Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Good vantage points for taking photos
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 5, 2004 08:08:33

I'm new to Montreal, and am looking forward to seeing some of the fireworks displays this summer. I'm a photographer, and wish to take photos too. My question is, where are some of the best spots to view and photograph the shows? Can I bring my photo gear and tripod into La Ronde, or are the better (free) places to take photos from?

Thanks,
Dennis

Posted: Jun 5, 2004 09:32:52   Edited by: Smoke

Dennis,

In my experience of viewing the fireworks, I know many people that take photographs where I stand, which is on Notre-Dame and Lorimier intersection. This is located just on the opposite side of the river of where La Ronde is. You really can't miss it. There's A LOT of people who go there. Also, I knew a photographer who used to stand at an even better place, which is all the way up by the steel gate on Notre-Dame, back in the late 1990s( I stood there for almost 10 years!) He was always saying that you can get really nice shots in that spot. This is true, from my viewing experience, back then. Anyways, if you're really looking for a nice spot, you can go right there by the steel gate on Notre-Dame. The only problem is that you'll have to go early to get there. Believe me, it gets very packed and hectic in that area rather quickly, since I've been going there in the past.

If your the type that doesn't want to wait so long or go early, then your best bet is La Ronde. I'm almost more than certain that you can bring a tripod for your camera. The guys who take the pictures for Paul, which are posted on this site, use a tripod, for sure.

Paul has far more experience than I do at viewing from La Ronde. He would know what you should do. In my personal opinion, both spots, that I recommended, are very nice to take photos, not to mention excellent viewing areas. Where I stand, you really can watch for free, unless you come too late when all the roads are closed at around 8:00 P.M. In this case, you'll have to pay for parking, providing you're going by car. Also, like I said before, you would want to come early to get a nice spot at Notre-Dame to take snapshots, but during the display, it can get crowded, but you'll have time to get a nice spot by the gate by then.

Remember, try not to waste too much time taking pictures, though. If this is your first time at Montreal, then I rather you enjoy the fireworks displays to the fullest. This is the biggest fireworks competition of its kind, after all. This is also a very special year, so you're just in time!

BTW, if you'd like, you can post some of your own pictures on this site. I think that would be neat. It would be nice to have some additional pictures!

Enjoy,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 7, 2004 07:24:25

Thanks for the good tips. Since I will be here all summer, I probably won't bring my camera gear the first time, so I can enjoy the show with both eyes! Hopefully the weather cooperates,

Dennis

Posted: Jun 7, 2004 08:05:16

Dennis,

That's good to hear. Try to enjoy it to the fullest, while you're here. Also, try to take advantage of the other festivities that are occuring in Montreal this Summer.

Anyways, have you decided on where you want to view? Are you going to watch from Notre-Dame or La Ronde?

Unfortunately, the weather is still not cooperating for Saturday, but that could still very well change! Don't let it discourage you.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 8, 2004 22:23:10

I think I'll try my luck from Notre Dame. I might splurge and pay the $$ for La Ronde once, but for now, I'll try my luck with the cheaper alternative! Thanks for your help,

Dennis

Posted: Jun 9, 2004 04:56:56   Edited by: Smoke

Dennis,

I'm glad you chose Notre-Dame. In my opinion, it's one of the best spots where a load of people go. I'm talking from years of experience! Make sure, though, that you get a spot by the steel gate way up front, if you want to benefit the most. You can't miss it. You would probably have to go a little earlier, since it's a popular spot.

Also, I would recommend you to La Ronde. It's not as expensive as you may think. Even in the Silver Section at La Ronde, you can get reasonable prices for excellent seats and from a viewing perspective!

Anyways, you know how to get to Notre-Dame, right? If not, I'd be happy to give you detailed directions. I'm presently right on Lorimier intersecting with Notre-Dame, which is just off Rene-Levesque and perpendicular to Notre-Dame.

I used to watch from Notre-Dame for over a decade and still do, sometimes, but not as often, due to the fact that my family complains about it being cooler by th water. Anyways, I can guaratee that you won't be dissapointed! I promise!

Once again, Dennis, I would really appreciate if you conisder joining this forum, rather than posting anonymously. It would be nice to have a photographer here! I'm sure Paul would agree with me!

Enjoy Saturday and the rest of the competition!

Trav.

Posted: Jun 10, 2004 15:10:50

I've got a pretty good idea of where you're talking about. It appears to be (from looking at a map) right by the Papineau Metro, close to the foot of the Jacques-Cartier bridge. In case all of the good spots at De Lorimier and Notre Dame are taken, is it possible to get a clear view from the bridge? Which side would be better, the north or the south?

You've suggested that I go early -- are you talking 6:00, or closer to 8:00? Sorry for all the questions -- I'm sure that this will all make sense once I actually get there.

Thanks so much,
Dennis

Posted: Jun 10, 2004 15:58:52   Edited by: Smoke

Dennis,

Don't worry about asking too many questions! It's your first time to Montreal, so I suppose that it's normal.

Anyways, I really wouldn't worry much about spots getting taken on De Lorimier and Notre-Dame much, as long as you don't come too late. Believe me, there's plenty of room! It usually gets very packed around after 9:00-9:30.

I also think that you should avoid the bridge for several reasons. First of all, when I went up there one time, I had a problem with smoke constantly blowing towards the bridge's side often, especially around where the river is. The wind was the main factor. Now and then, I observed in recent years that smoke usually blows towards the where the bridge goes over the water. Also, it can get quite crowded and packed rather quickly up there. Finally, it's a long walk back down the bridge, depending where you are. As a final note, I'm not saying it's a bad viewing area, it's a great spot, in fact, but it can be tedious sometimes. That's just me though. It's just a matter on personal experiences and opinions. I know a lot of people who love the bridge, while others dislike it. If you are to consider watching there, I suggest you try to avoid more where the bridge is right over the river. That's the spot to get smoke in your face. To simply answer your question, yes you can get a clear view on the bridge, however, once again, you should go early. I've only been on the northern side of the bridge, and it was a very nice view, despite the smoke. I would think the same for the southern side, as well. They're both nice, in their own unique perspectives.

It was unfortunate for me because the smoke was going more on the northern side when I was there. I don't want that to discourage you, though. Just avoid the central area (where the river is). This is only if you want to go on the bridge, however.

As for the time you should go to get a nice view on Notre-Dame, I would suggest to get there no later than 8:00-8:15, because it starts to get packed around the steel gate after that. Just to be safe, try to get there for roughly 8:00. Please don't go for 6:00, that's way too long to wait. And yes, you're right, Notre Dame is just on the foot of the bridge. Also, the police start closing roads at roughly 8:00.

If you'd like, after the opening show, you can give me some feedback on how your viewing of the display went. I just want to know if you liked it. I'm positive that you will, though.

I'm also pleased that you've decided to join the forum! So, enjoy the show!

If you need further information, please don't hesitate to contact me or anyone else here.

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021