Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› R/C Helicopters carrying fireworks
Last poster Message

Posted: Sep 3, 2004 13:56:54

Hi Guys,

Ever thought about carrying fireworks with r/c helicopters?? I have done it for 3 years now. Would love to see it incorporated into a traditional show! Go to my website to see video trailer. I put 22 2" shells on a helicopter and set them off all at once, it was beautiful!!!

www.mikescolesheli.com

Thanks, Mike

Posted: Sep 3, 2004 14:10:29

Mike,

thanks for sharing this with us. I watched the video on your site and it was really interesting! When you say you put shells on your helicopter, were these in mortars or did they just kind of drop and then explode sometime later? It sounds fascinating - do you need any kind of special permits for what you do? I'm also interested to know what sort of firing system you use for the pyro on the 'copter. Obviously it must be wireless!

Once again, thanks!

Paul.

Posted: Sep 3, 2004 14:25:41

Mike,

Well now, there's something you don't really see everyday! I've also checked out your video and it looks pretty cool! I wonder if we'll do that for the Mondial SAQ!

But, isn't this kind of dangerous? What if something goes wrong?

Trav.

Posted: Sep 5, 2004 09:18:57

we did this on private property in a very controlled environemnt...fire dept. was on hand.... I used electric matches and a custom electronic sequencer a friend made that I triggered from my transmitter. The shells were just attached to the heli, no tubes..I didn't want them to go away from the heli....

I don't think this was anymore dangerous than fireworks in general!!! One scene, which is not on the trailer was when we set the 22 shells off on a helicopter, I did not intend for the heli to survive...but it did!

I just think this would make a great addition to traditional firework shows... NOBODY has fireworks that are this directional Even just straight night flying without fireworks ont he helis would be entertaining, particularly while everyone is sitting there waiting for the show to start! I hate the down time associated with watching a big show...

I am the only person doing this in the US, doubt it is being done at this level anywhere else in the world. The r/c helicopter community is quite tight, and I would know about it.

Mike
www.mikescolesheli.com

Posted: Sep 5, 2004 09:27:04

Sounds pretty interesting and unique!

I watched the video again and was amazed by the way it was done, not to mention the entire concept.

But, what if something goes wrong? How do you prepare yourself in emergency situations, like if something catches fire, for instance? I mean, this is integrated with a helicopter, after all! I guess you know what you're doing.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 09:42:49

Tray,

If anything mechanical happens to go wrong, the helicopter crashes..plain and simple. If you've ever gone duck hunting, you know they fall right out of the sky, same with a heli, its not like an airplane that will try to keep flying...heli turns into a brick, falls straight down. Mechanical problems can be avoided by good maintenance, Electrical problems are addressed by a "fail/safe" setting on the radio. If anything goes wrong, the helicopter will turn the motor off, and it then becomes a brick... We flew far away from the crowd, and did this on a very wet night, even still, had members of the fire department on site... I've done about 30 flights like this over the last 3 years, and never had a problem with things catching fire. Everything on a heli is metal and plastic...

The trailer does not do it justice!!! The trailer left out a great deal of the best content. Watching on a big TV with good sound is awesome!!!

Mike
www.mikescolesheli.com

Posted: Sep 7, 2004 12:27:28

Mike,

Thanks. I just wanted to get that safety stuff cleared up. We should consider this technique in the Mondial SAQ! It really is something else.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Nov 3, 2004 01:38:55

Dr. Paul Marriott where can we contact you? what is your contact numbers and email address we need to get intouch with you as soon as possible, regarding a competition we are organizing here in the philippines the world pyro olympics. we are La Mancha Pyro Productions Inc. thank you,

Robert Basihan
La Mancha - Philippines

Posted: Nov 3, 2004 01:42:45

Dr. Marriott,

By the way this is our telephone number just in case you want to contact us. 632-8172294 or 632-8108676. The President of our company would like to speak with you soon, his name is Mr. Ricardo Crisostomo of La Mancha Pyro Production

my email is robert_basihan@yahoo.com
and pyro_haven@yahoo.com

Page loading time (sec.): 0.018