Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› 2005 Display Reviews —› Clips of the 2005 season
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 7, 2005 10:42:02

Hi Paul,

I just finished saving all the clips I have on DVD, that I have taken of the finales this season. They are in the .mov format. I'd like to send the DVD to you, so that everyone can view them. Please contact me at this address:

maplesyrup99@hotmail.com

Hoping that you are enjoying the wonderful weekend we are having!

Thank you.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 7, 2005 13:17:09

mais le online ton dvd

Posted: Aug 7, 2005 13:34:33

Hey Everyone,

Here is the list of the clips I have taken this year and my comments. I have also included the time that each clip lasts, which is not necessarly the duration of the finale, as I have sometimes missed either the start or the end of the finale.....and sometimes both!

1. Argentina's finale (1 min 9 sec)

That was the evening when I was late to the firework....so I was not as my usual spot on the bridge, so the display is much lower due to the distance. Also, I am sorry if you see the lampost on the right handside, which is a total distraction.....I had not realised it was there, while I was recording Also, a few seconds are missing of the end of the finale, but I can assure you that we did not miss much!

2. Canada's finale in three different clips(29 sec, 53 sec and 16 sec)

Due to the problems that Canada had with its finale, I stopped recording each time there was nothing happening.....I had more clips, but I did not keep them, either because too short or because there was nothing really important happening. In the last clip called Canada 3 which lasts 16 seconds, you will hear my amazement and disappointment, as I realise the finale has just ended!

3. Spain's finale (59 sec)

Not bad for a finale. It did start on the right track, but was way too short!

4. France's finale (1 min 3 sec)

The best finale this year!

5. La Ronde's finale (26 sec)

A very nice finale if you ask me. I would have put it in fourth place this year. Sorry if the clip is so short, but I had to change batteries while the finale was in progress, right in the middle of it......so we can't feel the build up, and missed the intensity growing That will teach me to put brand new batteries in my camera, just before the finale.....LOL

6. Portugal's finale (1 min 30 sec)

Nice finale with salutes at the very end Just not enough salutes and exploded too late after the ending.....oh well, I still enjoyed them!

7. Portugal salutes (32 sec)

That was the 2 minute long segment where they sent salutes only...I just recorded the last few seconds, since I did not think it would last so long!

8. Czech Republic's finale (51 sec)

The finale started pretty nicely......but lacked in intensity. I just LOVED the lower portion of the finale, on the right handside of the screen. Also enjoyed the salutes at the very end!

9. Sweden's finale (2 min)

My second best this year

10. USA's finale (2 min 31 sec)

My third best finale I love that barrage of salutes towards the end......the salutes kept increasing in intensity, which I simply adore

The only display I did not keep, is the one by Australia. The finale was not worth keeping, I thought.

I hope you will enjoy the clips.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 7, 2005 14:11:29

Hi Pierre!

twist27 is right. If you have the .mov files, you can upload them right away

You can use yousendit.com (you can upload up to 1GB files! They'll will be available for 7 days)

The one I'd recommand you to use is megaupload.com. You can upload the files and keep them online forever as long as at least one person downloads every 30 days.

Posted: Aug 7, 2005 16:15:15

i know i just registered here, and don't really have a right to ask things yet, but can you please put the files online so we can see them.

Posted: Aug 7, 2005 23:40:13

Maybe you can setup a .torrent . I will be pleased to seed it as long as I can. Bittorrent is great for large popular files since the more people are fetching the file, the more bandwith is available for others to join. See
http://www.bittorrent.com/
for the details.

Posted: Aug 8, 2005 11:59:15   Edited by: Smoke

Pierre and everyone else,

Sorry for the late reply and my absence for a while! I was in Cornwall again.

Anyways, I always look foward to this type of thread! It also seems that we agree on finale rankings! I read all your descriptions and I understand why you didn't bother to record Australia!

Once again, I'm waiting enthusiastically for these clips, though only 4 of them are worth watching, but still.

Finally, cheers to Pierre for his efforts and making all this possible!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 10, 2005 18:05:48

Hi Enkil, Twist27, Firework guy and Anonymous!

Thanks for all your suggestions for me to upload the files in here. Since I am no computer wizard, I prefer to send the dvd to Paul, so he can share them with all of you. I am sorry to make you wait and I just hate doing that! As soon as Paul contacts me, I will make sure he gets the dvd as quickly as possible.

Trav,

No need to apologize for the delay in replying....you have a life too, my friend!

About Australia, if my memory serves me right, either the memory in my camera became full, or the batteries died on me during the finale.......but the bit that I had recorded was really not worth keeping!

Take care, everyone!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 10, 2005 18:53:48

Hi Pierre!

Actually, believe me, you don't need to be a computer wizard to do this. As long as you have the .mov files, the rest is a piece of cake for you.

1. go to megaupload.com, click "Browse..." (select the .mov file)
2. Recipient's email (optional): enter "your email"
3. Your email (optional): enter "your email"
4. Please enter a meaningful file description: type anything you would like
5. Click on Send to upload.
5. Go to your email inbox and there, you'll see the URL, you'll have to post that link here.

And you can do this for each file.

If this still doesn't convince you or if you're having trouble, you can always send the DVD to me, if Paul doesn't have the time/chance. I have a DVDrom. I'd gladly do the job!

Posted: Aug 10, 2005 19:16:00

Hey Enkil,

Thank you for your help. Just a question though. Is that free? When I give my email online, I always fear they will send a bill later....LOL

I'll get back to you tomorrow.......Sweet dreams!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 10, 2005 19:31:35

Of course NOT! LOL

You know... in the pass, it was difficult for people to upload their large files on the internet, often you'd have a pay in order to get enough space and a good "file size" limit, but today, there's plenty free services where you can upload as much as you want

I think you still have a lot to discover about this wonderful thing called "Internet"

Posted: Aug 10, 2005 19:44:16

Hi Pierre,

Just wanted to thank you for providing us way to relive this year's competition. It really means a lot to me, and to others as well! Hopefully some day, we'll be able to watch the entire display from every country. Until then, we'll have to wait for another year to pass.

Dan

Posted: Aug 11, 2005 14:55:49

Enkil,

Please, contact me at this address:

maplesyrup99@hotmail.com

Thanks

Pierre

Posted: Aug 11, 2005 15:00:05

Hi Dan,

Well, the pleasure is mine .....but thank you for your nice message. Like you, I wish we could see the whole displays of each and every country......but I know this is asking for too much. If only I could see Italy's IPON finale of last year (3rd of July 2004)........I guess I will have to dream again

Take care!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 12, 2005 10:08:18   Edited by: Smoke

Hey Pierre!

Believe it or not, I was in Ottawa yesterday! Man, I'm up and down on the road, huh? Remember when I went to Gananoque and then to Quebec City last year? And then we had that big storm, too (August 10th)! Ironically enough, we had another storm a year later on August 10th, but not as intense! Perhaps one day I can share with you some fantastic photographs I got of the storm before it came, meaning the developments. It was beautiful.

Anyways, I was thinking, perhaps Enkil can help you with those finales? Sorry if I'm a little impatient! It's just that I can't wait! But it's not a big rush!

As for IPON's finale, well, I look foward to seing something like it, too! I want those deafening salutes! Kind of like that piece that we saw somewhere after the beginning in the Panzera show.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 15, 2005 17:38:51

Trav,

Yes, you do go up and down the road between Quebec and Ontario! That brings me to ask you....is Trav short for traveler? If it is, then my name should be Trav too as I love to travel a lot and drive.

I'd love to see those pictures of the thunderstorms that you took.....if you feel like sharing them with me, just send them to me at this address:

maplesyrup99@hotmail.com

.....that is, if you don't mind, of course!

As for the finales that I have recorded, I will be more than happy to send my dvd (which has been ready to send for a while now) to either Paul or Enkil........please guys, contact me at the email address above, so we can arrange a way for me to send you my dvd!!!

I am so sorry to make you all wait, but I could not download any of the files on the site that Enkil suggested. The easiest way for me, is to send my dvd to either Paul or Enkil.

Again, sorry about the delay!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 15, 2005 21:04:37   Edited by: Enkil

Pierre,

I've sent you an email long time ago, but I never heard from you.

Anyways, I will sent you my home address right away so you can send me the DVD.

Posted: Aug 16, 2005 15:27:53

Hi Enkil,

I just checked my mail and still did not get your email.....but I checked my level of protection and it was on "high" and this is probably why I did not receive your emails.....so you can try again, sending your email and this time, I will likely receive it.

Thanks.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 16, 2005 16:00:25

Pierre,

I've send you another one. You should check your Junk mail, it might be there, or maybe your email box is full?

Anyways, let me know if your recieved it.

Posted: Aug 16, 2005 18:20:56

Hi Enkil,

Yes, I did receive your email, thank you The problem was the level of protection on my email account! Now, go in your mailbox..........the mailman did a special evening delivery today!

Pierre

Posted: Aug 17, 2005 09:01:49   Edited by: Enkil

Pierre,

I did indeed recieve it this morning

I'm in process uploading them. But I have to leave soon. If it's not done by this afternoon, it will definitely be ready for tonight.

Posted: Aug 17, 2005 13:43:03

Hi Enkil,

No problem my friend. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it very much

Pierre

Posted: Aug 19, 2005 12:40:56   Edited by: Smoke

Hey Pierre,

It looks like Enkil is finished! Actually, it was posted 2 days ago! I'm going to check them out.

It's always great to watch them, especially through your eyes, Pierre!

As for the thunderstorm pictures I took, I'll be sending them to you soon! I think you'll love them. But remember, I didn't actually get many pictures when the storm was directly overhead. I have a couple of those, though. However, when it was developing was even more anticipating!

Trav.

Posted: Aug 21, 2005 19:40:47

Trav,

It is fun to watch fireworks from different angles. With those clips, you'll see how they looked, standing on the bridge. I am sure that you got a different view from Notre-Dame and I am sure that it's interesting to watch, wherever angle you take to watch them....as long as you are not too far away!

I did receive your beautiful pictures, Trav, and I have replied to your message. Thank you so much for sending them! Not only are you talented for commenting on firework displays, but you are also talented for photography! Also, you seem pretty interested and knowledgeable of weather related subjects, so I would see you working as a weather anchorman or meteorologist, at Météomédia!

Have you ever thought of that?

Take care, my friend.

Pierre

Posted: Aug 25, 2005 18:45:50   Edited by: Smoke

Pierre,

It's always better when you're not too far away! Notre-Dame has a fantastic view way up front by the steel gate, but you'll have to go a bit earlier. However, you won't be disappointed. You can even see most of the lower effects, but not in great detail.

As for thunderstorms and my fascination with weather, your interpretation was bang on the mark! I've always wanted to become a meteorologist and work for TWN/Meteomedia or Environment Canada! It's funny you brought that up! I guess you've noticed my in-depth analysis of weather on this forum in that weather thread as I gave reports for the entire season! I like to be in detail when giving those reports and give different meteorological concepts and aspects that could relate to the current conditions and no doubt influence any sudden changes in the atmosphere. Trust me, I don't write so much details for nothing! It's always good no know things like humidity, temperature fluctuations, winds and wind direction (VERY IMPORTANT), pressure, as well as dewpoints. All relate to one another in some way, but not in direct fashion, making it complex. However, despite all my reports, you can never be 100% with the weather. All the threats that were forecasted this year did not happen, as was the case last year, though, in the case of this year, rain did hurt a couple of competitors i.e. Sweden and Australia. However, it's always important to know the possibilities that can occur at the given day and time. In this case, you can never be sure if it will happen or not and also, the fireworks are heavily reliant on weather conditions and for the people to know how to equip themselves in case of anything, right? Anyways, this is why I volunteered to give frequent reports and updates. I feel like it's my job to keep you all informed! It is important!

Anyways, Pierre, I did get your message and replied to it. Once again, I really thank you for your kind remarks and I'm happy that you loved the thunderstorm development pictures. It's always a pleasure to share them with a fellow fireworks and thunderstorm enthusiast! And yes, I'm hoping to take more pictures of storms and other natural things in future. I also want to take pics of fireworks, too, for next season!

And Pierre, you have obvious talents, too! Just think about it!

Regards,

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021