Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2005 Display Reviews —› Sweden (Göteborgs Fyrverkeri Fabrik) reviews.
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 9, 2005 15:54:22

Hey guys,

Don't the let the rain dampen your spirit. It should clear up by this evening, I hope, and give way to some nice fireworks! Make sure to bring an umbrella, just in case of lingering showers.

Anyways, have a good show. It's going to be original and some really nice music.

Alright then, make sure to post your reviews here.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 9, 2005 20:33:10   Edited by: Smoke

Hey guys!!!!

What a SHOW!! I loved it all the way through. I have so much to comment on that I think I'll right up my entire review tomorrow. I think I have too much to say!

And what a finale! Pierre, I'm hoping you got that one! Enkil, I can imagine how you were feeling as much as I was! Fred and Paul, you guys must have loved it, too! It was a nice display, but the only criticism I have was the narration pauses and the slow start, which is a bad habit this year. I also think that the display just went over 10:30, according to my watch and the Molson building. Anyways, more tomorrow.

I look foward to hearing from your comments.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 07:07:30

Due to various comittments today (and being too tired when I woke at 6am this morning) my report won't be ready until late this evening. However, I can say that I really enjoyed the display and thought it was very creative. Towards the end, people were "dancing in the aisles" and the Swedish team received a very well deserved standing ovation from the audience.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 07:16:31

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday evening, everything went perfectly! I arrived on the bridge early, walked slowly to my usual spot. I was surprised to see such a small crowd....just a few raindrops in the afternoon, and people stay home.....it's amazing! The weather cooperated and the clouds kept quiet! I made sure that my camera was not set on the internal memory, plus I had new batteries....so nothing could go wrong during the finale. All that was left to spend a perfect evening, was to watch an exciting display with a finale building up in intensity, including salutes!

Well, Sweden delivered!!!

They started off with one of my all time favorite group, ABBA. What better choice, than to start with the music of a Swedish group who got international recognition for decades! Yes indeed...."Thank you for the music" was the first song and the synchronisation was so good.

What I especially enjoyed, was that segment filled with rockets which exploded into beautiful golden coconut trees with very bright coconuts in the branches (LOL) making crunching noises......and as this segment ended, I turned around towards the Molson clock: It was 10:16 !

Another segment that I really liked, was the one that ended at 10:23.....it was filled with different colors, the intensity was building up and was fast-paced........THEN, I knew for sure this was just a taste of what was forthcoming! Sort of warning, telling us to prepare for a mind-blowing finale!

And as the finale started, I held my camera up in the sky.....the sky quickly filled up with huge rockets and it got bigger and bigger.....enough to force me to step backwards two times, so that I could catch it all with my camera! I started to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, that feeling of total satisfaction from the fast-paced explosions, the intensity still building up....all that was left to see, were those salutes......and guess what? They sent a bunch of salutes right in the middle, a few seconds before the end! I tried my best not to scream as I was witnessing such an intense finale.

Finally, as I was walking back on the bridge towards Montreal, I thought that all those people who had stayed home because of the weather, had missed one BEAUTIFUL display, not to mention a WONDERFUL finale.

I am pretty sure that Trav, Enkil, Paul, Fred and all of you guys, were pretty impressed with Sweden's performance. I thought of you all yesterday, while standing on the bridge.

And Trav.....yes, I got the finale recorded from the start to the very last second!

Now, here is my ranking so far:

1. Sweden
2. France
3. Argentina
4. Australia

Have a great week ....looking forward to read your comments!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 07:22:52

Paul,

I just read your comment after I posted mine. Take your time writing your report. We will enjoy it (as we always do) whenever you have time to post it.

Also, I forgot to say that I really enjoyed the fact that Sweden used the music of Swedish groups like ABBA and Roxette! They even spoiled me with two songs from ABBA, one on each end of the display!

Enjoy Sunday....stay cool and well hydrated!

Pierre

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 08:07:19   Edited by: Enkil

What an enjoyable one! I arrived there at around 8:30. As Pierre said, there wasn't a lot of people. It was very easy to find a place near the gate (I wish it was always like that lol). Then more and more people were coming. But unfortunately, there was far less people than the previous weeks.

I strongly believe that the public enjoyed this display as much as I did. You could feel the excitement.

Before the show started, they did mention that the narration was going to be short and indeed it was! I found its timing very reasonable and important for the theme. The theme itself was original.

What amazed me was the originality and the creativity (a never-boring display). Notice that the display was well organized. It was intensifying more and more until the final. The final was breathtaking. But I think that France's final was a bit more intense. Nevertheless, Sweden's was long and intense of course. I was very satisfied to see another colorful final. And that's the way a final must end!!

The synchronization was excellent in my opinion. But there were some moments where I was expecting it to be more intense when the music was loud. This might be the only very minor criticism.

I suspect that there were some minor technical problems (I think). 'cause sometimes, the fireworks were in action while the music had stop, but this is negligable, in my view.

So far (it seems that I agree with Pierre's rating )

1. Sweden
2. France
3. Argentina
4. Australia

Generally based on how I felt and what I liked best.

But I'm sure that the judge's favorite is so far Argentina!

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 09:20:17   Edited by: Smoke

Greetings,

To start off. Pierre, man, am I ever happy and grateful that you got that one! Enkil, I'm happy you felt the way I did bout every aspect! Paul, it's no big rush to get your review up. I'm happy that you thought it was a great display, as well! And I'm sure Fred would say the same. It was truly remarkable and creative all the way through.

Well, well, well. I can conclude that last night's display was a total success. The variation in music was well done, similarly to that of Argentina and France, but the music was most pleasing and delightful to the audience. It made the display more enjoyable, especially to the various and authentic effects, particularly the extensive use of the three 12 meter towers. In essence, the display was very original and enjoyable in many aspects. This was an incredible effort from this Swedish team, especially since it's their first time!

Anyways, I must definitely comment on the weather. The forecast did, indeed, live to its end of the bargain, though I was once again worried about the conditions prior to 9:00 P.M, like France. There were some developments from the remaining system that did show some signs of steady preciptation, but thankfully, that moved out and left mainly cloudy conditions with some decent clear breaks that were provided. This was also backed up by lenient winds that, thankfully, blew away the smoke, especially there were some excessive smoke during some segments. This could have been because of the earlier rain and some humidity. But, this could be just me. Anyways, this has been one of the smallest crowds ever. Well, you honestly can't blame them since it has been raining all day long. In fact, where I park, there was only 4 cars, including mine!

The display, in general, was excellent, but the beginning, was, once again, spoiled by a pause and again felt anit-climatic after the countdown. This has been the case this year, except for France. Regardless, it started off really neatly and dramatically, not to mention with some excitement. The effects used all the way through were really integrated to the originality of the display, especially considering that this sort of display was very colorful.

The first segment started off with 3 stacks of smoke coming from the towers, I think. Then the colors were getting more visible and defined. The towers, itself, were nicely used, particularly with coordination. They were very well presented and truly represented the Swedish atmosphere and their hometown, as the information section states. I want to point out how synchronized the towers were with the music and highly compatible to their main theme. The variations of effects from the towers were incredible mainly because of how they were sprouting out according to different forms of music speeds. I also felt that they gave us an idea of Swedish tradition through different arts, mainly the towers. This, in turn, also made the display very traditional in many aspects. One of the best uses of the towers was probably at the moment where there were shots sprouting at different angles. This was very coordinated with the music, once again.

The lower effects were also very tight with the music, I mean, VERY tight. The candles and lower mines (if that's what they're called) at the bottom to mid levels were very colorful and amazing. Most of these lower mines startled the audience, mainly because of the way it was going with the music, considering it was fast paced. Similarly to Argentina and France, this display made the fireworks "dance." Also, there were many glittering fountains, I think. The lower effects also felt original, since there were many segments that had various colors and different forms of art. This helped to reduce redundancy.

The sky was also usually filled with many massive shells with some salutes mixed in here and there. The colors in the sky were amazing, especially with the lower level effects coinciding with the upper action. The mix of colors between both low level and upper level were apparent and really made me enjoy this display all the way through.

As I said, the colors, in general, were dramatic. The display had so many colors that I could not remember which colors they did not use! I also want to point out some traditional colors! The massive blue and light orange shell mixtures used in some segments gave a good portion of the display a very patriotic impression, well, that's what I got from the mixture of these colors. The towers were also nicely integrated to the colors demonstrated in the sky. I felt that it represented their country. It also reminded me of the display in 1994. The faux finale segment was EXCELLENT. The colors were so transitional! It reminded me of U.S.A in 2003 for what they did in their ending. This segment was similar. The frequent change between colors made it feel like the real ending, though I didn't think it was the ending. But it was definitely dramatic and intense. Also, the bombs and salutes between this segment were apparent! Some really high level shells really blew my chest away and made my ears ring! Kind of like Argentina.

The effects were probably one of the most important and most well done criteria for this display, in which it represented it's originality. There were many various effects. I was, once again, so pleased and delighted to see the use of girandolas, except they used pretty much every kind of form of girandolas! There was even one kind that I noticed that exploded upon reaching a certain height, while sparkle cracklers overhead! This was most admired. The use of these effects ranged from double and single ascension girandolas, while others were double ascension and gold glittered girandolas! This was truly amazing.

There were also many other superbe effects! I noticed some go-getters and serpents (if that's what they're called) in some segments! This made that unique echo sound, like an eagle. The serpents filled the lower level to mid levels while other massive white, green and blue shells were high in the sky. There were also the use of many bright and lasting glittering effects, especially when there's transition between other colors. There was a whole segment that filled the whole sky with glittering sparkles which really captured the audience. I was also so VERY delighted to see saturn and triple ring shells! Also very welcomed by the audience. It was really nice to see those, especially when they started increasing the pace with other shells. and lower effects. The music also fitted this segment a lot. I also noticed a lot of scattered shots, particularly the way they broke up high in the sky. Also, there were many scattered shots all the way through. There were also those lasting sparkles that changed to green from white as they trailed into the river. Finally, there was also a very stunning effect, which was used in on of the latter segments. It was also very much breathtaking because it was directly overhead! It sounded a lot like heavy rain after they explode. The effect is very similar, but I'm not sure of the name. But it sounds like rain, which is another personal favorite. Plus, I rarely see it overhead! It's not just the way in which they used the effects that made it original, but it's the way in how they did it, which brought unique effects. ne of the parts I enjoyed most were the integration of that unique orange color while mixing in with the blue.

There was also a huge range of serene moments to very excitng moments! This was apprent in the exciting moments with those shell of shells/multi- breakers accompanied by many volleys of salutes and massive barrages of shells, particularly with the white and green variations. I'm also sure that excellent use was made of the lake during some serene moments, especially with those glitters and kamuro bombardments drifting down. This was noticeable with the weeping willows, too! Very dramatic.

The choice of music was highly enjoyable and was sincerely to my liking, as well as to the majority of the people, which really makes you go more into the display than when it isn't with your personal tastes. This is what I felt. The music also was very traditional, especially with the legendary Swedish group, ABBA. I do like a lot of their songs! And I was happy to see that there were a couple of them. The music, in general was very complex in the sense of variations, which was very similar to that of both Argentina and France. There were many times where the music was very slow which resulted in serene moments ranging to many segments where things almost felt that they were out of control, once again, the stunning transitional faux finale. The music really suited many of these segments, particularly the songs "Great Balls of Fire" and "Gimme Gimme Gimme." I noticed that the segments also had different effects that sort of coincided with the music themes and also, the main theme. The towers were one of the most synchronized effects, especially considering that this was with fast paced music. Once again, the lower levels were most tight, as well. However, I did feel that there was a couple of times where I noticed that the fireworks kept going while the music stopped, but then again, I suspected that this could be because it was going along with the narration? That's the impression that I got. Either that, or it there was something wrong. Otherwise, they were defintely tight with the music.

Synchronization was simply flawless. Once again, the variations between music speeds really made the display enjoyable. Listening to personal favorites also made it feel like the fireworks were literally dancing with the music. There were times where I felt that it was just totally perfect. The candles and mines were also nicely used with the music in many parts. The choice of music also fitted into the main theme.

Well, here's my rankings for this display and my rankings, so far, on who I felt was the best.

Travis' personal rankings and display criteria ratings.

-Synchronization: 9/10-This rating could be variable because I'm not exaclty sure if the fireworks kept going in a couple of segments where the music stopped because of either because of difficulties or because it was going along with some form of narration. Either way, the music was very tight with this display.
-Color: 9.7/10-Need I say more? This entire display was everything but no color! The use of many colors really made the display creative with many levels in the sky.
-Creativity/Originality and Concept: 9.7/10-The display was was so mingled with art and and creativity and thus making it so original. The way they used many effects, like the girandolas and triple ring shells to the use of the patriotic colors were amazing and serioulsy defined the main theme!
-Choice of Music: 9.5/10-Mainly because it was higly enjoyable to me and the many members of the audience. This made everyone go deep into the display.
-Finale/Overall Appreciation: 9/10-This is a FINALE. There was so much taking place that it was really hard to keep up with everything going on from bottom to top! It was lenghty, colorful and noisy and everything I could ever ask for! The last piece was deafening with those absurdly loud salutes! I'm sure Pierre liked that, as much as we all did!
-Overall: 9.4/10!

Here's the order of the displays, in my view:

1-Sweden
2-France
3-Argentina
4-Australia

In conclusion, I will most likely have to readjust my ratings before the end for each display, since they're incredibly high! I'll also probably have to adjust my synchro rating for this display after I figure out if the music kept going in a couple of segments for a reason. But, to be honest, the last three displays, including last night's, really felt like they deserve to be up there. It really feels like that. Anyways, this was a truly artistic and creative display! The forms of art all the way through, especially the towers, really put them up there, which is why I rank this display slightly over France. It was more creative and I suspect that the towers will give them the advantage. The choice of music will also give them a benefit. The only criticism that I have about this display was anti-climatic beginning after the countdown and I also felt that the narration pauses in between segments were a little frustrating and distracting, but this really and honestly didn't take anything away from the overall standings. This could also be the reason why the display went over 10:30. The finale was awesome and, in my opinion, the best so far, mainly because of the length, but it was hard to tell the difference between the intensity of France and Sweden! Somtimes I also felt, as Enkil said, that France's ending was a tad more intense, but then again, I felt that way about Sweden, too! I was really screaming and waving my umbrella everywhere!! It was incredible! I can't remember how much I was screaming! And yes, Pierre, I was thinking of all of you, as well. Then my thoughts turned to you when that barrage of salutes went! Overall, definitely the #1 display this year, but as Enkil said, I also suspect that Argentina is still the judges favorite. And this display really reminded me to that in 1994, though that was a different firm.

Despite a wet day and a small crowd, it was truly worth it to witness something like last night. Those who stayed home...TOO BAD!!! And yes, Pierre, I'll be sure to stay hydrated! Actually, we'll need to stay hydrated all week, it looks like!

Best regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 11:22:39

the finale are powerful,loud,big,colored.

I am worried about the weather condition.
but is a great evening.

jerome

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 15:04:24

Bonjour

Ce n'est surement pas quelques gouttes de pluie qui allaient m'arrêter. Je suis donc allé à ma place habituelle sur le pont Jacques CARTIER.
Ce n'est pas mon genre de détailler mes commentaires . Je laisse cà à Paul, fred,Smoke et M. Lamon qui le font d,ailleurs admirablement bien.
Je me poste devant le feu, j'ai mon baladeur et je me laisse aller avec le spectacle et les commentaires et observations s,enregistrent en moi d,elles mêmes.
J'aime bien les firmes qui attaquent dès le départ . La Suède a choisi la narration et un lent départ. Ils auraient pu choisir une autre des nombreuses et belles chansons d'Abba au lieu de de Thank you fort de music qui à mon avis ne sert pas très bien la syncronisation pyromusicale.<

Comme les autres spectateurs autour de moi j'ai commencé à réagir avec le great balls of fire de Jerry Lee Lewis . A partir de ce moment-là ce fut le développement magistral progressif vers un bouquet final tout à fait magistral.
Auparavant certes il y a eu de bons moments mais sans plus .

J'avais l'impression qu'on avait gardé les meilleures pièces pour la fin du spectacle pour que le jury garde une bonne impression à la toute fin.

Les brèves narrations ont su faire les liens entre les différentes parties de la présentation mais personnellement je préfère que la syncronisation des pièces avec la musique se chargent de cet aspect. Cà amène un côté harmonieux au spectacle et surtout cà ne brise pas le rytme .

Le choix des pièces a été très correct même si parfois je trouve qu'on abusait dans l'utilisation de ces nombreuses boules multicolores...Cà faisait un peu trop répétitif à mon goût.La luminosité des pièces et leur développement dans le ciel me sont apparus très bons.

La syncronisation m'a semblé très bonne avec les pièces de petits calibre mais pas toujours évidente en hauteur avec les grosses pièces. Le site a été assez bien utilisé bien que dans certaines pièces musicales je trouvais que cà manquait vraiment de matériel pyrotechnique. Pour employer l'expression cà faisait un peu "Chnu"

Sauf peut-être dans le crescendo final je ne me suis pas senti impliqué émotivement et je n'ai pas reconnu d'éléments pouvant surprendre vraiment les spectateurs.

En bref un bonne présentation qui a mis du temps à démarrer , trop de piétinement .....Une firme qui a certe de belles qualités au plan artistique mais qui aurait intérêt à mieux doser le réglage de l'intensité de son feu et surtout sans utiliser de narration.
Rien de notable au plan de la créativité.

Cà c,est l'opinion de l'ex-juge mais Roger lui adore tous les feux d,artifice. Cette firme a définitivement du potentiel au plan artistique...cà viendra avec le temps et cette première expérience des feux de Montréal.

Donc mon classement actuel

Argentine
France
Suède
Autralie.

Mercredi je crois qu'on va avoir de l'action à la Ronde.

Salut les addicts

Roger

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 16:29:41   Edited by: fredbastien

It is a shame that no more people saw this incredible and winning display produced by the Swedish team. When I passed through La Ronde’s gates around 7 pm, the park was nearly empty. The rain had just stopped a couple of minutes before and most of the audience reached the park later. As I had expected in this forum yesterday, it was the smallest crowd since the beginning of the 2005 season. This week, the diplomatic official from Sweden was not jammed in the traffic and she made a speech in three languages during the ceremony at 9:30 pm. Michel Lacroix deserves a mention for his clear pronunciation of the names of the 10-member Swedish crew.

Since the Giant Wheel was closed, I could not see the amount of pieces on the first firing ramp, but what I saw on the others was not outstanding. On the second ramp, which is a major one, it was the smallest setup of the year. I was also a little bit anxious to see no more pieces on the three 12-meter towers. However, we should never conclude about the quality of a show on the basis of the setup. Here is the best illustration of this statement!

First, I must discussed about the thematic and the soundtrack. The latter, which includes some dialogues, has been so well-designed that I start a specific thread about it. Please find in this other thread a complete transcript of these dialogues and a descriptive of all sounds heard behind Ingrid’s and Jacques’ voices.

http://www.montreal-fireworks.com/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum =9&topic=430

In prior reports, I have written criticisms for the poor thematic of some displays. "An Evening in Göteborg" is the perfect example of a great theme and a good using of a narrative. Here, in opposition to the Australian display and several others produced before, almost each sentence has a function. No time has been wasted with speeches to say that the firm is proud to compete in Montreal, and bla bla bla… Just a scenario, like a good movie. Without these thematic and dialogues, we would not be able to identify a relation between classical, movie and dance music. But with them, we know that Ingrid and Jacques were at a concert, then at a movie theater, a pub and a night club.

All segments of this narrative were short enough to prevent any anticlimactic situation. During the introduction, before the first part of the show, some blue strobes (or flames?) appeared on ramps 3 and 5. However, short black-out happened through subsequent parts of the narrative. A good way to improve the design on this point would be to produce pyrotechnic effects synchronized with sounds heard at the same time than the dialogues : for instance, whistling serpents with birds at the park, some photo-flashes with the ring when Ingrid and Jacques opened the door of the pub, an orange or yellow Niagara fall with the sound of beer which is poured into glasses, and so on.

A special feature of the Swedish setup was the three towers located on ramp 3. They were mainly used during the second segment. This part of the show was incredible, with all these silver gerbs which appeared in a syncopated way along the tower, the third and the fifth ramps. The perfect synchronization was beautiful, especially with the increasing beat of the Tchaikovsky’s music. A similar pattern was briefly produced during the fourth part of the show, and towers were used again in the seventh part, with three star-shaped fountains at the top of each structure. Synchronization was flawless and obvious throughout the show. At the end of many segments, luminosity decreased in a perfect synchronism with the level of the music. The only problem was the continuing effect of a cake of stars after that "Great Balls of Fire" (part 9) had ended. Moreover, other small problems occured since some parts were asymmetrical. For instance, during the 10th segment, some candles of tourbillons appeared on the right side of ramp 3, with nothing on the left side.

Despite these small technical problems, it was a well-designed and very creative display. In my opinion, the competition is very tight between Argentina and Sweden but, due to the quality and the originality of the scenario, I give to Sweden the highest mark. Göteborgs FyrverkeriFabrik should be rewarded with a Jupiter prize. However, the level of the competition is very high this year again. Among the four contestants who has performed since the beginning of the competition, two or three are candidates for the podium, but only three places are available. The job now becomes tougher for the jury…

Fred

Posted: Jul 10, 2005 16:49:11   Edited by: fredbastien

Now, some reactions to what other participants have written in this forum about the Swedish show...

Trav, you are right: the display was longer than 30 minutes, for the pleasure of the audience! I recorded 32 minutes 30 seconds. Moreover, I can understand that you found anti-climactic the start of the show from your point of view, but I disagree on this point because nautical strobes were launched on the lake at this time. In consequence, it was not really a black-out.

I am agree that the finale was very enjoyable! I clapped the ground with one my feet at this time. It was very amazing!

Roger, je suis un peu surpris par ton commentaire un peu moins enthousiaste... Peut-être ai-je manqué de sens critique, mais tout le spectacle m'a semblé presque impeccable. Alors que tu soulignes avoir commencé à réagir à partir de "Great Balls of Fire", j'ai au contraire été emporté par certains segments présentés au début du feu, particulièrement lors du 2e tableau. Les jets allumés en alternance sur les différentes tours et rampes de lancement étaient tellement bien synchronisés sur la musique de Tchaikovsky... Quant à la narration, j'ai trouvé qu'on l'avait limitée à l'essentiel, laissant de côté le blablabla inutile qu'on entend bien souvent. Après le décompte officiel précédant le feu de l'Argentine, j'avais trouvé le black-out initial de 20 secondes plus décevant que les brèves interruptions observées entre certains tableaux du feu suédois, alors que les personnages nous situaient dans leur tour de ville.

Je note néanmoins que tu as apprécié le feu et, malgré les critiques que l'on formule, il demeure que ces spectacles sont toujours, sauf exceptions, de très haut niveau.

Fred

Posted: Jul 11, 2005 07:12:48

Fred,

Ok, I understand. So, there were some nautical effects just after the countdown. That could have been responsible for those 3 big smoke stacks. Regardless, I still disagree about the narration. It always is distracting to me and I always feel that pause, no matter how long it is. I know a lot of people feel this way. I always thought narration doesn't work well, however, I must admit, this narration attempt was way better than that of previous tries, but still, it gives me that impression.

Anyways, I agree with pretty much every thing you said. I guess Argentina and Sweden will be very close for the judges. But I still liked France more than Argentina.

I also forgot to mention the use of Shell of shells, or multi breakers. That really excited me the moment I saw them. They were very apparent during the exciting moments. I've edited it in my review!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 11, 2005 09:58:14

Bonjour Paul

La lecture de ton excellent rapport sur le feu de la Suède me fait comprendre la différence significative entre le visionnement d'un spectacle sur le pont et le fait d'y assister en direct des bancs de la Ronde.
Je vois que même si j'étais bien placé j'ai manqué de nombreux effets.
Les gens autour de moi ont vraiment apprécié le spectacle surtout à partir du great balls of fire.

Anaway il y a des fans qui contemplent le spectacle d'un peu partout autour de la Ronde .On livre nos commentaires sur le forum et cà ne fait qu'enrichir le débat des fans .

Sous réserve de l'endroit` d'ou je m'amuse à regarder les feux je maintien mon classement. On verra bien à la toute fin.

Les narrations Fred c'était "bref...bien centré sur le concept ..cute ..mais j'ai toujours un peu de misère avec ce genre de choix du concepteur.

Un de ces 4 Paul faudra demander aux participants de nommer les 5 feux qu'ils ont les plus appréciés depuis 21 ans. Cà devrait être le fun de voir la diversité.

Bonne journée à tous.Mercredi de très sérieux concurrents avec les Espagnols.

Roger

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 08:58:11   Edited by: Lars

Hello again, friends

After returning from a fireworks competition held in the town of Tarragona in Spain I must say I am very pleased to read these very positive oppinions about this specific show, since it's produced by a company in Scandinavia, where I live

I believe Gothenburg without doubt is the most competent display operator we have in Scandinavia and I am most happy to read that they now have proved their skills in montreal and furthermore get these positive reactions

As mentioned i was in Spain so I didn't see the show of course, but the filmclips available on the internet definetely shows great choreography, first class product and the report written by Paul confirms that the conception and overall theme worked flawlessly. Personally I also think that the mentioned narrations (noted in Pauls reports) is a brilliant way of linking different pieces of music together into a whole - Simple but highly effective and thereby the best way of doing it

I can only say that i wish i had seen this pyromusical but I'm sure Smoke and Enkil enjoyed it for 3 persons in total

Have fun overthere - and enjoy the rest of the displays!

Kind greetings from Denmark,
Lars

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 09:14:42

Lars!

It's great to hear from you again! All this time I was wondering on how the displays were in Tarragona, and I'm guessing that they were great! I'm actually happy for you since you saw fireworks displays rather than not seing any! And I'm happy that our reviews give you great ideas of the displays we've already seen.

To be honest, this is one of the first years where things were so tight at the beginning of the competition. I know there's going to be a lot of disappointment about who the winner will be this year.

And yes, as you said, I also wsih that you had seen what Sweden did 3 days ago. It was fantastic and near perfect. They were also so original and creative which is one of the particular reasons I put them as my #1 preference. There was also such a huge variety of products used! It was incredible, especially with favorite soundtrack!

Finally, you're right about me and Enkil! We did, indeed, enjoy this show for 3 persons in total! It's a good thing the remnants of Cindy had moved out in time.

BTW, how did that exam go that you told me about a few months back? Anyways, remember, I encourage you to check in whenever you can!

Best regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 12:12:29

What a thrill to find this board! I am a fireworks addict who loves to travel to see wonderful shows.
This year, I have missed many, includint he 4th of july in NYC, so I am heading to Montreal for Canad's display! I ordered some of the "silver" tickets. I wish I had found this board before I did. Are those really the best views? I hope so.
I can't wait to post what I think of the show!!

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 12:35:21

The silver section is renowned amongst pyrotechnicians and other afficianados as the best place to be - you're closest to the action and are centre stage. There is no better view to be had. If you can come for more than one day, you'll be able to see two displays in 4 days or 3 displays in 8 - highly recommended if you can afford the time.

Best regards,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 13:14:22

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the relieving good words. I can't wait to see the show from those seats. I am in section 5, row N, towards the back of the silvers, but roughly in the middle. I am very, very excited to get up there. Unfortunately, I am a heinously, ludicrously, stupidly busy individual, and it is by sheer coincidance that I am able to get up there for a weekend!
Can't wait!

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 13:48:31

Anonymous,

I'm so happy to hear that you're a fireworks addict, too! That's what we all are, as you might expect. I'm also looking foward to hearing from your comments in the future when we all see Canada's display!

As Paul also said, if timed right when you visit, you'll be fortunate enough to see at least 2 shows, since it's going twice a week now, both Wednesday and Saturday. Since Canada is on a Saturday, you'll probably see U.S.A on the following Wednesday.

BTW, I also encourage you to become a member of this forum. Your thoughts will always be most welcomed.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 14:02:15

Hey there, this is Anonymous from above, now registered.
The more I read here, the more I realize that as much fun as it is to just enjoy fireworks, ther eis SO much I don't know. I have my own "lingo", and here ther is all of the "real" lingo....man, I am an addict, but no afficianado...not yet, anyway.
I wish I could stay for wednesday, I would love to see the USA show.
Is the public allowed to record the displays on video?

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 14:03:19

Oops, now THIS is anonymous form above. Sorry guys. Here one day and already I'm making a mess of the boards.

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 14:13:14

taualum23, you're allowed to record, but you can't sell it because of the copyright songs.

Where are you from?

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 14:15:45   Edited by: Lars

Smoke,

Regarding Gothenburg: I'm only glad to hear you comment that positively on the display. Since I did not witness the spectacle I cannot comment on that specific show but they have my utmost respect for the other shows I have seen, so I don't doubt their display was spectacular

Regarding Tarragona: The shows in Tarragona were better than I expected. There were both local spanish companies with wonderfull products (Pirotecnia Zaragozana) and foreing companies like APE Parente (Italy) and Tamaya (Japan) with their respective ways of firing displays. So it was a very pleasant vacation

Regards,
Lars

Posted: Jul 12, 2005 19:43:36

Lars,

I'm glad that you enjoyed the displays!

As I said, please feel free to drop in as much as you can.

Oh yes, as you said in the other thread, we can expect a real treat from Ricasa tomorrow.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 13, 2005 08:07:09   Edited by: taualum23

Enkil,
I am from Connecticut. I work in Hartofrd, live in West Hartford. I was thinning of recording so that I could then write a more accurate "review" when I get home. I am trying to decide whether I want to let any of my attention get distracted from just watching and enjoying, so I'm not sure I'll bring the camera.

Posted: Jul 13, 2005 14:16:30   Edited by: Lars

Hi taualum23

Last year I made recordings of the shows by placing my camera on a tripod besides myself (not in front!) and adjusting the screen with to fit the with of the firing site. Then it was only the vertical position of the camera that nedded adjustment during the show. And if you let the bottom of the screen fit record the spot where the roman candles etc. are fired from you probably only have to move the camera upwards a few times at the large bombardments (>8 inch). Furthermore: After 3 shows i had learned myself just how high and low my arm should move the camera regarding of the altitude of the effects (and back down again) so I did not have to move my own eyes away from the skies - and thereby still enjoy the most of the show.

Just a little tip for you that has helped me film fireworks shows and still let me have a good time watching

Kind regards,
Lars

Posted: Jul 14, 2005 09:42:40

Thanks a million, Lars.
I will give that a try!

Page loading time (sec.): 0.024