Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2004 Display Reviews —› Competition proper will start with a bang
Last poster Message

Posted: Jun 17, 2004 14:01:00

After an absence from the competition for the past three years, Spain, represented this coming Saturday by Pirotécnia Igual, look like they will open the competition-proper with a bang.

I passed by the firing site today and, with two days still to go, I observer that there are 15 (fifteen) firing positions set up on ramp two, massive amounts of 6" and 8" shells (and up) and ramp 1 and nothing much yet on ramps 3 and 4. This is an indicator that most of the work has been setting up the other lager calibre firing ramps. I've often seen displays with only three or five positions on ramp 2 so this gives and indication how large this display is going to be.

Aficionados of Spanish fireworks look like they're in for a treat!

Paul.

Posted: Jun 17, 2004 19:43:43

Paul,

I know how much I've been telling you how much I love Spain and ever since you posted the new schedule, let alone since the last time I saw Spain 3 years ago, I couldn't get it out of my head since then.

I know, with my experience from viewing Igual in the past, that they always put on a good show. As you say, the display looks big and I know Pirotechnia Igual won't dissapoint us! They're one of my biggest favourites in the history of the competition, not to mention my dream firm.

The Spanish will light the skies of Montreal, like there's no tomorrow and they will make us leave shaking, like in 2001. They really know how to excite an audience with their authentic displays.

Paul, I can really guarantee you that they'll show us what the art of fireworks is really all about and take it to the next level. I'm sure that we won't be dissapointed. You remember what they did back in 2001, right? I have a feeling that they'll do the same, or then again, maybe even bigger than 3 years ago.

It's also a big treat to also get Pirotechnia Caballer, as well, this year. We really are spoilt!

SPAIN ALL THE WAY!!!!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 18, 2004 18:32:19

i have a question, Paul

since ure saying this will be huge

did budget get a boost this year?

Posted: Jun 18, 2004 22:40:52

Not that I'm aware of. However, remember that the majority of the competitiors this year, Igual included, are manufacturers of fireworks. This makes a big difference! A large shell that might have a retail price of, say, $150 in Canada, may only have a raw cost of $15 to the company that made it. This means that a fixed budget can go a lot further if you're a manufacturer, compared to a company in Canada that has to import, pay the taxes etc. etc.

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Jun 19, 2004 06:50:39   Edited by: Smoke

Paul,

I also have a question.

Since this year is unique and every competitor is trying to outdo one another for the prestigious and honourable award to mark 20 years of the competition-the Platinum Jupiter, don't you think it will be hard for the judges to judge every display, since all of them will possibly be very very tight, and the fact that there's only one award this year?

Well, I guess you have to take into consideration that everyone may have a distinct advantage over another, giving them an upper hand in certain parts of the evaluation criteria, like synchronization, use of the lake, etc.

All I can say is that we can expect a lot of dissapointment this year.

My next question is did each firm spend a surplus of money this year on their fireworks, regardless if some of them are manufacturers? I'm aware that each firm is given $75,000 to pay for pyrotechnic material, like it describes in the information section, but this was an estimate for 1999. Are these figures higher this year?

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.027