Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Questions About Fireworks
. 1 . 2 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Oct 30, 2004 10:33:45

(im asking these question, for my project)

before i start making my research

1. i want to know whats exactly the difference between a fireworks and a pyrotechnic?

2. in my project, i will first talk about fireworks, the composants of a salute tube and then i will talk about fireworks displays, their advantages, disadvantages and what we can do with it, except the problem is im not sure what i should call this part, should i call "Pyrotechnic" or "pyromuscial"? and remember it must be related to fireworks, in general

3. also, could someone name me more advantages and disadvantges
for advantages: profits (La Ronde -> making money)
disadvantges pollutions (pollution, smoke, complaints), then i will talk about how to fix the problem, using a system that wont cause pollution
any more?

4. how do u call a "salute" in french?

5. another question, if ever there was a technical problem with the audio, will the fireworks stop automaticly? vise versa

please post in french, if its easier for u

Posted: Oct 31, 2004 01:32:45

Hi Enkil

Well, I'll try to answer them as good as i can - but i'm not 100% sure of it all...

1) Pyrotehnics is a generel term, that includes fireworks, the blast-devices in airbags and a lot of other things we don't know excist many places in our everyday life.
To say it in another way:
Pyro= Fire --> Firetechnics... = Everything that makes a reaction based on some chemical mixtures... And fireworks are one of these niches.

2) I would call if fireworks, because you pahaps could be mistaken by some freaky professor If you use the word fireworks and pyromusicals i'm pretty sure you should make your point.

3) Advantages: Entertainment, universal joy regardless of age, origin, skin-color etc. It brings people together. The "Karma" of fireworks is to make people happy and that's what i like about it
Disadvantages is like you mention the pollution and that it can bother people who don't like it...
Regarding a system to make no smoke, many people has probably been trying to solve it...
Pahaps it could be possible to mix a chemical to purify the formulas? It would probably be very expensive, and therefore nobody would buy them... Money determines virtually everything in this world today

4) I have never spoken a word french so i can't help you there

5) That depends if you're running timecode through a DAT-player. In that case yes, because there is a track on the tape only for information about the firing-cues. But if you run it seperately the firing module naturally will continue - so hate when it does that

I hope this could help you? If you want more detailed answers let me know and i'll try... But regarding the chemestry in it i'm not that expirienced, though

Regards,
Lars

Posted: Nov 3, 2004 08:58:56

Lars,

sorry for the late reply, ive been very busy this week, here a few questions i still need to ask

1) and 2)

i cant call this part "fireworks", heres how i will present it on Powerpoint
1. Intro
2. Fireworks
3. (unknown)
4. Concl

on the 2nd section, i will talk about the composants of a salute, how it works

now i was thinking about calling it "Pyrotechnic show"
do u think its more appropriate?

3) thx for the info, ill add "Entertainment" in the advantage list

5) thx for the info

Posted: Nov 3, 2004 13:59:42

To call it a pyrotechnic show is pretty much op to your taste, i would say... But you could do that, explaining that it is fireworks and not blast-devices i air-bags you are talking about
(in extention to the previous description)

Good luck - it's a great topic to write about if you are able to keep it relevant for your schoolwork

Lars

Posted: Nov 4, 2004 15:00:33

Enkil,

It's been a while sice I've posted here. Like you, I've been very busy with TONS of essays and tests. Anyways, good to be back and good to know that your project is going along well.

I will also try to answer your questions, but it looks like Lars was able to help you out. Anyways, I'll give you some of my feedback.

1) Pyrotechnics involves the entire field and art of designing and creating fireworks along with the works of chemicals and compounds to give the proper effects, like colors and shapes and so forth, similar to what Lars suggested. In essence, the term revolves around "fire", hence the name "pyrotechnician", one who deals with pyrotechnics.

2)I think you should use the term pyrotechnics because you are covering the basic concepts of the overall field. You could also refer to "puromusical" if you want to demonstrate or emphasize the Mondial SAQ. Describe the term and explain how it's done. Remember to be specific and concrete.

3) I'm either compelled or reluctant to answer this question in terms of the disadvantages of fireworks. Many argue that smoke intake to adjacent houses is constantly being a problem. This partly a reason for the negative effects of fireworks. Anyways, I don't want to get on the contraversial part of it. The advantages of it is that, as Lars said, entertainment for the audience and the general appreciated professional crafted designed art of a pyromusical display. Ask any Montreal fireworks fan out there! More on this later.

4) It's hard to give the translation of the word salute in French. I've checked with some dictionnaries, but obviously, it refers to when you salute someone, not the actual terminology of the pyrotechnic term. All I got was "saluer"

5) It appears Lars was able to help you there.

Let us know if need anymore help. I find it fun helping you out with your project, especially since its relevance is realted to fireworks in depth!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 17:45:36   Edited by: Enkil

nevermind what i posted

Posted: Nov 5, 2004 22:07:45

The french term for salute is marron. Probably because the actually salutes themselves resemble chestnuts (before they are fired of course).

Paul.

Posted: Nov 6, 2004 08:33:25

Paul,

How would you say mines and shells in french?

BTW, long time no see! Good to hear from you again, Paul.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 6, 2004 15:38:42   Edited by: Enkil

well, right now i dont need to know anything about salutes

im using the example of a "shell", which i believe is the basic of every type of fireworks that excist

i will talk the composant of a shell and how it works, ive found alot of interessing stuff

im preparing everything with the help of my partner
ive took the informations pretty much from everywhere, on Mondialsaq.com, this website and this forum, all mixed
i might force me to make a website, because the teacher wants us to make our sujects public, im going to ask him if i can do a website
regardless the answer, i will make one for the fun of it

the problem is the videos im using r from here and mondialsaq and other stuffs r copyright... so it might take time for me releasing, everything must be done before Christmas.
it will be in french, no need to make another english one, we have alot of infos in english

anyways, i need to know how we say "shell" in french, from now on ill ask my chemistry teacher for the names lol

Posted: Nov 6, 2004 17:01:15

heres an other question i need to ask, a complicated one rather

i need to know..

when u want to launch simultaneously roman candles

1) when u want it to be done automaticly, what computer, system/whatever is used? is there a picture of it?

also, i just what to make sure that the "computer, system/whatever" automaticly controls the show, without the interference of a human

2) when u want it to be done manualy, what computer, system/whatever is used? is there a picture of it?
[b][/b]

can roman candles be launched simultaneously when its done manualy?

hard to explain but hopefully i made a bit of sence
maybe the pictures r in http://www.montreal-fireworks.com/setup.html (just a tip)

Posted: Nov 8, 2004 17:00:15

There are many firing systems for launching fireworks automatically (i.e. from a pre-defined script). The two most popular systems are PyroDigital and FireOne. There is a picture of a PyroDigital field controller on the setup page of this site. Both FireOne and PyroDigital can also be used to fire manually, however, this is usually overkill. There are many other manual (electrical) firing systems. PyroMate make some very good manual firing systems (as well as computerized ones as well).

You can launch many simultaneous fireworks with whatever firing system you want - the fact that the firing system initiates the devices electrically is the key. Just connect up as many electric matches as are appropriate (depends on the system you use as well to certain extents).

As for the earlier questions, in French a mine is often called a volcan (because it is a bit like a volcano) and shells are called bombes. Unfortunately, calling them bombs in English is not a good idea! Neither are they called rockets or fusees. These are self-propelled devices, not shot from a mortar like shells.

More information on Pyrodigital at: http://infinityvisions.com

More information on FireOne at: http://fireone.com

More information on PyroMate at: http://pyromate.com

Cheers,

Paul - just back from the Canadian Fireworks Association Summit meeting

Posted: Nov 9, 2004 01:17:46

Hi guys!i have just registered to this forum!!it sounds good!!first of all my real name is volcan!!so you can see that i was born for pyrotecnics!! i m from turkey and i interest in to Pyrotechnics involves the entire field and art of designing and creating fireworks!
There are many firing systems for launching fireworks automatically
and yes most popular systems are admin wrote that fireone,pyrodigita and pyromate!!
i have found a system from argentina it calls PyroMusicalFireworksCentre
more information:www.blastdivision.com.ar
it seems cheaper and usefull..
i am so sory for my bad english
goodluck

Posted: Nov 9, 2004 18:28:33

For you question about timecode:

if you broadcast your audio from a DAT or Minidisc and there's a problem with reception, the internal timecode of the firing module will pick up. (At least this is true with Pyrodigital) I've been told that longer is the downtime period more you will get a difference in sync... but fortunately, I never experienced the problem!

Posted: Nov 11, 2004 20:06:46

thanks for all the answers
i might not be able to talk to the class about most of questions i asked, question of time

but i again have a few more questions

my first question, is it in general essay to produce a pyrotechnic show? does it take a lot of work and concentration? filling the tubes, etc i just need a yes or no answer for this one

my second question is: i need a clear definition of "pyrotechnic show", ive written one, but i want to know if theres something i should add, etc

English version: It is when we gather several pyrotechnics materiels to form a show. We connect each materiels together with an electric wire attached to a system computer. This system can launch materiels simultaneously and it controls everything.

French verson: C'est lorsqu'on rassemble plusieurs pièces pyrotechniques pour former une spectacle. On connecte chaque pièce ensemble avec un fil électrique qui est attaché à un systeme ordinateur. Cette machine peut lancer des pièces simultanément et elle controle tout.

your free to answer me in french, which would be better for me, if its essay for u

Posted: Nov 12, 2004 08:06:46

Hi Enkil,

this is how I would say it it french:

Assemblage de plusieurs pièces pyrotechniques pour créer un spectacle. Chaque pièce est connectée à un fil électrique relié à une console de mise-à-feu informatisée. Cette console contrôle le tir de une ou plusieurs pièces selon une séquence pré-établie.

Hope it helps

Posted: Nov 12, 2004 11:58:43

yes, thats much better, especially when it comes from a pyrotechnician
thanks

Posted: Nov 13, 2004 08:23:05   Edited by: Smoke

Enkil,

What is your plan for your project? You seem to be gathering a lot of information in different areas of pyrotechnics.Are there any other things that you're planning to consider?

From what I hear and see in what you're covering, you should do a fantastic job. You're covering things like different concepts of pyrotechnics and the way it's, using different firing systems, as well as different chemicals and compounds to make various effects and colors. Also, I think it's great that you're covering the art of a pyromusical show. You can get plenty of info on that alone.

I have a suggestion for your presention in the intorduction. Start off by mentioning a small part about the Mondial SAQ. Then talk about your overall plan and procedure or layout of your paper. Bascially, a general abstract.

I can help you organize your thoughts. What is your thesis?

Trav.

Posted: Nov 19, 2004 15:13:10

Well, right now, I finished the "Pyrotechnic show" section

the "fireworks" section, i'm still working on it. This is normaly my partners job. But I'm helping too, it's not an easy part

ive talked with my teacher, he said the "Pyrotechnic show" section must not be longer than the "fireworks" section, i cant talk a lot about Mondialsaq, u see, im accepted by a limit

right now, I can confirm u that
i will use the IPON 1998 clip (from this site), i will just show a 20sec of it, for syncro.

then, i will just use the 20sec ending of Panzera 2004, demonstration for a intense final

i will post the complete work when i'm ready

Posted: Nov 19, 2004 18:43:41

Enkil,

I think that if you show those clips, you'll have your fellow classmates so into the clips!

I can imagine them saying "MORE, MORE!!!!!" Like us during this summer when the finales were going!

Anyways, please keep me informed. It sure looks like your project is coming along quite nicely.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Nov 19, 2004 21:31:34

Perphas someone can help me on this one

like I said the "Pyrotechnic show" section is done

as for the "fireworks section"

i almost understand everything about how a shell works

for this, we draw a shell on a paperboard (pancarte) thats show how it goes up and the composants, how it works... this is my partner's job to explain

but i'd like to add something important to talk about, instead of the operation and composants? but what?

Posted: Nov 20, 2004 09:27:57

Jeeze, I think I should start familiarizing the composition of certain types of fireworks.

I'm hoping to learn all the terminology and chemistry by next year's competition.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 15:15:30

Paul,

I talked with my Chemistry teacher today, he said a shell in french is called "cartouche"

Smoke,

don't know I'll teach u!!

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 16:22:34

Enkil,

Perhaps he was refering to the literal term? Maybe he corresponded to a typical shell, like a sea shell, not the fireworks term, or did you specify this to him?

As for the fireworks terminology identification, I'm hoping that I become more familiar with them. I think I would have more fun in a display when I'm trying to identify certain types of fireworks!

Trav.

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 16:36:53

Yes, i specified him in a fireworks term, i told him a billion time if he was sure, my science teacher was there at that time, he agreed too

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 18:49:09

Enkil,

If both of your science teachers say "cartouche," then that's what it is.

It's too bad the project wasn't in English. It would've been a lot easier to help you out with the terminology!

BTW, we're almost into December already! Time is going! January is the new schedule! Definitely many things coming up!

Trav.

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 19:06:58

No-one I know in the fireworks business who speaks French calls a shell a cartouche - it is always "bombe". I think a cartouche is probably an artillery shell used in warfare since the translation I saw of this term is "cartridge". Tell your teachers to look at this forum if they want the correct answer!

Paul.

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 19:12:44

OMG, your right!

damn!! I can't believe how fast it passed!! u know Smoke, December will come fast since Christmas vacation is coming and u know how fast that comes in

after Christmas, we enter January! new schedule!!!

althro, last year the new schedule was posted on January 29

btw, my presentation is next Thrusday, I'm making my final touches on the "pancarte", then ill have to learn the texts, but I still need to search a bit more info about fireworks, say something important...
ill post everthing on my findings here

also, i might take this project to "Expo science" which happens the last days of January (same as the schedule date)
if you win this competition, u go to Vancouver, i think something like that... or u win something else, dunno
i didnt want to participate, personally i dont like these kind of events, but my partner insisted... so im doing it for him
and the 5 points bonus on our report card but i still wouldnt do it if it wants for him
ill do my best thro

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 19:19:31

lol Paul,
i will print ure msg and show it to him

Posted: Nov 24, 2004 20:13:54

Enkil,

Definitely print what Paul said! Just say "bombe." I thought cartouche sounded kind of funny! Imagine saying "Ca c'est une cartouche"

Anyways, yes, time has been slipping by, especially when there's plenty to do and you're always occupied. I also remember you saying the exact same thing last year around this time. Wasn't it just the other day I was downloading your video back in early September? Remember the time when we were debating the Pygama Fireworks show? Waht about that big thunderstorm in August? So many things happened to us since then!

As for your presentation and project, I'm sure you'll do fine. Are you good at speaking? Just present your project with a descent intro and then go to the facts and terminology. I can help you construct your presentation if you'd like. Just tell me all the concepts that you're going to cover and I'll help you organize them. And for the "Expo Science," go for it! If it means 5 bonus points, then do it! Plus, your partner is insisting, right? Regarding the prize...........Do you like Vancouver? It would be nice to go there at this time of the year since the climate is less harsh and plus, it's warmer at this time.

As I've said earlier, I just did my presentation on initial weather interpretations in the 60's vs. todays. My presentation seemed to be a real success since by argument was strong and concretely expressed, along with supportive pictures, too. The class seemed to be intrigued when I demonstrated a lightning simulation with some lightning pictures. I will show you the link when I find it again. They're quite impressive the way they form within the cloud base and to the ground with a direct charge!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Nov 25, 2004 13:41:07

Kewl...

Smoke, thx for offering your help, but most of the project is ready

i will post everything when the time is right, ill do a website for it durning Christmas

as for the cartouche and bombe

i showed the msg Paul posted lol
he said thats fine, he said use the word "bombe" in fireworks term
i guess he realized it came from a pyrotechnician

anyways, i needed the right word cause i have to write it on my "pancarte"
. 1 . 2 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020