Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› OFFICIAL SCHEDULE 2009
<< . 1 . 2 .
Last poster Message

Posted: Feb 17, 2009 21:00:36

I have it on good authority that the full schedule will be released in about 3 weeks time. You can be sure the news will but put up here just as soon as it's made public.

Paul.

Posted: Feb 17, 2009 22:54:58

Thank you very much for the update, Paul. So we can expect it sometime close to the 10th of March, but I still wonder what the reason(s) is behind the delay for releasing the schedule this year. Not that it matters, but it does invite curiosity.

Trav.

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 12:33:40

[/i]I have it on good authority that the full schedule will be released in about 3 weeks time. You can be sure the news will but put up here just as soon as it's made public.

Paul.[i]

3 weeks time from your post puts us at right around today. I'm getting antsy. When the heck are we going our fix. Sort of like a druggie, needing to score. Lol .
I'm really curious to get some info on the competitors and see if a few of the rumours I've heard will ring true.

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 13:06:48

So, yeah, today is exactly 3 weeks since Paul posted that message (I had March 10th stuck in my head ever since lol), so I'm sure we can expect the new schedule very soon.

Trav.

Posted: Mar 13, 2009 09:16:13

I have it on good authority that PyroMagic Productions will be producing this year's entry from Hong Kong/China.

Sean

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 13:56:34   Edited by: fredbastien

We now have the full 2009 schedule:

Saturday, June 13 - Opening - Panzera
Saturday, June 20 - Spain - Pirotecnia Igual
Saturday, June 27 - UK - Pains Fireworks
Saturday, July 4 - Australia - Foti
Saturday, July 11 - Hong Kong/China - Pyromagic
Saturday, July 18 - Argentina - Fuegos Artificiales Jupiter
Saturday, July 25 - Quebec/Canada - Royal Pyrotechnie
Saturday, August 1st - USA - Melrose Pyrotechnics
Saturday, August 8 - South Africa - Fireworks for Africa
Saturday, August 15 - Closing - Concept Fiatlux
Saturday, August 22 - Award Ceremony

The jury will have 25 members, as it had from 1992 to 2001. The press release now states that we will have a 50-minute closing show. Surprisingly, it is also announced that the award ceremony will happen one week after the closing show, that is, on Saturday, August 22th and that pyrotechnic pieces will be fired that night. It may be a sign that the jury will work in a different way this year.

Fred

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 17:49:11

Woo nice shedule, melrose comeback and Fiatlux for closing display?

Exellent choice for 2009 shedule! Igual, Pyromagic, Pains, Foti, Melrose!! WOW!

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 19:24:10   Edited by: Rovira

WOW! A very special shedule again !!!! More conservative than other years but with a great level !!!

I'm happy to see Igual on there, I'm sure they're going to do a very special show again... they know very good the Montreal competition.

Very good to see Jupiter, Pains, Melrose Pyrotechnics and Foti again on the shedule. I enjoyed the Jupiter show in 2005, it was almost perfect. All three did winner shows on the last years with a very good quality.

It's great too to see the changes on the shedule. I said some times before that it could be great to see some other companies doing the closing ceremony.. and this year we got it ! Panzera is still ther but now on the oppening display! Very god idea !!

Nice to see again Fireworks for africa and Pyromagic there. And of course Royal, they were the winners of the 2003 season (am I right?)

In conclusion, GREAT GREAT GREAT shedule.

I'm not going to be in Montreal this year, but I'm sure this web page will share the videos with us like the last season.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 22:32:55   Edited by: reflections_of_earth

that's a very nice schedule almost like a champion of the champions competition...
well im sure sure am hoping for the videos this year hihihi....

Regards to all..
Vander

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 00:44:13   Edited by: Smoke

Happy first day of Spring, all! The season officially arrives in about 6 hours (6:45 a.m EDT). However, it won't feel much like Spring this morning as a combination of bone-chilling temperatures and breezy Northerly winds will be present. A warm up is on the way, though.

Anyway, finally, the official schedule has been released, and just in time for Spring's arrival - thank you very much for that, Fred!

A few things to comment on. First, it's great to hear that the closing show will now be extended to 50 minutes in duration, but I find it odd that Panzera is not making the presentation, especially considering that this is the 25th anniversary. Any particular reason behind that? Also, will 30 minutes be allocated to the award ceremony? As for the jury, it's really nice to see a total of 25 members once again.

After all these years, I never thought I'd see a schedule like that - it looks so fulfilling. My favorite part of it, of course, is Igual representing Spain! I somehow knew Foti would return for Australia, as well as Fireworks For Africa for South Africa (they did a fastastic job in 2006) and Pyromagic representing China.

Can't wait to see how the schedule of 2009 will look on this website! What a unique season this is turning out to be, and hopefully with promising weather to back it up through to the end.

EDIT: Just to correct, Spring arrived 7:44-45 a.m EDT, not 6:45 a.m - I forgot not to factor in daylight savings with respect to GMT/UTC. Either way, the season has officially arrived.

Cheers,

Trav.

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 13:55:58

Salut

WOW!WOW!!WOW!!! Merci Fred pour la liste des firmes. Un choix vraiment formidable de la part de l'organisation des feux...tous des gagnants . Je suis très satisfait et j'ai bien hâte que cà commence.Que j'aimerais faire partie du jury qui aura la grosse responsabilité de désigner les gagnants. Je suis aussi d,accord avec cette semaine de délai entre le dernier concurrent et l'annonce des gagnants. Par expérience je sais que le risque de l'effet du feu le plus récent est réel. ..Il y a aussi le risque de moins se souvenir des premiers feux..J'aimerais bien lire des statistiques à ce sujet. Les mesures prises par l'organisation vont surement supporter le jury. Bravo.
Et maintenant que la fête commence!!!!et j'en serai.

Roger

Posted: Mar 21, 2009 18:39:42

Does anybody knows when we could know the theme and the music for each display? I don't know if we're close or if it's during the weeks before the competition.

Posted: Mar 22, 2009 13:50:17   Edited by: fredbastien

Je partage l'enthousiasme de la plupart d'entre vous pour ce calendrier, que je désespérais de plus en plus de recevoir considérant les difficultés financières de Six Flags. Il s'agit d'une édition qui promet d'être à mi-chemin entre une saison régulière et une édition spéciale comme celle connue en 2004. Je savais depuis l'été dernier que l'édition 2009 ne serait pas semblable à celle du 20e anniversaire, mais la liste des participants (5 gagnants de Jupiter d'or sur 8 participants, aucune recrue) donne à croire qu'on a peut-être espéré, pendant un moment, rééditer cette formule qui avait rendu la saison 2004 si particulière. Ce sera sans doute pour le 30e anniversaire en 2014... si la tradition continue jusque-là!

On s'écarte cette année de la tendance des dernières saisons, avec l'absence de nouvelles firmes et le retour de participants moins de 3 ans après leur dernière participation. Mais personne ne se plaindra de revoir plus tôt que prévu Pains Fireworks après leur prestation de 2007! Concernant Pyromagic, il serait pertinent de savoir si le concepteur Patrice Guy est impliqué (comme en 2003) ou non (comme en 2007). La firme sud-africaine, la seule participante de cette année à ne pas être déjà montée sur le podium, avait offert un superbe spectacle en 2006 (ceux présents se souviendront de la panne électrique qui avait paralysé La Ronde ce soir-là... sauf les feux!).

Au rang des absents, je regrette qu'on n'ait pas profité de l'occasion pour permettre à l'équipe française de Brezac Artifices de tenter à nouveau sa chance de monter sur la plus haute marche du podium, après le Jupiter d'argent en 2006.

Personnellement, je ne suis pas un grand fan de l'orientation artistique qui caractérise Concept Fiatlux. Cependant, considérant que des performances du Cirque du Soleil seront vraisemblablement intégrées au spectacle de clôture, je pense qu'il s'agit d'un choix judicieux. Concept Fiatlux favorise les feux de proximité, les effets en basse altitude. En temps normal, cela contraste (négativement, je pense) avec l'ampleur du déploiement des autres firmes. Mais pour que l'arrimage entre la pyrotechnie et les acrobaties soit efficace, je soupçonne que cette orientation artistique particulière sera probablement plus appropriée.

Also, will 30 minutes be allocated to the award ceremony?

Trav, the press release only states that some pyrotechnic pieces will be fired the award ceremony night, on August 22th. I am sure that you should not expect one more 30-minute show that night. I suppose these pieces will be the same than those which burst as each winner is announced.

Je suis aussi d,accord avec cette semaine de délai entre le dernier concurrent et l'annonce des gagnants. Par expérience je sais que le risque de l'effet du feu le plus récent est réel. ..Il y a aussi le risque de moins se souvenir des premiers feux..J'aimerais bien lire des statistiques à ce sujet.

Roger, je ne sais pas si les membres du jury auront effectivement une semaine de recul pour faire leur choix final (ce qui impliquerait qu'on leur permette de réviser leur pointage des feux antérieurs, comme c'était le cas jusqu'en 2003), ce n'était qu'une hypothèse de ma part et, à l'heure actuelle, la seule explication que je vois pour justifier ce délai dans la remise des prix.

Concernant les statistiques, voici une mise à jour. Considérons les firmes ayant obtenu l'une des trois premières positions lors de toutes les éditions du concours depuis l'instauration d'un jury populaire (1992-2008). Sur ces 17 éditions, 1 des 17 premiers feux en compétition (6%) a été récompensé d'un Jupiter. À l'opposé, 11 des 17 derniers feux (65%) ont été couronnés d'un Jupiter. Si nous considérons les trois premiers feux en compétition lors de chaque saison, nous obtenons alors 10 gagnants sur 51 feux (20%). Parmi les trois derniers feux en compétition chaque année, 28 sur 51 (55%) ont reçu un Jupiter. (Aux fins de ces calculs, afin de standardiser l'analyse, les 3 finalistes de l'édition spéciale 2004 sont considérés comme des gagnants, même si seul un Jupiter platine était remis.)

Fred

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 07:35:10

One thing I have noted as unusual is that Fireworks for Africa are competing one week apart in the province of Quebec.

On July 29th the will be competing at the Loto-Quebec International Fireworks Competition at Montmorency Falls, then on August 8th at Laronde.

Past rules for Laronde have been that a firm competing at Laronde cannot compete in other competitions in Canada within the same year.

Sean

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 11:17:42

Fred,

Even if the fireworks are not expected to last for a full 30 minutes on August 22nd for the award ceremony, could we still expect a grand finale following the announcement of the winners, or will that traditionally be done at the end of the closing display taking place during the previous Saturday, the 15th? On a related note, is there any reason behind why Panzera should not present the closing display? I'm just curious because, with all honesty, I don't have too much confidence in Concept Fiatlux preparing an overall powerful display, including an appropriately strong finish. Then again, we haven't really seen powerful finales from Panzera since 2004, so who knows...

Sean,

It may be possible that the rule no longer applies, or else the African firm likely would not be permitted to compete in the first place if it did - either that, or some negotiation took place between both La Ronde and the firm ahead of time. I'm just wondering, but hasn't it occurred that several other firms in the past that presented at La Ronde competed elsewhere in Canada during the same year?

Anyhow, I'm not at all too sure how it works, but that would be my take on it. It is interesting to consider.

Trav.

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 15:30:13

the press release only states that some pyrotechnic pieces will be fired the award ceremony night, on August 22th. I am sure that you should not expect one more 30-minute show that night. I suppose these pieces will be the same than those which burst as each winner is announced.

I have a feeling that the leftovers will be fired on that night instead of making a 'feu des Pyjamas' which is actually not happening anymore. Those leftovers were fired in the La Ronde employes' gala last year. If Fred is right, i'm sorry but there's no point to announce that pieces will be launched.

Happy 25th everyone !!!

Posted: Mar 23, 2009 17:10:40

Here is the press release. The only piece of information we have is the following:

"Cette année, la remise des jupiters sera exceptionnellement faite lors d'un gala, le samedi 22 août. Il s'agira d'une soirée à laquelle le public sera convié et au cours de laquelle des pièces pyrotechniques seront lancées."

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/March2009/19/c2531.html

Fred

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 10:19:20

Fred, i was not blaming you, i got the same press release you know... Those were just my personnal thoughts. Or hopes

Posted: Apr 12, 2009 23:53:25

Paul,

Will the 2009 schedule be put up on the main page some time soon for everyone to see? I'm just curious to see its appearance since it is formulated a little differently, particularly with a separate night dedicated for the awards ceremony.

Oh yes, I also look forward to the new look for this website.

Happy Easter weekend to everyone.

Trav.

Posted: Apr 14, 2009 21:45:45

Finally got the schedule up. Very busy at the moment. The "new look" for this site will appear after the official press conference for this year's competition, or 1st June, which ever comes first

Paul.

Posted: Apr 15, 2009 01:08:33

Hi Paul,

The schedule looks fantastic. Again, I look forward to the new appearance of the website.

Thanks for posting the schedule!

Trav.

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 01:26:06

I hope that Quebec will give us a good show. The reason I say this is because we are going to be looking at the artistic work of Royale, one of the best firework firms in Quebec. Truly awesome firm! I remember last time Royale gave us a show, I really enjoyed. Neat and powerful finale. Can we at least expect something from the Québecois?

Pat

Posted: Apr 20, 2009 19:15:33

Hello my fellow pyromaniacs,

It's been a while since I've been here. My apologies, really busy at school.

Anyways, the schedule looks really awesome. Really nice firms, all on Saturdays ... meaning I can watch all of them with no problems this year, absolutely fantastic.

The only thing which bugs me though is the Awards Ceremony being held after the Closing Display. Not sure about the logic, but "closing" generally means the ending lol. Anyways, looks like Six Flags is extending the festival to the maximum in order to get every last client to come to the park. Having the Festival around brings a certain joy to La Ronde, very different atmosphere when fireworks are over .

Humm, all this talk about amusement parks makes me want to watch Beverley Hills Cop 3. Sounds like a plan.

Ciao,
Dan

Posted: Apr 21, 2009 17:33:37   Edited by: Smoke

Hello Dan,

It really has been quite some time since we've seen you around here, my friend. Nice to see your presence again. Like you, I've been all caught up with school or examination preparations and thus constrained for time on many things.

Indeed, having all displays taking place solely on Saturdays is most convenient for, I'm sure, the vast majority of people. I've been raising these points several times already, but I, too, must concur with regard to the fact that the awards ceremony should be held separate from the actual closing display. This does give way to a feeling of anti-climax, especially since we're all so used to, after all these years, building up anticipation just before the winners are announced and to a well and appropriately organized 30-minute performance following that. Why this must be so still remains a mystery to me. Equally thought-perplexing is the fact that Panzera isn't concocting the closing show, but rather the opening. All that said, the schedule again looks fantastic and I hope for some innovative and powerful/wild displays this season - we've been long overdue for power.

On a side note, there is a slight possibility that we could strike 30 C (in April?), if not close it, by Saturday into possibly Sunday (25th-26th). Be sure to enjoy the weekend!

Take care,

EDIT: Happy Earth Day, everyone (the 22nd of April)! Hope everyone is doing something, even if small, for the environment today!

Trav.

Posted: May 15, 2009 19:04:55   Edited by: Mylene Salvas

Encore du temps (et de la place ?) pour devenir juge : Mylene et artifice

Posted: May 16, 2009 09:24:05

Des billets pour les feux à 25$ incluant une entrée sur le site de La Ronde à partir de 17h sont maintenant disponibles sur le site web d'Admission, où je note également deux changements par rapport à l'an passé.

1. Les sections de la Place du Canada ont été renumérotées et on revient à trois divisions: or, argent et bronze (la division Argent Plus introduite l'an dernier n'est plus).

2. La mention selon laquelle les feux sont présentés "beau temps, mauvais temps" a été remplacée par "peut être remis au lendemain". Si le temps est pluvieux, on assistera peut-être aux premiers reports de feux dans l'histoire du concours...

Fred
<< . 1 . 2 .

Page loading time (sec.): 0.021