Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› An invitation for a good cause from a fireworks fa
Last poster Message

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 15:53:23   Edited by: QuebecExpress

Hi,

My name is Patrick and a big fireworks fan. From 2003 to 2008, I have been to 58 shows in a row from La Ronde silver section! I know that this forum is supposed to be about pyrotechnics, but as a co-pyro-lover I wish to send you a little invitation.

In october, I and a few people working at Ste-Justine Hospital will attempt to climb TWO mountains of over 6000m in Bolivia, mount Acotango (6052 meters) and Mount Sajama (6548 meters). The objective is to raise 100000$ for the Ste-Justine Hospital Foundation in Montréal.

The adress for our website is www.defibolivie2010.org (or http://www.defibolivie2010.org/indexen.html) where you can find informations on the expedition, who we are and how to make a donation should you wish to do so. We will also have many fundraising activies during the months leading to the expedition, including an opening show on october 23. Details on upcomming activities also appear on the website.

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 19:42:08

Hey Patrick,

What a coincedence that my name is also Patrick. But I'm known as Pat on this forum (aside from the numerous Patrick's on this forums. . I wish you and your team good luck climbing. I wouldn't be able to attend. Flights cost a fortune nowadays. Plus, I don't have the money. I'm glad there are people who try to help raise money for hospitals. It's for a good cause.

Have fun!
Pat

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 22:04:59

Hi Pat,

Many thanks for taking the time reading this!

Just to make myself clear, unfortunately we cant invite any more people to climb with us.

However, for those interested in our project and in the cause, apart from making direct donations, you can come to our many fundraising activities of all kinds. There, you can meet us and have fun! Of course I strongly encourage you to spread the word about it too

Patrick

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 22:37:20

Hi Patrick,

What you're attempting to do is very inspiring. Climbing not one, but two really tall mountains (these mountains are amongst some of the tallest in the world) is certainly a tough challenge. To put altitude into perspective here, the heights of those mountains are roughly 25 to nearly 30 times the height of Mount Royal and extend to the level where high level cirrus clouds commonly develop. The level of oxygen is also very low particularly beyond 18, 000 feet due to the much lower exerted atmospheric pressure (about half the pressure that is found at sea level exists at that elevation) - it's rather fascinating that half of the atmosphere is contained from the Earth's surface to 18,000 feet above. I know you're obviously familiar with all of this, but I just thought it was interesting to share it anyway.

I wish you the best of luck in conquering your challenge and reaching your goal to collect $100,000. Please keep us informed as to how things turn out - I'm really, really interested to hear about your experience.

Trav.

Posted: Sep 12, 2009 22:27:31

Hi Trav,

Thanks for your really encouraging comments. Actually, I found your observations very interesting! As you say, it really put things into perspective

As for keeping you informed, in addition to our official website, previously mentionned, we also started a blog on "Le Grand Club RDS" at http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/Defi_Bolivie_2010/posts

There we will post stories on our training as well as suggestions of destinations for mountain hiking, either local or outside of Canada and for all level of fitness. There will be plenty of pictures too!

I'll certainly come back on the forum to post some updates on our progress. Anyway I need my pyro-news too!

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021