've just been a reader of it. And, I'll go back now and hide in the background until someone asks where to watch from. Then I'll state my opinion.

Fireworks is a wonderful craft. My wife and a have spent lots of time and money watching our hobby. We are always looking for something new. I can't begin to imagine what advances will happen in the next fifty years or so.

Again, our thanks to Paul Marriott for telling the entire world about Montreal and maintaining this website.

Iowa Tom

Posted: May 18, 2004 05:54:51

I can understand that some people would prefer to see the fireworks displays from the room of an hotel... But, basically, I am convinced that if you are making a trip to Montreal, you should move to La Ronde for the fireworks. The tickets for Silver section are not so expensive, especially if you enjoy the other attractions of La Ronde (40 rides, spectacular diving show, often interesting singers show, good food at Le Régal de l'Asie...) during the day. To see a fireworks performance from La Ronde is a great experience, better than any other point of view. Many people have said to me that they had never seen any fireworks displays like those of Montreal International Fireworks Contest.

Posted: May 18, 2004 06:17:05   Edited by: Smoke

Yes, you're right. Paul does keep everyone informed, and we're more than happy of him to provide us with an informative and descriptive forum, not to mention we get to here alot of people's comments.

Frederick is also right. We do have some of the best attractions. Particularly La Ronde. As Frederick said, we've got lots of rides and splendid state of the art shows. I also agree with Frederick about the tickets for the Silver Section. They really aren't that expensive, as you may think. It's worth it, believe me. I've been there. And, personally, it's much nicer to stay close to the fireworks displays, rather than from a distance.

The Montreal International Fireworks Competition is the biggest and most popular of its kind and we really are very honoured to have such an event. We really are lucky to view this competition!

As for the next 50 years or so, you're right. I'm more than 100% sure that there will be big advances that will incorporated to the art and technique of pyrotechnics and therefore, advanced fireworks. Who knows what the future will hold for fireworks. I think I'm starting to get ahead of myself!

Anyways, I'm glad that you and your wife share the common passion for fireworks and the art of pyrotechnics, just as all the enthusiasts on this forum do. It really is a fascination. I loved fireworks since I was 5 years old and had gotten addicted to it since then. We go way back!

The only thing we have to worry about is, obviously, the weather. I hope it doesn' t turn foul when you guys get here. Well, I doubt it will. Once again, as Frederick and myself say, we do consider, and the fact that it is, to be the best fireworks competition in the world.

Anyways, as for you being a member, are you an official registered user? If you are, then all the posts you do will count towards your standard individual statistics on the forum. Under your name, it should say "Member," after you have registered. If it doesn't say that, then the system will consider you as anonymous.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 19, 2004 22:00:50

Thank you for allll your answers!!

Of course I would love smell the smoke but the reason is than it will be my 6 years old's son anniversary and I want a place as secure as possible. I would not like to make my little love smell other smoke than fireworks's one! I saw a bad experiance for a young family few years ago and I would not like to see it appends to me, now I have my own family.

I didn't read all your answer yet but I'll do it wright now.

thank you again and I hope my poor english is readable...

Literati.

Posted: May 20, 2004 06:28:16

That's very cute and sweet, Literati.

I can understand your precautionary measures and why you take it into consideration. That's perfectly fine. As long as you enjoy the displays.

I would recommend to come watch the fireworks where I stand, which is on Lorimier and Notre-Dame intersection. It's perfectly safe and you're barely exposed to the smoke and plus, you're still at a relatively good distance from the actual display and can see pretty much everything.

However, it's totally up to you. I'm not forcing you at all. If you still feel unsafe and want to take precaution, then do so.

And yes, I do agree with you about some families with some negative experiences. Since I've been coming to the competition since 1990, I' ve seen several cases where people do somewhat complain because of smoke or other relevant situations. It does happen sometimes, but I don't want that to discourage you.

Anyways, I want you to enjoy the fireworks to the best of your ability with your family and please wish your son a happy birthday (or anniversary) and give him my best regards. It also happens that my birthday falls on a display this year! (July 21st)

Enjoy,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.023