Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2005 Display Reviews —› Jupiter 2005 - Final Decision: Your predictions
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 00:26:27

Since mid-June, we have discussed about all performances produced by nine contestants. We have analysed almost all components of each show.

Now, the competition is over. It is the time for the decision. Imagine yourself in the jury. Which firms deserve the Gold, Silver and Bronze Jupiter? Make your predictions in this thread!

Fred

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 07:56:05

Ladies and gentlemen, as a jury member of the 2005 edition of the fireworks competition, let me say that this was truly a vintage year. I have never seen so many displays which rightfully deserved a jupiter award. To my eyes, no less than 6 countries deserved to be on the podium this year. This has been a very difficult year to judge since the shows have become extremely complex and perfectly synched to the music. Unfortunately, I can't give you my personal top 3 but please feel free to ask any questions regarding the competition. To tell you the truth, I'm surprised they picked me as a jury member since I'm only 21 years old. Anyways, have fun on deciding the top 3!

Dan

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 09:34:37

Fred,

I hate when it's already the time to make predictions since it's depressing that the all the entrants are done... But, at the same time, it's exciting, especially with a year like this.

Dan,

I'm also surprised that they pick jury members at such a young age! I'm also 21 years old...But you're right, it is going to be tough to decide the winners. Despite the weak finales, mostly, this year has probably been the tightest. And yes, there have been so many shows that deserve a prize. About 6 displays deserve something, but sadly, only 3 can win, as I said in my review and as you clearly mentioned.

I'm going to post my predictions briefly here and put a small review of each display for my choices later on. But for now, I'll just post who I think the winners will be:

1-Sweden
2-Argentina
3-Portugal

However, I'm having a hard time deciding the top 3, so what I just put there is an idea of what I'm thinking of. However, I'm still heavily contemplating on who should be for third most of all. This is between Spain, Portugal, France and U.S.A, while Sweden and Argentina are fit for either 1st or 2nd.

Anyways, I'll most likely change that up after I go through all my reviews thoroughly and then sort of anotate each one and extract important information.

Keep the predictions coming!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 10:19:12   Edited by: Enkil

Like Paul, I will add short comments to my official 2005 ratings

1. Sweden

This was truly the never-boring show. Everything was well organized. Excellent theme, creative display and a flawless synchronization, can't get any better.

2. France

This was a very exciting and a different display, with a great finale. Excitement picks a lot points from me.

3. Portugal

A very original display. Though, I have to say the final segment was probably the most exciting segment this year. Overall, the display was a different and an interesting approach.

4. United States

They had everything it takes to make an excellent show, but originality wasn't there. The 2nd never-boring and exciting show.

5. Spain

Very traditional show. I mostly enjoyed the lower level effects. But it could have been better.

6. Argentina

Unfortunately, my mood probably effected the rating for this display, somehow. I know that they were very creative, but perhaps, it was missing a bit of originality in the display.

7. Canada

An interesting display, but something was missing.

8. Australia

I found this display enjoyable, this was probably mainly due to the fact that it was the first competitor. I just wanted to see a display, after waiting months. Though, I think they still have a lot of work to do...

9. Czech Republic

For this display, I will simply put for you the same equation that I showed Smoke on aim.
Wide variety products + bad synchronization/music = joke
A bit severe, but they too have a lot of work to do.

Finally, I want to say that the most disappointing part of this year were the finales. Only France presented us a true finale. Shows after shows, I waited to see a real fearsome finale and I always ended up disappointed. Maybe more and more firms are heading into to the creative and innovating direction? Could the true intense finale be something of the past? I read how Georges Lamon insisted that a pyromusical show isn't just about producing a real intense finale. But I think the finale is just as important as the whole show. Heck, it's the public's favourite part, especially for thousands non-pyrofreaks. A pyromusical show should be able to statisfy everyone.

To conclude, I have to say this year was once again very good. It was truly a great pleasure to read every single review and to see everyone's different opinions. Be sure to keep your eyes open on Saturday night because this might be the last time you visit your place, in 2005. Unless, if you go there for the pyjama fireworks!

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 13:31:49

I strongly believe that there are two fights over the podium this year. On one hand, there is a first dispute between Argentinia and Sweden for the Gold and Silver Jupiter. I have discussed with many people who have seen all displays from La Ronde this year and these two teams always come to the top. I think that it would be very surprising (and disappointing from my point of view) to see other team(s) on the two highest positions. However, it is very difficult to predict if the Gold Jupiter will reward the Argentinian or the Swedish team. Here, we have a first suspense.

On the other hand, I think that there is a second dispute between France, Spain, Portugal and United States for the third prize. What I understand from my discussions and the opinions expressed in this forum is that there is a wide range of opinions on this point. Again, we have another suspense for the Bronze Jupiter. The closing ceremony will be very exciting and we always can have some surprises…

Now, my personal preferences. I believe that Sweden should be rewarded with the Gold Jupiter and Argentinia with the Silver Jupiter. Regarding the Bronze Jupiter, for me it is really a heartrending choice to decide between Portugal and USA but I have chosen the former. Grupo Luso Pirotecnia deserves a prize for many creative components. Australia, France, Spain and Canada have produced very good show, but it is not enough to go on the podium this year in my opinion. Czech display was correct, but a serious problem was that the firework was not related enough to the music.

As usual, I have rated each display on the basis of the official criterias of the Montreal International Fireworks Contest. For each entrant, you can see below four marks (on 10 points). They are related to the four main criterias used by the jury. The fifth mark is the total on 40 points.

1. The first mark is about pyromusical design. It is related to three more specific components. Each count for one third of the first mark.
(a) Artistic concept. This about the quality and originality of the theme, general design of each segment, overall rhythm of the show.
(b) Stage production (« mise en scène »). This about the quality and originality of the use of room available to produce the show : extent of using the firing ramps and the lake, use of set pieces or other elements like performers.
(c) Music. This about the quality and originality of musics and other sounds. When I made a decision on this specific point, my personal tastes are not an issue. What matter is how the contestant’s soundtrack is different from others, the link between the music and the theme, the mixing and the introduction of other sonorous components.
2. Quality of pyrotechnic pieces. Variety of the material, use of sophisticated effects and richness of colours.
3. Synchronization.
4. General appreciation. This is more related to a personal feeling and appreciation, but this mark is usually around the mean of the three other.

Sweden – 9.3 – 9,0 – 9,3 – 10,0 – 37,6
Argentinia – 9,2 – 9,0 – 9,5 – 9,0 – 36,7
Portugal – 9,2 – 8,5 – 9,3 – 9,0 – 36,0
United States – 8,5 – 9,0 – 9,5 – 8,5 – 35,5
France – 8,7 – 8,5 – 8,5 – 8,5 – 34,2
Spain – 7,8 – 8,2 – 9,5 – 8,0 – 33,5
Canada – 8,7 – 8,5 – 8,0 – 8,0 – 33,2
Australia – 8,5 – 8,0 – 8,0 – 8,0 – 32,5
Czech Republic – 7,8 – 9,0 – 7,5 – 7,0 – 31,3

Fred

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 13:38:52   Edited by: fredbastien

Dan, regarding your age, you should not be so surprised to be in the jury. You just have to be 18 or older to postulate and I think that it is very important for the organizers to have people with a wide range of backgrounds.

I have a question for you. I was on the jury last year and a new rule has been in force: the mark that we wrote on our sheet after each display was final. We could not change our marks later. Does this rule has been in force again this year?

Enkil, I understand your disappointment about the finales this year. But I think that you should expect a big one from Panzera next Saturday. This firm often produces spectacular finales. And the title of the show is interesting on this point: "Big Bang"!

Fred

Posted: Jul 28, 2005 18:38:18

Hi Fred,

This was strongly stated during the training. Once your marks are in, that's it. The only thing you could do if 10's are given is to give an extra + sign in order to give preference (must be done on the night of the fireworks, no exceptions). Also, after every show, the jury members where asked to give a standing ovation to each team. This started after the australian display since the crowd was rather cold towards them. Other then that, nothing special this year (besides new logos on the t-shirts).

Dan

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 12:55:34

Guys!

Come on! There should be way more people making predictions, especially with a year like this!! It's way too quiet in here. I'll have mine up this evening. And Paul's predictions will be here, too!

Lets turn it up a notch and make things more interesting!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 19:28:09

Bonsoir

Malheureusement pour nous la compétition pyrotechnique de Montréal tire à sa fin et c'en fut toute une.
A mon avis 6 pays peuvent espérer monter dur le podium demain soir.Le résultat sera très serré.
Il y a plusieurs éléments dont il faut tenir compte dans un spectacle pyromusical et en fin de compte ce sont des détails qui peuvent faire la différence.Par exemple un participant peu faire preuve de créativité , d'originalité ce que j'apprécie au plus au point mais si la syncronisation fait défaut, si le choix musical et le concept sont douteux,s'il y a trop de répétitif au niveau des pièces, si le rytme est variable , les enchainements plus ou moins bons etc....alors cette firme ne peut espèrer gagner.
Mis à part le feu Francais que j,ai vu de la Ronde j'ai admiré tous les spectacles du même endroit sur le pont Jacques cartier. Mon jugement aurait probablement été un peu différent si je les avais tous vus de Ronde.C'est le cas entre autre du feu Suédois que plusieurs participants et critiques ont louangé. Moi j'ai écrit ce que j,ai vu et entendu du point de vue où je me trouvais sur le pont.

Voici donc mon classement final personnel.

1- Argentine
2- Etats-Unis
3- Portugal
4- Espagne
5- France
6- Suède
7- Canada
8- République Tchèque
9- Australie.

J'ai bien hâte de voir le choix du jury.Je serai là.

Bonne soirée et merci de m'avoir lu.

Roger

Posted: Jul 30, 2005 05:59:50

I normally write up a summary and review of the competition but this year I have so little time that I probably won't get this done until after the results have been announced. I'm in the process of moving this weekend and have had hardly any time at all.

So, I'll briefly make my predictions here and a quick list of my personal favourites.

Firstly, my personal favourites.

o Argentina - this was a great display which caused many people to note that it gave the feeling of the memorable displays of the past (not that it was in anyway "old fashioned". It just had the right ingredients.

o Sweden - a well executed theme and some of the best pyrotechnic choreography ever seen in Montreal. An amazing debut display

o Portugal - despite a somewhat muted first half, incredibly creative, especially the rhythmic salutes section and the amazing "pyrodome". Not forgetting, of course, the fabulous complete 1st movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony

o USA - Just an overall well done display with special effects, thanks to MagicFire, that have never been seen before. Well designed, exciting, serene, colourful and passionate - it had all the elements of a good pyromusical taken to new heights thanks to the amazing synchronization

As you can see, I have four favourites and so I somehow need to come up with my top 3 and my prediction for the jury. This latter task is hard and the order of the displays has to be taken into account. No matter what anyone says, it is my personal opinion that the final competitor has a natural advantage, providing they do a good display since the jury can compare their display to all the previous ones and have the opportunity to give it a higher mark. Especially if the rule that the marks cannot be changed afterwards is respected. Taking this into account, my prediction for the jury placings is:

o Gold: Sweden
o Silver: USA
o Bronze: Argentina

Possibly Portugal will make the Bronze because of their incredible creativity.

Paul.

Posted: Jul 30, 2005 11:26:26

Greetings, pyrofreaks!

Well, I'm sad to say that this is my final report for the season. But, I'll try to make it interesting in some aspects.

To start off, we'll be experiencing a pleasant evening with the weather. A comfortable high of 24 with an evening temperature of 21 with a few weak convectional clouds should be alright for all of us. Also, I hope we won't have a smoke problem like last year. We should have light winds coming from the NE, but only at 5 km/h. But they can be breezy at times by the water and there's no humidity, so that might help, I hope. Other than that, another perfect year where no displays suffered from rain during a display! That makes 2 years in a row!

In this review, I will sort of disect each of my subsequent reviews from each show and point the important aspects of each show. I'll also adjust my rankings for each show. Just to point out, there were at least 6 displays that deserve a prize, but only hlf of that number can win, unfortunately. It would have been nice if that "Special Jupiter" was still enforced, as Enkil and I were discussing last night.

Anyways, I'll analyse each country in their respective order as in the schedule. Also, keep in mind that what I write here are my own personal interpretations on what I felt and saw from each display. As Paul always says, many people are affected by many variables that thus gives way to various opinions. Fireworks and music also excites people in different ways and therefore can heavily influence predictions and opinionson how THEY see a particular show. Keep in mind that I used this legend in my reviews:

1=Synchronization
2=Color
3=Creativity/Originality/Concept
4=Choice of music
5=Finale/Overall Appreciation

Australia

A decent effort from this team, but compared to the rest of the competitors, this was rather weak in some aspects of the show. Synchronization was pretty much good for the most part, but there were too many incidents where it was noticeably slack. The narration was also too long for my tastes, as well. As a result, the beginning was anti-climactic. Also, there was too much repetition with some effects, particularly with the kamuros. The colors were pretty much well used but some others would have been ideal, especially for their theme "Fusion of colors". Also, there were moments where not much was happening. The overall theme, however, was nicely demonstrated and was nicely interacted with the selected music. Finally, the finale was rather short and repetitive with those weeping willows of gold glitters. Sorry if I was over critical on this show since I had a tough night that time. Also, my expectations were rather high, especially after waiting so long. Plus the weather was cold. In any case, at least this show had some spunk in it, but I do not think that it will make it. It was slack in many areas.

Overall: 7.5./10

France

An excellent effort, probably near perfect, show. This was one of the most exciting displays this year with moments ranging from very quiet to sudden chaos! The weather also felt like one of the hottest days on record, not to mention a big crowd. The show was very well done. Synchronization was flawless and made the some of the fireworks work well, especially the way the red flares and lower effects at the bottom were dancing. Very nice tempo. The selcted soundtrack was excellent for this type of show, but I felt that some of the songs didn't exactly fulfill the overall meaning of the main theme, but that didn't really bother many of us that night! Colors were apparent with a huge range. My only criticisms were the fact that there was some slight redundancy with some effects and the link between the theme "Passion" and some of the music was not as evident. I'm sure the acrobats that were at La Ronde in this show was well done and nicely integrated! The finale was the best this year and made us feel good. The faux finales also gave a nice impression.

Overall: 8.8/10

Argentina

The weather was a lot cooler for this display, but comfortable. This show, despite what many of us, including myself, thought, it was one of the best shows there is this year, too! There was a huge variety of products and some traditional colors used. The theme "Tango" was highly connected to the music, especially my type of fast paced soundtrack! Once again, it felt like the fireworks were in Tango! This display was both creative and traditional in the way they demostrated their culture, and was quite loud at times! From beginning to end, there was non-stop action. I'm also guessing that the dancers also fitted well. Synchronization was excellent, though I felt that it was a bit slack in some spots. But then again, like I said then, this could have been because I was at a greater distance away from the radios out there. I have no doubt that it was perfect. The finale was intense, but repetitive and barely any color. The display, in general was well executed, especially the way it was attempted to their own culture. This could be a serious advantage.

Overall: 9.2/10

Sweden

Well, this was an almost practically perfect show, no doubt. The weather was threatening but at least it was comfortable. There was so much creativity and originality that was apparent that it ranged from extensive use of effects and superb color! The overall design also gave way to many authentic things we barely see! Of all displays, this one had the greatest variety of effects and there was never a time of a feeling of repetitiveness. The towers were also nicely used and I suspect that this will give them another advange. Also, the way it was used was excellent, especially in relation to the music. Another display that danced! The choice of music was probably the most enjoyable this year, especially from ABBA. So, this always makes you go more into the show. The other soundtracks also went well with the theme with taking us in their hometown. The only criticism that I can think of was that the use of the towers could have been used a tad bit more, but it was used extensively, nonetheless! The finale was the second best this year. A truly incredible display that is definitely a contender for 1st.

Overall: 9.5/10

Spain

Another pretty hot day for this team! About 30C! This show was different and mostly lower leveled. A lot of nice colors used which made the show sort of traditional and typical in which they were used. One of the major aspects of this show was the wequencing of the bright mines and flares, not to mention candles! As a resullt, synchronization was excellent and worked out well, especially with the selected colors. This show was also very original since most display don't really take this type of approach. It also worked well with the theme. There was a lot of use of those screaming serpents and many go-getters! However, I have some criticisms about the this show that should be taken seriously. The fact that the show was original in the lower effects did make it feel like the show was lost in the sense of balance between the lower effect to the high level effects. It was more concentrated at the bottom. There was quite a bit of repetition, as well especially with the serpents and the same idea of mines and candles, though this show had one of the best sequencing attempts. Despite this, the show was fabulous and the wide range of colors really made it creative at the lower levels. The finale was intense the way I like it, but too short.

Overall: 8.6/10

Czech Republic

For this show, the weather was, once again, hot, though less humid. This was the only show that was manually fired. For one thing, this show was very exciting and had probably the biggest range of effects and some unique colors, since it's products were from a big selection manufactuers. This also helps when they were creative, too! Although, this show was fired differently, I thought it was well done. However, the biggest weakness was the music/fireworks connection. This was the poorest yet, but keep in mind that it was manually fired. However, this criteria didn't work out well. The show felt very awkward at times when synchro was off. The theme was somewhat apparent with some of the music being relevant, but not the best choice. The show was not as original as I had hoped, and the rainbow wasn't exactly to my expectations. The finale was also weak in terms of longevity. In all, however, this was an excellent attempt from this first-timer.

Overall: 7.7/10

Portugal

The weather was at 26C and another perfect day! This was a very different display, especially at a huge attempt at choreography. The most distinct attempt of this show was a shot at how music was created from the fireworks in a way of rhythm. This was most predomiant in that segment with the photoflashes and salutes, especially the way the salutes sounded at different levels at the bottom. It's like they all created a specific note. Very authentic, though I'm not sure if the judges actually understood the relevance or what was being attempted there and other noticeable segments. The ring was probably my second favorite part to that salute segment. The music also made it enjoyable, tough I wish there was some more Portuguese music. The colors were evident, but not such a huge variety. And I wouldn't call the ring totally original even if it did evolve. The same idea was there as in 2002, but at least it was used differently. The hemisphere to my far right was also brilliant and different, though! Finally, I felt that some products were too frequent, like the crossettes. The finale was very transitional and enjoyable, but too short.

Overall:9/10

Canada

A fair night with 23C with some threatening clouds left use with a great setting, since these clouds failed to produce anything. The show was excellent and probably the second loudest and also the one that went 5 minutes overtime. The overall theme was great but some songs weren't clear to me, especially for the end. The narration was probably the longest this year and did distract a lot. The colors were excellent and there was a huge variety, however, some of the effects and other fireworks did not connect exactly with music on a few occasions. The finale was sort of broken up, but a decent length, but not good enough in intensity. Finally, I felt that this disply was more traditional than original, but this show, like Spain, had some nice sequencing.

Overall: 8/10

U.S.A

Rather cool conditions, almost like Australia, at 18C was the picture, but we had a powerful performance! This show was simply incredible and the loudest by far. I haven't felt so deaf for so long. A lot of salutes used in this show and a wide range of colors and effects. This show, like Canada, was pretty creative, but not as original, which was a downfall. However, everything else was followed. Some of the music was enjoyable, while others were just o, but it did work well with the show. A lot of patriotic colors in this show, too! But still, this show had many strong points and I feel that can kick in somehow. The finale was probably the 3rd best and very loud.

Overall: 9/10

In conclusion, this was a very tight year from the beginning and I feel that so many entrants deserve something. As for my personal predictions, this is what I think:

My jury final jury predictions:

1-Sweden
2-Argentina
3-U.S.A------->Portugal could also kick in.

My personal choice:

1-Sweden
2-U.S.A
3-France

Top 3 endings:

1-France
2-Sweden
3-U.S.A

^^^

This is the way I felt according to my tastes and what I look for.

In conclusion, though U.S.A wasn't as original, they still made up for some parts that Portugal didn't have. However, I suspect that Portugal could hit 3rd IF the judges actually understand the way the fireworks were used to sort of create music in several segments. Argentina was also a very complex show that really made us move through their culture. They also had some nice variations. Tango was very appropriate. The same deal could be said for Sweden, except this show had more creativity and had more of a "feel" to it. As a final note, I wouldn't be surprised if others like Spain or France come in 3rd either, as I still have some optimism for them, but Portugal had a strong attempt than they did with choreography, however, France or Spain could come in since they have an advantage that Portugal doesn't, but I'm more with France than Spain for obvious reasons. But my feelings are more with Portugal for third if U.S.A doesn't make it.

In any case, all will be revealed tonight. Also, keep in mind that we can also expect the unexpected as this has happened many times in the past!

Oh yes, don't forget to bring a radio!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2005 11:39:44

Well, my review is up now. As, I said, there could be surprises.

Enkil,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to talk to you on aim, as I'm going over to my grandfather's. I'll be leaving from there after, then going for supper and then to the fireworks.

Lets hope for a great ending and a loud show. Enjoy! I'll talk to you tomorrow and we'll discuss it then.

Enjoy and keep your fingers crossed! It's so sad, though.

Best regards,

Trav.

Posted: Jul 30, 2005 12:14:10

Smoke,

That's ok. I understand it will be a busy day for you. Though, it would have been nice to do that "last chat" before the fireworks, as we traditionally do.

Posted: Jul 30, 2005 21:09:27

Enkil,

Hey there! I know what you mean. It would have been nice to get a last conversation with you. But, we can discuss the results and use that as compensation! It'll be fun!

I had a great eening guessing the winners, but as I said, we did, indeed, see some surprises! One being Sweden not there! I don't know about you, but I felt that the end could have been better.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021