Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› General —› Ipon Setup
Last poster Message

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 20:44:35

Hey Paul,

After watching the IPON finale in 2004, I wonder. How come the finale was on the right side of the firing ramps? Wouldn't there be too many fireworks for just that area?

Because having watched USA's display, it seems they had an extension close to Le Vampire where the set some extra 12" mortars.

I find it odd that a large IPON finale can be done with only one side of the firing ramp. Have you noticed no Studata Lampi's haven't been fired since IPON presented us their display? I'd love to see those shells again, my favorite! I'd even love to see my favorite firm IPON make La Ronde roar in approval once again anyday! But until Pagano's factory is completed (which im sure it is), it might take a while to get them back to make a display at La Ronde.

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 20:52:20   Edited by: fireworksforum

You watched it edge-on - the fireworks at the "right" were thunder mine candles (probably Panzera ones) on ramp 3 which, when viewed from the bridge, is what you thought you saw.

IP used studata lambis in their display in 2007. Panzera often do - though I'm not sure if they did this year or not - it was hard to tell on the video.

This year, there were no extensions on ramp 1 for extra 12" shells - everyone was able to fit them into the 5 firing positions that are there. In the past, I have seen extra barricades set up at either end of ramp 1 to give some extra positions, but no-one needed these this year.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 20:59:27

You watched it edge-on - the fireworks at the "right" were Panzera thunder mine candles on ramp 3 which, when viewed from the bridge, is what you thought you saw.

This is what we saw in IPON's finale in 2004? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VHAv5Q3oAw

But it seems thousands of shells were fired only on the right in the finale

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:02:25

Ah, I was getting mixed up with the YouTube Panzera 2004 show!

But in that video above, there's nothing extra at the right hand side - it was just the crazy filming - everything looks normal to me.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:05:05

The finale seems to be closer to the trees to me

Speaking of which, what is that blue and white stuff they use to cover mortars? Aren't they supposed to be foil? Must cost them lots of money in that stuff every year

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:12:20

It's because of where they filmed from. A lot of the salutes and other smaller shells are fired from ramp 2, not ramp 1.

And I just found this video of that finale filmed from Notre Dame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJnOF_a8cc&feature=related

It looks more symmetrical from there.

what is that blue and white stuff they use to cover mortars? Aren't they supposed to be foil?

They don't use foil, just blue plastic (sometimes white). Foil is only used over quickmatch to prevent sparks from setting it off; for shells that are individually ematched, there's no need.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:23:23

Ahah, thanks for the help Paul!

They don't use foil, just blue plastic (sometimes white). Foil is only used over quickmatch to prevent sparks from setting it off; for shells that are individually ematched, there's no need.

Ahah, I didn't know that. Because I had pieces of the plastic flying over my head during Royal's display. Yeah I've noticed when I go on the Grande Roue, all the setup is in blue and white. . What a cleanup after a display like IPON's!

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:44:48

I don't know where the noise comes from, but I hear it every time I go to La Ronde, it sounds like salutes coming from West of Île Ste-Hélène. Do they have a firing area to set them off? Why should they set if off there and not save it for the Pyjama display? Oh goodness, I'd love a picture of me with a 12" shell! Is it even possible to get a picture of me with a shell?

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:47:33

I don't know where the noise comes from, but I hear it every time I go to La Ronde, it sounds like salutes coming from West of Île Ste-Hélène.

It's the fort and they fire historic blackpowder weapons! It has surprised me a few times too!

I'd love a picture of me with a 12" shell!
I should post the picture of me next to a 48" shell at the Symposium in Japan or the 6 foot long multi-break Maltese shell that I was photographed lying next to at the FFFF Club meeting in Florida a couple of years back

Paul.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 21:55:54

I should post the picture of me next to a 48" shell at the Symposium in Japan or the 6 foot long multi-break Maltese shell that I was photographed lying next to at the FFFF Club meeting in Florida a couple of years back

Paul, fireworks don't scare me, but if I were next to THAT I would need a change of underwear! I'd love to see a 6' multi-break shell at the competition. They should allow 14" shells to be the maximum, even though on special events they have used them. Has USA this year use any 14"? Before the last 15 seconds, the shells were extremley powerful.

I remember going to the Fort with my school on a trip. They fired guns from the 1700's that looked like half gun and half clarinet still gets to me every time I think about it.

But would I have the permission to take pictures of the setup of have a picture of me with a shell for the matter?

Pat

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 22:02:48

They should allow 14" shells to be the maximum, even though on special events they have used them. Has USA this year use any 14"?

No-one has used anything over 12" since the 1st year when Japan fired a 24" shell and nearly burned down Le Monstre.

Paul

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 22:11:25

In general in Canada, 12" shells are the largest used, though bigger shells have been fired on occasion.

Doesn't this apply itself to La Ronde too? Japan seriously wants us killed don't they? Just hearing the launch of a 12" is loud from Notre-Dame St., imagine a 24" .

But would I have the permission to take pictures of the setup of have a picture of me with a shell for the matter?

Am I permitted? Do I need a permit? Or can I just walk in there?

Pat

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 13:12:11

No. Yes. No.

Sorry.

Paul.

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 15:40:17

No. Yes. No.

Sorry.

It's okay. I had a feeling about that. How can I get this permit?

Pat

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 15:56:55

How can I get this permit?
You have to be 18 first.

Then find the closest ERD Display Fireworks course. Take the course. Then apprentice on three displays and get letters of recommendation from the companies. Send these to ERD. Get your Level 1 Fireworks Supervisor card. Then go to the SQ and get your Permis General d'Explosifs. Once you have all of those, you're legally allowed to be on a fireworks firing site.

Paul.

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 02:19:43

Spekaing of big shells, Edmonton got a couple special treats this past Canada Day. Brad Dezotell from Fireworks Spectaculars shot a 14 and 2 16s in Ottawa a few years back. Must have thought it was cool, cause he's back at it again now out West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHev-yI-yHE
6:59 - 7:12 16" Shell #1 fired in Edmonton on July 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5vvipO_7uw
7:14 - 7:25 16" Shell #2 fired in Edmonton on July 1

Page loading time (sec.): 0.015