Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› the weather is really awful tonight
Last poster Message

Posted: Jul 11, 2007 17:31:18

I am downtown and I can barely see the bridge from my office cause the light is so dim and skies so whitish (they call it "brume sèche" on meteomedia - whatever that means, right now the "brume " is wet wet wet

So I will not be going to see the show tonight - I don't even know at this point if it will take place -

So sorry about that so no images from me tonight - we will rely on Bob for his wonderful images.

Posted: Jul 11, 2007 18:24:11

Rachel,

the shows are never canceled! This rain will stop by 7pm and then there's a good chance the sun will come out. So, please, be optimistic and head out and take some more of your wonderful photos!

Cheers,

Paul.

Posted: Jul 11, 2007 18:39:19

rachelita,

I assure you that tonight's weather will be wonderful. 95% sure.

Posted: Jul 12, 2007 15:43:09   Edited by: Smoke

Rachel,

I certainly hoped that you attended the Chinese performance last night since the weather was nearly perfect for the display. Unlike the afternoon hours when the frontal system was passing through Southern Quebec, there was merely the chance of a thundershower and a lingering shower in the evening since we were behind the cold front by at least 6:30 p.m (that's why I recommended to bring an umbrella, just in case). If you were in places, say in Quebec City or Sherbrooke, then the night would have been awful.

I'm not sure if you read my weather reports or saw the weather analysis elsewhere among other sources, but we were fine last night. If you did go, I really look foward to seeing your pictures.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 12, 2007 16:00:59

Sorry Travis - I did not go - it took a while before it cleared up - and I would have had to leave my house at about 8pm to make it there in time - Sorry I missed that one - But I will go next saturday and next wednesday - I have already lined up two of my friends to go with me

Posted: Jul 12, 2007 20:38:29   Edited by: Smoke

Rachel,

Don't worry about it. At least you you get to read our reports and subsequent thoughts on the display.

I look forward to seeing your pictures for the upcoming displays. If you need any weather information, though, visit the weather thread where I constantly post reports near and/or on the days of fireworks. This way you can be prepared and know the specifics. I usually take information from several sources and compile them into a report analyzing all the possibilities to the best of my knowledge.

In any case, again please don't worry about missing the performance. Hope to see you around soon.

Trav.

Posted: Jul 16, 2007 18:48:04   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Rachel,

I was wondering if you attended the American display, or were you intimidated by the weather again. I thought that maybe you didn't get the chance because I didn't see any of your pictures with along side of Bob's. It's not a big deal if you couldn't make it and I'm sure you have your reasons behind it.

Hope to hear from you again!

Trav.

Posted: Jul 16, 2007 22:49:39

hey Trav - I cannot get to the fireworks by car, so unless I have a lift, or dare go by myself and walk back home at 11pm, then I will not venture in the rain as I have to get there for about 9 at the latest, and wait one hour - so if it rains, not very good for the equipment so I do not really venture out at these times in the rain -

One opf my girl friends dropped me at the last minute on Saturday night to go to tremblant Blues festival or something like that so I was yet again left to get there and back by myself

On Wednesday, I have another friend (a male friend, much more reliable hehe) who will take me to Ile Charron, so this is the spot that you really liked, so here you go, you will see my images from next Wednesday, almost for sure.

Sorry to disappoint you again - I was the one who was most disappointed when I saw all this rain coming down all night, pouring like crazy even at 10pm

Posted: Jul 17, 2007 00:58:28   Edited by: Smoke

Hi Rachel,

Again, it's no big deal. Hopefully, everything will work out the way you planned it for this Wednesday. I'm also glad that you've decided in chosing that spot again since it's so appealing and so integral. And yes, that's the spot I very much like!

As for the weather, well believe it or not, we were spared between 10-10:30 with only dense overcasted cloud, some occasional light drizzle, fair winds coming from the South/West and a good percentage of humidity and moisture (thank goodness for the winds present at the time)! After that, at about 10:45 on the way back to the West Island, the rain quickly resumed and really came down with tremendous force with each droplet greater than 2 millimeters in diameter (the average diameter of a fully-fledged raindrop is 2 mm). In any case, the Americans were spared the possible onslaught and thus every single participant, so far, had a successful evening. I'm a little concerned for Canada at the moment since there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms. As always, I'll provide updates in the weather thread. We'll see what happens!

If I was in your predicament, though, I probably wouldn't have ventured out there myself given the circumstances. Honestly, this July really sucked with respect to the weather.

Hope to hear from you again!

Trav.

Page loading time (sec.): 0.019