Home   Statistics   Registration   Search   Language

More Navigation

Montreal Fireworks Forum —› News —› 2011 Schedule announced - back to 2 displays per w
. 1 . 2 . >>
Last poster Message

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 08:45:02

Just received this press release - a welcome return to the old schedule!!!

Wednesday Fireworks are Back!

Montréal, Wednesday, November 24, 2010 – L’International des Feux Loto-Québec presented by TELUS is pleased to announce the return of Wednesday Fireworks to its calendar of events for the 2011 season. As of June 25, the world’s leading fireworks competition will light up the skies above the city every Saturday until July 30, and on three consecutive Wednesdays: July 13, 20 and 27. Fireworks fans can certainly look forward to a bright and sparkling summer in Montréal!

The 2011 edition of L’International des Feux Loto-Québec presented by TELUS will feature nine 30 minute fireworks. La Ronde looks forward to announcing the participating Countries in the coming weeks!

Starting this Friday, November 26th, at noon, Fireworks fans are invited to get their tickets for what promises to be an outstanding competition. A great gift for yourself as well as friends and family for the Holiday Season!

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 09:23:20

They don't mention the Feu des Étoiles, so it's either 9 participating countries or 8 like last year and a pyrotechnic tribute to someone once again. One thing is for sure : Howard and Sons will be there.

I preferred the new formula, but one has to go with the flow I guess !

I'll have to cope with the fact that the fireworks season now will end three weeks sooner...

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 11:24:15

I was personally hoping that we would retain the current schedule format of once-per-week displays as this would stretch the competition by at least two weeks while making it more flexible for people to attend. Ah well, that's the way it goes, I suppose.

It is curious, though, if we'll have a return of a formal 30 minute closing (maybe by Panzera?) on top of the presumably nine participants. Should that be the case, then perhaps there will be an additional display taking place the following Wednesday on August 3rd - either that or a mini display + awards ceremony scheduled for that day. The alternative is, as STL mentioned, eight entrants, with a closing taking place on July 30th (again either a 30 minute closing or mini-display + awards ceremony structure).

Thanks for the news, Paul.

Trav.

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 17:05:22

I was personally hoping that we would retain the current schedule format of once-per-week displays as this would stretch the competition by at least two weeks while making it more flexible for people to attend.

Personally, I greatly disliked the competition being stretched. It just dragged it on and actually made it harder for people to attend. I know many from the US who like to come but, to make it worth while, it's better if they can see two displays in less than a week or a full three displays in 8 days. Much better "bang for the travel buck". For the competing teams, it's also much much better to have two displays a week since the subsequent competitor gets to witness the current competitor's display. Remember that we are lucky to be able to see the displays easily - for people travelling perhaps half way around the world, it's disappointing not to be able to see at least one other display whilst in Montreal.

It is curious, though, if we'll have a return of a formal 30 minute closing (maybe by Panzera?) on top of the presumably nine participants. Should that be the case, then perhaps there will be an additional display taking place the following Wednesday on August 3rd - either that or a mini display

There will be no display in August - the final display will be the final display and it will be a full 30 minutes. There's a good chance it will be the "Feux d'etoiles" - I, for one, would be happy to see this performed by Panzera so that the awards ceremony is restored to its rightful climax of the competition. For many years, too, there were only 8 competitors - either the organizers save some budget or each display is restored back to the full budget that we used to enjoy.

Paul.

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 22:38:50

As long as the full 30 min "closing" display is restored, the moving twice in a week schedule is fully accepted my me lol

Dan

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 22:39:19   Edited by: PyroDan

Double post ... database stall. Oh well

Looking forward to Italy and France being there this year, I hope

Posted: Nov 24, 2010 23:50:51

I'm very pleased to learn that the traditional 30 minute closing will be returning, while taking place together with the awards ceremony.

As long as the full 30 min "closing" display is restored, the moving twice in a week schedule is fully accepted my me lol

Both schedule layouts have their ups and downs, but I, too, am willing to welcome with open arms any sort of schedule scheme that they can dish up, so long as we get to indulge in a nice formal closing like we delightfully used to witness!

Trav.

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 09:27:00

There will be no display in August - the final display will be the final display and it will be a full 30 minutes. There's a good chance it will be the "Feux d'etoiles" - I, for one, would be happy to see this performed by Panzera so that the awards ceremony is restored to its rightful climax of the competition.

At least, if the Feu des Étoiles is used as the final display, there won't be any worries that the ceremony will take place in front of almost-empty grandstands.

If I'm not mistaken, that was worrying the organizers in 2009, because they only had a 10 minutes display to present afterwards instead of a 30-minutes one. I suppose the feeling was about the same this year, because they only had 2 minutes worth of surplus effects to begin with.

So the question remains : who will they end up paying a tribute to next year ?

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 23:01:31

So the question remains : who will they end up paying a tribute to next year ?

If they stick to their idea, should be a single-male artist.
Bets are open. Paul, Bob, Fred, u can't play. I told you last summer

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 11:43:15

Alright, I cast my vote : Elvis Presley.

Can the "kept in secret" at least know if this person's name is in the Any predictions for the 2011 season topic ?

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 17:40:20

No, STL, I don't think I've seen his name in the prediction post...

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 11:28:07

I'll vote. I'm going to go with Bryan Adams. A little 'Cuts Like A Knife'.

Posted: Dec 13, 2010 17:00:29

Here's the hint of the week :
He's not from Canada. Not from United States.

Posted: Dec 14, 2010 00:15:05

Was he from Italy, had he a rather large belt size and one of the best opera voices ever ?

My weekly guess : Pavarotti. Now, *that* would be something to shoot fireworks on !

Posted: Dec 14, 2010 14:56:10

Elton John.

Posted: Dec 14, 2010 18:17:20

The beatles?

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 14:40:34

The beatles?

Sorry but can't be The Beatles reflections, I said single male artist...

Posted: Dec 16, 2010 14:43:24

Single as in not married?

Paul.

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 16:03:42

Single as in not married?

Single as in not in a band. Singing solo...

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 16:20:32

Single as in not in a band. Singing solo... I was teasing

Paul

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 18:09:54

I was going to say Michael Jackson, but after seeing Mylene's hint, I guess not!

Interesting that we haven't yet seen the list of competitors, or at least the competing countries revealed. Perhaps they're waiting until January like they used to do in 2004 and prior to that year. Either that, or I spoke too soon.

Trav.

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 13:29:45

So, no other bets ?

We have Pavarotti and Elton John so far who fit the solo-artist-not-american-not-canadian criterias... Who else wanna cast their vote in before the announce is made ?

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 16:20:30

David Bowie would be a good one or maybe Sting. I wonder how popular Tom Jones is over here? Not quite fireworks music, though. Elvis Costello would be an excellent choice.

Paul.

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 10:23:25   Edited by: STL

My new weekly guess :

Paul McCartney, as he's been quite popular recently in Quebec with his show on the Abraham Plains and in the Bell Centre here in Montreal.

He also have quite a lot of good songs to shoot fireworks on, such as Live and Let Die (as seen in "Build a Dream" at the good ol' PGI), Ebony and Ivory (I would see silver ghost shells on this song, to truly link with the song's theme), Band on the Run (comet chases on the intro) and also pick from the songs he composed with the Beatles like he does in his shows.

Does it fit the bill, Mylène ? You should get some prize for the one that finally manages to get it right !

STL

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 12:34:50

David Bowie would be a good one or maybe Sting. I wonder how popular Tom Jones is over here? Not quite fireworks music, though. Elvis Costello would be an excellent choice.

Wow Paul, how do you do that ? It's like you don't know !

OK, suspense is (almost) over. Someone got it right !!! (And no there is no prize, sorry !)

I will let you debate amongst Pavarotti, Elton John, David Bowie, Sting, Tom Jones, Elvis Costello or Paul Mc Cartney. The answer will come with the press release in a few days I believe.

Again, this is all according to what I was told last summer... Don't shoot the messenger if L'International changed their mind...

Mylene.

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 19:43:56

Wow, if it's indeed Pavarotti, I'll be buying the tickets as soon as they go on sale ... humm, on second thought, not before I hear which company will take care of this masterpiece

Dan

Posted: Jan 13, 2011 17:28:02

Wow, if it's indeed Pavarotti, I'll be buying the tickets as soon as they go on sale
and quite the opposite for me, I would NOT but tickets for a Pavarotti show -simply because I just do not enjoy his music. That would be the thing with such a specific style of artist, you would end up with people having strong opinions one way or the other. I would think it'll be more of a middle of the road type artist, something that is more appealing to the general masses.

When does one think we'll see the 2011 companies? I have seen the Australia rumours/website annoucement, have a good idea on a couple other companies, would love to confirm my informant's info...

Posted: Jan 14, 2011 14:20:14

When does one think we'll see the 2011 companies?

I was actually going to pose the same question earlier. Perhaps the 2011 schedule will be revealed at the end of January, like in 2004?

At least the longer day length is a little more noticeable since over the last few days now, although this coming week (today included) is going to be typical January with a fair dose of snow from tomorrow's (Saturday, the 15th) clipper system and potentially from another during Tuesday to early Wednesday (snow is temperature dependent for the second system). Before and after these systems are below seasonal temperatures.

Trav.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 15:21:11

Just a few days to wait guys... Companies will be announced next week !

Posted: Feb 5, 2011 09:27:04

Hope to see Vaccalluzzo in the shedule ! PLEASE.
. 1 . 2 . >>

Page loading time (sec.): 0.025