Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Reviews Of Pajama Fireworks 2004
Last poster Message

Posted: Sep 5, 2004 19:57:43   Edited by: Enkil

i will post with dots and capitals for this final review of this great year, it will be feld with details about this mysterious display (this is especially for Smoke)

What appeared to be impossible in life, happened possible. I actually went there to see one final display of this year.

It was 7:30, when we left the house, my sister, bunch of friends and me. I was extremely happy to see again Montreal and the roads we always used to took to go there. It was 8:20, finally, we arrived there and I was VERY dissapointed. I mean it was really sad. We didnt see one person on the Notre Dame street, not even of the bridge! After spending almost 10 minutes, trying to figure out where we should stand, we decied to go on Notre Dame.We parked the car near the bridge entrance, there was actually a lot of parking places (and a free parking, for the first time!). We then walk to Notre Dame. The weather was really ok, it wasn't very cold, just a bit, with a good amount of wind. We sat on the rocks (quiet comfortable). And we waited. Then, suddenly, some group of people poped up next to us, at the last minute. I saw maybe three or four on the bridge. And finally at 9:00pm, the lights closed and it started. The begining had HUGE, major salutes (like the ones we saw). It was a bit weird considering the fact that it was fired manually because sometimes we waited 3 - 5 seconds. But it was really good and a fun show. Before the ending started, there was one segment which was VERY beautiful. If u go to mondialsaq.com and check Argentina's clip, it resembles, but a bit different, but still! And the then the amazing ending. It was really loud and filled, but not as powerfull as the ones we see, but quiet good for this type of display. The materials were good, just like the ones we see. I forgot to mention that, when the display started, we noticed MANY cars behind our back, next to the sidewalk. They were in their car, watching, I think one person was filming with his Digital camera. Ahh I have to admit, it was a bit embarrassing to be there alone, but it was good to see a few people (as I expected).

Was it worth to go there for this 12min show? If your a major fan and want to see a final display, I pretty much think it was. But for ordinary people, I don't know, because with the people I went with, they liked it.

Posted: Sep 5, 2004 21:10:42

Enkil,

Sorry for the late comments. I just finished watching your video. It was excellent. Felt like the real thing! More on this later.

Anyways, nice display review!

Thx for filling me in. I still wish that I could've gone. It must've been something to be on Notre-Dame and De Lorimier! At least a few people were there, but still, no major crowd! I'm happy that you went, though! I'll be there next year!

In all, I wasn't too surprised to hear that the show was manually fired. It was small, after all. I wonder if it used a lot of Caballer's materials that were left over.

I was also surprised to hear that there were so few in number of people in the area! I have a feeling that a lot of people were at La Ronde, though.

As for the weather, it was much warmer than last year's forecast! I expected it to be comfortable. My weather report was accurate! It felt like giving reports during the competition. The weather can be a major factor when it comes to having a good time. Tomorrow is supposed to be hot, btw!

Just a few questions. First off, approximately how long was the ending? Was it colorful? And how long was the show, in general, meaning, did it cross 12 minutes duration? Did your sister and friends enjoy it(I know you did)? Finally, was the bridge, Notre-Dame and De Lorimier closed to traffic after all?

My my.........I'm full of questions!!!!!

BTW, I'm glad that you got free parking and I'm happy you went after all the talk we had! A great way to end the year!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 5, 2004 21:31:14

I wonder if it used a lot of Caballer's materials that were left over

i didnt notice it being intense the show through out, the ending it was! if they used those material, i dont believe u missed anything big (as i expected)

I have a feeling that a lot of people were at La Ronde, though.

actually, i think i heard applaudes from La Ronde, im not sure but i believe i did

First off, approximately how long was the ending?

i really did not look at the time, i just wanted to enjoy this last display, but it was short, but good enought, maybe around 10 - 15sec, im just saying something, but it was ok for this type of show

Was it colorful?

i think i remember seeing the ending red, it did ressemble to China's ending i can tell, but not as strong as

And how long was the show, in general, meaning, did it cross 12 minutes duration?

i have no idea, i didnt check the time, but i did get the feeling that the show DIDNT end quickly, thats doesnt mean i didnt enjoy it, it was only like "a fair enough time"

Did your sister and friends enjoy it(I know you did)?

yes, they did, u can notice this, when after the display they start talking about it, they even said if there was any more, lol

Finally, was the bridge, Notre-Dame and De Lorimier closed to traffic after all?

ohhhh, i forgot to write about this
no it wasnt closed, nothing was closed, everything was working, it felt like a dead place without anyone there, its the first time i see that place so dead

i feel like im doing an interview LOL

any more questions

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 07:50:45   Edited by: Smoke

Enkil,

That was like an interview! Thanks for the answers.

There's another question that I wanted to ask. Where exactly did you watch? Remember when you were telling me during the competition where you stood during the shows? Well, did you stand in that spot? Oh yeah, were you considering on going up front by the steel gate on Notre-Dame?

Hehehe. It would've been funny and strange if 500,000 people showed up, like usual!

I really miss those streets and that entire area so much! I still wish that I could've gone!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 07:54:03

no, i was standing next to the steel gate (of course), we prolly had the best view outside La Ronde LOL

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 08:00:05

Yes, that would be logical to do. Next year, I think I'm going to encourage my family to go back up front on Notre-Dame, like we used to do back in the 90's. It feels a lot better up front.

This is about next year. Are you planning on coming back on Notre-Dame to view the displays next year, or it's back to the bridge?

If you are still coming, I'm going to tell you exactly where I park and you'll always have free parking and a short distance to walk. This is from years of experience! The only problem is the longer wait, but no big deal, as long as you keep yourself occupied.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 08:25:25   Edited by: Enkil

this is a good question, this year we always went with the car and the reason for this, is becuz my aunt was here, since i always was pressure everyone, she came with us

normaly here, no one likes to drive till there, plus they r always busy

i heard that my other aunt of mine and a cousin is coming again from Sweden next summer, but its not confirmed, my mom told me get a passport for me and my cousin (who is 2 years younger than me) and go there every night like in 2000

i dont even know the guy, never talked to him, so i dunno what ill be doing, maybe we will go again with the car for my aunt and cousin

but right now, i think ill go back in the old days, with the subway on Jean Drapeau

oh yeah, theres meteo Papineau from there i can go on Notre Dame street

we'll see, theres still alot of time to think about

as for the free parking, well my sister preferes to pay, becuz the car is kinda new, and she doesnt want to place where u told me, theres alot of ppl and stuff, u know?

i think its stupid to pay, but its her choice i guess

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 10:42:53

Oh, ok.

Well, there's still time. A lot can happen in 9-10 months.

I don't mind, though. Must be a nice car!

Trav.

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 13:09:25

Enkil,

I wanted to give you some feeback on your video.

It was generally good, and nice and LONG. To tell you the truth, it didn't feel like it was 50 minutes because I was so into most of it, especially the clips I haven't seen before.

The organization was also nicely done. It was traditionally matched to the way the competition was regularly done. This made it enjoyable, in a way.

I particularly liked the small performance done by the Circus Orange, which Tom Comet was talking about prior to the opening display. They did a fabulous job. I still wish I was at La Ronde to see the show. The same idea for Germany. There was a scene where you could see the live performance orchestra integrated to the fireworks. I was also delighted to see the waterfall in action from the La Ronde perspective. It was really nice.

I did notice some parts where there were no music, but I know the reason. Those were the clips that Paul posted and said that there was no sound. This is the only minor problem. Not a big distraction from the movie as a whole.

The concept, in general, was good. It showed nice seens of the competition.

As for the finales, as I said, very good way to list them, in terms of participants. Panzera really put a nice ending to a big movie! Another comment here is that I've seen some endings several times, but from different views and angles, like the bridge, La Ronde, etc. It's good to see the way people see the fireworks from different places.

Nicely done. I think I'll watch it again tonight. You did a good job.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone, including you, Enkil, for sharing their clips and posting it on the forum, especially Pierre, for getting those finales and badnitrus trying to get all of Caballer and also people who've shared other videos with us on this forum. Also a special thanks to MondialSAQ.com for their clips, as always.

We've had a heck of a lot of videos to watch this year. Quite appropriate for the 20th anniversary.

It was an excellent year.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 13:45:20

kewl im glad u liked it

btw, i also have the 2003 version, u know in the beginning all those mini clips from mondialsaq.com, i did the exactly the same of 2003, but theres no others clips other than that, its about 100 - 130mb

but i think i have one from Lars, Englands final, i dunno if u would want me to add that too at the end

ill sent it to u next weekend, IF u want

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 16:58:25   Edited by: Smoke

Ok, I'll think about it and let you know by then.

What a crazy weekend!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 6, 2004 19:00:59

C'est avec beaucoup de bonheur que nous avons assisté, quelques amis et moi, au Feu des pyjamas à partir de la section Argent des gradins de La Ronde. D'abord, il y avait beaucoup de monde à La Ronde dimanche. Le beau temps prévu depuis plusieurs jours et la possibilité d'obtenir un rabais de 50% sur le prix d'entrée ont sûrement contribué à cet achalandage.

Après le souper, nous nous sommes approchés des rampes de lancement et avons constaté la présence d'une quantité appréciable de matériel sur les rampes 1 à 4, y compris d'une chute en deux segments, placés de chaque côté de la rampe 4, au dessus de la rampe 2, à quelques mètres du sol. Des hélices étaient aussi fixées à la rampe 3 et des bâtons produisant des strobes en craquant ceinturaient la rampe 4.

Contrairement à l'année dernière alors que le feu d'artifice avait été présenté en accusant un retard de 45 minutes, l'édition 2004 du Feu des pyjamas a bel et bien été lancée à 21h, tel que prévu, une série de mines inaugurant le spectacle. Dans le premier tableau, deux "trous" ont fait craindre un spectacle décousu mais il n'en fut rien: de mémoire, ce spectacle m'a semblé le meilleur présenté depuis quatre ans dans le cadre de la promotion des pyjamas. La finale, malgré sa brièveté, a été puissante et ravissante pour les spectateurs réunis une dernière fois avant l'hiver. Décidémment, l'équipe des artificiers de La Ronde nous ont offert une belle prestation pyromusicale!

Frédérick

Posted: Sep 7, 2004 09:43:01

Frédérick,

it sounds like it was a good display. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend. I wish I could have seen it! By the way, what was the music used?

Paul.

Posted: Sep 7, 2004 09:54:37

music?

it was synchronized with a music?

Posted: Sep 7, 2004 09:58:45

Of course As Frédérick said: "Décidémment, l'équipe des artificiers de La Ronde nous ont offert une belle prestation pyromusicale!". It just wasn't simulcast on the radio like the Mondial SAQ displays.

Paul.

Posted: Sep 7, 2004 10:01:13   Edited by: Enkil

YES now i remember, there was a music coming from La Ronde, i was sure it wasnt from there

oh well, it wasnt on the radio, but ill admit it did feel weird to watch it without my walkman

Posted: Sep 7, 2004 11:36:18

La bande sonore était constituée de quelques chansons, en français et en anglais. Je ne connais pas leurs titres, mais je crois que la première était une pièce de Phil Collins. Il y avait aussi une ou deux chansons pour enfants, en français, du style "Annie Brocoli" (une chanteuse populaire auprès des enfants). Malheureusement, je ne peux fournir d'informations plus précises sur la sélection musicale. Par ailleurs, la synchronisation avec la bande sonore était assez bonne.

Frédérick

Posted: Sep 7, 2004 12:23:31

Paul,

I feel the same way you do! I wish that I could've been there!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 8, 2004 20:33:29

It was my pleasure to share my personal clips with you guys, this year and I will gladly do the same in 2005. This time, I will certainly be more experienced and provide you with even better clips of higher quality

Posted: Sep 9, 2004 12:51:18

Pierre,

I'm still happy to this day that you shared those clips with us! I watch so much since then. It's like a habit now!

I would love that again for next year. But, doesn't it distract from seing it live?

Trav.

Posted: Sep 9, 2004 18:50:08

Hi Trav.

Yes, it is more fun to watch a firework display, without having to check if the camera is really aimed at the display, without taking care of not moving too much, etc.... but if I did not record the display, I would regret not having it on tape, specially when the finale is intense, loud and filled with salutes (wink, wink). By the way, I only record the finales.

Pierre

Posted: Sep 9, 2004 20:27:23

Pierre,

Can't complain there. You and I both know how we, and everyone else here, love finales! And yes, there's no point recording the whole show because you can only hold the camera so long and plus, you want to see it live, too!

Finales are the best part to record! That's a good point!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 10, 2004 09:54:19   Edited by: Enkil

i still think recording a 30min show, would be greater than just finales

but i would want this to be done in La Ronde, with a good focus and sound

i would be kewl if we got Germany's or maybe Callaber's

Posted: Sep 10, 2004 15:12:00   Edited by: Smoke

It would be great to get the whole show, but the common fear is selling copies of the actual displays. This is the problem. Although, it's rather popular seeing people recording the show, but then again, it can be tedious, especially when bombarded with a video camera. It's hard to enjoy a show display this way, especially when it's being seen live. However, one can argue that after recording the entire thing, could see it as many times as they want. This would be beneficial.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Sep 10, 2004 20:32:13

isnt it ok to sell, becuz i believe the sky is free to watch and record, only the soundtrack can be illegal to sell

if someone isnt allowed to sell the whole show, then how is ok to to sell finales (since its available)
ok i think u understand what i mean, maybe ure thinking that recording a whole show is a lot, but i doubt that ppl who want to sell it arent allowed to do so, i also find that very stupid thro

as for being distracted, this should be done (well, at least) by an ordinary ppl, i dont think a family member of mine would mind to record since im the one who wants to see it

i do know that its alot of work and money (i think) and whatever we get, we should be thankfull to the person, thats all

Posted: Sep 11, 2004 09:04:01   Edited by: Smoke

Enkil,

What I meant was that recording an entire show can be illegal because of the soundtracks and the copyright issues, as you say. This is the problem. And yes, the sky is free, so there shouldn't be problems! It's not like they own it! I don't see why the soundtrack should be in copyright, though, because anybody could download those songs!

As for little clips, it's quite fine because then why would Mondial SAQ make the clips available? I agree with you. I think it's ok for people to actually record the shows, which many people do! Nothing is wrong with this, as long as it's for personal use. This would be beneficial for many people, but I think the entire show available for download on the net wouldn't be allowed.

And yes, we should be thankful to what opportunities were given to us to actually watch the clips. I'm VERY greatful for all the contributions made to this forum with the available, overwhelming amount of clips. We did get a lot this year, an plus you organized a fabulous video with practically all of them! That's what it's worth!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.030