Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2004 Display Reviews —› Weco Pyrotechnische Fabrik (Germany) Reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 24, 2004 19:32:36

Greetings,

As always, post your reviews on this topic, after you've all gotten back, if possible!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 24, 2004 22:55:08

no finale.

Posted: Jul 25, 2004 03:09:35

so how was it?

i was very close to get there, but it was aleady 9:50pm when we were getting back from US, on Champain bridge

Posted: Jul 25, 2004 07:19:13   Edited by: Smoke

Unfortunately, I, too, wasn't able to attend the show because I was in Ottawa and got back too late.

Enkil, it's pretty ironic that, like you, it was also around 9:50, when I got back in Montreal, but there was no way I could get to De Lorimier in time. There was simply too much traffic on the adjacent streets and plus, it was too far to walk. By the time I were to get there, the display would be over.

I was trying to get my family to leave early, but they wouldn't listen. By the time we left Ottawa, it was already almost 8:00. We really tried, but no way. It takes almost 1/2-2 hours to get back to Montreal and plus, you'll time to get parking and walk.

Anyways, from what I hear, so far, it wasn't an intense show, so I don't feel that bad. This year, we had a lack of intense finales, for the 20th anniversary! The only ones that were intense, were definitely Italy and Spain (Caballer) and maybe Japan's, too. The others were just not long or strong enough. Spain's ending alone felt like all of the other endings combined!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 25, 2004 09:42:57

Well, despite Satch's thumbs down and grumble about there being no finale, I'm afraid I can't agree. It was a very impressive display, but you really had to be at La Ronde to appreciate it and how well done the music was. Whilst the finale might not have been like a classic finale, it was, in fact, very well done and fitted perfectly with the music. A truly special display which deserves great praise regardless of the outcome of the competition this year. I'll post my summary and predication in a day or two.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 25, 2004 17:23:26

Paul,

I guess you're right about the display being special, but I can't say this because I didn't see it. However, from what I read in your report, it sounded great and unique, especially the live music performance, which is very different. This must make it a strong display and up there for winning standards, with some others.

However, this is just me, but an intense finale is what gives you that feeling and mood to a typical display. It's also what everyone looks foward to the most in any display, I'm sure. Don't get me wrong, I know an intense finale isn't everything in a display and that it isn't a major contributor in the evaluation criteria to the judges, but it does give a lot of excitement and climax to the overall display, which is important to the public, in my opinion. The main thing about an intense ending, is that it leaves you breathless and something for you to remember.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 26, 2004 09:35:05

Hi,
I was away last week so I missed France. But I don't regret it that much after reading all the reviews. I did get to see China and Germany though, and was extremely pleased.

This is my review of Germany.
Overall, it was very well done.

Two things were lacking: intensity thorough the show, and their finale cannot be compared to Ipon and Caballer. But that did not take the gasps away from the audience, because people seemed to be amazed at the double ascension fireworks and especially the cathedral and the cascade at the very end. That was perhaps the highlight of the show. It fitted perfectly with the music. And the fact that they managed to synchronize it all with a live orchestra... that's beyond me. How did they pull it off that well???

There were some narration during the display, but not as long as Caballer. The show was a nice tribute to Cologne and Montreal, although I heard some people around me saying it was a kiss-ass thing to use the canadian anthem... I don't really agree with them.

WECO did a tremendous job at creating a unique show for the competition. And I think they deserve some recognition.

Now I'm really looking forward to know who the judges will pick as the ultimate winner... and I certainly can't wait for Panzera's closing display!

Posted: Jul 26, 2004 12:14:56

It's certainly true. The live band performance is a very different and original type scenario. which has never been scene in Montreal in the history of the competition. I have a feeling that this will give them the upper hand.

I guess the only problem was the finale and the lack of intensity. All in all, a very strong chance of winning, depite these minor criticisms!

It's a shame that I did not make it! I was in Ottawa and I got in downtown on Ville-Marie too late.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 26, 2004 19:01:12

Smoke,

its quite a coincidence that both of us were close to get there, if only we would have been on the road earlier

now, i dont know about u, but im the little one in my family, so my voice can hardly be heard! even if i told them to go earlier, they wouldnt listen (althro i didnt want to say that, cuz we went to Lake George for my aunt... u know)

anyways, but something surprising came out when i went to Niagara Falls yesturday

apperently, every Friday and Sunday nights, near the falls, they do fireworks (its about a 10min show)

alot of crazy things happened yesturday, but i was close to miss this show
becuz me and my sisters got lost, we were trying to find the motel hour lol
so we walked and walked, an hour later, we finally found my mom, my aunt and the motel, and walked again, near the falls

i went crazy cuz i had the opportunity to watch this (and to see how bad it was comparing to ours), so i just walked very fast, and got there

the moment i walk into the crowd, the fireworks begon

i went crazy for a 10min show, all we watched was the same explosions

the only thing i like, was the final lol, it was a BIT long, but not intensive (at all, lol)

if u would have seen it, u would see how lucky we r to live here

Posted: Jul 27, 2004 10:34:48

In my oppinion Weco did the best show i've seen overhere

It was a great theme, beautyfull products and there was a continous flow through the show like Royals last year. So because of the high estetic level this is my favourite (but sunny is close behind). But like paul mentioned, you almost had to be there to also expirience the live orchestrea for the total expirience...

Gonna be exciting wednesday

Regarding the salutes in the end being from Ipon - why didn't i go to their show also

Greetings,
Lars

Posted: Jul 27, 2004 11:52:07   Edited by: Smoke

It's a real shame that I couldn't be there to see the live performance band! I really wish I was, but I this close to being there!

From what I hear, read and saw in video clips, I could tell that it was a display that was well choreographed and extremely well designed! It's also good to hear that it the orchestra worked very well along with the fireworks! From what I gather, so far, this could be up there, espeically with this new feature!

And yes, Enkil, you're right. We are very lucky and privileged to be living and witnissing the most extravagant fireworks competition in the world! It's absolutely great! It's also a big coincidence that we both were almost there!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jun 14, 2014 20:57:55   Edited by: fredbastien

One decade after last Weco's award-winning show in Montreal, I find interesting to bring back this old thread and to read what people wrote at the time. First, it was a shame that long-time posters Smoke and Enkil missed the show. While two posters emphasized the lack of intensity, most ratings were very good or excellent. "The best show I've seen over here" wrote Lars.

The late journalist Georges Lamon, who had been journalist at La Presse and at the time continued to report the fireworks displays on a personal website which is no longer online, began his review by these paragraphs (in French):

"C’était Wunderbar! Les artificiers de Weco Feuerwerk derniers concurrents de cette Coupe du monde SAQ ont émerveillé par leur originalité. Avec ces astucieux allemands on dépassait dorénavant les frontières du traditionnel, du classique pyromusical.

Une démonstration de prestige illustrée par un choix judicieux de pièces pyrotechniques emportées par une musique classique interprétée par un orchestre sur place en direct. Un feu vivant , entraînant , qui a aussi su jouer de finesse par l’apport de pièces particulières comme ces fleurs tournant sur le lac des Dauphins en changeant du blanc au vert et au doré, ces soucoupes à double ascension, ces moulins virevoltant impeccablement.
"

Paul, who wrote 42 pages of notes during the display, concluded his review by stating that it "was a fabulous display". In his annual summary, Paul added:

"A unique experience in the history of the competition - the entire display was performed to live, specially composed, music. The synchronization was incredible and the music and fireworks were in perfect harmony throughout. The entire display was very artistically executed with good attention to detail despite a couple of very minor flaws. The music, though unknown to the audience, had familiar themes throughout representing the multi-cultural nature of Cologne and Montreal and, in my opinion, worked extremely well. The huge waterfall and outline of Cologne Cathedral were risky due to the possiblity of smoke accumulation but worked very well. Another unique display."

Weco was Paul's first choice for the "most audacious display" and "overall appreciation", and also his jury prediction. I had not posted comments because I was on the jury that year.

It is possible to go back and to see the whole display thanks to a poster on YouTube:

Segment 1/4
Segment 2/4
Segment 3/4
Segment 4/4

Enjoy!

Fred

Posted: Jun 15, 2014 12:39:55   Edited by: Duncan_S

Oof, Fred, your post made my heart skip a beat or two. When I saw "Weco Pyrotechnische Fabrik (Germany) Reviews" in the new forum posts section with 11 replies, I thought that I had made some horrible miscalculation of dates and somehow missed this year's opening show. Thankfully, this was not the case!

Posted: Jun 15, 2014 21:28:01   Edited by: STL

Yes, Duncan, the same thought crossed my mind.

Something would have to be terribly wrong for me to miss such a display...

Posted: Jun 16, 2014 12:14:42

I, too, received a little fright!

Thank you so much, Fred, for kindly sharing those YouTube links!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019