Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Anyone Recording The Finales? Anyone?
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 8, 2004 15:20:03

is anyone interested recording the final few minutes with a video and put it on computer, (asf, mpg, avi, etc)? not necessary the final, maybe an interessing part of the show?

i believe this should be done outside of La Ronde, that way i think its more safe to record, cuz the sky is free (to record :biglol well i believe

ryantyme once told me would, but in case theres someone who wants to do this... or not ill contact him and see what happens

Posted: Jun 8, 2004 17:19:56

I really wouldn't mind at all. It would be nice to record them, providing you have permission to do it, but I think it should be relatively safe.

One question, though. Do you have the clips for posting for download purposes, or do you have another alternative to do it?

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 9, 2004 10:10:16

all i need would be someone who records it with a video camera, and rip it on the computer and then sent it to me

i will post it somewhere on the internet so ppl can download, becuz most of the time ppl need space to upload, but i can do something

althro im starting to worry if its safe, maybe i should email mondialsaq.com first

Posted: Jun 9, 2004 10:33:07

As far as I understand, there are no copyright issues with recording a public fireworks display. It's not like anyone owns the air that the display is fired into! Same thing for taking photographs. The only issue would be selling copies of any videos taken due to the performance rights issues of the music used.

If any of the videos are good, I can host them on this site. For anyone who is contemplating videoing the displays, make sure your autofocus is turned off and set the focus manually for close to infinity. You may also want to manually set the aperture as well, remembering to open up the lens for the dimmer weeping willow kind of shells. A tripod is also essential!

Finally, rip it into mpeg format (divx if possible) rather then wmv or quicktime so that it is viewable to the widest audience since not everyone uses Windows Media format.

Good luck with the recording to anyone who does it.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 9, 2004 11:12:51

Paul and Enkil,

I'm interested in doing this and I think it's a great idea to keep in mind!

It would be nice to get them posted on this site for download, like we did for the video clips in 2003. And yes, you're right, there's nothing wrong in recording the clips, as long as we don't sell it. So, in essence, it's relatively safe to do this kind of thing.

Just one question, is it alright to use the "Real One" media player format? I'm sure it is.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 9, 2004 12:53:04

Actually, I'd prefer mpeg or divx since the quality is higher than RealOne - the video clips that I posted on this site (which I used in my presentation in Valencia) are in mpeg format.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Jun 9, 2004 12:59:29

Ok, that's fine. I happen to have both of these media players, so it should work out nicely.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 21, 2004 10:55:09

Just to chime in, I record fireworks semi-professionally. I
do DVDs for the PGI convention and Western Winter Blast.
I have some significant experience tweaking codecs like
Real, MPEG and Windows Media to make good fireworks movies.

I would be happy to encode video and host it IF someone would record it. My fireworks recording rig takes up 3 suitcases and two backpacks and I live 2,300 miles away from Montreal. I thought about making a trip to record those but it would be a lot of time to take off my day job. A year or two back I asked Paul if he knew of anyone who was recording the shows but there weren't any people free.

If anyone has a 3-CCD camera like a DCR-VX2000 or a TRV-900 or something better they could leave a message for me on my website at www.secac.com.

Posted: Jun 27, 2004 05:50:42   Edited by: Lars

I visited Montreal last year and recorded 20 second filmclips with my Canon Ixus 300 (still photo camera), which i must say do not give a great total impression of the shows, but just fractions from the different sequenses

Therefore i have purchased a DV-camera and will record the shows i see in Montreal this year... Though it won't be as good a quality as freakpyromaniacs.com's it's still acceptable i think, after having seen some examples

If there are no legal barriers i'd like to share these... I just don't have sufficient webspace - anyone who can provide that?

Greetings,
Lars

Posted: Jun 27, 2004 06:38:41   Edited by: fireworksforum

Lars,

I can host some of the clips here on montreal-fireworks.com - I have lots and lots of webspace available. Actually, this should be a plug for the hosting service I use http://powweb.com - it is a great package for a great price. 500Mbytes of webspace, virtually unlimited bandwidth, hundreds of email address, 5 SQL databases (this forum uses 1 database) etc. I highly recommend them.

Paul.

Posted: Jun 27, 2004 07:18:48

Hi Paul!

Sounds great

Let's talk about it when I arrive in Montreal. I will stay from the Caballer show to the Closing so i hope you have time for a talk in between.

Regards,
Lars

Posted: Jun 27, 2004 09:10:18

Lars,

I'm looking forward to seeing you again this year. You're going to witness some fabulous displays - if you thought last year was good (and it was), you ain't seen nuthin' yet

Paul.

Posted: Jun 29, 2004 11:36:48

Lars when r u coming to Montreal? for how long

also how long will u record the show?

thanks

Posted: Jun 30, 2004 04:32:39

I will arrive for the Caballer show and stay for the Panzera (6 shows)

The camera can run for approx. 1 hour so that should be enough.

I just want to be sure it is perfectly legal and besides that i think it would be best to ask for permission from the organisers to be shure there will be no trouble...

I love to have filmclips myself and i also like to share as long as it can cause no problems

Lars

Posted: Jun 30, 2004 09:44:09

Lars,

I'm perfectly sure that it's legal to do that sort of thing, providing that you don't sell copies of it. That's definitely illegal to do.

And it looks like you're arriving for a great intense display, not to mention the others that you'll see!

Enjoy everything Montreal has to offer and, of course, the largest fireworks competition on the planet! You really are going to be in for a treat!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 1, 2004 03:58:41

Hi Trav

I still hallucinate from the memory from last years competition

And it was a specific choise to arrive for the caballer show... I'd like to se IPON as well but i think it gives a better value to arrive when they start to do 2 displays weekly...

Will you be at LaRonde after the displays?

Lars

Posted: Jul 1, 2004 05:13:09

Lars,

I'm glad that you' re coming, especially to see Spain and the others! Igual and Maratumaya were very well done already! And yes, it would be nice for you to see IPON, as well, this coming Saturday! We're alo getting an outstanding forcast! Perfect summer weather. They usually do an incredible job with those finales!

As for me being at La Ronde after displays, I don't think that I'll be able to attend sine I watch on Notre-Dame and De Lorimier intersection streets, which is located on the other side of the river just next to the bridge, so it will be hard for me to get there. However, I'll probably be there for the Panzera closing show, so I'll most likely stink around after that particular display and you never know, maybe I'll hang out after some others, too!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020