Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Which Show to See?
Last poster Message

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 10:49:00

Greetings to my fellow Montreal pyroenthusiasts.

It's that time of year again when our family chooses which show to attend. It's usually not that difficult, but for some reason this year I feel the need to get some input from my forum friends.

We have traveled from Philadelphia to see at least one show a year for several years and have talked it up so much that this year we're bringing several families along with us.

At first, we were HUGELY excited about a 45 minute (then changed to 50 minute) closing show, and immediately declared that this is the display that we were going to see. Then they announced which company was doing it and our hearts sank. We attended Concept Fiatlux's show in 2006 and were very disappointed. I recently reviewed everyone's reviews in this forum and was reminded how their style just isn't what we're looking for in a fireworks display. I'll never forget the feeling I had when read through the original press release and it contained words like "monochromatic" and "tragic finale." The reviews were very mixed, and very definite. You either really liked it, or really didn't. We were in the "really didn't" camp.

I'm not afraid to say it . . . we're American and really like the big, bold, loud style over the understated, pensive and minimalist displays. Again, having read the reviews, it's clear that there are many who appreciate Concept Fiatlux's style, they're just not for us.

So, having said all this, the Melrose display on Aug. 1st is the obvious choice, but we may have some scheduling issues. Pains is just too early in the season for us to come up, and it seems that Foti would be a good choice, if it wasn't over the 4th of July holiday (I'm in the process of getting my pyrotechnic license and plan on actually shooting fireworks that day instead of watching them).

So! I'm looking for assistance from those who know best! Please share your thoughts and suggestions on which company will put on a fireworks display that will send chills down our spines and leave us breathless!

Thanks!
Chris

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 13:37:17   Edited by: fredbastien

Since Pains is too early (as well as the previous opening and Igual's displays), 4th of July doesn't fit with your schedule and the closing show ruled out, there are five other nights. I suggest to avoid Pyromagic (Hong Kong) because its last show would not have meet what you expect (big, bold, loud style) from a display. I would say to choose between the four remaining diplays. Fuegos Jupiter Artificiales, Royal Pyrotechnie, Melrose and Fireworks for Africa should be very interesting for you... and me!

BTW: Did you attend to the Portuguese show last summer, as you wrote in this forum a couple of days before that display? How did you like it?

Fred

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 16:04:52

Fred,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. We went to both the Portuguese and American shows last year . . . and loved them both!

We had been waiting for an opportunity to see Portugal for several years since it always seemed like they were pushing the envelope and trying to do some really different things. I will never forget the opening to the "Mission Impossible" segment. I, like many people on the forum, was in shock when they were not on the podium.

"Rock Loves" was very special. Not to be too overdramatic about it, but in some very real ways, "Rock Loves" brought about some changes in my life. The combination of fireworks with classic rock was the greatest thing I've ever seen. We made plans to go see it the moment the theme was introduced, even though it was a Wednesday show. Since we have to travel so far, we don't generally consider the Wednesday shows, but knew we had to see this one. We certainly were not disappointed!

By the way, I had a chance to be with some of the Pyrotecnico guys a couple of weeks ago, and they said that the final barrage for "Rock Loves" contained 1,000 salutes.

Chris

Posted: Apr 7, 2009 23:00:12

Hey Chris,

I also recommend that you consider on attending Australia's display, along side with Fred's other recommendations. Foti often has, in my mind at least, a tendency to integrate some powerful segments (finale included) into their displays at Montreal. Problem is that this display happens to fall on Independence Day, so I guess that's out.

Other than that, even up till now do I feel so disappointed that Portugal did not secure a place on that podium last Summer - I sincerely hope that the results for future editions of this competition (including this coming Summer) would not be so surprising. Portugal had the full package in their performance last year, and knowing that they didn't win anything for it saddens me deeply (same idea with Sweden of 2005).

Like you (as well as the vast majority of people, I'm sure), I also love vehemence in a typical fireworks display, and for me, the top three satisfying that aspect the best last year were the U.S, Portugal and Australia! If you want to see the list of my most memorable finales, I can always provide you with the link (I'm positive that you've seen it already, though).

With respect to the closing display, I, too, am disappointed that Panzera is not traditionally presenting it this Summer. I posed the question before, but does anyone know why Concept Fiatlux should present the closing ceremony over Panzera? Again, I'm just not confident in their ability to deliver a sufficiently powerful climax, especially since it is going to conclude the 25th anniversary! The other aspect that I don't really care for is that the award ceremony is held separately from the closing display this year, which sort of takes away the traditional excitement and hype of figuring out the winners before looking forward to a fresh 30 minute closing. I like the old fashioned way where everything is held together!

Of course, I am hoping for cooperating weather this Summer (like, ironically, in 2004, during the 20th anniversary). However, the presence of accumulating snow, at present time, sickens me to my stomach, especially seeing it well into April. Anyhow, I'll provide a Summer outlook by early May.

Take care, and hope you enjoy whatever displays you choose to attend!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.020