Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Pyrotechnic Chemistry.
Last poster Message

Posted: May 17, 2004 10:29:35

As much as I have a fascination in the art, creativity and chemistry of pyrotechnics, I wanted to know how many different kinds and types of chemical materials are used to make the wide variety and selection in the art of fireworks.

To make the question more specific, does anyone know the approximate or estimated number of chemicals and compounds that are used in the field of pyrotechnics? It's a curious and interesting question.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 21, 2004 08:13:10

Trav,

it's good to hear that you're interested in the chemistry of pyrotechnics. There are quite a lot of chemicals and compounds used, but they can be grouped into several main categories:

o Oxidizers
o Fuels
o Binders
o Spark producers
o Flame colouring agents

Other chemicals are used as stabilizers and burn-rate modifiers but the above gives the general idea.

If you're really interested, there are some good books available on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0913022004/qid=108515219 0/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/103-6711260-2808660?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

This is Tenny Davis's classic "Chemistry of Powder and Explosives".

The "bible", though is the Reverand Ronald Lancaster's "Fireworks Principles and Practice"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0820603546/qid=108515230 8/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-6711260-2808660?v=glance&s=books

Remember, though, that neither of these books are "recipe" books. There's a lot more to making fireworks than just knowing the ingredient list.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Posted: May 21, 2004 10:11:38   Edited by: Smoke

Yes, thanks for the help, Paul. I appreciate the information. I can really tell the wide range of chemicals and compounds that are used in pyrotechnics and I know the making of fireworks is much more than just the basic "ingredients". There's more than meets the eye!

Anyways, I'm well aware that you were saying something about some harmful and dangerous effects of the use of the strontium nitrate and strontium chloride compounds because of their hygroscopic properties. You had also mentioned that it was the stars containing the strontium nitrate compound that ignited the fire accident in the truck in Calgary because it absorbed a lot of moisture and reacted with the presence of magnesium, in addition to giving off enough heat at the time, which reacted with the magnesium, and thus causing the stars to set fire.

Well, one can conclude that these compounds are not used anymore in pyrotechnics, or maybe much more rarely used. Another conclusion is to be well aware of some of these compounds' capabilities. Well, most likely these compounds are illegal, I think.

Paul, do you know of any other chemicals and compounds that can be harmful in pyrotechnics, regardless of excessive moisture absorption properties? I know most of them would be illegal for use in the field of fireworks.

Well, despite all the theory, pyrotechnic chemistry is definitely a very complex and fascinating area of study.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: May 21, 2004 12:46:13

Trav,

I didn't say strontium nitrate was illegal, nor that it heated up. It does absorb water, but it was the magnesium that reacted with the water to create heat and hydrogen gas - this was the problem.

Different jurisdictions have different rules as to what combinations of chemicals are legal are otherwise, but it does depend on the context. For example, in the U.K. (where I am originally from) mixtures containing potassium chlorate and sulphur are not permitted in fireworks at all due to the many accidents that have been attributed to this mixture in the past. However, potassium chlorate is used in both safety and strike-anywhere matches without any problems. In very general terms, anything that can absorb water can cause unexpected problems though there are procedures used to circumvent these situations. Some places also ban toxic chemicals like lead and arsenic, though these are still used in certain fireworks. Even chemicals which are not illegal can still be hazardous to the workers who use them, though the enivronmental exposure received by an audience is so small that it is not a concern. Really, you're more likely to breath in toxic chemicals on the way to the display and standing around waiting than you are during the display - especially if you're unfortunate enough to be stood next to a cigarette smoker!

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: May 22, 2004 08:44:26   Edited by: Smoke

Paul,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I mixed up and got confused with what gave off the ignition of heat. I confused that by saying that the strontium nitrate heated up, when I should've said that it was the reaction of the magnesium to the water that gave it off. My mistake.

As for what's legal and what's not, you're right. Different jurisdictions have different regulations and are usually put into consideration for relevant purposes. And yes, compounds and chemicals that can absorb water can create potential problems, but as you say, they're alternatives to deal with these scenarios. I particularly agree with you on the fact that some chemicals may be legal, but can be harmful or dangerous to the people using them.

I also heavily agree about the small concern in relation to fireworks in environmental effects to the public. We are constantly exposed to the harmful effects of different emissions everyday of our lives, especially in the summer, where we're persistently exposed to smog, ground level ozone and other particulates and emissions. As you say, the environmental effects to the public are not a major cause for concern, and yes, I do agree, that the fact that we have a greater chance of being exposed to other chemicals in the atmosphere by the time we actually get to the display, not to mention the time we wait for the display. As I noted above, we are heavily exposed to these toxic chemicals, and by the time the display is ready, we will have intaked a great quantity of some of these materials, which is nothing compared to the relatively small portion of chemical exposure from the fireworks themselves, which is why it's not a main concern. It's a big difference. That's a fact! So, in essence, I guess it's not a big deal in what we breath in during the presence of the displays. You're right.

BTW, Paul, I've had several unfortunate experiences with a smoker. The ironic thing is that I have a good place to watch the displays, then about five minutes before the count down, one surprisingly shows up! Has this happened to you? I hate it when that happens!

Anyways, the competiton begins in exactly 3 weeks from now. I can hardly wait! You'd be surprised the amount of enthusiasm I've got right now! I mean just the other day was August 2003!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 1, 2004 00:58:52

I have been manufacturing display pyrotechnics for over 35 years and have used on occasions many toxic chemicals. Copper arsenate. Lead and mercury compounds. It is of interest to me that when burning non arsenic blues. If you are standing down wind just how much metalic taste develops in your throat after a little exposure to the resultant smoke. This resulting from absorbtion of a little of the copper present in the smoke.
Having just made a large number of barium chlorate and titanium comets for a display later in the year, I am concerned at the amount of barium that will be present in the smoke. I feel that this could present a health hazard. Though as they are aerial the barium is quickly dissipated to a low concentration. I still feel that exposure to pyrotechnic smoke could definitly present a problem nowdays as the extensive use of colour is a major ingredient in most displays.
Regards
Ray Ansin
http://www.glassbeads.co.nz open the alchemy page.

Posted: Jun 3, 2004 12:41:16   Edited by: Smoke

Ray,

I'm glad to see that you're concerned with the potential health problems that could affect people with these chemicals and compounds. But remember, this has more of an effect on the people that are constantly exposed to them and who are using them, in general. As noted in the Paul's post above, the audience that watches the displays will have intaked a great quantity of other chemical particulates and emissions in the atmosphere by the time they actually arrive at the display! This is true!

In comparisson, the actual display is, in fact, a small concern in relevance to health issues. However, most pyrotechnical toxic chemicals themselves are a greater threat to the producers and other workers using them for a given period of time.

Despite heath situtations in realtion to fireworks chemicals, I find it interesting to know that the amount of barium in smoke, when aerial, dissapates rather quickly. I heard that barium has a big impact on health, but it's good to know that it gets a lower concentration while airborn, since it can be hazardous.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 6, 2004 18:31:50

I don't know it is allowed to put the chemical composition here.
chemical composition:
Potassium Benzoate
Lac
Sodium Oxalate
Potassium Perchlorate
Al+Mg Alloy
Sulfur
Pheny-Hexachloride
Antimonic Sulfide
Potassium Chlorate
Al
Carbon
Resinox
Srrontium Carbonate
Iron--Fe
Batium Nitrate
Potasstum Nitrate
Copper Oxide
Polyvinyl Chloride
Titanium

Tony

Posted: Jun 6, 2004 19:17:12

Tony,

That's quite a wide range of chemicals and compounds used in the field of pyrotechnics. Many of these elements can be very toxic, especially barium and sulfur oxides. However, a lot of these chemicals are responsible for the different shapes and colours in fireworks. I'm sure they're many other chemicals that are used. Some of these chemicals only require a small quantity to create the necessary effects, while others are used in larger quantities.

As I was saying before, a lot of chemicals involved can be hazardous to the workers in the firms using and producing them. Also, as Ray said, barium quickly dissapates to a lower concentration when aerial, so it is not a big concern to the public exposed to it.

Indeed, pyrotechnic chemistry is definitely a complex and fascinating subject!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 8, 2004 10:42:29

hello!!!!
we are french students and we make a memoir about fireworks and we are specialized in chemistry.. but your website is giant!!

thank you!!

anne-laure and capucine

Posted: Jun 8, 2004 17:12:39

Anne-Laure and Capucine,

I'm happy to hear that you guys specialize in chemistry. I would be happy to hear more of your background in this field in relation to pyrotechnics.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 29, 2005 05:23:37

Hi
I have a problem that I would like to have some help with.

What is Batium Nitrate and what is the kemical description.
I'm trying to import pyrotechnics from China and the regulations requir that I can answer this. I have got the description KNO3 for Batium Nitrate but to me that is Potassium Nitrate.

Regards

Anders Skoglund

Posted: Jun 29, 2005 05:33:30

Dear Anders,

Batium Nitrate does not exist, this is probably a typo. I guess they meant "Barium Nitrate". This is a coloring agent. It is a well known fact that most chemical composition sheets coming from China are filled with errors. You'd better find a good chemist that can go over their numbers before you get too far ahead in the importing process. You can loose your shirt paying for the governemnt lab fees only to realise later that the numbers you were given were wrong from the start....

I guess from you name that you are from scandinavia, most EU countries will accept homologations done in other EU countries. My advice to you would be to go with a manufacturer that already has some sort of homologation in Europe. This would speed up the process and ensure that the info is correct.

Posted: Jun 29, 2005 06:13:10

Thanks for the quick replay.
The pyrotechnics is a Golden sparklers so we don't talk about rocket sience. Barium Nitrate is it possible an coloring agent for "Golden"?

Regards
Anders Skoglund
Ps Your guess was right, it's Sweden.

Posted: Sep 4, 2005 07:27:29

no barium nitrate create a green flame.for gold flame is a mixture of black powder with iron or steel metal also charcoal black powder
create gold sparks.for more information go on this site:

http://come.to/pfp

this site is a really big list of pyro formula

jérome

Posted: Sep 5, 2005 08:15:42

I will find the recipe for gold-metallic stars
-13 % potassium nitrate
-55 % barium nitrate
-21 % aluminium,dark pyro
-4 % sulfur
-1 % boric acid
-6 % dextrin
and mix with water and mould in ball and let's dry for 24 hours
this is only ix are used barium nitrate for golds stars

Posted: Oct 25, 2005 06:59:33

cool!

Posted: Nov 8, 2005 10:56:23

dear trav

I am 10 and dont know much about pyrotecnics can you tell me more about it. do i need to go to uneversity. im in love with sience and pyrotecnics

Posted: Nov 8, 2005 12:06:43

hey connor is jerome and trav is my friend .trav and me know pyrotechnic.tell the question at me or trav or firework forum etc.

jérome

Posted: Nov 9, 2005 08:40:50

can you tell me about all the cemicals you know?

Posted: Nov 9, 2005 11:54:06

oh is a big list I present a basic list of chemical:
-potassium nitrate
-sulfur
-charcoal
-sugar
-strontium nitrate
-baryum nitrate
-copper nitrate
-potassium chlorate
-potassium perchlorate
-potassium permanganate

etc

jérome

Posted: Nov 10, 2005 10:19:22

hey jerome
is connor whats the simpilest rocket propellent? and how do you use it?

Posted: Nov 10, 2005 12:04:24

yes recipe of potassium nitrate and epoxy glue
or for more info about this propellant tcheck this site:
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/knepoxy.html

jérome

Posted: Nov 12, 2005 04:55:52

or kno3/sugar rocket is the best for the beginer

Page loading time (sec.): 0.014