Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Caballer (Spain) vs Weco (Germany
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 7, 2004 10:25:06

this question would be more for Paul and the judges

if Spain's display was perfect with no technical problems, and without the narrations, do u think it could have beat China, France and Germany?

i know everyone has its own opinion, but i just want to see the opinions of the experts

and i know that what happened happened, but do u think the whole intensity (which was prolly the highlight of the show) could have beat Germany's display?

or maybe u just found the display not good enough in creativity and synchronization

i think this question will finally confirm that everyone has a different opinion on how a display should be

Posted: Aug 7, 2004 11:16:49

The important point to note is that it doesn't matter how good a display would have been in theory, what counts is how it turned out on the night. Every display this year was creative in a different way but Weco's stood out because of the audacious risks they took which, luckily for them, paid off. Even though their display was not technically perfect, their risk-taking was rewarded. It becomes pointless to discuss which other display might have won had it been different (less narration etc.) since, in that case, it would not have been the same display.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 7, 2004 14:07:18

I guess I can say the same thing.

As much as Spain was the best, in terms of excitment, it really depends on the how it was done and the way it came out, as Paul said. It also determines on how creative and original it was. It could also be the choice of music, which is usually a final determinant to the judges.

However, in the case of Weco, the risks they took ended up working out for them, so they were fortunate. In fact, they took such big risks with the weather and that waterfall that NOTHING bad happened! As a result, they ended up being one of the most creative and original. This was the case.

Although it still puzzles me that Holland wasn't in the finalists list. I though for sure that they would be there! They were quite creative, as well, and very sucessful, no doubt. Whereas France had some problems with one of the towers and others here and there, too, plus, they didn't use the towers enough.

I also was hoping Italy would be in there. Very surprising results. I'm not that surprised of China being there, though. They also did a great job.

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Aug 9, 2004 08:48:25

Enkil,

I still believe that Caballers concept wasn't strong enough. Last year the gold and silver jupiters (Feux Royal and Explosive) had strong themes, one appealing to excitement and another one to fear (anyway it would give you goosebombs, if you know what i mean...)

Therefore i think it is the greatest whole impression of a "full theme" the judges fall for. The idea of having conversations is okay, but like many others have stated not 8-9 times during the show and not one minute each time. Anyway with some narrations you would be able to link virtually all songs, making it an easier way than for instance the german (or JNS).

But let there be no doubt that i believe that Caballer (and Weco with IPON-material) had the best quality of the 6 shows i saw. Therefore there is a huge potential and i don't doubt their hard work and efford to please the judges

The germans just made a better whole like Feux Royal last year and it was for sure awarded

Lars

Posted: Aug 10, 2004 07:31:15

I agree with Lars on their concept not being strong enough, which is probably why it wasn't so appealing to the judges.

However, I believe that they were the most exciting firm, despite the big narration pauses. The intensity quickly made up for that!

I also think that they had great quality, ot to mention great colours used, plus an incredible finale. Out of all the shows this year, I've never seen the audience, including myself, so excited during almost a full 30 or more minutes! This is usually rare. Once again, in my opinion, the best show, in terms of excitement!

And yes, you're right, Lars, the show was missing concept, but I also think that it was missing originality. Depite all this, though, from what I remember in that show, I'm really not complaining! Spain really knows how to excite the Montreal audience, not to mention IPON or Igual!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 3, 2005 06:49:16

what are goosebombs???

Posted: Dec 3, 2005 11:14:52

Anonymous,

I really don't know. I actually thought you were trying to imply "goosebumps." But goosebombs? I never heard of that! If it exists, I'm more than willing to hear a definitive description!

Regards,

Trav.

Posted: Dec 4, 2005 08:23:12

its a title on the new cd of seeed, if you know the band.

and lars jused the word so i thought he might know it...

regards, m.

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 08:24:03

I'm pretty sure Lars meant to say "goosebumps" rather than "goosebombs". I would imagine one would see a lot of goose "bombs" under their flight path when migrating south for the winter

Paul.

Posted: Dec 9, 2005 11:14:49

My thoughts exactly, Paul. But still, I want to ask Lars about that.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 11, 2005 09:25:40   Edited by: Lars

I can confirm that you are right about me spelling "goosebombs" wrong... If it was not the case it would be a rather bizzarre pyrotechnic article

Anyway - merry christmas and a happy new year to you guys

Lars

Posted: Dec 13, 2005 20:44:11

Merry Christmas to you, too, Lars.

And thanks for the clarifications. It was rather amusing in figuring out what you meant by "goosebombs."

Good to hear from you after many months!

Trav.

Posted: Dec 20, 2005 08:01:21

Hi Trav

I've been quite busy lately so i haven't updated myself on this forum as frequently as i ought to

I forgot to also wish you a happy new year. For once I am going to celebrate new year like ordinary people since i have decided not to organize a professional display show. It will be nice to be able to watch "what all the other people have bought" since it's usually the other way around

Lars

Posted: Dec 25, 2005 09:53:59

Hey Lars,

Well, today is Christmas so I want to wish you a good one from me and all of us here! And yes, it's always a pleasure to watch a display from other perspectives!

And I'm really hoping from the bottom of my heart that you can make it to the 2006 Montreal fireworks competition! I know you had important reasons last year, but lets hope things will turn out otherwise this time, my friend! An interesting year, as always, on the way!

Best wishes,

~Travis.~

Posted: Dec 25, 2005 14:58:55

Hi Trav

I don't think I will go to Montreal for some years from now... The competition in Tarragona will have a jubilee-edition in 2006 where the old winners will participate: IPON (as we all love), Ricardo Caballer (Ricasa), Igual/Pirogestion, La Rosa Lorenzo, Pirotechnia Turis/Arco Iris and Tamaya will compete and it is surely going to be intense I believe!

I know it's quite different from Montreal since it's traditional displays, but it's still some of the worlds best manufacturers firing massive amounts of material by digital firing systems, so it's still very thrilling!

But for now I am looking forward to NewYears eve - I am preparing for 2 examns in january and there are quite some bangs in the evenings so the atmosphere is set... But it will be interessting to see how much fireworks there will be in the sky this new years eve in Denmark. The disaster last year have really caused problems for the business...

Anyway - have a happy new year in Canada!

Kind regards,
Lars

Posted: Feb 17, 2006 15:10:41   Edited by: Smoke

Hello Lars,

Well, I'll be darned! I haven't posted here in almost 2 months. Shame on me! And yet I'm the one who complains about it being quiet here. The activity on the forum is superbe this year, unlike the way it was last year!

Anyhow, Lars, I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to attend the competition this year. To be perfectly honest with you, I would have really loved it if you could have made it because you also have very good insight when you comment on the pyromusical shows.

But, oh well, I won't be persistent and keep asking you, but as long as you come eventually, then I'll be happy for you. On the bright side, I see you get to go to Tarragona. I know you had a neat experience last year and are certainly going to feel the same when attending this year. If you want to, you can always comment on some of the displays here! I'd like that very much.

Finally, though it's late for this, happy new year to you.

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021