Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› What exactly are "Nautical Effects?"
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 5, 2005 16:50:44

Hey there,

Well, I just want to know what they look like. I've noticed that Fred and Paul mentioned the concept several times in their reports, but I still have no clue what they are.

However, when I hear "nautical," for some reason, my thoughts turn to "water." That's my best educated guess.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 5, 2005 17:47:49

Trav,

Your guess is a good one! According to the glossary available on this website, a nautical effect is a generic term which means "firework launched into water and then floats on surface".

The nautical strobes, that is, a small light star on the surface, are probably the most common (and simple). As the viewers located at La Ronde has seen last Saturday, there are also nautical fountain and nautical mines. The latter is spectacular since the explosion is closer to the audience than the mines which are located on the regular firing ramps.

I suggest you to go on the official website of L'International des feux Loto-Québec, then select the short videoclip of the Canadian display produced by Royal Pyrotechnie in 2003. In the last seconds of this segment, we can see a lot of blue nautical mines on the lake.

Fred

Posted: Jul 6, 2005 09:39:29

Alright, thx, Fred.

I was also surprised that my guess was fairly accurate, but it makes sense.

I remember those blue nautical mines from that clip for Canada that year, but I'm still not too clear on what "strobes" are. Do you think you can help me out on this one? Also, maybe you can tell me what they sort of look like?

Thanks for all the help!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 6, 2005 10:41:29

Strobe stars flash on and off with distinct, bright flashes. Strobe "pots" or lances (or, for that matter, nautical strobes) have the same effect but they're not flying through the sky. They're called strobes because the effect is a bit like a strobe light. In the UK, they're called "blinkers" because they "blink" on and off.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 6, 2005 14:51:00

Those of you who choose not to be in the Silver Section or front and centre inside La Ronde continue to miss a good percentage of most competetions. I believe it was Mr. Bastian earlier this spring, on this forum, who stated the many benefits of seeing the same thing as the judges in order to speak intelligently about each entry. I've noticed several times already this season that those of you that watch from out-of-park locations never mention many of the lower level things that happen from ramps three and five and in the lake.

So then, GET INSIDE THE PARK!!

Posted: Jul 6, 2005 15:03:01

That's because those of us oustside the park can barely see what happens on ramps 3 and 5, no doubt.

Paul, thanks for your explanation.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 7, 2005 05:21:00

I agree with Mr. Anonymous, how can a true review/report of the show be given without seeing the display in its entirity. People outside the park are missing too much of the display to give an true account of the display.

If you are not in the park watching the show, you should not be giving a review of the show.

Eugene

Posted: Jul 7, 2005 05:49:57   Edited by: fredbastien

Hi everyone,

As Mr. Anonymous said, I had already explained in this forum that an important part of the show is often at the lowest level, and this is especially true since the beginning of the 2005 season. I strongly recommend to all fanatics to go inside La Ronde, in the Silver Section or just behind, on the central path of the park. Purchasing tickets for many displays is expensive, but the season pass (which give an access to the park, so to the central path) is more affordable.

However, we must understand that some people can't go inside the park, whatever the reason. I believe that participants to this forum who view the show from an outside place deserve our respect and should feel free to discuss here about the displays. Anyway, when they write a report, they regularly give details about what was their point of view. In consequence, the readers can interpret their opinions with this piece of information in mind.

Moreover, I would find interesting to read in this forum more reports and opinions from people who watch the show from La Ronde. Sometimes, I feel that only Paul and me are at La Ronde... and I am sure that is not the case! So, share your comments with us!

Fred

Posted: Jul 7, 2005 09:11:11   Edited by: Smoke

Guys,

We must also understand that there are FAR more people outside La Ronde than there are inside. I think the maximum capacity for which it can hold is 33,000 people. Trust me, there's way more than that outside La Ronde, especially on popular streets, like Notre Dame and De Lorimier. Also, I'm pretty certain that folks on the other side of the bridge can see a good portion of the lower effects.

If you read the page just before you enter the forum, it says "Write what you saw," not "Write what you saw only if you're at La Ronde." Of course, the vast majority of people cannot see everything that goes on according to what viewers at La Ronde perceive, but that definitely does not mean that this vast majority cannot make comments. Once again, that's like saying that everyone in La Ronde are only allowed to have opinions, where as the others are just blunt and didn't see anything. That's also like saying that everyone outside LaRonde should go and cram themselves up at La Ronde just to give an opinion. Where's the logic there?

Sure, it's to your advantage to see the show from La Ronde, there's no doubt there, but, as Fred clearly said, we must respect others who can't go to La Ronde for whatever reason, like me. We must also understand that many people view outside La Ronde for convenience. Also, as Fred said, it's nice to get an opinion from other view points.

In conclusion, I think you can comment on a display regardless of where you are, though you may not see all the lower effects, but keep in mind that the lower effects in the displays are not there throughout the entire show. There's so much more to comment on. In simple terms, comment only on what you saw. You honestly can't take that privilege away from anyone.

And Fred, I'm more than certain that you and Paul are not the only ones there!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019