Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Vote for The Monster
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 17:02:36

Six Flags are having a tournament to determine the best rollercoaster in their parks. The Monster and El Toro (a similar coaster at their New Jersey park) are facing off. You can vote for either by going here: http://www.facebook.com/sixflags

I just voted for The Monster - still the largest double-track wooden roller coaster in the world

Paul.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 19:46:15   Edited by: fredbastien

Thank you for this entertaining info, Paul! Unfortunately, I can't cast a vote because I don't have my face in the book... As you know, I'm a coaster fan and it is my opinion that Le Monstre is really a great wooden. I also rode El Toro last year. That ride is absolutely awesome! But its woody nature is a little controversial since this coaster doesn't feature some characteristics of wooden roller coasters: though the structure is obviously made of wood, the track and the trains are completely unusual and the feeling is similar to some other Intamin's steel roller coasters. Le Monstre is one of my favorite wooden coasters, likely my second choice following The Beast at Kings Island, the world longest wooden roller coaster... mostly hidden in the forest! Amazing!

For the American entrant, I may wear my El Toro t-shirt next Saturday... Or my Rock Loves one. Maybe the former would be more appropriate for Melrose's night!

Fred

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 20:03:15   Edited by: Enkil

Haha, even though the Monster is underrated outside of Montreal, El Toro should easily beat it. I'd be surprised if it doesn't. The Monster is only a classic from the 80s. Such an old fun ride!

Speaking of coasters, we're getting a new one next season! It will either be a family coaster (families = more $ ) or thrill coaster (haven't had a new one since Goliath). It's not clear! It will probably be a used coaster. I don't think we deserve a new one!

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 21:34:17

Yeah, there are some marks scattered on the ground in the Village area, around the Tea cups ride and L'Auberge, a building currently home to the Salon des artificiers. I suppose that the new ride may be located in this area...

Fred

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 21:41:41

Oh no! Don't say they're going to demolish the Salon des artificiers

Paul.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 11:43:07

Hey Paul,

I sure did vote for the Monster, that ride never gets old. I find that Track 2 is the original and classic track from the dual track rollercoaster. It is defenitley rough. They should add coushions. Next time I'm thinking of bringing my pillow.

And apparentley Fred is right. There are marks.

Enkil, I'd love a floorless, diving or flying coaster from B&M (the same manufacturer who constructed Le Vampire and Le Goliath. We deserve the tallest coaster in Canada. Because we have fireworks, more rides than Canada's Wonderland. We are alot better than Wonderland. No offense to those who live in Ontario

Monster FTW.

Pat

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 12:53:16

I voted for the Monster. I think the most memorable moment for me on that ride was back in 1995. At the time, when the ride was being lifted to the summit, we could see that a strong thunderstorm was closing in the area, making the ride feel even more grand and epic, especially since this took place around dusk. Once we got off, most of the rides were closed due to torrential downpours and, of course, lightning.

I had a great time that day.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 13:14:06   Edited by: Saluteness

Did you video tape the thunderstorm that night Trav? You were lucky enough to get the last ride. I remember there was a huge storm and people went on the Monster. My dad went with my brother, and I waited for them with my cousin at the exit. I got lost and I walked around La Ronde and stopped in front of the Dragon. When I heard the music, I was horrified. I turned around and there was my dad. This happened around 9 years ago when I was like 7.

The first time I went on the Monster, I was also 7. After the second drop I was lifting off my seat (due to my skinniness ), and my dad held me down on my seat. That was when belts were not added to the ride but only lapbar restraints. And as the ride went on it's 360 up's and downs, I felt we were going to crash . But no worries, I got off safely. It's a really rough ride.

Pat

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 14:03:23

Saluteness,

There's no place for a floorless, diving or flying coaster at La Ronde, unless if they put it on the lake (but let's not go there). I think the new one will partly go over the lake.

La Ronde is small compared to other amusement parks. The only noteworthy rides are Monster, Vampire and Goliath, which isn't even a decent hyper coaster. We once had the tallest coaster in Canada, and it didn't really help the attendance. Why add another one? La Ronde needs more family rides, etc.

We may have an international fireworks competition, but I don't like the way they run this park!

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 14:04:43

"Did you video tape the thunderstorm that night Trav?"

Unfortunately, no. Plus, I think you're supposed to leave behind all of your belongings (backpacks, etc.) before you set foot on the ride.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to get the last ride that fine evening - I don't think most people were even aware of the quickly changing weather, or else the rides would have been closed off well ahead of time. The storm did make for quite the experience, though.

I first went on the Monster in July 1991. Sounds like you had quite the experience, Pat.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 15:08:10

I think you're supposed to leave behind all of your belongings (backpacks, etc.) before you set foot on the ride.

Actually there are numerous people who post videos of the rides at La Ronde on YouTube which is why there are so many videos out there.

Search for any rollercoaster at La Ronde and you'll find it!

Pat

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 15:43:01

Le Monstre would not be fun to film, or actually to watch, way too shaky !!!

I posted a movie of the Goliath 2 years ago (i think...)

If you search something like 'La Ronde Full video Goliath', it should bring you to it. My user name was Salvapower and it last 2 minutes.

Sorry i cant post the link, as i cant access youtube at work...

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 22:18:55   Edited by: fredbastien

Oh no! Don't say they're going to demolish the Salon des artificiers

Paul, I'm afraid that they are, but I'm not sure. I have read a post in another forum a couple of weeks ago (Xtreme La Ronde, or La Ronde Thrillzone) that the Tea Cup ride would be relocated toward the center of the park and two buildings would be demolished. We can see some marks through the building home to the first Salon des artificiers in 2002, which is now used for La Catapulte, I believe. So the buildings to be removed may be closer to La Catapulte or behind the Tea Cup ride. However, to remove L'Auberge would create more room for the new ride. It would be a shame to lost this nice building, not only for the Salon des artificiers, but also for the look of this area.

Another great spot for the Salon des artificiers was the German pub, located within the miniature golf, close to the Jupiter building. The pub was also demolished (in 2005) to make room for Goliath.

Fred

Posted: Jul 31, 2009 23:37:34

Six Flags' page on Facebook now states that Le Monstre leads 64%-36% over El Toro. It seems that the "real" wooden roller coaster will win this round!

Fred

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 12:09:42

Indeed Fred, Le Monstre won ! 68%-32%

We are now going to the semi-finales of wooden coasters. Stay tune to vote again between August 24th and August 30th, where le Monstre will be facing either
Batwing (from Six Flags America, close to Washington D.C.) or le Nitro (de Great Adventure, New Jersey)

Good luck !

Page loading time (sec.): 0.018