Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Rumours about the 2005 Schedule
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 10, 2004 15:40:42

2 weeks have almost passed and the 2005 competitors have already began producing their show

does anyone have any rumours concerning 2004 competitors? like last year

i know that some arent allowed to give away, but any little detail that ure allowed to say is appreciated and precious

Posted: Aug 10, 2004 16:34:27

Enkil,

I have no clue!

I'm sure that it will be like any ordinary year, though. You know, like Canada, the U.S, etc. I suspect the usual will be there. I hope Caballer or Igual will be there!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 10, 2004 18:33:57

Enkil,

Not a clue to who's going to be there in 2005.....but one thing is for sure: I want IPON to be there next year......and this time, I'll be there on the bridge, with my ears and eyes wide open!

By the way, this evening, we had a preview of what's to come next Summer for the fireworks competition....a repeat of IPON's finale back in 1998, to the music "Thunder and Flash".....LOL.......God, it was raining cats and dogs!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 10, 2004 18:42:11   Edited by: Smoke

Are you guys seing the lightning outside? There was so many storms today! Once again, a very humid airmass! I'm kinda enjoying it, especially when the thunder goes after a big lightning channel.

Reminds me of the fireworks!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 10, 2004 18:54:44

Hey Trav!

Great minds think alike....LOL....my thoughts exactly. I was watching the thunderstorm this evening, and it brought me back to last month, while I was standing on the bridge.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 10, 2004 20:26:36

These thunderstorms really bring back the good old days, wouldn't you say?

I'm still going to be looking out for other developments tonight, although I think that things are easing up at this hour. Tomorrow, though, once we get some solar energy to cook things up, this may ignite more possible storms in the afternoon hours. I really wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow was similar to today! This reminds me of giving my weather updates for the displays!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 11, 2004 05:40:54

I hope we don't get any storms today (Wednesday). I'm going to the competition in Gatineau to see Royal compete. The last thing we need is thunder! Though, I must admit, I drove up the mountain last night to watch the storms!

Paul.

Posted: Aug 11, 2004 05:48:00   Edited by: Smoke

Paul,

Did you see those incredible lightning effects and shapes? It was truly stunning! I hope you weren't near any trees!

I watched all the storms that brewed yesterday! Very incredible! Although, lightning did start a few fires last night around my area and I'm sure all over the place, too.

BTW, how did the storm look from up there?

As for storms today, once again, we're still in that type of airmass. I wouldn't be surprised if things happened like yesterday, but I don't think it would be as strong as what happened yesterday. Although, today, the chance is lower. Gatineau has the same forecast as Montreal. I'm not saying that there will be storms today, but the chance is certainly there, especially considering the right conditions are making it favorable.

Despite all that, enjoy Royal!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 11, 2004 07:19:55

first thank you for changing the suject j/k

i was also watching them
the lights were going off, so my computer stopped and then i decided to go and watch them

i love thunderstorms! i love it when its scary and stuffs, with all the lightning, it feels as if ure in a scary movie, althro u just hope nothing bad happens to u

there was one time, i dont know if its in 1998 or 1999 (something like that) there was a major one, it was late at night, theres alot of rain and major thunderstorms, that one was my far the most longest scariest one ive seen

does anyone remember?

Posted: Aug 11, 2004 07:50:05

I remember that one. I woke up at something like 2 or 3 in the morning and the lightning was just continuous - something like two or three flashes a second ... just like an IPON finale! I was going to go up the mountain, but was too tired. I just watched out of the window at home. Sadly, I'd missed most of it because I was asleep. I'm always hoping we get another storm like that!

It's funny how all pyro freaks seem to like thunderstorms as well! In fact, I like anything that's happening in the sky: fireworks, lightning, kites, everything to do with astronomy (stars, planets, comets, meteors etc.). There's something very primeaeval about it - I think this is why fireworks are so pan-cultural. Look at the Millenium celebrations, pretty much every culture on the planet celebrated with fireworks.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 11, 2004 09:52:30   Edited by: Smoke

Paul and Enkil,

How can I ever forget that electrical POWER HOUSE! That was beyond anything I've ever seen. Like Paul said, it was literally 2 or 3, at times even more, lightning flashes every second. It was like the world was coming to an end. My parents were scared, but I was enjoying it. It was so continuous that outside was like day time. It's true.

And yes, that storm was off the charts. It was BY FAR the most fearsome storm that's ever happened. That night I saw the whole thing because I couldn't sleep, and then I started seing some flashes from a distance. This is when I started getting excited! The moment I see a flash of lightning, I just get this sudden feeling of excitement within me and I just get the front seat, or my window!

Paul, you're exactly like me! I love anything in the sky, especially thunderstorms and fireworks. I think there's something in us that gives us this passion. I particularly love lightning and the way it makes its variety of forms! Last night was very spectacular. I saw so many shapes, actually scary looking shapes! The rain was very heavy, too. Once again, a very humid airmass in the southern and central areas of our province!

BTW, that storm that we had was in 1999. To be precise, it was on the early morning of July 5th that lasted almost, or more than 2 hours. I can't forget that night. After seing the whole thing, it still lingers in my mind everytime I see a thunderstorm. Just for you guys to know, that wasn't no ordinary storm, in fact that type of storm was the level above the mature thunderstorm limit. It was a very rare severe storm called a "supercell." One in every six supercells produce tornadoes. In fact, there was a tornado that night in around Vaudreuil, hence our strong winds that night. The winds were an upwards of almost exceeding 120 km/h at times. The results the next morning were devastating. A lot of debris and destruction. Lightning even sliced a house in two, instantly. It was a great storm to watch, but was very destructive. Some places also recorded great amounts of rain.

Back to last night's crazy storm, did anyone have hail? I had big chunks of it! It sounded like my house was coming down! This is in my area, I don't know about you guys, though.

To tell you guys the truth, I'm storm watching today because the risk is there, although not a major risk, but has a potential. Beautiful high dewpoints and great humidity out there. I'm so glad that we all have a passion for thunderstorms, too. I thought that I was the only one crazy about them. I fell in love with them since I was 4! At that age!

Well, back to my storm watch! However, there's nothing too impressive, right now. We just have to wait for the peak hours.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 11, 2004 13:58:29   Edited by: Salutes lover

Wow, and all that time, I thought I was the only one who also loved watching thunderstorms....and lightning. The only thing I don't like, is the danger that comes with it. It's true that thunderstorms are so similar to fireworks....specially those finales by IPON (I agree with you Paul).....(teehee), I am addicted to IPON's finales now, but I bet you could tell!

Have you ever watched the video clip by Deborah Harry, called "I can see clearly" from her album "Debravation" back in 1993? I am telling you......you would LOVE the clip, since she is standing in a field at night and there's a thunderstorm....lightning all over the place.....and all is very well synchronized with the music. You'd swear that IPON produced the video...LOL

Well, now that you mentionned all those thunderstorms, I think I will go watch "I can see clearly"......it will remind me of the fireworks of this year

Pierre

Posted: Aug 12, 2004 07:33:10

Pierre,

Yes, indeed. That storm in 1999 was like a typical IPON finale. And yes, I totally agree with you. A thunderstorm is great to watch, and is very similar to fireworks, but far more dangerous, as I explained in my previous post.

To tell you the truth, I was on Mont-Royal last night and believe it or not, there was a thunderstorm just south of the city! I was very fortunate to be there at the time, and what a beautiful view of the city, itself. I was getting some snap shots of the city at the time and then I managed to get a picture of a small lightning channel. Did you guys see this storm? It developed around 8:30-8:40 P.M and left the region about almost 10:40 P.M. About a 2-hour mini- storm. You had to look in the southeast or south directions. It wasn't as impressive as the ones the day before, but it had some nice lightning shapes, although you had to wait a while in between lightning elapsed time! I enjoyed, especially the way it integrated with the city background. It was kinda scary.

All this thunderstorm talk is really turning be on! I love them so much! It's pretty much one of my greatest passions! Anyways, let me know if you guys spotted the storm last night.

BTW, does everyone know their lightning safety?

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.025