Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Thunderstorm vs. Fireworks
Last poster Message

Posted: May 8, 2008 12:50:45   Edited by: Smoke

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share an interesting video of a thunderstorm occurring at the same time with a small fireworks display - two displays in one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euz4n_uTH5M

This reminds me a lot of what happened during the Canadian display of 1995 at our competition, though the storm during that particular display at that time was far more fearsome than what was shown in this video - the rain was really heavy, the cloud of smoke was massive and there was lightning flashing every 4-5 seconds - a real night to remember for those of us who were there. lol The most vicious thunderstorms that have taken place during any display that I remember over the last 18 years were during U.S.A 2002, Italy 1994 and especially Canada 1995. England of last year almost got one as well, but this stayed away to the East.

I am predicting a fairly warm Summer from June to most of September, though also wetter than normal during each of these months merely because of the moderate-strong La Nina that is in place - we'll see how that turns out. Of course, let's hope that no displays are affected by rains and thunderstorms this coming season.

Trav.

Posted: May 9, 2008 01:54:25

hi i saw a video in youtube that also has lightning and fireworks! I was in that display when it happened but i dont have a video cam so i wasn't able to record it so i looked for it in youtube! it's just short glimpse of what was happening! it comes around 10 - 11 seconds of the timeline! enjoy! its synched with the breaks hahaha!!

vander

Posted: May 9, 2008 12:44:10   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Vander,

I think when I was looking through several of the related videos of lightning and fireworks together, I came across the one you are describing. lol If that's the one, then yeah, it was pretty cool! It would also be really neat if we could find the Canadian display of 1995 at our competition with all the heavy rain and lightning! Italy 1994 had some massive red veins of lightning all over the place (both close and in the far distance) and streak lightning that appeared to be moving right over the fireworks site! I remember taking shelter under the bridge, but I also remember some of the fireworks going off early at around 9:30 while the rain was coming down heavily. Claws of lightning also were present just behind and over the fireworks while the display was occurring as well. I also found it amusing to find videos of Canada Day fireworks associated with thunderstorms on Youtube.

Regarding heavy thunderstorm potential this year in Eastern North America, I'm under the suspicion that we may have a good chance to see some big ones here this coming Summer - again for reasons that are related to the unique La Nina that is present. Temperatures are a little more uncertain, but though I did say we could see a warm Summer, there's also a fair possibility that it could turn out to be a couple degrees Celsius below normal on average for each Summer month. That said, I'm going to go ahead and say that average Summer temperatures this season will be near normal for the most part along with some invasions of hot air masses in between. I still stand firmly with my precip. prediction, though.

Trav.

Posted: May 10, 2008 11:52:32   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

Whooops!! looks like SOMEONE forgot to post the link!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=pzQQ4qoupnc theres the link haha!!

vander

Posted: May 10, 2008 16:41:33

^^^

Yeah, that's the one I saw. lol

This was another neat one during a Canada Day display. You'll see the lightning flash at about 17 seconds in the clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bht7EENANnQ&feature=related

Trav.

Posted: May 3, 2009 16:39:34   Edited by: Smoke

Hey guys,

I had recently found another video on YouTube that has a fireworks display going on together with a strong thunderstorm in the background, and so wanted to share it. The fireworks display isn't all that active overall, unfortunately, but is still something to behold when coupled with the frightening thundercloud hanging close to the region. The little finale of the display ends at about 4:04 in the video. Be sure to watch it in high quality. I hope you like the vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8EwJ-PCYIw&feature=related

I believe this storm is a part of a multicell thunderstorm complex given its lightning frequency, which is indicative of moderate windshear with height.
---
Spring-Summer prediction:

On the subject, I did promise, as I do every late Spring, a little prediction of what we could possibly expect for the remainder of this season into Summer in terms of weather. Examining some ENSO (El Nino Southern Oscillation) models from the National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration (NOAA), their corresponding National Weather Service, and our Environment Canada, currently, there is a relatively persistent weak La Nina churning in the equatorial Pacific and is dissipating as we progress into this month into a more neutral state. The effects of both La Nina and El Nino are clearly less pronounced in Canada during Summer than they are in Winter, but neutral phases generally mean a typical Summer across most of North America. With a mild El Nino signature slowly building in, however, some models suggest a normal to above normal Summer in terms of temperature for most of Canada, including us here in Southern Quebec. Precipitation, on the other hand, could follow an opposing trend by tracing below normal patterns - this is the case in a number of regions of Canada, including, again, us. My mind is somewhat in a contradictory state for the latter as an overall warm Summer has a tendency to heighten the regular number of days for convection, which brings in more precipitation - this has been the case during April and looks to be the same for May as well. Finally, some of the models revealed that Southern Ontario, Southern Quebec and out West into Alberta and Saskatchewan, could see a fair frequency in thunderstorm activity, a number of which could reach severe criteria - we commonly see one to two severe t-storms per Spring-Summer.

Anyhow, that's what we could possibly expect for the remainder of Spring into Summer. With the fireworks occuring only once per week, this may diminish the average number of displays affected by threatening weather, though that's not necessarily the case. In any event, with good spirit, I'm sure that the majority of displays, as usual, will be safe when ready to fire at 10:00 p.m.

Take care, everyone,

Trav.

P.S. Look forward to the fireworks!

Posted: May 10, 2009 04:31:16

Seems like God performed his fireworks too!

Posted: May 12, 2009 16:26:15

^^^

Indeed. God puts on spectacular fireworks displays as well, trust me.

Trav.

Posted: Aug 29, 2010 00:13:27

Impressive lightning captures during a fireworks display in Nanaimo, B.C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1SriIrtjHo

And a brief video of the July 17th early evening thunderstorm in Montreal (the same evening the American display was scheduled to fire) illustrating two massive lightning bolts striking Mount Royal, the second of which hits the antenna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNX6BWcUxxA

Trav.

Posted: Jul 15, 2015 01:24:39

Page loading time (sec.): 0.026